New York, NY
New York University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend New York University

Ash

NYU's college town is NY City below 23rd street and Williamsburg/Bushwick in Brooklyn. Technically campus is from Union Square South to Washington Square South, from 6th avenue to Broadway, but it really radiates much farther out than that. NYU has a wonderful administration, a president who has hugged 80% of the student body before their graduation, and amazing professors. There is no school pride, but students are very proud. We dont walk around in NYU sweatshirts, or have flags in our dorm rooms, but we're very proud of our school within a city. Unfortunately we've recently been known as a school of many controversies (suicides and drug busts), but its actually a very warm environment. The biggest student complaint is probably about Weinstein Dormatory being a concrete prison, but once you get past it, you realize its the same dorm that the Beastie Boys used to practice, and then its not so bad.

Everyone can find a place at NYU. Literally. Unless you're wearing sweatpants (and havent just come from the gym). Our dining halls were quite good, but I rarely went. When you're in a city where the food is so good, why would you go to a dining hall?! Sometimes I did feel as though many NYU students were from affluent backgrounds, but money was rarely discussed.

It is difficult to go to NYU as a freshman. You're suddenly in the city, without a campus or a defined community. Its hard and depressing as a freshman, and most students want to transfer their first semester. But after you come back from winter break, you begin to fall in love with your school, finding your community and close group of friends. When you meet up with your peers from home, you wont have very much in common regarding your school. There is no football team, few fraternities, few sororities. There are no eating clubs, and no school green (unless you count Washington Square park or the steps of Union Square). But there are restaurants, and Frisbee in Central Park, free Fridays at the MoMA, and underground concerts in Williamsburg. And since you wont need a car, you wont have to beg your parents for one...and you wont have to pay for the increasing gas prices!

A little. Compared to other schools, students who to go NYU, like NYers as a whole, rarely leave the house wearing sweatpants (unless we're on our way to the gym). We are immersed in the culture of the city, as we are a school of the city, so our love of art, and eclectic music, fashion, and social interactions are all more intensified than if we were at a campus school. But there are students of all varieties besides theater majors or cultural brown-nosers. And while we dont live on campus or go to frat parties (there are frat parties on campus, but most of them are in bars rather than "houses" which have capacity restrictions for security reasons) but our school spirit is heavily invested in the fact that we have no spirit. You will never find another group of students as proud to be known as the "fighting violets" (the scariest mascot around!)

Many professors are only adjunct because they are practicing professionals, which adds a very realistic air to your learning. I've had many of my senior seminars in the conference rooms of my professors offices. My favorite classes were those where I got to roam the city -- it was a very hands on experience. Class participation is more common in smaller classes, which are commonly those of upper classmen. Large lectures have small T.A. taught, required classes, where class participation is more common. NYU is an amazing education experience, but alumnis joke that its not helpful in procuring a job. While NYU students have amazing internships, and opportunities and experiences as undergraduates, they become "over qualified," and are passed over for many jobs. Unless you are going to Stern School of Business, or plan on going to graduate school, your successes at NYU don't make it easier to get a job. While most students study (you have to be smart to go to NYU afterall), some study more than others. As a premed student, my best friends were my textbooks. I'd work/study hard, and play hard. My roommate, a jazz composition major, would be "studying" all the time too, by practicing constantly (a different type of study), but my other roommate, a Gallatin Graduate, would rarely study, and rarely had exams or finals...which made me awfully jealous.

Students in dorms left their doors open in the freshman dorms. In the upperclass dorms, most rooms were apartment style, and thus kept private. I only lived in a dorm my freshman year (NYU is short on housing, and many students move to apartments). I didnt really date in school, but most of the people I did date, were older, and not NYU graduates. I was ALWAYS awake at 2am on a Tuesday, usually studying. Most people up at 2am on a Tuesday were either at their place, or the library, studying, or drunk. What cant you do on a saturday night that doesnt involve drinking?! Bowling, ping-pong, movies, billiards, concerts, theatre, opera, ballet, jazz bars, ice skating, gallery openings, parties, dinner, clubs! (You can always go to a bar and hang with your friend without drinking.). No matter what you do or where you go at NYU will you feel pressure to drink or do drugs. People dont sit around in dorm rooms drinking, because there is so much else to do outside! Fraternities and Sororities make up less than 10% of the student body. If you're looking for that experience, its available to you, but it is so minimal. In all my years at NYU i've only met two people who were in Greek Life.

We're all beautiful, too cool for school, and partyers. We're hipsters, and wealthy artist-types, who care little about learning and all about culture.

Katie

NYU has no gated campus, which is amazing. The best thing about this school is that it is fully a part of the community and you get to experience the city every day! One thing that I don't really like is that NYU has no football team. I guess because it's a very "smart" school and we don't have room for a football stadium it makes sense, but at a lot of schools that's where the school spirit is built, in the football stadium. I think there'd be more school pride if we had some sort of sports team, not just football. Intramural sports don't really cut it. In the film department, the most frequent complaints are definitely about the allotments. We already pay a very large amount for tuition (and there's an extra fee for being in the film department, I believe) and then we have to buy most of our own supplies on top of that? That makes a lot of film students upset.

One of the best things about NYU and the film department in particular, is the class sizes. Most of my classes have fifteen people or less, which makes for a very comfortable environment where everyone can get to know each other quickly and students feel like their attendance and participation matters. Students here are extremely competitive. Especially in the upper level core production courses, because students must complete for the allotment and for a lot of students, if you don't get an allotment you can't afford to make your film, and if you don't make a senior film you have no calling card when you leave school. As far as I've seen, the film departments goal is to teach students the ins and outs of film making and to make students as prepared as possible for the real world. They want students to learn as much as possible, but also be able to function in the film business.

Caitlin

The best thing about being an NYU student is living in New York City and constantly seeing so many different kinds of people. In terms of size, it's hard to remember that there are 19,000 undergrads. I've met a lot of people through my classes and clubs that I'm in, and so far, almost everyone I've met has a connection with someone I already know. That makes the student population seem a lot smaller than it actually is. I'm not a fan of NYU's administration. They refuse to disclose the details of their budget, and I wouldn't mind seeing where my $52,000 a year is going and how it's being spent. If you're looking for a school with a lot of school spirit and cheerleaders and pep rallies, NYU is not the place to be. That said, there are sports/school pride related events. We have the All-University Games, for example, which is where representatives from each school (CAS, Stern, Gallatin, etc) compete against each other in basketball, foosball, sumo-wrestling, and ping pong. The biggest controversy on campus right now is probably the renovation of Washington Square Park. I have yet to meet someone who supports the construction.

I've met gay, straight, undecided, transgender, bisexual, black, white, Hispanic, Muslim, Hindu, Atheist, filthy rich, and dirt poor kids during my first semester at NYU. I don't think anyone would feel out of place here. Some kids wear pajama pants to class, others wear Prada boots; it's impossible to throw a blanket statement over everyone. I've met so many NYU kids from New Jersey and most people that I know come from a lower/middle class family. Students are definitely politically active, and I'd say lean towards the left; I'd guess that most people support Barack Obama as the Democratic candidate for president.

Not completely. There are some in every crowd, of course, but there are so many different types of people everywhere, it's hard to pigeonhole anybody.

One of the great things about GSP is that my professors know my name. I feel comfortable going up to the teacher and asking them questions about why I received this grade on a paper or a test and how I can improve. My favorite class is probably my Writing class. The theme is 'Youth Culture' and we've been watching 80s teen movies, such as "Heathers" and "The Breakfast Club" and analyzing how and why teenagers behave the way they do. I'm sure this isn't true for everyone, but my friends and I have intellectual conversations outside of class. I'm not a fan of NYU's MAP requirements. MAP classes are the core classes that mostly everyone has to take and I have yet to hear anyone say good things about them.

The ones I've heard most frequently are Gay YU and NYJew. And then there are the stereotypes that exist about students in each school: Tisch kids are emo, suicidal, starving artists who whine and complain about life, Stern kids are cold, heartless, and money loving, GSP kids are stupid, and the Gallatin kids are in Gallatin just to skip out on the core curriculum classes.

I'm part of the NYU Program Board, which is a student run organization in charge of providing entertainment to NYU students. Being part of Program Board is great. You can get free tickets to concerts, movies, and lectures, and many times, you get to work with up and coming musicians. (We've had Sufjan Stevens, Andrew W.K. and Talib Kweli perform). Athletic events aren't very popular, although we do have Tear It Up, which are events where students get free food and tshirts. Guest speakers are very popular; we've had Natalie Portman and John Nash come this year. In terms of stuff to do, the possibilities are endless. NYU's Ticket Central provides us with cheaper tickets to Knicks games, movies, Broadway shows, off-Broadway shows, almost anything you can imagine. Frats and sororities play a very small role in the social life. People leave their doors open for the most part in the dorms.

Tate

Not really. While there are more girls than boys, and there are a lot of gay boys, there are plenty of straight guys at NYU. I know a lot of girls who complain about not getting any dick, but thats only because deep down they're afraid of it.

There are very few boys, and all the attractive ones are gay.

NYU is way too large. One of the biggest complaints is that it's too hard to meet people. Lectures are too large so it's hard to get the teacher's attention, making it more difficult to learn. When I say I go to NYU to someone from my home city they think it's a big deal because it's a nationally acclaimed school and it's in New York City, however, up here NYU is not that big a deal especially with Ivy League Columbia just uptown. We don't have a campus so I try to spend most of my time in the dorm especially because I'm active on hall council so I'm needed here a lot. This is NOT a college town. NYU has a great administration that is always reaching out to the students which is nice in a place where you're just a number, it's as though they go out of their way to try to make you feel like a bigger fish. Biggest recent controversy on campus- mixed sex housing and it's broadening (we only have 1 mixed sex housing dorm). NO school pride! Complaints: no school pride, too big, socially independent, no dorm parties always bars and clubs, hard alcohol and drugs

Many racial, religious, LGBT organizations. It has broadened my horizons from my predominantely hispanic hometown. People here are extremely politically correct so don't expect to say "that's so gay" and get away with it. I am the type of student who feels out of place because I want a place where students sit under trees to hang out, and have dorm parties, go to basketball games, and have school pride. This school is NOT for the school spirited. Dining hall: Table #1: all asian; table #2: all LGBT; table #3): jersey girls; table #4): more asians. students typically stick with their backgrounds for example, jersey girls with other girls like themselves, asians with asians. Financial backgrounds most prevalent, wealthy or not wealthy at all. Very politically aware/active. Leftists. People here are obsessed with their future careers (besides the Peace Corps people)

Not everyone is from Jersey but A LOT are! There is a big gap in the financial standings of students here- either you have money or you don't and are paying for college yourself on loans. People here tend to be creative and extremely independent.

Professors do NOT know your name. My favorite class is my psychology course because the professor is hilarious. He's about 90 years old but so full of life, extremely passionate. You find many of those professors here, and many who are not passionate at all. My least favorite class was an honors seminar taught by an outside professor who was biased and made personal interjections on students' behaviors (social and academic). NYU hires a lot of outside authors and experts to teach these honors seminars but they mostly behave as though they are celebrities and their word is gold. Class participation is nearly non-existent. NYU students are ALWAYS having intellectual conversations outside of the classroom. Students are ridiculously competetive. Most unique course has been my genetics course taught by a genetics researcher specializing on circadian rhythms in mice. He brought together real experience with the course material, allowing for us to choose the syllabus of topics. The neuroscience major is an extremely competetive and difficult one. It's very small, but as a freshman I still don't know much about it. No time with professors outside of class. Academic requirements are rigorous and in some cases pointless (ie Writing the Essay teaching you how to write "on the edge" aka "emo" when I want to be a doctor and will never have to write in that manner). NYU education is sometimes geared towards learning but mostly towards finding a job, especially in the pre-medicine track.

Most popular: there are so many one can't say. I'm involved in hall council in which we try to coordinate fun events but due to the tremendous bureaucracy in hall council we are only allowed to put on watered down events. Dorm rooms are generally kept closed depending on the hall. Athletic events are not popular, nearly non-existent. Many guest speakers. Tremendous amount of theater experiences available, broadway or NYU. People here don't date, they hook up. I don't feel as though I have any close friends here, due to the independence level of students here. I'm always awake at 2am on Tuesdays studying for Calculus. Traditions/Events: mystery concert, UltraViolet Live (#1 program in the nation), FYRE (First Year Residential Experience) programs such as sexstravaganza, and moktoberfest. People are ALWAYS out at bars/clubs/sake bombing. Sororities and fraternities are small. Last weekend I went home, as do most students here every weekend (especially if they're from Jersey or Long Island). You can sit in your room alone because every social outing here involves drinking. We are ALWAYS off campus so being in the city is not that special when you're always there. You end up spending way too much money and time this way.

Some of the stereotypes is that everyone is from Jersey, or that everyone has money and is a hardcore partier. Also that NYU students are all artsy and experimentative in these years with their looks, social behaviors, etc.

Michelle

The best thing about NYU is, of course, the city. It's a very different experience and it requires independence and a willingness to make your own way, but if you dedicate yourself to all your efforts, you will enjoy the NYU experience. Being right in the middle of the Village, NYU is very close to the East Village, West Village, Soho, Chinatown, and Little Italy - all very fun places that are perfect for a college student. Other neighborhoods are just a short walk or a subway ride away. Everything in New York is easily accessible and it is good to know that there is always something to do. Each neighborhood has such a different personality that there is something for everyone. The lack of campus that everybody talked about is really not that bad. I run into plenty of people on the streets and in dining halls. Especially in Kimmel (the student life center), there are always plenty of students and friends around. It would be nice if the upperclassmen dorms were closer to campus to prolong this sense of community beyond freshmen year, but that is the tradeoff of being in fun places like Soho and Chinatown. If you make the effort, maintaining relationships is easy. In such a large school, there is never a single thing going on. Each weekend, everyone has different plans. Other than the occasional club, there isn't a party that all of NYU is expected to show up to. However, you make your own communities - in dorms, in classes, and in clubs. There are so many groups at NYU, with most people being a part of more than one, that it is very easy to make friends. There is a lot of red tape to get to the administration. Making an appointment with your advisor isn't easy, and even then, they aren't too useful. They just give general guidance that the NYU website could, and probably does, provide. Trying to pay bills or register for something is annoyingly difficult too. In general, NYU needs to update its technology so that NYU Home and Albert are more user friendly.

NYU is extremely diverse in terms of race, religion, and sexual orientation. It is not uncommon to see these students interact and be in the same group of friends. Usually, there are a lot more girls than boys in each group, but that is not necessarily by choice, but because there are simply more girls. However, socioeconomically, NYU mostly represents only the upper middle class. This might even be necessary to attend NYU, considering its high tuition and terrible financial aid. More importantly is the spending money required to come here. The temptation that arises from passing many clothing and food stores just on the way to class is hard to overcome. Not only that, entertainment is expensive. On most other college campuses, frat or house parties are free, but at NYU, Greek life is practically nonexistent. NYU students have to find their own fun in bars, clubs, concerts, and the theater, the price of which escalates quickly. Students here are overwhelmingly liberal. During the primaries this year everyone was excited and eager to hear the results after each voting. When Barack Obama spoke in Washington Square Park in September, it was the talk of the school for the next week. People get really passionate about their political beliefs, and it is interesting to hear everybody's views.

To an extent, these stereotypes are accurate. These stereotypes are very prevalent, but there are also very "normal" people here. However, what passes for normal here would not be considered normal elsewhere. New York, especially the downtown area in which NYU is located, is a quirky and interesting area, and it shows in the students' personalities and appearances.

Classes are large in the general level classes; it is hard to get small classes early on, especially if you haven't chosen a major. Even the recitations are larger than I had expected, over 30 people. I have had some really good professors, however, who really care about the students and reach out, sometimes to the point that it is overbearing, but it is nice to know that you can get help. The freshmen honors seminars were hyped up to be the best thing at NYU, but mine was a disappointment, and so were most others. Most of them met for two and a half hours at a time, which is way too long for anybody to be sitting still listening to a professor. The topics probably could have been interesting had they been presented well, but the seminars just did not carry out its original ideals. The environment at NYU isn't quite academic, outside of class. People do know when to study, however. It is a work hard, play hard environment. Outside of class, people don't think much about school; they are mostly focused on doing things - participating in clubs, entertainment, exploring New York neighborhoods, and many other choices. Nobody ever stays still; people go out and enjoy what is available to them. Many students here seem to have their life planned out and most came into college with a major defined. Especially in Stern, the students are focused on getting a high paying job and making it big, although classes seem to be towards learning for its own sake. The classes I have taken so far provide more theoretical and abstract knowledge that I'll have to figure out on my own how to apply to a job, but I prefer it that way instead of a more practical training. NYU's academic requirements consist of a core curriculum called MAP. Some classes in MAP, such as Natural Science, allow you to use AP credits to place out, but there is no way to get around Writing the Essay, Conversations of the West, and World Cultures. These classes are generally torturous and annoying, and provide more work than is necessary. They are very narrow in what they teach, and it is frustrating to have to deal with them when you could be in classes you actually like. The only MAP requirement I like is the language requirement.

Students in dorms generally leave their dorms open, but cliques on each floor form quickly. That being said, many of your friends freshman year will be those that you met in your dorm. It just comes with the territory of seeing people in their rooms, in the elevators, and in the halls 24/7. NYU is huge on partying, though there are not too many gigantic house parties that are typical to other colleges. They usually occur in a person's dorm and only friends can attend; random people do not wander in. Thursday night is a huge night, as NYU students regard having no class on Friday as a God given right. 18+ club events tend to be on Thursdays. It's general knowledge which bars card and which don't, although it is getting more difficult to get into places. Many people have fakes, and they often split their groups into those who have fake ids, and those who don't, to make it easier to get into bars and clubs. Something I had to get used to when I came here was how everything was pushed back several hours. Because you don't eat dinner until 8 or 9, you don't get dressed to go out until 11, and you won't leave until after 12. Nights out often become early mornings out, and it isn't unusual to come back after the sun has risen. Fraternities and sororities aren't very important, although those who have joined are very active. Because the fraternities and sororities are located in the Lafayette dorm, in Chinatown, it is often inconvenient for students to go there. There are usually better things to do anyway. There is excellent eating in New York for very cheap prices. Spice is a favorite of NYU students, located on University and 10th right by campus. New York, of course, has the best pizza in the world and most places are delicious. Little Italy and Chinatown are favorites; their food is probably the cheapest in the city. During Restaurant Week, when expensive restaurants had prix-fixe menus, a lot of people went to get a taste of these fancy places at a fraction of their original price.

Undesirable boys - The female/male ratio here is 60/40, and there is a general consensus that all the boys are either gay, taken, or unattainable. Hipster - Before coming here, I was very intimidated by the image of an artsy East Village student. It seems that everyone dresses well and is into seeing shows, going to art galleries, and clubbing a lot.

Jerry

The best thing about NYU is the wide range of experience it allows. If you want it, it's out there. I think that they might be trying to make it too large though with new mergers and acquisitions. Yes, buying property all over the place is great, but that don't leave much left for the people already at NYU. I get a mix reaction when people hear I'm from NYU. The main two responses would have to be though, did you sell an organ to get there and have you seen the Olsen twins yet? My dorm is far from campus now, but I do have breaks in between, I would saw that I'm generally at a place with couches, like Kimmel's second floor or the downstairs of Bobst. Of course during warm weather, and before the days of construction, I loved Washington Sq. Park. The latest controversy from NYU would probably have to be that graduation is taking place at a stadium now and not Washington Sq. park. I would be pretty sad not to take that symbolic walk through the arch.

It's hard to be completely out of place at NYU just because there seems to be a place for everything. There are clubs for every different religious group. I would say though that if you are a Republican at NYU, you are going to be a minority. However the Republicans club at NYU seemed to have banded together and gotten a kick out of this. The controversy they stirred with their "Find the illegal immigrant game" last year was unbelievable. I feel that dress varies from year to year and from different schools. Of course you can recognize the business school Sternies with their suits. On-campus freshman year students are the ones that dress most lax probably because dorms are a block away. However once you're an upperclassman that changes and at least for me so did my apparel. There seems to be a big population of NYU students from New York, New Jersey, Long Island and also California. I think no matter where you're from there are different financial backgrounds, but everyone talks about how much money they will earn. The Stern students are basking in how much money business will make them, while liberal arts students tend to wonder more about how they are going to repay those student loans.

Stereotypes always do seem to have a little truth in them, but what I've come to see is the diversity within NYU. Of course it still attracts the rich and the artistic, but NYU is also greatly known for its business school and has so many different divisions that I've never heard of, such as the schools of social work and nursing. It has students from every economic status who work hard to be there and remain there. As for being unfriendly, at NYU you have to be independent. Don't expect for offices to contact you, you have to go there and speak with them, sometimes many times.

Like an other school academics at NYU has been a mix. People tend to make fun of it by I loved the General Studies Program (GSP). Pretty much all my classes for the first two years of school were small seminar classes, where the professors did know my name. I especially had this one amazing professor for Cultural Foundations, who also happened to be my adviser in GSP. When doing my transfer to CAS, there are more lectures involved, which then requires a recitation class. However with my majors, a lot of my classes tend to be seminar style. My Italian classes have all been very small which I think is important in learning a language. In addition, all my Italian professors thus far have been amazing! Though it takes a while for things to get done in the English department, the people I've communicated with have been very friendly. My second major is Italian/Linguistics and those departments are much smaller so I hear back from them quicker. The bad classes at NYU have been this way mainly because of the professor. I've learned that many times that the topic can be great, but if you have a bad professor it doesn't matter in the least.

Before coming to NYU, in my mind the student population was split into a couple categories. First, you have the spoiled kids who might never know that FAFSA is a really important set of initials. Next NYU's prime SOHO location also must bring the artists who bring back that little bit of 60s and 70s to the area. I also heard that NYU is very big and unfriendly.

It's hard to say what the most popular groups on campus are because so much of it depends on what you are into. Music groups and the dance teams tend to be really big. Also NYU is trying to promote team sports by doing what they call "Tear It Up". This consists of free food and things like shirts if you go to see a team gym. It seems to be a thriving promotional plan. NYU has had a great and prominent list of speakers come in. This year I know Natalie Portman was at an event and during my freshman year Bono had come to speak at our theater. In addition I think it was at this year's Welcome Week picnic, the cast of Spring Awakening was present. A big yearly event at NYU is also Relay for Life which happens at one of the gyms, it always had a huge turn-out. I wouldn't say that fraternities and sororities have a huge presence, but NYU does have them, if you are looking for that kind of thing. A lot of them live in the Lafayette Chinatown dorm, but since there's not really a campus, parties can happen anywhere in the city. Dorms are also a mix bag. Many freshman dorms seemed to keep an open door policy. I think that once you start hitting your junior and senior year and live further away that tends to change a bit.

Alex

No one cares about sports. There's no school spirit. You don't care nearly as much about the school as about the fact that you're living in Manhattan. NYU is HUGE. Make sure you want that.

Everyone's accepting, unless you're conservative. Even then people are accepting.

It's a huge school, so to varying degrees they are.

It really depends what school you're in for this. Huge, impersonal classes are the norm in many.

Everyone's a theater kid. Everyone has a major that won't get a job, or they are in Stern and don't care about anything besides getting a job. Prissy bitches with too much money.

You're in Mahattan! There's everything to do. Just don't look for stuff on campus. Oh, wait, we don't have a campus.

New York University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.