Brookings, SD
South Dakota State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend South Dakota State University

Leslie

The first advice I would give to myself is that a smart idea would be to go to a community college where you can get your first two years paid for and have less debt after you graduate. Its also a GREAT transition going to a smaller school. Another thing I would have told myself is take challenging classes in high school to ready yourself for college. I know that it is so hard to try as a senior because you are so ready to graduate but once again in the end it will be worth it. And the third thing. GET INVOLVED! It is so important to have extra curricular activities under your belt and to step out and try new things! College is such a transition period and an indicator of your future life and starting earlier with good habits will help make you even more successful in the end!

The size can be a bit of a downer because a lot of the times you dont know a lot of people you see during the day. Once you have been here for a couple of years though that changes! And you definitely have to go out and make an effort to meet people!

The nursing program here at SDSU is so great! Very challenging but rewarding if you put effort and drive into your studies and choices. There are also always things to do here if you take the time, and it is a beautiful campus.

Rebecca

I would advise myself to not take the year off after high school. I took this route and it led to me being out of school for five years and entering back into school was extremely difficult especially with a 4 year old boy. I would tell myself that I am going to have to work harder and focus because there I only have myself to push me to go to class, complete assignments and study for exams. I would most likely tell myself to apply to universities in different states that way I could experience what life is like in a different part of the country. I would also stress not to be influenced by others. Peer pressure is hard to overcome but almost always leads to disaster. I would make sure that I know I am going to have to be strong, stick to my morals and beliefs and remember what my parents have taught me throughout life about the world and the evils that exist in it. I would also tell my high school self to choose a career that she is going to love and will help to make a difference in the world.

Amy

SDSU is a very rural university with a strong emphasis on agricultural programming.

If I had the opportunity to speak to myself as a high school senior, I would have so much to say!! The biggest thing I would want to share with myself regarding the transition to college life would be to take it all seriously, but to find ways to enjoy it, too. Coming to college as an eighteen year old, I was so young and so naïve. Finding a way to pay for college then seemed impossible. It has been a much tougher road as I have worked to complete my degree as an adult while raising my children, and if I could go back and talk to myself back then, I would want to make it clear how much easier things would be if I could find a way to balance the financial challenges and keep working at my degree then, rather than coming back later. Although I thought I had financial hurdles then, they were nothing compared to what I have had to overcome now. If only I could have seen the road ahead then, I would have done so many things differently, and that is what I would want my high school self to know.

I would have liked to have known how strong the farming/rodeo element was at this school

Jakob

I have a couple things that I wish I would have done. One would be to study more. I had terrible study habits that started in my freshman year and slightly carried over into college until I stopped it. During my senior year, I had the least amount of classes in a school year ever. Although I did pass all my classes, I should've aced every one of my classes considering all the free time I had. Another was to retake the ACT. My first time I took the ACT, I got an 18. Just barely enough in my view and I wanted to retake it. Even though I did schedule for another, there was a blizzard this day and was rescheduled. Unfortunately, I had to work on the day and could not attend. I ended up getting too caught up in working and was unable to sign up for another day which I very much regret. Finally, I would tell myself to be more available to work during the summer and save more of the money I do earn. I don’t think I saved enough from this summer to last me the rest of the school year.

Even though South Dakota State University is 13,000 students strong and the largest state college in South Dakota, there is still that "down-home'' feeling around campus. My assumption is that a majority of the SDSU students are from South Dakota which means that many people come from small towns of about 5,000 or less (including myself). This means that you are nicer to people because in a small town, chances are you are going to see a person many times in a day or week. Also, SDSU makes and sells its own great homemade Ice Cream.

I probably consider the amount we pay for college the worst part. Although South Dakota State University is cheaper than let’s say a private college, lots of what SDSU charges are high. One unnecessary charge is what they call an Activity Fee. This is a set amount that SDSU adds to every student's tuition which allows students to get into most sporting events and activities for free. Although convenient for sports go-errs, I think this should be optional for those students who do not like to go to events.

My classmates at South Dakota State University, are friendly and easy to get along with.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take academic scholarships more seriously and enjoy quality time with my friends. Going to college is a big commitment and expensive, spending a large amount of money is foolish when there are so many different varieties of scholarships offered. By taking time to both search and apply for multiple scholarships, college can become a little easier on finances. I would also advise my senior self to cherish the time I had left with my high school friends. Seinor year is a fun and important time in everyone's life and sharing those moments with friends makes it even better.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of parking lots close to classroom buildings.

Eric

Its a smaller college located in the midwest that is very academically oriented.

I would tell myself to learn how to study better and to not procrastinate. I would also tell my self to not be so shy when first starting college and to meet more people during my first year.

A person who is looking to go to a party school should not attend this university.

Richard

Richard, don't be scared about going to a community college. I know most of you're friends are going to a big university but you need to do whats right for you. This isn't high school anymore. You have to make your own path and decide your own future. Dont rely on anyone to make your decisions. Try speaking up more in class, because you weren't very social in high school. What im trying to tell you is very simple. You have the capabilities to be very successful but you lack the confidence. "The greatest risk in life is not taking one". (Crawford) Theres a wide variety of people in college and they can help you learn better than some of the professors. I made the mistake of being shy in class and not talking to these people before it was too late. Don't be scared, be confident, look up when you walk, talk to people in your classes, and most importantly have fun. If you want to finish your degree in four years thats fine, but dont rush. I wasn't very social, so I spent most of my days over studying, manage your time!

Marissa

SDSU is on the cutting edge of what larger school have attained. The school is still in the phase of adding new majors to adjust to our growing economy. Class sizes are small which allows for one on one attention at least once per class period.

Advice to high school Marissa from college Marissa: Set a goal for a 4.0 GPA. It’s ok to ask for help and take advantage of tutors’ assistance. Questions are meant to be asked so ask them. Categorize school materials/projects that could aid in the success for college. Listen to teachers’ lectures because beyond the material required to be taught are pieces of life advice woven in their words. Learn to balance work, grades and extra curriculars because all three grow maturity when achieved. Create a web of connections because it will grow into resources for the future. Allocate a percentage of paycheck for college expenses. Manage earned money well. Attend garage sales and ask family members for household items not in use that could be used to stock a college dorm. Explore future career interest by job shadowing or volunteering. Start a journal of college goals that will lead to a career. Play a role in your community by coaching, city cleanup, or writing an editorial. Spend time at the library and use its vast resources. Read more literature. Commit to using new vocabulary. Take care of yourself emotionally, physically, spiritually so as to be healthy.

I wish I had known the majors more indepth. I feel it would have helped me in making a successful choice in a major for a successful career.

Regan

"CALM DOWN!" I was so scared for college! I was sure I'd forget something or it would be too hard or I wouldn't make any friends. I would tell myself "Relax, college is SO MUCH better than high school. If you work hard, you'll do fine. People in college are way more friendly than in high school- don't fret. Just go into with a positive attitude."

The worst thing at the schoool is the grass. I know that sounds silly, but the grass needs help. The campus is also sort of messy.

Candie

I'm new to the school starting Fall semester but I do know they are very well known for their Medical degrees that they offer...

This school is very well known for their nursing program. What is unique is that I live 40 miles away from school and will never have to step foot on campus because I am taking all my class thru the University Center located in Sioux Falls, SD. I will also be able to complete my clinicals in the town I live in.

South Dakota State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.