New York, NY
New York University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend New York University

Victor

I like the school size. It's all over the place in the east and west village. I wouldn't call it a college town for sure....the campus is the city, though the concentration around Wash Square Park gives you a false sense of community. In terms of school pride, I never really noticed much of any until I went to a guys basketball game. Not sure if they were screaming because they even know what the rules of the game were and who was winning, or if they were drunk and just passing the time.

It's such a melting pot. I love that everyone is from everywhere. Freshman year, my neighbors were two Lebanese twins from Jersey. Sophomore year, they were two girls from Holland and Switzerland. And they were all hot. Doesn't get much better than that. In terms of classroom wardrobe, there is quite a divide. There are the girls that dress to the nines, makeup, heels, Gucci purses, Coach sunglasses. Then there are the dudes with the sweatpants, beanies, scruffy beards and slippers. I prefer comfort over appearance. If there were four tables in the dining hall, one would be a group of goofy liberal arts kids, one would be packed with white frat kids in polos, jeans and sneakers, chattin obnoxiously about some "broads" or sorostitutes. One would definitely be filled with vivacious indian kids, with the token white or asian kids, of course. Finally, the last one would have some artistic, musical kids wearing band t-shirts, tight jeans, rockin' crazy hair and Converses Most NYU kids are from LI, North Jersey and California...and at least one-third of kids have some serious wealth (at least their families do). Most kids are left-leaning or full-blown liberalites, though there are some lurking moderates and even conservatives, though they don't speak out for fear of being ridiculed/stoned.

For the most part, no. Though every stereotype spawns from some truth.

The only professors that knew my name were in the Spanish department. Small classes, easier to connect, just happened that way. Many classes are huge halls, broken into sections taught by a TA, who didn't care to know you anyway. NYU kids are pretty cool. So diverse. Definitely intellectual, although I was surprised by how many dumb/annoying/non-wisdom seeking individuals who got in. I wish i met up with my professors outside of class. I wasn't one to really engage with my professors during office hours and whatnot, unfortunately. NYU education is certainly for learning's sake, but if you want it to be used to get a job, it's easily utilized that way.

Most popular clubs are probably career-focused. I belonged to the Ski/Snowboard club, which runs some pretty cool subsidized trips. The Washington Square News runs a pretty tight ship and the staff is pretty friendly and fun to work with. As far as athletics...i think we are awesome at fencing? Frat life is lame at NYU. As are the majority of people in them. They are organized groups that you can roll with wherever you want to give you a false sense of family. Who needs 25 more brothers or sisters? Their called friends, people. Get them on your own. The dating scene....ah. Evolves drastically from freshman to senior year. What starts as sneaking into each others dorms to drink cheap wine and forties eventually empties your already shallow pockets as you scrounge for quarters between the couch cushions to bankroll a $30 bar tab. But man, the ratio is TOTALLY in our (guys) favor. I'd put it at 55%/45? girls to guys, with 30% of guys being gay, automatically shifting the scales to 65%/35%. 2 to 1? I'll take it. Saturday nights without drinking? We're in New York City. Endless opportunities to keep busy. Depending on the weather, the park scene is rockin from the east to the west side. Museums, from the MoMa to the Whitney to Madame Tussaud's, are always a good call. Plus, NYU's discount helps quite a bit. There are poetry clubs and comedy shows, sports games and street performances...like i said, endless possibilities...but some don't come cheap.

The guys are all rich, metrosexual, Jewish, spoiled....and pussies. The girls...JAPs, sex-deprived, materialistic, and lucky.

Alex

Most people think NYU is a great school, and an expensive one when it is mentioned. I spent most of my time in the dining hall or in the park if I was on campus. It looks like a college town during the 4 minutes between classes, when all the students are on the streets around Washington Square Park trying to get to lunch or their next class. But it is definitely a "college town" in the city. You dont just see professors and student around. There are residents, children, and a lot of squirrels around. NYU administration sucks. They are unorganized, slow, and not very helpful. The best thing about NYU is definitely its location in the heart of NYC. I didn't mind going to a very large school such as NYU but some people will find it overwhelming. NYC is pretty much the most wonderful town to be in if you are in your late teens and early twenties. You learn a lot of independence and you get to experience the diverse cultures that inhabit NYC. You also get to meet so many different types of people with different ideas, accents, backgrounds. You grow up and learn fast at the reality of how life is. You have homeless people on your campus. There are just so many people around you, rapidly going about their life around you. Yet you do not know any of them. There are a lot of opportunities for cultural events, you just have to seek them out. The Graduate Student Union strike dominated the news 2 years back and the administration has made it pretty clear that it will not negotiate with them. In the end, I believe that everything went back to the status quo. Most of the complaints are hear (some which I have made myself) is in regards to scheduling classes and housing. It is a mess. I tried to get in a class and I got in but could not get into a recitation that would fit my schedule so I couldnt get in. But one of my friends got in through the help of another professor. You have to have some connections sometimes and actively push for what you want, which I never really did.

The student body is fairly diverse. There are a lot of caucasians and asians but not that many hispanics or african americans. Most of my friends come from diverse backgrounds. However, I have seen groups of friends that are predominately one race. NYU also has a large gay community and an active LGBT scene. I think everyone has the freedom to believe what they want to believe in, without the fear of being persecuted. Most people are left leaning, there are very few republicans on campus but the ones that do exist are pretty vocal about their political beliefs. Most students are really stylish. After awhile I felt the pressure to look good and stop wearing lounge pants and sweatshirts to class. For boys, collared shirts and polos seem to be popular. Girls like tight jeans and pretty tops. There are also a lot of fashion forward people that look like they stepped out of the pages of Nylon magazine. It is not a good place for those who want a lot of individualized attention from counselors and professors. If you do want that, you have to actively pursue it. NYU is also an environment that supports independence. So if a student can not handle doing things alone, they might not enjoy going to NYU. NYU students are from all over the world. But I have met alot of students from NJ and NY. Regarding financial backgrouds, I know alot of people like me who had to take out loans and depend on scholarships in order to attend NYU. However, I have met some students that don't need the aid and have paid off the tuition up front. That a lot.

They only apply to a small percentage of NYU students. Alot of people I know that went to NYU did not do drugs and were not rich. Instead, the other schools at NYU had a larger student body with diverse majors and backgrounds.

Most professors do not know my name. The classes were large and I never stayed after class to chit chat or go to office hours. In small classes, with a maximum of 15 people, the professor knew my name eventually. The academics were fairly rigorous. There are some classes that are really easy, those that are part of the core requirement (MORSE academic plan, but within my majors, chemistry and economics, most classes required a lot of studying and intense individual reading and learning. I've had some wonderful professors and some not so wonderful ones. My least favorite was a professor for linear algebra. He walked in saying that he found out 10 minutes before class that he had to teach this class. NYU's math department is in need of some restructuring. The best professors I have had were in the departments of French and Chemistry and these ended up being my favorite classes. There is competitiveness within some groups, such as Stern and pre-med students but it's important to not let that get to your head. I feel like learning for learning's sake is more satisfying than beating out someone else's score by one point. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't feel this way. I feel that Stern really prepared the students to get internships and jobs throughout the school year, preparing them for work after. However, in other schools the education at NYU didn't really prepare students for a job. You would have to actively seek it out yourself. Class participation is often a requirement mentioned, but I rarely participated and it didnt seem to affect my final grades. Students do have intellectual conversations outside of class, whether regarding the news or what was learned in class.

That we are rich, snooty, coke-snorting assholes. Most people associate NYU with either the artsy students of Tisch or the money grubbers in Stern.

The most popular clubs and organizations at NYU were ones related to rights and volunteering, such as Red Cross or LGBT. I was involved in a volunteer group, NYU's Presidents C-Team. Students involved would volunteer at schools, medical centers, or parks. A lot of people would be in clubs that were related to their major, such as being in a future doctors organization or a business fraternity. Out of all the sports teams at NYU, the basketball team had the biggest turn out at the games. I been to several basketball, volleyball, and one lacrosse game. barely anyone showed up at the lacrosse and volleyball game. The stands would be filled at basketball games, especially during the "Tear it Up" home games. However, it still was not a big percentage of NYU students in attendance. I lived in Weinstein freshman year and everyone on my floor became very close. We left our doors unlocked and we would just hang out in the hallways. It was great especially for freshman year. However, I have some friends that were in other dorms and it was not as social. I met my closest friends through friends and in class. In the middle of the night on a Tuesday, I would probably be out somewhere getting late night snack or starting a paper that was due in the morning. Fraternities and sororities don't lay a huge role in the college life at NYU. There is just so much other things to do. There are a lot of parties going on at NYU but with the city available to us, it was really easy to find something to do on the weekends. Most people like going to bars around campus (west village) or clubs (midtown.) Williamsburg is also a popular destination with upper classmen. I'd say that the NYU social scene revolves around drinking. If I wasn't drinking on a Saturday, then I was probably watching a movie with friends in the dorms or going to the theater. The Violet ball is held every year, so is Senior formal and the school formals. But other than that there aren't a lot of school planned events. Students are very much on their own. The dating scene is non-existent. Some people find a relationship, but a lot of undergraduates at NYU were just looking to have some fun.

Madeleine

My first three semesters at NYU were difficult. I didn't feel like I had found a place for myself or a group of friends that I really connected with. NYC is a huge city and it is overwhelming at first. It may take longer to get settled at NYU than at what NYU students fondly refer to as "campus colleges", but once you do you can't imagine going to school anywhere else. The residences are mostly converted from apartment buildings so you have your own kitchen, common room and bathroom. There is the option to do all your own grocery shopping and cooking or eat in the dining halls. Security personnel are friendly and courteous. NYU does an impeccable job of keeping its students safe. As a student at NYU you will feel like you are a true resident of New York City. Its were you will eat and socialize and walk everyday. I wouldn't say that there is as much of a school pride at NYU as there is a NYC pride.

The only kinds of people I don't meet very often at NYU are those who are homophobic or racists. Otherwise, I have seen people who are rich, poor, black, white, asian, multi-racial, multi-lingual, republican, democrat, hippy, hipster, preppy, athletic, introverted, extraverted, frat boys, book worms, you name it and we've got it. New York City is one of the biggest melting pots in America and NYU is a reflection of that. If you don't want to be a part of a diverse student body, then you shouldn't come to NYU.

NYU has two parts. The first I will call the Academic Institution. This is made up of the students, professors, faculty, and academic buildings. This is the sphere where you receive your education and interact with your peers and your professors on a stimulating and intellectual level. This is the NYU that I love. The second part is the Administration. This is the bureaucracy and red tape that you will fight with every semester you attend NYU. Not that this aspect of the school isn't extremely necessary and important and sometime they are extremely sweet and helpful. But most of the time it takes patience and perseverance to get anything accomplished or find out any information from an office. You get used to the system after a few years because you will find that living in the City in general requires you to be assertive.

NYU is so diverse that it is impossible to generalize about what an NYU students is. You will find gay people and Jewish people and pretentious people, but you will also find down to earth people, hard working students and athletes. There is a niche for anyone and everyone.

Many students will complain about the MAP curriculum, which is NYU's core courses. I agree, some of them are not a lot of fun. But I think you will find, especially in the case of the liberal arts core courses, that they help expand your horizons and knowledge base. My best advice is to talk to other students and get their opinion about professors and classes. At NYU it is really important to research your classes before registering. For the first two years most (but not all) of your classes will be large lectures anywhere from 300-70 students with a discussion group that meets once a week (this will also depend on you school and major). The last two years you will have an opportunity to form deeper relationships with your professors and take smaller and more specialized courses. One of the things I love about academics at NYU is that there are so many options. Because it is such a big university you can take almost anything you can imagine, even if it is outside your major. And if the major you want to study doesn't exist, transfer to Gallitin and make your own.

You can do anything. Even if it is not something affiliated with the school, there is always the city to fall back on. I've taken ballet classes, photography classes, sat on student council, played intramural sports, worked three different work-study positions and volunteered for the NYC branch of the ASPCA. For fun I go out to bars, restaurants and night clubs with my friends or go to see movies, the ballet, Broadway musicals, stand-up, sporting events, concerts, and more. The possibilities are endless. NYU is very generous with the budgets for student run organizations. It also has the best Global Education and Study Abroad program in the world, with over 8 satellite campuses around the globe and more in the works.

All the guys are gay. All the students are rich. There are a lot of Jewish people. Tisch students are pretentious. Stern students are amoral money mongers. NYU is a wannabe Ivy League.

Tate

Best/worst thing: trading in the traditional American college campus experience for the NYC experience. The distinction between NYU and NYC is minimal, as is the one between campus and City. The campus (aka Washington Square Park) is open to students and everybody else. City dwellers soaking up the rare good weather, tourists snapping photos of the Arch just because it's a big thing in the middle of a park, vendors overcharging for water because snap-happy tourists will buy them, street performers sharing their talent or atrocious lack there of, crazies making others feel surprisingly sane, dogs trying to escape their Burberry vests and wondering why their owners spent so much money to make them so uncomfortable, and finally, fanatics using lightsabers to recreate scenes from the trilogy that changed their lives, . Initially, finding a sense of community can be pretty difficult because much like the City, the population is dense but the distance among individuals can be great. But no worries, sooner or later everyone finds people who tickle her/his fancy. Some social groups are composed of people baked from the same dough while other groups are composed of people who couldn't be more different from each other. You got the same-colored M&M's, the rainbow Jelly Beans, the trail mix, etc.

Went to Stern Undergrad for marketing and international business. Perks: -reputable business school -great access to internships at big companies -free food from club meetings (if you’re smart about it you can skip the actual meetings) Blas: -students aren't the most cut-throat but too many only think/talk about business and their careers -Stern degree leaves little room for classes outside of Stern, making it hard to pursue non-business interests Tip: Hang out with some non-Sternies so that Stern doesn't become your life.

Summary of sports at NYU... Put it this way, no one knows the fight songs because we don't share a common cause to fight for. We can't even make up our minds about what our mascot is - a bobcat or a fighting violet (although the right choice is obvious).

-many people trying to be "NYC chic" aka live the lives of fictional characters -many hipsters -athletically challenged

Harper

The best thing about NYU is that it's in New York City. You have every opportunity at your fingertips. The trouble with NYU is that you have to do everything on your own. It is extremely impersonal if you are in one of the larger majors. I had two internships, both of which I found on my own. The departments designed to help with those kinds of things aren't very effective. People generally react positively when I say I went to NYU. Often they respond with something like, "Wow, that's a really good school; you must be really smart," which always makes me uncomfortable, because how do you respond to that without coming off totally arrogant? "Why, yes, it IS a really good school and I AM a genius. Thank you for reminding me."

A very small-minded person who hasn't had a lot of life experience would probably feel out of place at NYU, but that has more to do with the city than the school. Republicans generally feel out of place. The majority of NYU students are jews from the tri-state area. Not that there's anything wrong with that. There are also a decent number of wasps. Lots of spoiled little rich girls. Like Gossip Girl or the Hills. It's kind of nauseating.

If you want to study abroad in a city where NYU has a branch, just accept that you will be surrounded by Americans all the time. At least in my experience, NYU makes it EXTREMELY difficult for you to go to any other school. After all, if you attended a foreign university, NYU would lose money. And if there's one thing this school keeps a close watch on, it's your money.

You bet. NYU is one of the most gay-friendly schools in the country, which is awesome yet impossible not to notice. As a result, the line in Clueless that Cher says to Josh about how 'NYU girls aren't at all particular,' is completely true.

One thing I found hilarious was when I was studying abroad in London. The London program partners with a few other schools, so I was studying for an exam with one other NYU student and two students from the University of Virginia. The other NYU student and I kept cracking jokes and couldn't stay on task to save our lives. The UVA students more or less stared in horror at our complete disregard for the material. I think that situation speaks for most of my time at school.

That NYU is full of gays and jews and hipsters. That Stern is made up mostly of asians. That the school is full of people who were rejected from Columbia.

NYU is super gay, which means our theater groups are awesome and our sports teams are sort of irrelevant. Sometimes stereotypes are true. If you are a single, heterosexual female at NYU, expect to not find a boyfriend in class. Some girls do, but they are few and far between. The ratio of straight boys to straight girls is terrifying. Factor in the amount of boys that come to college with girlfriends back home, and that Beach Boys song "Two girls for every boy" starts sounding like a really welcome change. Because your odds are, in actuality, much, much worse. On the other hand, if you are a single, heterosexual male at NYU, take your pick buddy. There are seriously thousands of girls who will date you. Your odds just shot through the roof.

Ash

The best thing is the location. Living in new york is amazing. I'd change the advising. NYU has the worst advisers I've ever met. That might be because I'm in CAS, but the undergraduate advising is Horrible. There's a high turnover rate of advisers. After my first semester freshmen year my adviser left and I haven't had a set adviser since then. It's hard to try and plan your life out with someone who has no idea who you are or what you want to do with your career. And even if you explain to them they don't really guide as to what classes to take. I've wasted at least 4 courses doing things that I didn't need or want to do to get my major/minor/ or fulfill interests. That's a LOT of money wasted. I think the school is too big... because I went to a really small grade school (K-12th grade) and I liked that personalize interest given by the teachers. I came to NYU because I wanted a bigger school and to take advantage of the diversity fo the student body, which I didn't get in high school, but for me the school is just too big. I spend most of my time on campus because I live downtown and to get to and from school just takes too much time to do multiple times per day, usually. I also have a lot of extra-cirriculars, so I need to stay on campus to work on those after my classes are finished. Even though NYU is in the middle of the city, I still feel like we have a little bit of a "college town" feel, ust because around campus most of the people you do see are students... and there are a lot of activities geared toward just students/the NYU community specifically. There's not a lot of school pride. People who do go see games and such is usually because they know people on the teams, which is fine, but it's not my thing. Besides sports, I think there is some school pride, just because you tell other people, "I go to NYU." and they know the name and will probably be somewhat impressed... The experiences I'll remember about NYU mainly concern my involvement in extracurricular activities. The most frequent student complaints have to do with teachers who aren't interested in their teaching (but rather their research, considering this is a university) so they put none, or barely any effort into actually teaching their students. Also, advisers are a big complaint, as well, as I already demonstrated.

I've had good experiences with different racial, religious etc groups of people. The only thing is that people generally segregate themselves according to those automatically. I wanted to come to NYU so I could meet a lot of different groups of people... and yet I've fallen into a group of similar socio-economic, racial, and religious background as me. Most students wear jeans or casual clothes to class, unless they have an interview or are goign to work afterwards. Or unless if they're in stern. Most NYU students are from the tri-state area.

That they all have a lot of money and can spend it however/wherever they want

No. My favorite class so far was Drawing. It was a small class so we got individual attention, and I enjoy drawing. I'm also really enjoying Modern South Asian Literature because it's also a fairly small class and there's a lot of discussion and room for students to speak and I like the fact that there's not too much lecturing. My Least favorite classes were Perception (in the psychology department) and Early Modern Architecture. The Perception teacher was unorganized, hard to understand, and just in general didn't teach well, and on Top of that he was a hard grader. The only person who knew what they were doing in that class was the TA and he's the only reason I passed. The early modern architecture teacher was a Terrible teacher. She was boring and didn't explain things well. She was way too old to be teaching, I don't even think she's teaching this semester or anymore after this last semester. She knew her subject but had no idea how to teach it. Any interest I had in the subject was sapped out of me through her teaching. I do think NYU students have some intellectual conversations outside of class. Students are definitely competitive, more so in some departments than others. My department (Urban Design and Architecture- in the Art History Department) is really small and I don't really like it. The biggest pain is that we have a "Fine Arts Library" where you have to go and read some of the homework your teachers assign you, but you can't, check out the books, or photocopy pages and take them out, nothing like that. You have to sit there and read you homework. AND the hours are bad for it too, so if you have a heavy course load then it's really hard to get in there to actually do your homework. Also there's NO DESIGN really involved in my major...it's mostly architectural history...and I'm most interested in the design aspect... so it kind of sucks overall. No, I don't spend time with professors outside of class. NYU's academic requirements are okay, I think it's good to have people try out every field of interest. The only thng I don't like is the fact that we have to take 2 sciences. The education is geared toward getting a job in some schools, but being a CAS student I don't think there's much help there unless you VERY actively seek out help at the career center. Learning for it's own sake doesn't happen unless you pursue your subjects like that.

Sara

The academics. The professors are really knowledgeable about their subject and it's so awesome to get to learn from them. I would get rid of the General Studies Program. It's for students who need to go to community college for two years first. NYU is too large. People are always impressed when I tell them I go to NYU. I spend most of my time in my room or exploring the city. What college town? NYU's administration is awful. It's too decentralized so it's difficult to know who to complain to about something. Then, when you find who to contact, there's no one above them to contact if they aren't helpful or if you want to complain about that department. The biggest controversy was liberal professors giving conservative students a hard time for being conservative, however, it's only been about two professors who have done that, so it's not as big of a deal as it was made out to be. There isn't a lot of school pride. A lot of people resent NYU for not being as much of a dream school as it seems to be before anyone gets there, but I think it's just different from what it's portrayed as, but I still love it. NYU holds some classes in the classroom inside Starbucks. There are people begging for money on your way to class. It's really big on "Going Green". It is always working on building more international campuses as well as buying other schools, such as Polytechnic University. One experience I'll always remember is when Barack Obama came to speak at Washington Square park, which is at the heart of NYU. The most frequent student complaints are that NYU isn't the dream school that everyone thought it was. It's too big. You never see the same people on your way to class. The lines for the elevators when going to class are ridiculous. Housing is too expensive for what you get.

NYU prides itself on its diversity and its acceptance of all groups of people. There is a club for every group possible. NYU is, however predominantly Jewish, but even non-Jewish people don't feel isolated because of that. There is a Kosher dining hall, but it's not something that makes people feel weird about. A non-Catholic Christian would feel out of place at NYU. I am Lutheran and I know about five Lutherans at NYU. However, even being one of these minorities doesn't necessarily make for feeling out of place because there are still clubs for non-Catholic Christians. Students do not tend to wear sweats to class like at other colleges. People do actually dress for class. Business school students usually wear a suit to class. Other students do put a conscious effort into their clothes at NYU, even if it doesn't look like it. All different types of students interact. The four tables of students in the dining hall have every type of student sitting in each chair. There may be a Muslim, a Jewish person, a Spanish person, a rural West Coast American, and a Chinese person all at the same table having a really great conversation. Like I said before, NYU prides itself on diversity because it exists and everyone embraces it and interacts with each other regardless of where someone is from. That's one of NYU's strong points. While NYU is diverse, however, most NYU students do hail from the tri-state area. That is the only generalization that can be made however because everyone else comes from so many different places, it's almost impossible to make any generalizations about it. Every financial background exists. There aren't any that are more prevalent than others. It's pretty equal. Most students are politically active/aware. They are predominantly left or center, but there is an NYU Republicans club, just like there's an NYU Democrats club. Students don't exactly talk about how much they'll earn. They more talk about how in debt they will be. Students in the business school might talk about how much they'll earn, but I don't know because I'm not in the business school.

NYU is an amazing school. Many people complain because it was there dream school and then when they actually get there, they don't like it, but that's mainly because it's such a big school and a lot of people feel lost in the crowd. However, it's not hard to join a club or get involved in something at NYU because there really is something for everyone, so if someone feels lost, they can easily be found by doing something they love with other people.

Most of the business school students wear suits to class. For the most part, the rest of them are accurate, except for knowing the Olsen twins.

Professors don't usually know your name, at least in intro courses where there are over 100 students. My favorite class was International Politics. It was taught by a really great professor who was interesting and knew the subject matter really well. He was also very good at conveying it and teaching it so that everyone understood it. My least favorite class was World Cultures: Empires and Political Imagination because the professors were very disorganized and weren't very good at communicating with their TAs, so that the TAs could help us in recitation. They also wrote the course pack and then read it during class, but tried to say that they were different even though they weren't. Students study a lot. It doesn't seem like it when it's not midterm or final seasons, but students do study a lot during those times. Class participation is very common. NYU students have intellectual conversations outside of class. Students are very competitive. The most unique class I've taken is Conversations of the West: Antiquity and the 19th Century. It was an English, history and sociology class all in one. It was an interesting combination that came together very nicely and it was very interesting. My majors are politics and math with pre-law advising. All of these departments are very helpful and really try to connect to the students. I do not spend time with my professors outside of class. Some of NYU's academic requirements are a little ridiculous and not worthwhile, such as Expressive Cultures and the language placement exams are not representative of students' knowledge at all. The education at NYU is geared toward learning and research. However, they are very helpful when it comes to jobs, career planning and internships. There's a whole center just for helping students with that and they have a lot of fairs throughout the year that give students more information about those things.

The business school students have the stereotype that they all wear suits to class and will be super rich by the time they graduate. The performing arts school kids students are thought of as starving artists and will not be very successful in life. It is thought that everyone else is going to be in debt and will not be as rich as the business school students. It is thought that everyone at NYU knows the Olsen twins.

The most popular organizations on campus are the Milk and Cookies Club, NYU Democrats, and a couple Jewish organizations. I'm involved in Model UN, which is very popular when the school year starts, but then people begin to stop coming because there are only 2 conferences a year. I'm also part of residence hall government, which is popular depending on the residence hall. It's also very rewarding because you get to decide what programs happen and you get to know all the details and get first dibs. Students don't usually leave their doors open in dorms. Some dorms don't let you open your door because of fire safety. Others don't stay open very well. Athletic events are unpopular. However, people still go because they are always sending emails advertising free food, t-shirts, and other goodies in order to intice people to come. Guest speakers and theater are very popular. NYU offers discounts on Broadway shows, off-Broadway shows and other events in the city. It's definitely one of the best perks it offers. NYU has a very dominating gay/lesbian scene. However, while there isn't a lot of dating going on within the school, people go out to clubs and parties to meet people and that's usually where dating starts for NYU students. I met my closest friends on my floor in my dorm. I also met some in my classes as well as when I studied abroad in London. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I'm probably reading because I'm unable to sleep. The traditions that happen every year are StrawberryFest in the spring, the dance on the boat that goes around Manhattan in the spring, graduation in Washington Square Park in the spring, Halloween parade, Chinese New Year in Chinatown. People party every weekend starting on Thursday because students don't usually have class on Fridays. Fraternities and sororities are not that important. There aren't even that many. I went to a Broadway show and studied last weekend. I also did a little shopping. You can go to a show, a play, a comedy club, the ballet, a restaurant, the Empire State building, shopping (stores are open very late in New York). I do all the things I just listed off campus because there isn't really an off and on campus. There's just New York City.

Adrienne

I think there are options for everyone.

Yes some do and they can be helpful.

Dramatic Actors/Actresses Gay boys in musical theatre Drinking in sororities and fraternities

White

The best thing about NYU is that it is in New York City. I would change the tuition, so that families who make under $60,000 get a full financial aid package. Our school is just about right. I spend most of my time in classrooms and in my dorm hanging out with friends. We have moderate school pride--def. not sports though. One experience that I will remember would definitely have to be welcome week. Frequent student complaints would have to be that NYU is looking to far ahead into the future rather than focusing on its current students.

Yes my professors know my name. My favorite class is the Writing The Essay plenary with Pay Hoy because its an interesting class that opened my mind in an artistic sense. Student study really hard, especially the Stern & Tisch people. The most unique class I've taken is Performance Strategies recitation.

I don't really know what the popular clubs, teams are. Yes,students do leave thier door open and it really helps when making friends. Athletic events, especially the Tear It Up events, are actually relevant and important.

NYU students are artsy, there is a large gay population, we're poor (as perhaps, all the college kids are), more girls than guys, Stern kids are ultra-competitive, Tisch kids are too sophisticated for their own good,

Amy

Best thing: professors/programs/opportunities for students and of course...living in the city Change: Administration-don't seem to care much about students, lots of red tape. There are too many students for anyone to get real individual attention and have all their needs met. People's reaction: Every time I say it, especially in Texas, I am met with wow's and you must be smart. Where I spend my time: When it's nice I spend the time in Washington Square Park-outside of that NYU has a beautiful student center that overlooks the park, fifth avenue, and empire state building

Every type of student attends NYU. Someone would feel out of place if they were looking for a super friendly campus. I feel like NYU attracts quasi introverts/more independent people. This is evidenced in the number of students who are members of greek life-it is very small.

Every type of person exists at NYU-but that's what makes it an interesting place to attend school. I have friends that are film geeks, pre-meds, artists, business students-Because of the wide range of programs that NYU offers, there are a wide range of of students that are attracted to it. School spirit exists but not in the traditional sense of rooting for sports teams. Sports aren't big, but people love and are proud of NYU.

Professors: I have loved nearly every professor I have had...most are happy to teach and have done interesting research...I often find myself googling my professors and swooning over their accomplishments Favorite Class: Medical Anthropology Study time: every major/school has different amounts of study depending on what you are doing...but in general NYU students are driven and passionate and want to do well-so yes studying happen a lot. Also, students are keenly aware of how much their education is costing them and don't want to waste the money by doing poorly. Most unique class: Art and Sculpture in NY-we don't use a textbook, instead we study art history based on the paintings/sculptures in museums in the city. My department: Anthropology...every professors is unique, wonderfully charismatic and passionate about their own specific research. They all enjoy teaching-I love the anthro department. Ever

Its unfriendly, its competitive, full of artsy crazies, full of druggies, no school spirit

New York University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.