Eastern Illinois University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Eastern Illinois University

Kamden

This is a very good school for someone looking for a medium size campus with a smaller local town. There isn’t much to do for fun but there are more things to do if you’re willing to travel to neighbouring towns. The campus is beautiful and there are always friendly faces. Professors are super understanding and it’s relatively affordable. Overall it is a very nice school.

Alyssa

Eastern is nice but the dining hall food is really unhealthy and there aren't any stores other than Walmart.

Erica

Eastern Illinois University is a great school, it is a great small community with great staff on hand always ready to help out. Eastern is a safe environment and we look out for each other here. Eastern has good sports and is D1 so if you wanna play you can walk on if you are really good. The food here is decent they can improve in that area. Academics are great and professors are always willing to help.

Mariam

I wasn't sure what to think at first, but I grew to love EIU. People there are helpful and welcoming; there is a very tight sense of community. There are a variety of groups for a variety of interests and I appreciate that they cater to a diverse population. Classes are all within walking distance from on-campus housing. Professors and tutors are always available outside of the classroom, and campus feels very safe. All in all, I would say EIU is a great school.

Cara

Eastern Illinois University is a state school with a small-school atmosphere. On any given day, I saw friends and acquaintances on my walks to class. Attending EIU really helped me understand what it meant to be a part of something bigger than myself, which can be attributed to the strong sense of community on campus. The strong sense of community was also felt in the residence halls, where I met my forever friends. The multitude of campus activities and organizations grants the opportunity for students to establish a presence on campus. The small class sizes and personable faculty facilitate strong connections between professors and students; making these connections with professors is vital for individuals pursuing graduate school or any careers that require letters of recommendation or professional references. Attending EIU was the best decision of my life. I really evolved as a person, broadened my academic and social horizons, and found my home-away-from-home. Additionally, with the help of fantastic professors and academic advisors, I discovered my true passion of working with K-12 students and found a graduate program within the same school that fit my needs for continuing my education. Regardless of how utterly cliche I may sound, I can honestly say, "I am EIU," and I bleed blue.

Jocelyn

Eastern Illinois University has variety with things to do around campus. The vibe of the school is pretty friendly-- people are accepting here and are willing to help if you're in need. Eastern's size is nice, you can walk from the north part of campus to the south part of campus in 7 to 10 minutes. Class sizes are reasonable, I never feel like I'm competing with classmates for a professor's attention. Professors are usually available through office hours, by email, or phone. David Glassman, the president of the university, sent emails to let students know what was going on during the budget crisis, which helped ease the minds of students who heard several rumors and weren't sure what was going on with the university. I'm enjoying my time here and glad I decided to further my education in a comfortable environment like Eastern Illinois University.

Overall, Eastern Illinois University is a great college depend (depending on what you are looking for). Eastern is the second cheapest state school in Illinois. This means less student loans! It is also a very small town, which means you are more likely to have better networking opportunities as well as more personal/social connections. I have met some of my closest friends at this college. I have also gained professional relationships with professors that provide with me letter of recommendations for the future, and understanding/empathy, and greater resources for learning. I have utilized office hours as well as confided in my professors in terms of what is best for my future. At a larger school, this is impossible. What is great about Eastern is that the smaller classroom size/community will benefit your future in the long run. Some of Eastern's programs are also outstanding. When I chose my major, I knew Eastern had one of the best programs for it in the state (and surrounding states). I have gained a ton of clinical experience and knowledge that will benefit me throughout my education and career journeys. Aside from this, the rest of the campus is pretty average. However, I would highly recommend. It is a very safe, homey environment.

Kendall

The atmosphere of Eastern is very inviting. The students and faculty are very friendly. The student body is very diverse there is a place for everyone.

Madhuram

Eastern Illinois is one of the best school in Illinois state and the place Charleston is awesome with pleasant, calm environment. There are many other programs outside the campus like wesley foundation where we can get a chance to serve poor, learn many things not only the subject but also about community. It makes students to learn many things with culture in diversity.

Miranda

I quite enjoy EIU as a current student. The students and faculty are friendly here and alumni of the campus rave about the university. However, there is not a lot to do outside of campus; Charleston can be boring at times and if you need to go somewhere outside of Walmart then you have to drive all the way to Champaign which is about an hour away. The food is pretty good on campus and the scenery is decent but nothing extraordinary.

Nick

Eastern Illinois University is a safe campus with very accessible professors and tutors. There is plenty of things to do. The sports teams are very good and there is always an event to go to watch or see. Overall Eastern is a great campus to be on..

Sodiq

great

Great teaching school! They really care about you and want you to be successful. Eastern Illinois University is pretty financially friendly and they help you find scholarships. The campus is easy to get around and everyone there is super friendly and helpful.

Ashlee

Eastern Illinois University is a community. Whether you are sprinting across campus to get to class or visiting Walmart for the hundredth time, it is likely that you will run into someone you know. Classes are typically small and professors are accessible so you can meet new people and get the assistance that you need without feeling like you're just a student ID number or a dollar amount. Speaking of dollar amounts, did I mention that books are rented instead of purchased? Yeah, Eastern is one of the very few colleges that actually let you rent your texts books for a small fee rather than having a $500 book collecting dust underneath your bed for the rest of eternity. Now that we've covered some of the logistics, let's chat about the social scene. Yes, there are many attractive men and women around campus and most people are pretty friendly. Luckily for most of us that whole, "social hierarchy" that plagued us in high school is irrelevant in college and EIU is the perfect place to re-invent yourself and find a diverse group of people that you can truly vibe with. I could probably tell you a million stories about how I happened to cross paths with someone that I thought could be my "soul mate" or my "BFF" in the bathroom of Styx or Marty's while I was trying to pull myself together to take another shot. Would I attend Eastern Illinois again if I had the chance to relive my undergraduate experience? Absolutely. Would I slack off and also end up having to tack on an extra "super senior semester" to that experience? I probably should say no, but my answer is still yes.

Tyrese

Eastern Illinois University is honestly the perfect choice to me. From the moment I applied, the university has made my admissions experience THE greatest. I have 12 days until I move onto campus, and I am so excited to know that I already know most of my professors, as well as a grasp on the Registered Student Organizations around campus. I plan to join a few!

Chad

I believe that Eastern Illinois University is a very diverse campus. It helps me become a better adult and aware of my surroundings from others that are different from me. The school provides an excellent class environment that allows me to connect with my professor’s and fellow scholars. Eastern is the cheapest University to attend in Illinois.

Evee

To be entirely honest, I love Eastern so much. I transferred here from a community college that was close to my home, so my first year here is as a junior. This is a small school and it is amazing, everything can be reached in no more than a ten-minute walk. Coming from a small town, and a bunch of small schools, I really love the atmosphere that Eastern has. There is a great sense of community due to the small size. I chose to live in Stevenson which is for transfer students, or those who are over the age of 21. The suite style living arrangement has helped me a lot. I found great roommates and we spend a lot of time together and it’s a great feeling to feel so comfortable and welcome in my home away from home. Coming from small schools, the classes here at Eastern are perfect for me. All of the classes here are pretty small and it is easy for you to feel like the professor hears you and wants you to participate in class. The teachers are all great at getting to know who you are, and that makes classes so much better, that knowledge that you aren’t just a nameless body filling a seat to be lectured at. All of the teachers are very open and easy to talk to. They encourage class discussions, and also for students to see them during office hours. It is so easy for students to get in touch with their professors here, they really stick to their office hours and are always there unless they say otherwise. Overall, the sense of community here is like nothing else and it is such an amazing place to further your education. The advisors really are there for you and hope to help you do everything that you need for achieving your goals.

Kathleen

I absolutely love Eastern, as it feels like a home away from home truly. The classes are evenly sized and give a better connection to the professors. The professors are also willing to give the extra time to make sure you are on track and understand the material fully. Hands down one of the best choices I have ever made.

Christyna

Eastern Illinois University is a close knit community. I absolutely love EIU, and you can tell all the students and staff do as well. The staff in all departments really makes sure the students are striving. There are lots of things to do on and off campus. Academics is the main feature here like it should be and it is the most important thing to everyone here at EIU.

Grace

I love it here. The professors are wonderful and always willing to help. My peers are kind and brilliant people. The facilities and courses I believe are best preparing me for my future life.

Christy

I never thought as a transfer that I would be able to call a University my home, but within just a week at EIU I met my group of friends, all of my professors in both the English and Secondary Education departments, and I've participated and joined multiple on campus organizations. Eastern isn't just a school, it's a safe, welcoming, and nurturing environment where you can explore every one of your interests freely. Though the town of Charleston is small and there really isn't much to do other than hiking and on campus activities, the next town over has restaurants, shopping, movies, and farmer's markets. Eastern is worth the trip to see how amazing a campus can be.

Josey

I would choose this school over and over again.

Cristina

Eastern Illinois University my home for the next four years. There is so much to say about this school. Everything is great and I don't say that just to say it. Students and faculty are very kind hearted. Everyone here makes you feel like they support you on your journey to where ever you go. On campus, you can find so many things to do. Students are outside standing for what they believe in and no one is ever let down. The school is one big family.

chelsea

Eastern is a very good school to attend. The food could be better, but what cafeteria food is ideal? They are all about the students safety, but a lot of crime goes on that isn't told or properly taken care of. As far as education goes, I am glad I chose to be apart of EIU.

Charity

Overall I love the campus, it's a friendly and amsafe environment and the staff are very helpful.

Vianeth

Its Great

Julia

This is by far one of the greatest campuses in Illinois and is the second safest campus in Illinois. Each professor on this campus has 1-14 students in the classroom. And even though this campus is small everyone is always happy here and we welcome everyone here with a smile and to show our pride off.

Alana

Where do I even begin with this school. I have attended EIU for one year and I can honestly say that I have found my home away from home. There is a wide range of classes and most professors make the content as exciting as possible. Greek life is very important to me and Eastern has made it inclusive. The food could be better but I mean, I guess it is as good as a small school can afford. Basically this school is my home and all i want is to be able to go back!

Jesse

I absolutely love the campus and everyone on it. Can't wait till next fall to be apart of campus. Now yes, there are problem's on campus but, most of them are caused by the stupidity of others. Also, what place does not have problem's, nobody can name one place that doesn't have a single problem.

I love Eastern Illinois University. I feel at home. I came to college expecting to hate it and to be secluded in my room, but no. I have a lot of new friend, a great on-campus job, a great roommate, the food is pretty good, the staff and teachers care, great RA's, friendly environment, opportunities, and more! It's an amazing school.

Shelby

EIU does an excellent job keeping me informed of academic deadlines, such as registering for classes and available campus activities. EIU staff seem to really care and work hard to ensure their students are successful at college. The campus vibe is positive everywhere you go.

Diana

I decided to attend Estern Illinois University because they had told me that it was a very diverse school. I came to the school and saw that it was not very diverse throughtout the hispanic field. I saw this and it made me determined to make a change in the school and attract more hispanic students to Eastern. I also enjoy how Eastern offers a variety of clubs to join. They have LASO ( Latin American Students Organization ) and they even have a greek life that revolves around this hispanic culture. They students are also very open minded about learning about new cultures and different backgrounds. Everyone is very friendly at Easten Illinois University.

Justin

Eastern is a very great school for people that need space and need to study. I love the environment and all the people on and off campus. I would definitely recommend. If you need help there are so many outlets and just students in general that are so into their studies they would help and eve give strategies on better ways to study. Numerous study groups and other activities are also available to all the students that need it and everyone event I attended was very organized and very fun to watch.

Kylwon

I like the school and feel like the people here care about you. its small and the classes have a couple of students in them ,but it is great one on one time. i like that we can come together as a community sometimes. i feel we could be a little more diverse.

Sierra

Eastern Illinois University feels like home when you step on campus. It's a welcoming vibe that everyone that visits love. Just from visiting the academics seem like the teachers actually puts their all in everything they do and I think it's a wonderful thing to do. If a teacher loves what they're doing, then the students will enjoy being in class and that's exactly what EIU does. Eastern Illinois University is the place to go!

Eastern Illinois University offers an array of courses, and doesn't seem to lean too heavily into any political side. Unless you manage to develop a good friend group or bring a car to campus there won't be too much for you to do as this school is located in a small town.

kylira

Overall, I think deciding to go to Eastern is a great choice. You'll be able to experience meeting new people, diverse sports. great academics, and just overall good old college fun. I love how comfortable everyone makes you feel. I came into college thinking I was going to be scary,but lots of people helped me in various ways.

estela

I really enjoy EIU. One of the reasons I decided on this school was because of how comfortable the campus felt. Everyone is really friendly and there are always activities to do. I feel like have already learned so much in one semester and I know I will continue to learn from our great professors.

I'm madly in love with Eastern Illinois University, I'm really glad that I'm a student there, and Blue is one of my favorite colors. The classes are fun and the people there are really sweet, they make me feel right at home, they make me feel safe, and their really understanding to. The food there is to die for, I love it. In a way, I feel as if I'm in perfect sync with the school and it's people. I love Eastern Illinois University and the people there feel like family to me.

Abby

Very happy so far with my experience at EIU. The professors have been very helpful. The resident assistants are very helpful. The campus is clean and safe. There are many activities to get involved in. I enjoy going to the sporting events and cheering on the athletes.

Eastern Illinois University is an interesting school. Lots of life around the campus on the weekend. Obviously stressed students constantly walking around campus. most of the professors care more about a pay check or having tenure than actually teaching students or caring about their classes. But, they have excellent arts programs, hiking trails, activities, and variety on on campus food. There's events and activities going on almost everyday! and lastly, EIU has a fantastic Library with new apple computers. All of the students bleed blue at EIU!

Beyonce

Eastern Illinois University actually wasn't my first choice college. This school was my last option and I really didn't want to go here because of the campus scenery. I just thought it wasn't beautiful enough. But then some things came up and I had no choice but to come here or University of Illinois at Chicago. I chose Eastern Illinois University. My reason for choosing this school was the distance from my house it's 4 hours away from where I live. However, my first day on campus was an experience to remeber I met so many new people and eventually over time me and my roommate got really close. She is like my sister now! For me what made me stay was the people like the school me be bland or dry but the people are amazing and they love to interact with new people. I have a combination of upperclassmen and underclassmen friends. I'm even friends with some of the Greeks. Next, the classroom sizes are so small that my own professor knows my name but decides to give mean nickname. My English professor calls me “Queen B”. The one thing I also like about the classroom sizes is being able to interact with my teachers and them telling me what I need to work on. Then, the food here at EIU could be better but honestly it’s not that bad you have Stevenson, Thomas, and Taylor dining halls. My favorite is probably Stevenson they have the best breakfast there and it’s so good to me. Thomas is known for there pasta and Taylor is known for there chicken tenders. The union that we have on campus is called the MLK union and inside you have options to eat Subway, Panther-grill, Charleston Market, and chick fil-a. I usually go to the Charleston Market only because they have different food options like burgers, mozzarella sticks and fries. Really good I say try that when you come here. All in all, Eastern Illinois University is a great school like coming here you will see how nice and caring people are even how willing they are to help you. We are all like one big family and want to see each other succeed.

Jackson

Eastern is an interesting case for a state school. It is aware that there is no money in the Illinois budget for them, took the appropriate steps to accommodate and keep their prices relatively low. They're more realistic with their expectations of students and faculty and is in most cases serviceable to okay. This is not a premiere education facility, with some buildings either no longer in use or no longer up to code with multiple projects across the campus that are half finished; and have been for the last ten+ years. (the elevator in the student services building has been paid for and sitting in a closet uninstalled for the last couple years) Technologically Eastern is okay, but not really completely up to date. There are many computer labs and areas of service across the campus of varying functional abilities, some of which can't even run a word processing program without lag. Over the next three years they are either going to need to update their computers or just discontinue the service because of their lack of power. Bring your own laptop if you do go here. The culture is very introverted, students don't like talking or being near one another. A lot aggressively holding onto to either preexisting cliques or falling into the false paradigm of, "my adult friend group." Living on campus is a bonus if you're looking to make friends—I feel sympathy for anyone that has to commute with the grand theft autos that have been taking place in the guest parking lots. With over one hundred active RSOs, around forty of them are actually active so for some Greek is the only way to meet their social requirements. Education is not really that great here, with a deliberate butchering the the staff with changes in policy, union violations and just firing teachers they shouldn't have. They are in the process of rebuilding their staff but there are some professors (with tenure) that could care less that you learn anything. Focused on themselves they don't like answering questions about the material in any extra way and will stick strictly to their instructional material. The quality of which is abysmal with some of the professors here making the required book one they either co-authored or wrote themselves. Administration is horrible, and if you bother to look into the processes that involve the students you'll find an extreme lack of confidence. Those in charge do not hold themselves to an acceptable level of professionalism and are easy to despise. They're good people but failures when it comes to defining the leadership roles they hold. I hope they can get it together.

Timothy

My opinion of EIU, is honestly I have no bad things to say about it, I really love the school and the dynamic fo how it is. Like when you go to EIU, there’s always this sense if I’m at home, and because it’s sort of a small campus, you get to know people very quickly

LaTasha

Needs improvement. The food could be much better, it's really disgusting. The unity of the campus could be much better but instead everything is so segregated. The dorms are disgusting, you're paying thousands of dollars for a half of a shoe box. It needs improvement with better professors as well, I've experienced some really harsh and noncaring professors.