New York, NY
New York University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend New York University

Ash

The best thing is the location. Living in new york is amazing. I'd change the advising. NYU has the worst advisers I've ever met. That might be because I'm in CAS, but the undergraduate advising is Horrible. There's a high turnover rate of advisers. After my first semester freshmen year my adviser left and I haven't had a set adviser since then. It's hard to try and plan your life out with someone who has no idea who you are or what you want to do with your career. And even if you explain to them they don't really guide as to what classes to take. I've wasted at least 4 courses doing things that I didn't need or want to do to get my major/minor/ or fulfill interests. That's a LOT of money wasted. I think the school is too big... because I went to a really small grade school (K-12th grade) and I liked that personalize interest given by the teachers. I came to NYU because I wanted a bigger school and to take advantage of the diversity fo the student body, which I didn't get in high school, but for me the school is just too big. I spend most of my time on campus because I live downtown and to get to and from school just takes too much time to do multiple times per day, usually. I also have a lot of extra-cirriculars, so I need to stay on campus to work on those after my classes are finished. Even though NYU is in the middle of the city, I still feel like we have a little bit of a "college town" feel, ust because around campus most of the people you do see are students... and there are a lot of activities geared toward just students/the NYU community specifically. There's not a lot of school pride. People who do go see games and such is usually because they know people on the teams, which is fine, but it's not my thing. Besides sports, I think there is some school pride, just because you tell other people, "I go to NYU." and they know the name and will probably be somewhat impressed... The experiences I'll remember about NYU mainly concern my involvement in extracurricular activities. The most frequent student complaints have to do with teachers who aren't interested in their teaching (but rather their research, considering this is a university) so they put none, or barely any effort into actually teaching their students. Also, advisers are a big complaint, as well, as I already demonstrated.

I've had good experiences with different racial, religious etc groups of people. The only thing is that people generally segregate themselves according to those automatically. I wanted to come to NYU so I could meet a lot of different groups of people... and yet I've fallen into a group of similar socio-economic, racial, and religious background as me. Most students wear jeans or casual clothes to class, unless they have an interview or are goign to work afterwards. Or unless if they're in stern. Most NYU students are from the tri-state area.

That they all have a lot of money and can spend it however/wherever they want

No. My favorite class so far was Drawing. It was a small class so we got individual attention, and I enjoy drawing. I'm also really enjoying Modern South Asian Literature because it's also a fairly small class and there's a lot of discussion and room for students to speak and I like the fact that there's not too much lecturing. My Least favorite classes were Perception (in the psychology department) and Early Modern Architecture. The Perception teacher was unorganized, hard to understand, and just in general didn't teach well, and on Top of that he was a hard grader. The only person who knew what they were doing in that class was the TA and he's the only reason I passed. The early modern architecture teacher was a Terrible teacher. She was boring and didn't explain things well. She was way too old to be teaching, I don't even think she's teaching this semester or anymore after this last semester. She knew her subject but had no idea how to teach it. Any interest I had in the subject was sapped out of me through her teaching. I do think NYU students have some intellectual conversations outside of class. Students are definitely competitive, more so in some departments than others. My department (Urban Design and Architecture- in the Art History Department) is really small and I don't really like it. The biggest pain is that we have a "Fine Arts Library" where you have to go and read some of the homework your teachers assign you, but you can't, check out the books, or photocopy pages and take them out, nothing like that. You have to sit there and read you homework. AND the hours are bad for it too, so if you have a heavy course load then it's really hard to get in there to actually do your homework. Also there's NO DESIGN really involved in my major...it's mostly architectural history...and I'm most interested in the design aspect... so it kind of sucks overall. No, I don't spend time with professors outside of class. NYU's academic requirements are okay, I think it's good to have people try out every field of interest. The only thng I don't like is the fact that we have to take 2 sciences. The education is geared toward getting a job in some schools, but being a CAS student I don't think there's much help there unless you VERY actively seek out help at the career center. Learning for it's own sake doesn't happen unless you pursue your subjects like that.

Sara

The academics. The professors are really knowledgeable about their subject and it's so awesome to get to learn from them. I would get rid of the General Studies Program. It's for students who need to go to community college for two years first. NYU is too large. People are always impressed when I tell them I go to NYU. I spend most of my time in my room or exploring the city. What college town? NYU's administration is awful. It's too decentralized so it's difficult to know who to complain to about something. Then, when you find who to contact, there's no one above them to contact if they aren't helpful or if you want to complain about that department. The biggest controversy was liberal professors giving conservative students a hard time for being conservative, however, it's only been about two professors who have done that, so it's not as big of a deal as it was made out to be. There isn't a lot of school pride. A lot of people resent NYU for not being as much of a dream school as it seems to be before anyone gets there, but I think it's just different from what it's portrayed as, but I still love it. NYU holds some classes in the classroom inside Starbucks. There are people begging for money on your way to class. It's really big on "Going Green". It is always working on building more international campuses as well as buying other schools, such as Polytechnic University. One experience I'll always remember is when Barack Obama came to speak at Washington Square park, which is at the heart of NYU. The most frequent student complaints are that NYU isn't the dream school that everyone thought it was. It's too big. You never see the same people on your way to class. The lines for the elevators when going to class are ridiculous. Housing is too expensive for what you get.

NYU prides itself on its diversity and its acceptance of all groups of people. There is a club for every group possible. NYU is, however predominantly Jewish, but even non-Jewish people don't feel isolated because of that. There is a Kosher dining hall, but it's not something that makes people feel weird about. A non-Catholic Christian would feel out of place at NYU. I am Lutheran and I know about five Lutherans at NYU. However, even being one of these minorities doesn't necessarily make for feeling out of place because there are still clubs for non-Catholic Christians. Students do not tend to wear sweats to class like at other colleges. People do actually dress for class. Business school students usually wear a suit to class. Other students do put a conscious effort into their clothes at NYU, even if it doesn't look like it. All different types of students interact. The four tables of students in the dining hall have every type of student sitting in each chair. There may be a Muslim, a Jewish person, a Spanish person, a rural West Coast American, and a Chinese person all at the same table having a really great conversation. Like I said before, NYU prides itself on diversity because it exists and everyone embraces it and interacts with each other regardless of where someone is from. That's one of NYU's strong points. While NYU is diverse, however, most NYU students do hail from the tri-state area. That is the only generalization that can be made however because everyone else comes from so many different places, it's almost impossible to make any generalizations about it. Every financial background exists. There aren't any that are more prevalent than others. It's pretty equal. Most students are politically active/aware. They are predominantly left or center, but there is an NYU Republicans club, just like there's an NYU Democrats club. Students don't exactly talk about how much they'll earn. They more talk about how in debt they will be. Students in the business school might talk about how much they'll earn, but I don't know because I'm not in the business school.

NYU is an amazing school. Many people complain because it was there dream school and then when they actually get there, they don't like it, but that's mainly because it's such a big school and a lot of people feel lost in the crowd. However, it's not hard to join a club or get involved in something at NYU because there really is something for everyone, so if someone feels lost, they can easily be found by doing something they love with other people.

Most of the business school students wear suits to class. For the most part, the rest of them are accurate, except for knowing the Olsen twins.

Professors don't usually know your name, at least in intro courses where there are over 100 students. My favorite class was International Politics. It was taught by a really great professor who was interesting and knew the subject matter really well. He was also very good at conveying it and teaching it so that everyone understood it. My least favorite class was World Cultures: Empires and Political Imagination because the professors were very disorganized and weren't very good at communicating with their TAs, so that the TAs could help us in recitation. They also wrote the course pack and then read it during class, but tried to say that they were different even though they weren't. Students study a lot. It doesn't seem like it when it's not midterm or final seasons, but students do study a lot during those times. Class participation is very common. NYU students have intellectual conversations outside of class. Students are very competitive. The most unique class I've taken is Conversations of the West: Antiquity and the 19th Century. It was an English, history and sociology class all in one. It was an interesting combination that came together very nicely and it was very interesting. My majors are politics and math with pre-law advising. All of these departments are very helpful and really try to connect to the students. I do not spend time with my professors outside of class. Some of NYU's academic requirements are a little ridiculous and not worthwhile, such as Expressive Cultures and the language placement exams are not representative of students' knowledge at all. The education at NYU is geared toward learning and research. However, they are very helpful when it comes to jobs, career planning and internships. There's a whole center just for helping students with that and they have a lot of fairs throughout the year that give students more information about those things.

The business school students have the stereotype that they all wear suits to class and will be super rich by the time they graduate. The performing arts school kids students are thought of as starving artists and will not be very successful in life. It is thought that everyone else is going to be in debt and will not be as rich as the business school students. It is thought that everyone at NYU knows the Olsen twins.

The most popular organizations on campus are the Milk and Cookies Club, NYU Democrats, and a couple Jewish organizations. I'm involved in Model UN, which is very popular when the school year starts, but then people begin to stop coming because there are only 2 conferences a year. I'm also part of residence hall government, which is popular depending on the residence hall. It's also very rewarding because you get to decide what programs happen and you get to know all the details and get first dibs. Students don't usually leave their doors open in dorms. Some dorms don't let you open your door because of fire safety. Others don't stay open very well. Athletic events are unpopular. However, people still go because they are always sending emails advertising free food, t-shirts, and other goodies in order to intice people to come. Guest speakers and theater are very popular. NYU offers discounts on Broadway shows, off-Broadway shows and other events in the city. It's definitely one of the best perks it offers. NYU has a very dominating gay/lesbian scene. However, while there isn't a lot of dating going on within the school, people go out to clubs and parties to meet people and that's usually where dating starts for NYU students. I met my closest friends on my floor in my dorm. I also met some in my classes as well as when I studied abroad in London. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I'm probably reading because I'm unable to sleep. The traditions that happen every year are StrawberryFest in the spring, the dance on the boat that goes around Manhattan in the spring, graduation in Washington Square Park in the spring, Halloween parade, Chinese New Year in Chinatown. People party every weekend starting on Thursday because students don't usually have class on Fridays. Fraternities and sororities are not that important. There aren't even that many. I went to a Broadway show and studied last weekend. I also did a little shopping. You can go to a show, a play, a comedy club, the ballet, a restaurant, the Empire State building, shopping (stores are open very late in New York). I do all the things I just listed off campus because there isn't really an off and on campus. There's just New York City.

Adrienne

I think there are options for everyone.

Yes some do and they can be helpful.

Dramatic Actors/Actresses Gay boys in musical theatre Drinking in sororities and fraternities

White

The best thing about NYU is that it is in New York City. I would change the tuition, so that families who make under $60,000 get a full financial aid package. Our school is just about right. I spend most of my time in classrooms and in my dorm hanging out with friends. We have moderate school pride--def. not sports though. One experience that I will remember would definitely have to be welcome week. Frequent student complaints would have to be that NYU is looking to far ahead into the future rather than focusing on its current students.

Yes my professors know my name. My favorite class is the Writing The Essay plenary with Pay Hoy because its an interesting class that opened my mind in an artistic sense. Student study really hard, especially the Stern & Tisch people. The most unique class I've taken is Performance Strategies recitation.

I don't really know what the popular clubs, teams are. Yes,students do leave thier door open and it really helps when making friends. Athletic events, especially the Tear It Up events, are actually relevant and important.

NYU students are artsy, there is a large gay population, we're poor (as perhaps, all the college kids are), more girls than guys, Stern kids are ultra-competitive, Tisch kids are too sophisticated for their own good,

Amy

Best thing: professors/programs/opportunities for students and of course...living in the city Change: Administration-don't seem to care much about students, lots of red tape. There are too many students for anyone to get real individual attention and have all their needs met. People's reaction: Every time I say it, especially in Texas, I am met with wow's and you must be smart. Where I spend my time: When it's nice I spend the time in Washington Square Park-outside of that NYU has a beautiful student center that overlooks the park, fifth avenue, and empire state building

Every type of student attends NYU. Someone would feel out of place if they were looking for a super friendly campus. I feel like NYU attracts quasi introverts/more independent people. This is evidenced in the number of students who are members of greek life-it is very small.

Every type of person exists at NYU-but that's what makes it an interesting place to attend school. I have friends that are film geeks, pre-meds, artists, business students-Because of the wide range of programs that NYU offers, there are a wide range of of students that are attracted to it. School spirit exists but not in the traditional sense of rooting for sports teams. Sports aren't big, but people love and are proud of NYU.

Professors: I have loved nearly every professor I have had...most are happy to teach and have done interesting research...I often find myself googling my professors and swooning over their accomplishments Favorite Class: Medical Anthropology Study time: every major/school has different amounts of study depending on what you are doing...but in general NYU students are driven and passionate and want to do well-so yes studying happen a lot. Also, students are keenly aware of how much their education is costing them and don't want to waste the money by doing poorly. Most unique class: Art and Sculpture in NY-we don't use a textbook, instead we study art history based on the paintings/sculptures in museums in the city. My department: Anthropology...every professors is unique, wonderfully charismatic and passionate about their own specific research. They all enjoy teaching-I love the anthro department. Ever

Its unfriendly, its competitive, full of artsy crazies, full of druggies, no school spirit

Andy

The administration was wonderful. The financial aid office was a but screwy, but eventually they got the job done. My advisor Linda Vega was a saint, seriously. I was a permanent fixture at the Barney Building. Thats where most of my classes were, and thats where I did all of my work. I also spent a lot of time in Washington Square Park. Downtown New York is really a fantastic place to be located as a student and artist. I would say there's just enough school pride to be the right amount.

Admittedly coming from a lower middle class working family, having never traveled outside the country or even been to a museum until I was old enough to go on my own, I felt out of place at NYU at first. Having a full time job while going to school did not allow for too many extracurricular activities. I found that I related closely to small amount of people who also happened to be transfers or just happened to be more from my socio-economic class. I did have many interesting conversations with a diverse group of people. I learned a lot by talking about personal experiences with those who has experienced more of the world than me. Most people I came to know were politically aware. In the art program most are liberal or center.

like any other school there were friendly people and not so friendly people. there was definitely a mode is social/economic class among students that I met. A bit more diversity would benefit the school. There was a very strong sense of competition and it did affect the interaction and ability to learn from each other. But, it also encouraged me to work my hardest for fear of being left in the dust. The amount of work was a bit extreme is some areas and lacking in others.

Close relationships were developed with all of my professors in the Steinhardt studio art program. I feel i grew as an artist and intellectual in all of the classes as appropriate readings and trips were included in the curriculum. The only thing I was very surprised at was the lack of technical training in a lot of the classes. I transferred from a community college that was very career oriented. Fine tuning technical skills was really emphasized there. I enjoyed the new conceptual trend at NYU, but couldn't help notice there were a lot of people in my advanced classes with great ideas but novice technical skills. Had I not received my foundation at community college I might not have had the knowledge to express my ideas the ways that I do. The professors I had were all knowledgeable in their fields and answered and easily technical questions I asked but it was not part of the curriculum. YES! The students are very competitive and very critical. All I can say is it builds character.

students are stuck up, over privileged, pretentious, the school is very competitive which gets in the way of camaraderie among its students the amount of work is unbelievable.

I didn't have a chance to partake in too many school activities. I did rent an apartment right near campus and generally 5-6 days a week a small group of friends that I met in my art classes came over to eat, drink, study, relax, make art, etc. Definitely a strong bond as we were all involved in some kind of art making and shared some of the same classes. saturday nights often included movies, walks, seeing our friend VJ at clubs downtown. I don't know anyone who was involved in a sorority or fraternity.

Kaitlin

The best thing about NYU is, hands down, the location. If I could change one thing, I would make it so that there's less red tape standing in your way whenever you want to do anything. There are so many nonsensical rules to break through or find your way around. You can accomplish alot but sometimes the amount of administration you have to go through to get there makes it not worth it.

NYU is so diverse! I have heard languages and seen people from all corners of the world. Some people have alot of money, some are barely scraping by on scholarships. Sternies often talk about how much money they are going to make on day. Stern is a school for people who love money and want to make a lot of it through Wall Street activities. NYU is also very good with clubs. If you have an idea for a club and go to the Student Life Office, they will give you a decent budget to get it started.

Hell ya! But there's also alot of other positive qualities in addition to these stereotypes. Everyone who goes to NYU is still a person, regardless of which school they go to, and worth getting to know. NYU is an incredibly diverse school in an awesome location.

Stern is really, really hard. It requires alot of dedication to get A's in it. The other schools (all of which I have taken classes in) were a piece of cake in comparision. If you want to excel at Stern, be prepared to do nothing but school work. I don't get nearly as good of grades as I did at my first school (I am a transfer from UCSB where I had a 4.0) because, to me, it's not worth giving up everything, my social life, extracurriculars, etc., just to get an A. The professors are incredibly smart and experienced in their field. If you make an effort to talk to them and go to office hours, they will listen but they are not going to seek you out. It's college, not freakn' elementary school people. Handholding is reserved for romantic relationships only here.

The stereotypes depend on which NYU school you attend. Sternies are known for being conservative, socially inept, boring, really smart people who wear suits to school everyday and only care about Wall Street [I am allowed to say this because I am in Stern :)] Tisch people are known for being super artsy fartsy, dramatic, weird and gay. Those are the two best know schools at NYU. The other schools fall in the inbetween category of sterotypes: rich, stuck up, fashionable, but still pretty typical young adults.

Ash

NYU's college town is NY City below 23rd street and Williamsburg/Bushwick in Brooklyn. Technically campus is from Union Square South to Washington Square South, from 6th avenue to Broadway, but it really radiates much farther out than that. NYU has a wonderful administration, a president who has hugged 80% of the student body before their graduation, and amazing professors. There is no school pride, but students are very proud. We dont walk around in NYU sweatshirts, or have flags in our dorm rooms, but we're very proud of our school within a city. Unfortunately we've recently been known as a school of many controversies (suicides and drug busts), but its actually a very warm environment. The biggest student complaint is probably about Weinstein Dormatory being a concrete prison, but once you get past it, you realize its the same dorm that the Beastie Boys used to practice, and then its not so bad.

Everyone can find a place at NYU. Literally. Unless you're wearing sweatpants (and havent just come from the gym). Our dining halls were quite good, but I rarely went. When you're in a city where the food is so good, why would you go to a dining hall?! Sometimes I did feel as though many NYU students were from affluent backgrounds, but money was rarely discussed.

It is difficult to go to NYU as a freshman. You're suddenly in the city, without a campus or a defined community. Its hard and depressing as a freshman, and most students want to transfer their first semester. But after you come back from winter break, you begin to fall in love with your school, finding your community and close group of friends. When you meet up with your peers from home, you wont have very much in common regarding your school. There is no football team, few fraternities, few sororities. There are no eating clubs, and no school green (unless you count Washington Square park or the steps of Union Square). But there are restaurants, and Frisbee in Central Park, free Fridays at the MoMA, and underground concerts in Williamsburg. And since you wont need a car, you wont have to beg your parents for one...and you wont have to pay for the increasing gas prices!

A little. Compared to other schools, students who to go NYU, like NYers as a whole, rarely leave the house wearing sweatpants (unless we're on our way to the gym). We are immersed in the culture of the city, as we are a school of the city, so our love of art, and eclectic music, fashion, and social interactions are all more intensified than if we were at a campus school. But there are students of all varieties besides theater majors or cultural brown-nosers. And while we dont live on campus or go to frat parties (there are frat parties on campus, but most of them are in bars rather than "houses" which have capacity restrictions for security reasons) but our school spirit is heavily invested in the fact that we have no spirit. You will never find another group of students as proud to be known as the "fighting violets" (the scariest mascot around!)

Many professors are only adjunct because they are practicing professionals, which adds a very realistic air to your learning. I've had many of my senior seminars in the conference rooms of my professors offices. My favorite classes were those where I got to roam the city -- it was a very hands on experience. Class participation is more common in smaller classes, which are commonly those of upper classmen. Large lectures have small T.A. taught, required classes, where class participation is more common. NYU is an amazing education experience, but alumnis joke that its not helpful in procuring a job. While NYU students have amazing internships, and opportunities and experiences as undergraduates, they become "over qualified," and are passed over for many jobs. Unless you are going to Stern School of Business, or plan on going to graduate school, your successes at NYU don't make it easier to get a job. While most students study (you have to be smart to go to NYU afterall), some study more than others. As a premed student, my best friends were my textbooks. I'd work/study hard, and play hard. My roommate, a jazz composition major, would be "studying" all the time too, by practicing constantly (a different type of study), but my other roommate, a Gallatin Graduate, would rarely study, and rarely had exams or finals...which made me awfully jealous.

Students in dorms left their doors open in the freshman dorms. In the upperclass dorms, most rooms were apartment style, and thus kept private. I only lived in a dorm my freshman year (NYU is short on housing, and many students move to apartments). I didnt really date in school, but most of the people I did date, were older, and not NYU graduates. I was ALWAYS awake at 2am on a Tuesday, usually studying. Most people up at 2am on a Tuesday were either at their place, or the library, studying, or drunk. What cant you do on a saturday night that doesnt involve drinking?! Bowling, ping-pong, movies, billiards, concerts, theatre, opera, ballet, jazz bars, ice skating, gallery openings, parties, dinner, clubs! (You can always go to a bar and hang with your friend without drinking.). No matter what you do or where you go at NYU will you feel pressure to drink or do drugs. People dont sit around in dorm rooms drinking, because there is so much else to do outside! Fraternities and Sororities make up less than 10% of the student body. If you're looking for that experience, its available to you, but it is so minimal. In all my years at NYU i've only met two people who were in Greek Life.

We're all beautiful, too cool for school, and partyers. We're hipsters, and wealthy artist-types, who care little about learning and all about culture.

Katie

NYU has no gated campus, which is amazing. The best thing about this school is that it is fully a part of the community and you get to experience the city every day! One thing that I don't really like is that NYU has no football team. I guess because it's a very "smart" school and we don't have room for a football stadium it makes sense, but at a lot of schools that's where the school spirit is built, in the football stadium. I think there'd be more school pride if we had some sort of sports team, not just football. Intramural sports don't really cut it. In the film department, the most frequent complaints are definitely about the allotments. We already pay a very large amount for tuition (and there's an extra fee for being in the film department, I believe) and then we have to buy most of our own supplies on top of that? That makes a lot of film students upset.

One of the best things about NYU and the film department in particular, is the class sizes. Most of my classes have fifteen people or less, which makes for a very comfortable environment where everyone can get to know each other quickly and students feel like their attendance and participation matters. Students here are extremely competitive. Especially in the upper level core production courses, because students must complete for the allotment and for a lot of students, if you don't get an allotment you can't afford to make your film, and if you don't make a senior film you have no calling card when you leave school. As far as I've seen, the film departments goal is to teach students the ins and outs of film making and to make students as prepared as possible for the real world. They want students to learn as much as possible, but also be able to function in the film business.

New York University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.