Brookings, SD
South Dakota State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend South Dakota State University

Chase

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to save more money for college. All of the little things that are needed for school tend to add up quickly and it would be nice to have some extra money lying around. I would also tell myself to become more involved in campus activities earlier on. Activities such as joining clubs, attending plays, miscellaneous activities around campus, or even looking into joining a fraternity are all things that I would tell myself if I would be able to go back in time. I'd also remind myself that college life isn't like what is portrayed in movies, and just all parties. There's a lot of studying to do, and a lot of time management that is needed. Getting priorities straight is very important, and sometimes difficult to do when trying to maintain a social life as well as doing well in clases.

I wish I had known how much time I would have to put into studying course material. In high school, I didn't have to put in as much time as I currently do at college. If I would have known this before, I would have been able to better prioritize my time before I came to college and be more prepared to stay busy with schoolwork.

Winter time is what I consider the worst thing. Our campus is generally a walk around campus, and during the winter it gets extremely cold and windy. This makes it a miserable experience to walk to each class.

Most of them are really nice, quiet and otherwise keep to themselves if they don't know anyone, while others are there to get the attendence points and not pay attention.

The advice that I would give myself, is that I would need to try harder on my test and taking the necessary steps to look for more scholarships to help my funding. Also, take the ap classes that are available at my High school, so when I go to college I would be able to take other classes that i would want to take for my major. Also, being more invovled in the community around me and learning how to take notes better and different ways to studying.

The idea of people staying up really late and being loud while I am trying to sleep, and having a 8am class the next morning. I enjoy going to classes and not skipping, but when I can't sleep I wont be able to get up the next and end up missing my classes sometimes.

Carla

The experience of a community college is not like a normal university to where you have a lot of time with students around you because of the schedules one decides. My experience at Lonestar community college was very unexpected because I learned a lot from my professors, I did not have much of a social life to distract me from my studies, I had plenty of attention from my professors for when I needed help, and my schedule with school and work was beyond the best combination. So I would have to say it was very enjoyable and the number thing that I valued from going to this college was the amount of attention the professors are willing to give to their students.

Devon

While I cannot say that an education was my biggest benifet from college, the experience was worth the time I put in. The most important thing I learned was to only take on loans if you absolutely need them and never borrow more than you can pay back. While many people say college is an investment, you have to be careful with the risk you take. Also, take more classes that you want to take, even if it isn't specific to your major. Looking back, I wish I would have taken some art classes. College is your opportunity to experience as much as possible, because once you are finished, real life takes over.

SDSU is about the right size for and undergraduate program. While there were some classes with 400 students, others only had 15-20. It was nice in the smaller classes to get to know your professors and not be another number.

Anyone who likes to be outdoors in the winter will not enjoy SDSU. The weather is extremely cold and windy.

Asia

Before making the decision to attend the community college I am currently enrolled in, I did in fact go to a 4 year institution for a semester. I was unable to stay, do to expenses of on campus living that my grants and scholarships were unable to cover. I learned a great deal in that one semester I was there. I was on my own; I made decisions that affected my life whether it is educationally, or socially. I found out very quickly that college was not easy, and over time it would just get more difficult. I am thankful for that experience, because I can appreciate the many nights I stayed up doing homework and studying without some telling me to do so. College allows a young adult to truly experience independence and make crucial life decisions. I would not be the independent young woman I am today without attending college. I now work and attend a community college this semester, looking forward to transferring the following semester.

Kristen

My classmates at SDSU are kind, courtious, and hard working people that will go out of their way to help their peers.

My college experience so far has exposed me to different thoughts and ways of doing things. This has come not only from instructors and professors but also other students. I was raised in a rural community and although State is also in a rural area it is in another part of the state where socio-economic factors and culture differ from my home. Some of the things I have been exposed to have been of great value. Although I worked all through high school, I have a great deal more independence and have to be more disciplined than when I was at home. While this is not a 'function' of my education, it is a life lesson that will guide me the rest of my life. Finally, the most important thing I have received so far from my education is learning to develop new relationships. Many of my friends growing up have gone to other universities and so I have had to reach out to new people and form a new circle of friends. This skill is important in networking which will be valuable after I graduate.

I consider the difficulty in ordering books before classes start the worst thing about my school.

Mercedes

It is valuable for me to attend college, and further my educatin because noone in my family had a Bachelor's degree. While in college I learned that college is a lot harder than high school and you have to make yourself have time to study. i work two jobs and attend college full time, and i struggle in school a little bit because i have no time to study. So scholarships are important to me and my furhtering in college.

Lily

There is nothing more valuable than a college education. It can provide career opportunities, financial support, and experiences that cannot be achieved anywhere else. The most important skills I have learned in college are for my future career. I have acquired knowledge about the structure and function of the human body and learned how to identify disease causing organisms. Math has provided the skills essential for making accurate dosages for patients. While working with others in labs I have learned the importance of teamwork. Teamwork is very important for a nurse because there are many health professionals that I will need to work with to ensure the health of patients. As well as the career experiences and valuable education I have gained skills that help me be an independent adult. I have learned how to be more responsible while attending college. By attending college I have learned time management skills such as getting to class on time and spreading out course work so that I get everything done. I have also gained a better sense of the community through community service. College has provided me with many beneficial and valuable experiences that will help me in me future career, nursing.

Katie

South Dakota State University prepares students for the job world by providing the perfect learning environment with state of the art equipment and passionate professors.

I have gotten many valuable things from attending South Dakota State University. First, I have learned how to deal with the large amounts of stress that come with pressure from school work and activities. Reducing stress meant letting go of things that were not important to me. Overall, it helped create a new set of personal values. Second, I have learned how to manage my time. In high school, my mom made sure everything was done. When I started college, no one guided me through the day. Instead, I had to manage my time and guide myself through the day to get things done. Finally, I have learned how to accept people for who they are. Throughout my college experience, I have worked with people from multiple backgrounds and ethnicities. I learned to see the world through their eyes and accept them for who they are. Basically, they taught me not to judge people. Overall, college has taught me many valuable lessons that I will keep with me for the rest of my life.

People who enjoy a walking campus with minimal driving within the campus would love this campus. South Dakota State University is a big enough campus to offer a variety of activities, but small enough for a homely feel. This college is perfect for someone who likes the perks of a small campus and the benefits of a large campus.

I was never the most popular kid in high school. I attended a small school, and didn't really fit in. When I went to SDSU in the Fall of 2009, I instantly found my niche. Finally I got to be around friends from rodeo and FFA! Attending classes at SDSU has helped me fruther develop my passion for agriculture. Through my classes, I have learned more about Animal Agriculture and different careers that I can get with my Animal Science major. We also learn about how to advocate for agriculture and tell the world the story of food production, which is something I hope to find a career in. Several leadership opportunites have also presented themselves to me over the past two years, like becoming a State Post Secondary Agriculture Students officer. This opportunity has increased my self confidence and leadership skills, and I plan to run for National Office this February. All in all SDSU is a home away from home, and its a place where everyone can find friends, a passion and expand the skills they already possess.

I think any person could attend South Dakota State and be happy. To me and my friends that are from the middle of nowhere it's a big school, but to my friends from big cities like Minneapolis, it's a little place. There are so many clubs and majors on campus that there is a niche for everyone. Plus everyone loves the town of Brookings - it's not to big, and not to small, and has many different stores and restaurants that offer college student discounts with your student id. SDSU is the place for everyone!

The most frustrating thing about my school is that some classes are taught by professors that don't speak very good english. Now we all know that this is part of the college experience, but it's hard enough to understand a class like Chemistry when you have a hard time understanding the teacher. On the bright side, these teachers know that their students have a difficult time understanding them, and therefore are always willing to help out students in and out of class.

South Dakota State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.