Brookings, SD
South Dakota State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend South Dakota State University

Kara

SDSU is known for their athletics, agricultural programs and clean environment.

SDSU is known for their athletics, agricultural programs and clean environment.

As I am nearing the end of my junior year of college, I have decided to leave South Dakota State University to attend Dakota State University in Madison, SD. I chose SDSU because my older sister was in attendance there and I looked up to her. I was not really sure what I wanted to pursue as a senior in high school, so I decided that because SDSU was in-state, it would have reasonable tuition and my sister would be there for support. SDSU was the only school I applied to during my senior year. Looking back, I really wish I would have looked into other schools and their programs. Honestly, I did not do much research about what SDSU actually had to offer, other than a nice campus. If I could tell myself one piece of helpful information, it would be to not choose a school because of family or friends. It is important to make sure the school offers programs of interest if you are unsure of your major so you do not waste your time and money on something that is not beneficial to your future.

A person that is very narrow minded should not attend this school.

Jonathan

They have good intentions but most are stubborn.

They have good intentions but most are stubborn.

The most vital piece of advice that I would give myself, assuming I could go back in time, is to not allow the daily frustrations of image-based issues and other people's stubborn views allow yourself to become frustrated with your own situation. I would also emphasize to spend less time complaining about things, and more time building something that you know you can gain fulfillment out of upon completion.

kessa

A place that academically prepared me for the greatest profession on earth, nursing.

A family that supported eachother through some of the most challenging times of our lives.

If I could go back in time & talk to myself when I was in high school, I would have a few things to say… First, live with intention. Choose your school with purpose, not just one that is closest to home. What is the school’s mission & values? How is it going to prepare you for life, not just for the tests? Second, if you start college & don’t have a major tell yourself this, “It’s okay!”. The first year of college is full of basic courses required by almost any major; you don’t have to commit to a major on your first day. If you do, it will probably change anyway, if it does, awesome! College is about more than just classes, it’s about planning for your life. Third, once you do choose a major, choose without regret! Be fully committed & passionate about the study you plan to pursuit. Never do anything halfway, if you are going to do it be the best at it, whether it’s being an English teacher or an astronaut. Forth, relish every second. Don’t waste time worrying about the future, before you know it, college will be a memory.

Chase

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to save more money for college. All of the little things that are needed for school tend to add up quickly and it would be nice to have some extra money lying around. I would also tell myself to become more involved in campus activities earlier on. Activities such as joining clubs, attending plays, miscellaneous activities around campus, or even looking into joining a fraternity are all things that I would tell myself if I would be able to go back in time. I'd also remind myself that college life isn't like what is portrayed in movies, and just all parties. There's a lot of studying to do, and a lot of time management that is needed. Getting priorities straight is very important, and sometimes difficult to do when trying to maintain a social life as well as doing well in clases.

I wish I had known how much time I would have to put into studying course material. In high school, I didn't have to put in as much time as I currently do at college. If I would have known this before, I would have been able to better prioritize my time before I came to college and be more prepared to stay busy with schoolwork.

Winter time is what I consider the worst thing. Our campus is generally a walk around campus, and during the winter it gets extremely cold and windy. This makes it a miserable experience to walk to each class.

Most of them are really nice, quiet and otherwise keep to themselves if they don't know anyone, while others are there to get the attendence points and not pay attention.

The advice that I would give myself, is that I would need to try harder on my test and taking the necessary steps to look for more scholarships to help my funding. Also, take the ap classes that are available at my High school, so when I go to college I would be able to take other classes that i would want to take for my major. Also, being more invovled in the community around me and learning how to take notes better and different ways to studying.

The idea of people staying up really late and being loud while I am trying to sleep, and having a 8am class the next morning. I enjoy going to classes and not skipping, but when I can't sleep I wont be able to get up the next and end up missing my classes sometimes.

Carla

The experience of a community college is not like a normal university to where you have a lot of time with students around you because of the schedules one decides. My experience at Lonestar community college was very unexpected because I learned a lot from my professors, I did not have much of a social life to distract me from my studies, I had plenty of attention from my professors for when I needed help, and my schedule with school and work was beyond the best combination. So I would have to say it was very enjoyable and the number thing that I valued from going to this college was the amount of attention the professors are willing to give to their students.

Devon

While I cannot say that an education was my biggest benifet from college, the experience was worth the time I put in. The most important thing I learned was to only take on loans if you absolutely need them and never borrow more than you can pay back. While many people say college is an investment, you have to be careful with the risk you take. Also, take more classes that you want to take, even if it isn't specific to your major. Looking back, I wish I would have taken some art classes. College is your opportunity to experience as much as possible, because once you are finished, real life takes over.

SDSU is about the right size for and undergraduate program. While there were some classes with 400 students, others only had 15-20. It was nice in the smaller classes to get to know your professors and not be another number.

Anyone who likes to be outdoors in the winter will not enjoy SDSU. The weather is extremely cold and windy.

Asia

Before making the decision to attend the community college I am currently enrolled in, I did in fact go to a 4 year institution for a semester. I was unable to stay, do to expenses of on campus living that my grants and scholarships were unable to cover. I learned a great deal in that one semester I was there. I was on my own; I made decisions that affected my life whether it is educationally, or socially. I found out very quickly that college was not easy, and over time it would just get more difficult. I am thankful for that experience, because I can appreciate the many nights I stayed up doing homework and studying without some telling me to do so. College allows a young adult to truly experience independence and make crucial life decisions. I would not be the independent young woman I am today without attending college. I now work and attend a community college this semester, looking forward to transferring the following semester.

Kristen

My classmates at SDSU are kind, courtious, and hard working people that will go out of their way to help their peers.

My college experience so far has exposed me to different thoughts and ways of doing things. This has come not only from instructors and professors but also other students. I was raised in a rural community and although State is also in a rural area it is in another part of the state where socio-economic factors and culture differ from my home. Some of the things I have been exposed to have been of great value. Although I worked all through high school, I have a great deal more independence and have to be more disciplined than when I was at home. While this is not a 'function' of my education, it is a life lesson that will guide me the rest of my life. Finally, the most important thing I have received so far from my education is learning to develop new relationships. Many of my friends growing up have gone to other universities and so I have had to reach out to new people and form a new circle of friends. This skill is important in networking which will be valuable after I graduate.

I consider the difficulty in ordering books before classes start the worst thing about my school.

Mercedes

It is valuable for me to attend college, and further my educatin because noone in my family had a Bachelor's degree. While in college I learned that college is a lot harder than high school and you have to make yourself have time to study. i work two jobs and attend college full time, and i struggle in school a little bit because i have no time to study. So scholarships are important to me and my furhtering in college.

South Dakota State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.