Brookings, SD
South Dakota State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend South Dakota State University

Krissa

We are well known for many things, hardworking , bright students, competative athletics, and compassionate involved students.

I would suggest that every student visit all the campuses they are seriously considering. A visit can make a huge difference in your decision. Visiting gives you a sense of what the college is like and the type of environment. I was debating between two universities until i visited both. I felt instantly comfortable and at ease on the campus of SDSU where I currently attend school. The other college i had considered seemed unfriendly and to small when i visited in person.

We need to focus more on becoming a "green campus". Also the books at the bookstore are ridiculously overpriced.

Jen

My school is unique in that the people who go here either love it or hate it. Most of the people who love it are from a small town in South Dakota and most of the people who hate it are from a bigger city. Our campus is kind of split down the middle. One side is for the farmers and cowboys and the other is for the athletes and preps.

My main advice to both parents and students about choosing a college would be to not base your decision off money. I know it's very tempting if you get a scholarship offer and your parents are loving the reduced bill and you're excited to tell your friends you got a scholarship but in the end it may not be worth it. I'm not saying to go to a private college if you don't have the money and take out large student loans but you should remember that loans aren't necessarily a bad thing all the time. Also, my advice would be to put yourself out there and get involved. Although it may be scary, introduce yourself to new people. I took a chance last year and asked a girl in my biology class if she wanted to get lunch together and now she's one of my lifelong best friends. Know who you are as a person and expand on those traits. Try new things but be safe and don't forget who you are. College is your time to find yourself. Make every day count!

From my personal experience, I feel that a small town type of person should go here. If you like shopping malls, highways, restaurants, diverse activities and clubs to participate in such as hip-hop club, and things to do on the weekends, do not go to this school. If you don't mind seeing gravel roads and no trees, this is your place. Also, if you are a pharmacy, nursing or agriculture major from a small town, you will most likely like it here.

Sara

When choosing a school parents should let their children make the decision. Although going to college is about getting an education, the biggest part about surviving college is the environment you are in. When students choose a college they should choose one that they are most comfortable in or can see themselves growing accustomed to. If a person gets a long with people better in smaller groups then perhaps they should choose a smaller school. Most schools, especially universities contain the same level of teaching at each school along with the basic majors. The reason the community and environment is the most important is because if a person doesn't get along with their surroundings, they are less likely to do good on other things and if they end up just focusing on classes without social activity because they disagree with their surrounds, they are less likely to be able to handle the world around them after college. Also, when parents make the decision for their kids they are initially choosing their future for them. Students need to know how to make decisions in order to survive on their own in the future.

A person interested in the sciences and likes small towns and the country. People who live on farms tend to like it the most. People who are willing to work hard and understand what working means. People who enjoy being part of a family as a whole with in their school. A person who is laid back and doesn't focus to hard on material things, but rather getting to know and understand people.

The fact that our school is more old fashioned and contains more food providers. The school contains a lot of people who know how to work hard and have their heads on straight to where they know what they are going to do with their life. People know how to have both social lives and still work on school work without jeapordizing their future. Plus, our school contains a ton of school spirit compared to most because of its small town living style. Everyone is family pretty much.

Jhaki

I would advise parents to offer assistance, not orders. Believe it or not your children may think differently than you, and may want a different life than you. For students, follow your intuition. Of course that intuition should be preceded by research in several schools. What is important to you? A good football team? Cost? Diversity? Location? Successful graduates? A good ol' fashion list of pros and cons is a very sensible approach. Follow up with a college visit and try to talk to a current student who isn't being paid by the school to show you around.

Conservative types. Those that want to get married, have children, and NOT think about the world outside of South Dakota. People that want to think exactly like their parents. People that don't understand that different people around the world are still people, even though they aren't christian farmers. Basically naive bigots should go to this school.

Trying to have an intelligent or unique conversation with ANYONE at the school. (SEE ABOVE)

Carolyn

My classmates can be serious but most of the time they are fun-loving to alleviate stress and lighten the moment but they show respect to others and the professors.

When looking for the right college, I would consider three major factors: cost, location, and majors offered. If the student knows what they want to study before they go to college that helps narrow down the college search. Cost is a big factor, especially with our economy in the downturn its currently in. If they can get a scholarship at a school but it doesn't have the exact major they want, I would still consider it because they could transfer to another school that has it for the last two years and possibly save money in the long run. I also say location because you never know how homesick you will get until it actually happens. I knew a girl from Las Vegas and she couldn't go home until Thanksgiving and Christmas because of the airfare costs but she ended up transferring out during second semester because she couldn't handle being so far away from home. Having a great college experience is keeping track of your syllabi and assignment deadlines, hanging out with friends and checking out everything campus has to offer for fun, people-meeting activities.

This school is culturally diverse so anyone could attend this school. We have students from all over the US here for academic or athletic reasons. It makes for a fun, lively atmosphere since those who attend here come from various economic backgrounds because we all merge together and make a lot of new friends from different regions.

We recently moved up a division in football, to Division I in our area. Everyone thought we were going to be that easy team from small town South Dakota, then they played us. Everyone here has heart, grit and determination. We have higher expectations from growing up working all our lives in rural areas and it shows in our coursework and later in our careers. There is a reason kids from South Dakota are demanded across the country. We know how to work and do it right the first time.

It's small enough to feel like home, where you know someone on campus every five minutes, but still feels big enough that not everyone knows your business like my high school class of 75. Everyone is friendly and helpful, and while we don't have all the shopping of big cities, there is more than enough to live a simple college existence. Friends are easily made and you can't help but fall in love with the changing of each season.

Tour every school you even remotely think about. I toured everywhere I could, I wasn't sure I wanted to be so close to home, or have half of my graduating class at the same school I went to. But every place I toured didn't have that great of a program, or it was too big, or too small, or too far from home, it wasn't friendly enough or it was spooky due to lack of privacy. After every tour South Dakota State looked better and better, and I'm so happy I came here. In the spring the snow melts and flowers bloom and birds come back. In the summer it's warm and sunny with great rainy days. In the fall everything changes colors and becomes a new world. Finally, winter snow blankets everything for six months and you feel you truly know what a winter wonderland is. South Dakota is small and quaint, but it's up and coming. Ethonal is a big income for the state and research continues at our university alone. Not to mention its a land grant university, which is rare, the only one in South Dakota. Its worth coming here.

Anita

I would advise them to choose what suits them most and to follow their dreams. You truly can go anywhere from any college you attend. You only have to believe that you can. Also, save as much money as you can before school. You'll need it.

Lack of financial aid with the economy the way it now. Many students struggle to make ends meet each month. Assistance would be helpful.

Jeffery

My class mates are for the most part intent on finishing their degrees and finding good jobs in the next few years.

Find a good balance between having fun and learning. You can't make the most of your college experience if you study all the time, but you won't have a college experience if you just go out and party every night.

The cold weather makes it very uncomfortable for the middle of the school year. Other than that, athe school is excellent.

Brittnay

I like how close the community is to the college.

I like how close the community is to the college.

Find a college that you like and not one that your friends or others pressure you into going. Don't just go to a college just because all of your friends are going to.

There is nothing that I needed to know. I was well informed when I came to orientation.

South Dakota State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.