Ferris State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Ferris State University

Mackenzie

I like it, but it is very clique related. You have to be popular, play sports, or be attractive to fit in. So far I have enjoyed my classes, and was happy with my professors. Since covid, there hasn't been much of activities or things to do, which isn't a fun experience as a first year.

Kaylea

I honestly couldn't have picked a bettercollege and have never been happier with the decision I made to have Ferris State University be the college I attend. I am a current student at Ferris attending their online campus program and I absolutely LOVE IT! I have always preferred online classes over the traditional on campus classes and Ferris had just the perfect business program for me! They accepted way more credit than any other university I looked into and they made the transition from my community college to them beyond easy and everyone has been so helpful. I also for the very first time had an academic adviser who cared about my education and never treats me like an inconvenience or like I am bothering her when I ask the many questions I have. She always answers my questions in a timely manner, has helped me created a schedule to follow from the time I started with Ferris until the time I graduate, she sends me reminders when tuition is due and also when it is time to register for classes, and she even helped me with how to go about getting my transcripts sent over from my community college. All of these things are things I never received from my adviser at my community college so it was definitely a breath of fresh air to have an adviser that is willing to help me, cares about my education, and is always there to answer my questions. All other faculty members I have interacted with since I started at Ferris have also been extremely helpful and show that they truly care about the students who attend their school. The online resources/program/interface that I use for my classes, accessing my billing information, the area for registering for classes, where I apply for scholarships, and many other features needed for students is also very easy to use and well layed out. So overall, I couldn't ask for a better college and I will definitely always recommend this college to anyone.

Raelyn

I transferred to Ferris from Michigan State. It was smaller than what I was use to, but I love it. I am so happy I made the decision to transfer. The sports are amazing and everyone is always attending every game that is on campus. I think it is a very safe college as well. The professors are friendly and there are so many student organizations to join! Ferris State University is a great school and has become my home.

They never shoveled the sidewalks in the winter and I had to leave for class super early to safely get across campus. The staff is mediocre, and there is room for lots of improvement. The library is always loud. Many people like the school, but I guess it is just not for me.

Quinton

I think Ferris State is a great place to make friends real fast and be accepted into the community relatively easily. The campus food is not far away at all and I can reach it in a minute or two on foot. The class sizes are excellent as well except for the science majors which have giant lecture halls have sometimes over 100 students. The faculty is very helpful for the most part except for a select few. Overall it is a great experience.

Alexandra

I was pleasantly surprised with Ferris' dining and rooming. Some of the professors are not that great, but for the most part I have no complaints with the quality of professors and their teaching. There is a bit of a party scene, but it is easy enough to avoid.

Brooke

Being able to attend Ferris State University these past few years, has been a big achievement of mine. This school is an amazing school. We have amazing professors that care about how well you are learning and are always available to help you. Our fellow students are there and always are available when you have questions or interests in their clubs or extracurricular activities. The more you're here, the more you love it. Ferris State truly does become a second home.

Angie

I'm a student at Kendall College of Art and Design which is under/owned by Ferris and it's a great school for those interested in pursuing arts. It's a fairly small school but its perfect for those who are not used to big populated schools or who grew up in a small town. The leaders there care about their students and are always willing to help a student who is struggling financially so they can keep going to their school. I honestly never heard of such a caring institution than this school here. It is rare to find colleges who put their students first. Every one there is extremely talented and the professors there are always responding to their emails from students and also recommend their students to big jobs once they graduate and there are a lot of connections outside of Kendall. We have many students who went to work for big time companies like Disney and other movie industry etc. The work study program there is also a bug help to those struggling financially and its a pretty decent size, not to big and not to small. It's also right downtown so we're in the midst of shopping district and apartments and the bus system there is great and free for the Dash bus downtown. I recommend this school for any art students, it's great and becoming more and more diverse in race/ethnicities with students all the way from Asia coming to study here along with Caribbeans , Europeans and Mexicans; also the black American community is growing here as well.

Alex

It is a good place to go to for certain majors that you are looking for. The teachers are available on certain days, and at times can be texted too. The students there focus on their learning and often practice their majors and talk about them most of the time. The people there are social and encourage activities that promote social bonding and be a part of something big.

Desiree

Although it is a smaller university, I love that Ferris is big enough to have cultural diversity, a large number and variety of student organizations (recreation, faith-based, hobbies, academic, fraternities, sororities, etc.) where everybody is able to find a group of people with similar interests and goals, activities or speakers to go to, great sports programs that get the Bulldogs excited to support the teams, and be able to provide a wide variety of resources and help to the students. There are many good things about Ferris being a smaller university too such as small class sizes, classes are taught by professors and not TA's, instructor availability outside of class, a relatively small campus, and the opportunity to have multiple classes with many of the same people. You get the best of both worlds at Ferris. Go Bulldogs!

Eric

To begin with, along with all typical majors, Ferris offers and excels at several specialized degree programs, and all of these have great job placement after college, Surveying engineering being one of them. Being a relatively small university the class sizes are not too big and provide a semi intimate learning experience and promote friendships with classmates. I personally don't participate in many student activities but I am always aware of events through email. The town of Big Rapids, MI doesn't have a ton to offer but there is usually entertainment to be found. In addition, if you are an outdoors type person there is a plenty of state land, lakes, and national forest to hike, hunt and fish on. I have had a great time so far at Ferris, and would recommend it to anyone looking at colleges.

Brenda

It is a good school with a great welding program.

Kelsey

My Papa used to work up at Ferris State University as the Dean of men students. My opinion about Ferris State University is they make me feel mean as a Bulldog. As a baby I went to my first Football game when I was five months old. I was adopted as their Junior mascot.

Caylah

It is a great and very big university, with an extraordinary amount of extra activities and clubs. Ferris' orientations and tours of campus are inviting and friendly. I love the campus and the environment that goes along with the campus. Go Bulldogs!

Dillon

I am currently in my junior year at Ferris, and while their have been some struggles, I always felt that their was always someone I could talk to that would help me figure what steps I should take next or explain a difficult topic to me, so my overall opinion of Ferris is that it there is always someone willing to help, you just have to ask.

Johnathan

Overall Ferris is a great school, but you get out of it what you put in. There are plenty of opportunities available to students both professionally and academically.

Carline

It is a good school to go to if you can handle being away from home. The academics are good and the resources available to students are great. Some professors are bad and should not be teachers but for the most part they are good. The housing and dining are pretty good, a lot better if you get a single room.

Kendal

Ferris State university is a great university. The professors are willing to help when they can, but they always make sure it is your decision. They provide all the tools for you but it is your job to take control and use the tools. Campus life is fun for the outgoing, there is always something going on from sports to clubs to speakers. One should never fins themselves bored.

Ferris is a good school. I enjoy myself while I'm there, and the campus is a very nice size. It's not very close to the downtown Big Rapids area and I wish that there was a shuttle that could take me there, if only on the weekends. The food at Ferris is good, which is very important to me, and the library is in a sensible location given the overall hub of campus, even if the building is farther away from my dorm than I, personally, like.

Paige

I go to the art school within Ferris, Kendall College of Art and Design, and I really do enjoy it. I've visited Ferris and liked what I saw but was happy with my choice to be placed downtown Grand Rapids, in a smaller school. It's a very nice university!

Cynthia

I love this college. I think the facilities are beyond what I expected. The library is open late for easy access and the gym is well equipped for whatever workouts I feel like doing. campus is super easy to navigate and the staff is very welcoming and helpful.

Sira

Ferris State University is a fun and safe college to attend. The teachers are always there to help you and it is easy to make a lot of friends on campus. Whether you live on campus or off campus Ferris still tries to keep everyone involved in activities and RSO's. Overall I think Ferris is a great college.

Jacob

Ferris State University is one of Michigan's medium-sized schools located in Big Rapids, Michigan of Mecosta County. The community is revolved around close connections with your friends and smiling at strangers. As opposed to larger schools Ferris' benefits are having close-knit friend groups that you will have forever and ever, being located next to a state park and the campus-student engagement. However being in a far away town from any big cities students feel like they are running circles in town trying to find out what to do next and end up just drinking with their friends. Overall I enjoyed my time and the friends I made at Ferris. Go Bulldogs!

Summer

This is a great university with small class sizes, many degree options and great academics as well as extra curriculars. Most professors are very helpful and definitely want to see their students succeed. Ferris has a wide range of activities and clubs to keep you busy outside of the academics.

John

Ferris State is a reasonable school. It's cheap, and the professors and staff do care about their students. The course work for most classes is relatively lax in comparison to other schools. There are parties on the weekends but there are never a lot to choose from. The campus is literally in the middle of nowhere.

Ambre

Ferris State University is a career focused college. It encourages students to take classes that will improve marketable skills after graduation. It's a good college for students looking to graduate with a degree in the medical industry, engineering technology, or business administration fields.

I am a Kendall College of Art and Design student, which is technically under Ferris State University. I can't really tell you anything about Ferris as it is actually an hour away from the KCAD campus in downtown Grand Rapids, MI. However, I can tell you that Kendall is an amazing place to study. I always feel challenged and engaged here. I also feel included by the students and we have tight community within our school. Though there is no campus housing or sports we find other ways to stay connected even past graduation. I would recommend KCAD to everyone.

Tara

Ferris State University is a wonderful institute that provides students multiple opportunities to learn inside and outside of the classroom. Several cultural events are provided throughout the year as well as other activities that students can enjoy such as crafts or movie showings in the quad. Overall, Ferris is a college that provides its students with a safe environment to learn and grow.

Zoe

I love it there. All of the staff and students are very friendly. I always feel very welcome. I have made many friends on and off campus, but through Ferris. If I need help, it is very clear where I can go to get that help. Staff is available by email at all times.

My overall opinion about Ferris is that it is a meh college. There are good and bad things about this college. A tragic thing is that they don't support the art community at all. They don't even offer degrees for art in the actual community their main campus is built on. I mean, they do have an Art History Major, but what I'm talking about is illustration, choir, band, and visual arts. They would be outraged if someone asked if they could have a liberal arts degree. This is ridiculous because the Big Rapids community is heavily based on art as well and they don't support it in their schools. The buildings for the art courses that they do offer are in bad shape and are in need of repair. A good thing about this college is that this probably has the most edible food in the state of Michigan. There would be some cases of food poisoning at times, but this college is known for their food. The college even keeps a restaurant open during the summer season because it's for the public as well. This place is known as "The Rock". They have incredible food and I've only been there a couple times. This college offers a variety of options, including Mongolian food and sushi!

Tyler

Ferris is a small campus, with small class sizes. There isn't much to do outside of campus unless you are more for the outdoors. However it is a great place to learn an be successful, you are able to create yourself into the type of future student you want to be..

Mary

Ferris State University is like a second home to me. The people are nice and there is always something to do. Their Criminal Justice program is exceptional. There is always opportunities to do community service.

Blake

I transferred to Ferris after my freshman year of college at Olivet. I love Ferris and the atmosphere and friends it has brought me. The only thing I hate and every commuter student hates is the parking situations and how no one can ever seem to find a parking spot. They seem to keep taking more and more parking away so they can build new things. How about build a new parking lot that would nice.

Ferris is a wonderful college. It is extremely diverse. The professors are always willing to help and truly care about their students. The faculty want students to succeed, and they will do everything in their power to make sure that happens. I feel safe on campus, and DPS is available 24/7 if there is ever a problem. Ferris is a wonderful institution, and I definitely recommend coming here.

DeVon

I attend Kendall College of Art & Design of Ferris State University. It's a good school but it doesn't have any dorms or decent on-campus housing. I live off campus in a rental home with roommates.

mercedes

My opinion about Ferris is that it is a great school to attend. There are medium size classes where everyone can learn. The campus actually listens to the students as of what we want.

Thomas

Ferris is a good school overall. They tend to charge for things a little ridiculously, and overcharge a little bit for tuition in my opinion, but the class sizes are great, the professors are invested, and they know what they are talking about for the most part.

Tyler

Ferris State University has the opportunity to become a top school in Michigan. The facilities are wonderful, and the staff are great. The school needs to work on renovating housing and providing students with more options in town and around campus to eat, as well as extra curricular activities. The class sizes are perfect for a positive learning environment, and I feel comfortable going to class everyday knowing I can receive help from professors or fellow classmates if needed.

Karissa

LOVE this school so much! I would recommend it to anyone looking to go away to a four year college but still getting that small town feel. The campus is not to big but big enough to have all the same things as other big schools. The campus is beautiful and has many updated facilities. Very modern and enjoyable.

Krista

Ferris State University is the perfect school for you if you like one-on one. Professors are really good about giving you there time and its a bonus that the class sizes are smaller. We have some of the coolest programs here at Ferris and their are many for you to choose from. The environment here at Ferris is so home like. Its not hard at all to make friends on campus. There is always something to do or an event that you may attend so you can never say you're bored. Ferris is the perfect size for a school and overall is just a very good school and I am glad I chose to attend here, at Ferris State University.

Bertha

Ferris state is an acedemically fine institution. Besides the bad food and living conditions. It is easy to contact teachers and receive help when you need it. Ferris also has very good athletics. Not only are we hard working but we are driven and good at what we do. The football team, and basketball team have went to finals within the last two year

Jade

I actually go to Kendall College of Art and Design, which is owned by Ferris. While I love the students that go there, the school itself is okay. The staff is great and generally very helpful with anything you need academically. However, our buildings hours sucks, it closes way too early! That paired with NOT having housing means I have to work on the weekends and at night to pay for my rent and bills means I basically can't go into the school to work on my projects. With it being an art school that is a HUGE problem. Transporting your work can be very dangerous for your piece. As well as most students walk or take the bus as they don't have a reasonable parking option. Either you buy a parking pass for a lot thats at least a 10 minute walk away (which when you live a 25 minute walk away is POINTLESS) or you pay $20 a DAY in a lot or park on the street and move your car every two hours - if you can even find a spot! Taking a project home on the bus is a nightmare. It takes up so much space, is generally awkward to maneuver, you risk it getting dirty from who knows what, and people give you really strange looks. To go along with the building hours, there isn't a lot of spaces to hang around and work on campus. We don't have any comfortable seating, and even in the student commons there is extremely limited space, and always students sitting on the floor waiting for their next class, especially during the lunch hour. It makes it tough to stick around campus and therefore nobody really wants to. Now the next issue. We. Have. No. Food. Options. Theres no cafeteria at all in our school. There is a small student store, mainly filled with things like coffee (and crappy coffee at that - they could at least get some that tastes good), chips, and soda. And all at convince store prices, aka overpriced. We also have a couple of vending machines in the basement area, one snacks, one drinks, and one sometimes has some sandwiches in it. Along with the no food we have two microwaves. For the entire school and no other way to get hot, decently nutritious food, two microwaves just doesn't cut it. The line is always 10 or more people long, and you're lucky if you can get your food cooked in time to eat it before the school wide lunch hour is up. Honestly, it's quicker, cheaper, and healthier to walk down the street a few blocks to Jimmy Johns. Not to mention Kendall is kinda pricey and doesn't have too much financial aid help. They expect you to be completely paid in full at the end of each semester or they drop all your classes, even if you make a payment every month. I do have to give them credit that they do help you out quite a bit if you call them and try to work things out, but the whole administration floor is kind of a mess. Things are super complicated and you can never seem to speak to someone that can give you straight answers on a lot of scheduling issues. Scheduling is a whole other mess. And they need a better system for signing up for classes. Overall, I love attending it based on the classes I'm in, the professors, the students, and the friends and good times I have at the school. I also love the school attempt at going green with almost all the trash cans being separated out and using hydraulically pumped elevators. I do feel like Ferris doesn't even try to make the school even half of the campus it can be however. We are shorthanded on ALOT of the average things even community colleges have and I think they need to do some serious updating to amenities they offer us, especially at the price we pay to attend.

Adrianna

If I had to describe my time at Ferris State University in one phrase it would be: lots of networking opportunities. From meeting people inside and outside of the classroom, I have been able to expand my networking circle and find amazing career and intern opportunities. Ferris is a perfect size school. Not too big, not too small. You recognize a lot a faces and it is sort of like it's own little community. I love the class sizes and one on one time availability with professors and how willing they are to help any student. The tutoring and after class support groups are amazing and extremely helpful. Ferris is overall an amazing place to grow, learn, and network with other individuals.

Ferris State University was the right choice for me. Between the housing, including people I've met in the dorms, the classes and professors, and the general atmosphere on campus, I feel right at home. I believe there is a place for everyone at Ferris, and I feel like I am a part of something greater here. I have the ability to learn while also meeting a diverse bunch of people, and I think this will help me when I have graduated and am starting my life after college.

Maribel

A great friendly institution. Would have liked more activities in the morning for those of us that only attend school in the morning instead of the afternoon. A group / organization for new/transfer/commuters students to better adjust to a new school and setting.

John

Ferris State University is a great place for affordable academics. The on campus life is friendly and sociable generally. There are many extracurriculars to be apart of if you choose so. There are many scholarship opportunities offered, especially online. The facilities are clean and modern.

Casey

I'm a high school student in the Big Rapids area, who is duel enrolled at Ferris. My father has been an employee at Ferris for a total of 30 years, and I've lived in Big Rapids all my life. My initial impression of Ferris, when I was much younger, was a positive one, and one of astonishment. I thought Ferris was the absolute best! That was until I grew up and realized Ferris was another run-of-the-mill state university in a run-of-the-mill town. There's not really anything special about Ferris other than their student life, which is pretty good and accepting of high school students. Other than that, the academics aren't top notch, the town itself is boring and lackluster, and the majority of the dorms are old and out of code. Overall, it's an okay college for what it's worth.

Dana

I like it here, not a typical party school which is really nice! Really great school!! Love that everything is close enough to walk to!! Summer is the best! Nice and quiet!! Really great school if they have the major you want! Would love better off campus, studio or one bedroom options!!

Joshua

This is an amazing school. I would let my kids go or this school. I have learned a lot about the school. I loved this school visit. I plan on going to this college to get my MSN for nursing. I want to become a neonatal (newborn) nurse practitioner and I think this school will really help me get to where I want to be.

Ferris is overall a very nice school. The small class size allows professors to get to know students on an individual level. Most professors love to help. The dorms are pretty old, but they are safe and clean. Big Rapids is a small town, but only a 45 minute drive to Grand Rapids.