Pittsburgh, PA
Duquesne University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Duquesne University

jasel

Wow, well I would certainly tell myself a lot of things. I would definitely tell myself to stay focused and get work finished early. I would also tell myself to apply for many scholarships. Lastly I would tell myself that going off to college will be the best but most challenging years of your life. The transition will be easy but the work load and trying to balance a real job with school is the most difficult part!

There is not enough diversity or school spirit. Its not an ideal college experience as far as sporting events go.

Crystal

Our school is known for helping students become educated in both school and life. This school has helped students prepare for a career and just gain wisdom and knowlege for life. In my opinon, students that are both well rounded and wise make for the best candidates for jobs. Duquesne teaches responsibility, respect, perserverence, and wisdom along with giving students an education.

While high school tries to ready you for the adventures and perils of college, please be prepared that college is everything and nothing you expected. While you may predict the difficulty of classes, the degree of home-sickness, and the ungodly emphasis on drinking, there is much that will surprise you. First, friendships take longer to form than the first few weeks of school. Friends that stick closer than a brother may develop after years of hard-work, investment, and sacrifice and that is ok and natural. Secondly, there are two kinds of students in college—well there are more, but only two you need to worry about—students that want to pass the class and students that genuinely want to learn. It is time for you to develop a passion for learning and not just passing, because it is these students who will change the world. Finally, life will not always go the way you picture—an important life lesson to learn early. During school a death, a sickness, a divorce, a breakup, or any unpredicted struggle will come your way and may change your life goals and dreams. Do not be overcome, but grow, press-on, and thrive.

Depending on your major and your specific classes and teachers, some classes can be a waste of time and money. I have had multiple teachers that do not know how to teach and mearly read off or power-point slides with no further imput. For the time I put into classes I get frustrated when educated professors seem to mearly waste my time and not add to my knowlege or skills. The best advice I can give, is to love learning and learn to be a self-motivated life time learner.

Yaxin

Duq is a great school. I am a transfer and international student, so this makes me special all the time. I don't know what to do sometimes, but people here always help me out. Teachers and classmates are friendly and patient, mostly.

We have all kinds of students here. Maybe it is because our school is a christian school, so most of students are nice and behaviors right. I have never heard student in my school did something bad.

I don't really know about groups here, but I have been involved in SWSG (strong women strong girls) program. This is a volunteer group, aiming at help girls in primary school to know how to be a strong women in the future.

Students here are hard-working, friendly and amazing! They treat me as their friends, and they also respect me.

Academics in Duq are fine. I mean, I haven't learned so much about my major yet, but I can feel that everyone is hard-working here. And what's the important is, the collage offers all the great facilities for students to study.

Heather

If we had a stereotype it would be laid-back kids who like to party on the weekends, but work really hard and buckle down around exam time. We get stuff done!

Marguerite

The school is best known for it's Business, Nursing, Health Sciene and Law schools.

Dear Marguerite, As the time comes for you to leave your little town and venture out into the world there is something I want you to always remember. Be brave and trust yourself. You've always known who you are but don't be afraird to expand on that, to explore yourself. You are going to make mistakes but you will never learn anything if you keep holding onto the fear of change. Make sacrafices. You won't always get to go out with your friends so thoroughly enjoy the times that you do. Never forget to make time for those friends of yours because they will be there for you in some of the most trying times you never saw coming. And when you have to study (and you know they should too) don't be afraid to encourage them to evolve and grow. Hold them to their own standards. And last but not least, remember this is all a lesson. It's more than the test scores, presentations, and projects. This is about you. Learn, grow, enjoy, and experience because you'll never get an opportunity like this again. Love, Marguerite

The best thing about Duquesne is it's well-rounded liberal arts education. I would not have been offered the opportunites I have if it had not been for those liberal arts classes and learning how to think outside of the box. My education there was truly invaluable

Jordan

Duquesne may have its problems, but its still my school.

Duquesne may have its problems, but its still my school.

You're entering college... I know you've faced many trials getting here, but Jordan, I believe in you...Know this, everything you do from this point on, make sure it’s done with a purpose. You're going to make mistakes, make friends, overload, fall in love, deal with ignorance, and question your entire belief system. However, I know you won't for second lose your resolve or forget why you’re in college. Don’t focus on your life in high school whether it be negative or positive. Figure out what your mark in college is going to be and figure out with whom you’re going to make it. This life is short and at times it can be unforgiving, but you know that already...Listen a lot of people in college won't understand the circumstances you come from or the experiences you've had, but that’s ok...Let all those things motivate you more and more! So you never forget your ambitions… Because the road isn't always clear, but I swear to you Jordan, if you stay true to who you are and what’s got you here, there’s no limit.

Freshmen have it the worst. The longer you've been at the school, the more opportunities for better housing. However, for incoming freshman St. Martins & St. Ann’s are extremely small and they often force three people to live in a room. These "forced" triple rooms, which, were the same size as a two person room. There exist poor communication between the Office of Admissions and the Office of Resident Life. Too many students are admitted each year and are often forced to live in unfit conditions.

jacqueline

I would tell myself: "Apply early, apply for more than one school, and don't enlist in the Navy. Make the choices that are in your own best interest. Focus on your future and get plenty of sleep. Most important, wait one year before joining a sorority in college, it's totally different from the movies. It will get you into more trouble than you need. Study hard and get to class on time. You won't win all your battles, but you'll eventually win the war."

Youstina

My school is best known for its outstanding Pre-medical and Pharmacy programs and offering its students various research opportunities at an early stage in their educational career. It is also known for its amazing teaching staff who are very cooperative with their students offering them help whenever needed.

In high school , I was a very hard working student that likes to put forth her best effort and performance. As a result, I was able to maintain a 4.25 G.P.A throughout my high school years. Therefore, If I could go back to being a high school senior, I would not change any of my high school academic pursuits. Since high school, I was careful to maintain a balance in my day providing a specified amount of time for each of my activities. As a result, I would advice myself to maintain both the academic rigor and the daily balance as both are very important aspects of success both in college and in daily life. Also, I would advice myself to avoid the constant fear that emerges during the first week of college. Instead, I would advice myself to be courageous and tell myself that I would perform greatly as long as I work hard and be presistent. I would also ask myself to maintain my organized weekly schedule scheduling important weekly events as it is extremely necessary in college to maintain self-preparation and organization to ensure academic success.

My school allows various students various work opportunities but it specifies certain types of work to upperclassmen preventing some of the freshmen from adopting work environments that requires more experience. This is an unfavorable idea because freshmen should be allowed to adopt such an intensive work if they possess prior experience before attending college.

MEGAN

classmates at Duquesne are willing to go the extra mile in order to share their notes with you if you miss a day, pick you up when your down, and band together to fight for what is right.

Its in the inner heart of PIttsburgh so there's always something to do, look at, or attend while experiencing the city to the fullest.

When deciding where I wanted to go for college, I made silly decisions based on friends and my relationship. If I could go back, I'd have chosen to go somewhere I could play lacrosse, save money, and still make friends with people similar to me. When I began college, I let others mold me into who they wanted me to be. I ended up a victim of mental and physical abuse, which caused me to transfer colleges. Now, I'm a strong woman and stand up for myself as soon as I see signs that someone is trying to hurt or change me. Looking back now, being the woman I've grown up to be, I wouldn't have waited until my sophomore year of college to stand up to a boy. Instead, I would have fought back the moment he raised his voice, tossed me around, or dragged me by my hair. I think thats the most important thing about transitioning into college: knowing who you are and not letting anyone treat you or tell you differently. Staying true to who you are is the hardest (and most rewarding) part of the college experience.

It's nursing department is renowned in our area. Stemming from the catholic tradition of tending to the sick, it has a long tradition of training the most prepared and knowledgable nurses in the region.

If I were able to give advice to myself at age 18, I would not do it. First of all, there is no advice that I would have heeded at age 18. I was stubborn, clever, and too proud to admit that anyone could know more than myself. More importantly, I am only successful now because of all of the things that I screwed up then. I had to learn the consequences of not paying attention to the money that I spent before I could appreciate the need to stick to a budget. I cared more about how impressive my career sounded to other people, than how I wanted to spend my days. Now that I am returning to school for my second degree, I have no doubts about my career path. This confidence was given to me by my 18 year old self who chose completely wrong things for our life. I could tell myself to work harder and get better grades, but because she partied and had a social life I have another dimension of experiences. I have made mistakes in the last 10 years, but I have no regrets.

I am in the second degree nursing program, so I have limited experience with the other students. The best person for my program is someone who is academically and career focused. This is not the program for a student who is still discovering themselves. This program consists of 24 credits per semester and will leave little time for a social life.

Duquesne University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.