Brookings, SD
South Dakota State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend South Dakota State University

Jakob

I have a couple things that I wish I would have done. One would be to study more. I had terrible study habits that started in my freshman year and slightly carried over into college until I stopped it. During my senior year, I had the least amount of classes in a school year ever. Although I did pass all my classes, I should've aced every one of my classes considering all the free time I had. Another was to retake the ACT. My first time I took the ACT, I got an 18. Just barely enough in my view and I wanted to retake it. Even though I did schedule for another, there was a blizzard this day and was rescheduled. Unfortunately, I had to work on the day and could not attend. I ended up getting too caught up in working and was unable to sign up for another day which I very much regret. Finally, I would tell myself to be more available to work during the summer and save more of the money I do earn. I don’t think I saved enough from this summer to last me the rest of the school year.

Even though South Dakota State University is 13,000 students strong and the largest state college in South Dakota, there is still that "down-home'' feeling around campus. My assumption is that a majority of the SDSU students are from South Dakota which means that many people come from small towns of about 5,000 or less (including myself). This means that you are nicer to people because in a small town, chances are you are going to see a person many times in a day or week. Also, SDSU makes and sells its own great homemade Ice Cream.

I probably consider the amount we pay for college the worst part. Although South Dakota State University is cheaper than let’s say a private college, lots of what SDSU charges are high. One unnecessary charge is what they call an Activity Fee. This is a set amount that SDSU adds to every student's tuition which allows students to get into most sporting events and activities for free. Although convenient for sports go-errs, I think this should be optional for those students who do not like to go to events.

My classmates at South Dakota State University, are friendly and easy to get along with.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take academic scholarships more seriously and enjoy quality time with my friends. Going to college is a big commitment and expensive, spending a large amount of money is foolish when there are so many different varieties of scholarships offered. By taking time to both search and apply for multiple scholarships, college can become a little easier on finances. I would also advise my senior self to cherish the time I had left with my high school friends. Seinor year is a fun and important time in everyone's life and sharing those moments with friends makes it even better.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of parking lots close to classroom buildings.

Eric

Its a smaller college located in the midwest that is very academically oriented.

I would tell myself to learn how to study better and to not procrastinate. I would also tell my self to not be so shy when first starting college and to meet more people during my first year.

A person who is looking to go to a party school should not attend this university.

Richard

Richard, don't be scared about going to a community college. I know most of you're friends are going to a big university but you need to do whats right for you. This isn't high school anymore. You have to make your own path and decide your own future. Dont rely on anyone to make your decisions. Try speaking up more in class, because you weren't very social in high school. What im trying to tell you is very simple. You have the capabilities to be very successful but you lack the confidence. "The greatest risk in life is not taking one". (Crawford) Theres a wide variety of people in college and they can help you learn better than some of the professors. I made the mistake of being shy in class and not talking to these people before it was too late. Don't be scared, be confident, look up when you walk, talk to people in your classes, and most importantly have fun. If you want to finish your degree in four years thats fine, but dont rush. I wasn't very social, so I spent most of my days over studying, manage your time!

Marissa

SDSU is on the cutting edge of what larger school have attained. The school is still in the phase of adding new majors to adjust to our growing economy. Class sizes are small which allows for one on one attention at least once per class period.

Advice to high school Marissa from college Marissa: Set a goal for a 4.0 GPA. It’s ok to ask for help and take advantage of tutors’ assistance. Questions are meant to be asked so ask them. Categorize school materials/projects that could aid in the success for college. Listen to teachers’ lectures because beyond the material required to be taught are pieces of life advice woven in their words. Learn to balance work, grades and extra curriculars because all three grow maturity when achieved. Create a web of connections because it will grow into resources for the future. Allocate a percentage of paycheck for college expenses. Manage earned money well. Attend garage sales and ask family members for household items not in use that could be used to stock a college dorm. Explore future career interest by job shadowing or volunteering. Start a journal of college goals that will lead to a career. Play a role in your community by coaching, city cleanup, or writing an editorial. Spend time at the library and use its vast resources. Read more literature. Commit to using new vocabulary. Take care of yourself emotionally, physically, spiritually so as to be healthy.

I wish I had known the majors more indepth. I feel it would have helped me in making a successful choice in a major for a successful career.

Regan

"CALM DOWN!" I was so scared for college! I was sure I'd forget something or it would be too hard or I wouldn't make any friends. I would tell myself "Relax, college is SO MUCH better than high school. If you work hard, you'll do fine. People in college are way more friendly than in high school- don't fret. Just go into with a positive attitude."

The worst thing at the schoool is the grass. I know that sounds silly, but the grass needs help. The campus is also sort of messy.

Candie

I'm new to the school starting Fall semester but I do know they are very well known for their Medical degrees that they offer...

This school is very well known for their nursing program. What is unique is that I live 40 miles away from school and will never have to step foot on campus because I am taking all my class thru the University Center located in Sioux Falls, SD. I will also be able to complete my clinicals in the town I live in.

Shelby

If I could talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself three things. First of all, I would tell myself to really focus on my schoolwork. The habits that we create in high school, while they work great in high school, do not carry over well into college. Transitioning into the new workload could be so much less of a hassle if you get into positive habits now. Secondly, I would tell myself to listen to my teachers. I never realized how wise my teachers were until I was out of high school. I will find myself in a situation and remember my teacher talking exactly about this the year before. They really do know what they are talking about. Weird, eh? Last but definitely not least, I would tell myself to have a lot of fun. I worked a part-time job my junior and senior year. While it was nice to have extra spending cash, I realize that those were the last two real years of my childhood. I would tell myself to relax and enjoy the comfort of not having bills to pay. Enjoy the simplicity of high school before it’s gone.

Meggan

If I could go back in time and be a senior in high school again I would do many things over. I would have worked harder at raising my GPA. Your GPA makes all the difference when you apply to a school. The transition from high school to college can be challenging. Once in college you gain so much freedom that it can be overwhelming at times. As a student you must learn to manage your time. Investing in planner is the best thing that I've found that helps you to keep track of your schedule. Write down every little thing that you might need to keep up with because you will be amazed of all of the things that will slip away from you even when you have it wrote down right in front of you. The college pace is too fast for you to be forgetting things. There is no option for late work. An assignment is either done on time or not done at all. Lastly do NOT allow yourself to procrastinate! Procrastination will be a college students worst enemy especially through the first year of college. Stay focused and work hard for what YOU want.

Kara

SDSU is known for their athletics, agricultural programs and clean environment.

SDSU is known for their athletics, agricultural programs and clean environment.

As I am nearing the end of my junior year of college, I have decided to leave South Dakota State University to attend Dakota State University in Madison, SD. I chose SDSU because my older sister was in attendance there and I looked up to her. I was not really sure what I wanted to pursue as a senior in high school, so I decided that because SDSU was in-state, it would have reasonable tuition and my sister would be there for support. SDSU was the only school I applied to during my senior year. Looking back, I really wish I would have looked into other schools and their programs. Honestly, I did not do much research about what SDSU actually had to offer, other than a nice campus. If I could tell myself one piece of helpful information, it would be to not choose a school because of family or friends. It is important to make sure the school offers programs of interest if you are unsure of your major so you do not waste your time and money on something that is not beneficial to your future.

A person that is very narrow minded should not attend this school.

South Dakota State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.