Brookings, SD
South Dakota State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend South Dakota State University

Regan

"CALM DOWN!" I was so scared for college! I was sure I'd forget something or it would be too hard or I wouldn't make any friends. I would tell myself "Relax, college is SO MUCH better than high school. If you work hard, you'll do fine. People in college are way more friendly than in high school- don't fret. Just go into with a positive attitude."

The worst thing at the schoool is the grass. I know that sounds silly, but the grass needs help. The campus is also sort of messy.

Candie

I'm new to the school starting Fall semester but I do know they are very well known for their Medical degrees that they offer...

This school is very well known for their nursing program. What is unique is that I live 40 miles away from school and will never have to step foot on campus because I am taking all my class thru the University Center located in Sioux Falls, SD. I will also be able to complete my clinicals in the town I live in.

Shelby

If I could talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself three things. First of all, I would tell myself to really focus on my schoolwork. The habits that we create in high school, while they work great in high school, do not carry over well into college. Transitioning into the new workload could be so much less of a hassle if you get into positive habits now. Secondly, I would tell myself to listen to my teachers. I never realized how wise my teachers were until I was out of high school. I will find myself in a situation and remember my teacher talking exactly about this the year before. They really do know what they are talking about. Weird, eh? Last but definitely not least, I would tell myself to have a lot of fun. I worked a part-time job my junior and senior year. While it was nice to have extra spending cash, I realize that those were the last two real years of my childhood. I would tell myself to relax and enjoy the comfort of not having bills to pay. Enjoy the simplicity of high school before it’s gone.

Meggan

If I could go back in time and be a senior in high school again I would do many things over. I would have worked harder at raising my GPA. Your GPA makes all the difference when you apply to a school. The transition from high school to college can be challenging. Once in college you gain so much freedom that it can be overwhelming at times. As a student you must learn to manage your time. Investing in planner is the best thing that I've found that helps you to keep track of your schedule. Write down every little thing that you might need to keep up with because you will be amazed of all of the things that will slip away from you even when you have it wrote down right in front of you. The college pace is too fast for you to be forgetting things. There is no option for late work. An assignment is either done on time or not done at all. Lastly do NOT allow yourself to procrastinate! Procrastination will be a college students worst enemy especially through the first year of college. Stay focused and work hard for what YOU want.

Kara

SDSU is known for their athletics, agricultural programs and clean environment.

SDSU is known for their athletics, agricultural programs and clean environment.

As I am nearing the end of my junior year of college, I have decided to leave South Dakota State University to attend Dakota State University in Madison, SD. I chose SDSU because my older sister was in attendance there and I looked up to her. I was not really sure what I wanted to pursue as a senior in high school, so I decided that because SDSU was in-state, it would have reasonable tuition and my sister would be there for support. SDSU was the only school I applied to during my senior year. Looking back, I really wish I would have looked into other schools and their programs. Honestly, I did not do much research about what SDSU actually had to offer, other than a nice campus. If I could tell myself one piece of helpful information, it would be to not choose a school because of family or friends. It is important to make sure the school offers programs of interest if you are unsure of your major so you do not waste your time and money on something that is not beneficial to your future.

A person that is very narrow minded should not attend this school.

Jonathan

They have good intentions but most are stubborn.

They have good intentions but most are stubborn.

The most vital piece of advice that I would give myself, assuming I could go back in time, is to not allow the daily frustrations of image-based issues and other people's stubborn views allow yourself to become frustrated with your own situation. I would also emphasize to spend less time complaining about things, and more time building something that you know you can gain fulfillment out of upon completion.

kessa

A place that academically prepared me for the greatest profession on earth, nursing.

A family that supported eachother through some of the most challenging times of our lives.

If I could go back in time & talk to myself when I was in high school, I would have a few things to say… First, live with intention. Choose your school with purpose, not just one that is closest to home. What is the school’s mission & values? How is it going to prepare you for life, not just for the tests? Second, if you start college & don’t have a major tell yourself this, “It’s okay!”. The first year of college is full of basic courses required by almost any major; you don’t have to commit to a major on your first day. If you do, it will probably change anyway, if it does, awesome! College is about more than just classes, it’s about planning for your life. Third, once you do choose a major, choose without regret! Be fully committed & passionate about the study you plan to pursuit. Never do anything halfway, if you are going to do it be the best at it, whether it’s being an English teacher or an astronaut. Forth, relish every second. Don’t waste time worrying about the future, before you know it, college will be a memory.

Chase

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to save more money for college. All of the little things that are needed for school tend to add up quickly and it would be nice to have some extra money lying around. I would also tell myself to become more involved in campus activities earlier on. Activities such as joining clubs, attending plays, miscellaneous activities around campus, or even looking into joining a fraternity are all things that I would tell myself if I would be able to go back in time. I'd also remind myself that college life isn't like what is portrayed in movies, and just all parties. There's a lot of studying to do, and a lot of time management that is needed. Getting priorities straight is very important, and sometimes difficult to do when trying to maintain a social life as well as doing well in clases.

I wish I had known how much time I would have to put into studying course material. In high school, I didn't have to put in as much time as I currently do at college. If I would have known this before, I would have been able to better prioritize my time before I came to college and be more prepared to stay busy with schoolwork.

Winter time is what I consider the worst thing. Our campus is generally a walk around campus, and during the winter it gets extremely cold and windy. This makes it a miserable experience to walk to each class.

Most of them are really nice, quiet and otherwise keep to themselves if they don't know anyone, while others are there to get the attendence points and not pay attention.

The advice that I would give myself, is that I would need to try harder on my test and taking the necessary steps to look for more scholarships to help my funding. Also, take the ap classes that are available at my High school, so when I go to college I would be able to take other classes that i would want to take for my major. Also, being more invovled in the community around me and learning how to take notes better and different ways to studying.

The idea of people staying up really late and being loud while I am trying to sleep, and having a 8am class the next morning. I enjoy going to classes and not skipping, but when I can't sleep I wont be able to get up the next and end up missing my classes sometimes.

Carla

The experience of a community college is not like a normal university to where you have a lot of time with students around you because of the schedules one decides. My experience at Lonestar community college was very unexpected because I learned a lot from my professors, I did not have much of a social life to distract me from my studies, I had plenty of attention from my professors for when I needed help, and my schedule with school and work was beyond the best combination. So I would have to say it was very enjoyable and the number thing that I valued from going to this college was the amount of attention the professors are willing to give to their students.

South Dakota State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.