Brookings, SD
South Dakota State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend South Dakota State University

Katie

South Dakota State University prepares students for the job world by providing the perfect learning environment with state of the art equipment and passionate professors.

I have gotten many valuable things from attending South Dakota State University. First, I have learned how to deal with the large amounts of stress that come with pressure from school work and activities. Reducing stress meant letting go of things that were not important to me. Overall, it helped create a new set of personal values. Second, I have learned how to manage my time. In high school, my mom made sure everything was done. When I started college, no one guided me through the day. Instead, I had to manage my time and guide myself through the day to get things done. Finally, I have learned how to accept people for who they are. Throughout my college experience, I have worked with people from multiple backgrounds and ethnicities. I learned to see the world through their eyes and accept them for who they are. Basically, they taught me not to judge people. Overall, college has taught me many valuable lessons that I will keep with me for the rest of my life.

People who enjoy a walking campus with minimal driving within the campus would love this campus. South Dakota State University is a big enough campus to offer a variety of activities, but small enough for a homely feel. This college is perfect for someone who likes the perks of a small campus and the benefits of a large campus.

I was never the most popular kid in high school. I attended a small school, and didn't really fit in. When I went to SDSU in the Fall of 2009, I instantly found my niche. Finally I got to be around friends from rodeo and FFA! Attending classes at SDSU has helped me fruther develop my passion for agriculture. Through my classes, I have learned more about Animal Agriculture and different careers that I can get with my Animal Science major. We also learn about how to advocate for agriculture and tell the world the story of food production, which is something I hope to find a career in. Several leadership opportunites have also presented themselves to me over the past two years, like becoming a State Post Secondary Agriculture Students officer. This opportunity has increased my self confidence and leadership skills, and I plan to run for National Office this February. All in all SDSU is a home away from home, and its a place where everyone can find friends, a passion and expand the skills they already possess.

I think any person could attend South Dakota State and be happy. To me and my friends that are from the middle of nowhere it's a big school, but to my friends from big cities like Minneapolis, it's a little place. There are so many clubs and majors on campus that there is a niche for everyone. Plus everyone loves the town of Brookings - it's not to big, and not to small, and has many different stores and restaurants that offer college student discounts with your student id. SDSU is the place for everyone!

The most frustrating thing about my school is that some classes are taught by professors that don't speak very good english. Now we all know that this is part of the college experience, but it's hard enough to understand a class like Chemistry when you have a hard time understanding the teacher. On the bright side, these teachers know that their students have a difficult time understanding them, and therefore are always willing to help out students in and out of class.

I have gotten alot out of my college experience so far. I have learned that I have to step out and to not be shy around my friends and professors. By me stepping out and talking to people I have learned to not be shy and to ask for help when needed. I have had fun learning more than I did in high school which will help me get further in getting my degree for becoming a nurse.

Connie

Most of my classmates are teens who do not know what they really want out of life. I feel this way because at 18, who really knows what they want out of life. If it was up to me, every 18 year old should wait one year before going to school or serve in the military before attending school. This way they will have a little life experiance. I feelthis would bring up the maturaity level in schools, and would also raise the academic achievement levels.

The number oen thing that I have gotten out of school thus far, is the expantion of knowledge. I have not made any real friends, I mostly keep to myself. When around the community , I recognize the teachers, not other students. I am sure that I could try harder to meet new people, but when your interests are so different from others, it makes it harder. I hate the fact that students are checking email, texting, facebooking all while in class. I hate it. If it was up to me, no phones would be allowed on in classrooms. I do like the work and the classroom atmosphere. My academic advisor is really great and very helpful. I feel that I have found my purpose. When I decided i needed to go to collge was when my husband left me and my daughter. I needed to get a degree so that I could support us. I was undecided going in, but after taking a Lifespan class, my freshmen year, I knew what I wanted, and everyday when I leave my children behind I know that it is to better our lives. I would never leave them for anything else!

The number one thing I feel is the worst thing about my school is the fact that I feel out of place because I am a non traditional student. I donot get the chance to friend my fellow students because while they go back to dorms, I go home and feed my children. I also do not relate to many of the "traditional" students because they are mostly texting and or facebooking during class. I am there to learn, so I can get a job, so I can help feed my family!

Molly

SDSU is a very friendly, welcoming institution that encourages learning and acedemic achievement while still providing opportunities for students to meet new people and be involved in non-acedemic activities, all while developing a sense of who you are and what you want to do in your future career.

Students at SDSU are very accepting and willing to meet new people, always ready to get involved and to help out fellow students with homework and personal issues, and will be friends for life.

While attending SDSU, the values of hard work and determination have definately been reinforced in everyday life. I have been challenged to do my best and succeed. I have had some tough classes but, with the help of my professors and acedemic advisor, and encouragement from family and friends, I have always found a way to make it through those obstacles. I know that the things I am learning now will stick with me for life and help me later on when I am completely out in the real world. Attending college at an institution like this has opened many doors for me and I know that when I leave here I will be ready to face whatever issues may come up. I have have met amazing people and learned many things that have helped mold me into the person I am now. It has been an great experience that I am very thankful to have and look forward to continuing it for the rest of my college career. I encourage everyone to continue on to college so that they can be exposed to all the wonderful things it has to offer and to make a difference in their lives.

Donald

They are a diverse group from different ages, race, and backgrounds.

They are a diverse group from different ages, race, and backgrounds.

I don't know, for me the school has always been there.

I have gotten to meet many different people, and it has given me a chance to rediscover what I have previously learned during high school and vocational school that I may have forgotten from lack of use.

Catherine

South Dakota State University is dedicated to helping students become successful now and in their future career, and offers small class sizes and a faculty that want the students to do well.

My classmates are dedicated people that are in college to learn and to make something of themselves once they leave college.

So far in my college experience I have done many things that a typical sophomore may not be able to do. I have been academically committed and stayed focused on school, while being very involved on campus. I am a member of Alpha Lambda Delta, an Honors Society on campus, and I regularly get involved in activities pertaining to it. Sometimes these are hard to keep balanced, but I have done very well so far. While keeping my GPA up I have been and Orientation Leader and a Community Assistant on campus. Being an Orientation leader has built my pubic speaking skills and I have made friends with many of my fellow Orientation Leaders. Being a Community Assistant has definitely helped me in developing my skills as a member of a team as well as teaching me time management skills.

Kimberly

My school gives me an excellent education while keeping the midwestern work ethic and friendliness.

Our school is an agriculturally based school, but is also known for our engineering, nursing, and pharmacy programs.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I wouldn't really say too much different. As a senior I was really looking forward to getting away from home and meeting new people in a new place. I would tell myself to do more of that when I actually got to the school. When you play a sport, it is really easy to settle in with your teammates and not make many "non-athlete" friends. I would tell myself to make friends in classes that weren't in a sport. One thing I would like to tell myself would be to keep connections with friends back home. It will make it more enjoyeable over breaks to come home. I would also advise myself to never underestimate a good diet and sleep! I would also promise myself that its possible and more rewarding to find friends that have the same outlook on school as you and who don't emphasize alcohol in their lives. It will be easier to achieve your dream when you are not catching up on sleep and getting rid of a hangover on the weekends!

Camille

My classmates here are very supportive, nice, and very well rounded.

My classmates here are very supportive, nice, and very well rounded.

Knowing what I know now, going to a school out of state is the way to go. I have been home on Christmas Break and realized that the people who stayed in-state for school haven't grown up as much as I have. Being alone forces you to take responsability for yourself. In the beginning it is hard, but i believe that if you can get through the first month, college can be a great experience. School is hard, but it isn't impossible. Having the strength to be able to do the work on your own is so rewarding. It is an amazing experience and i wouldn't change it for the world. Good Luck

I wish I had known how hard metally school was going to be, but its well worth the frustration.

Kristofer

I would advise myself as a college student now to crack down on the books and learn better study habits. It would have been a good idea to have a harder senior year and taken the AP calculus class offered in high school. Instead of taking it slower my last year of high school I should of been preparing me more for college life as it is a big transition. There are no worksheets or other ways to earn points it is almost strictly exams only in college. I should have learned how to take tests and quizzes better to increase my performance in college.

I brag to my friends not attending the school that there are some pretty cool and interesting classes at the school that aren't offered in any other schools in the state such as architecture which is a new program starting next fall

The most frustrating thing about my school is trying to find parking. Every year more parking lots are replaced with buildings making it nearly impossible to get a spot anywhere close to your classes. And when you do find a spot you could find yourself walking 5 blocks to get to your class. The bigger lots also close at 12:30 p.m. on game days for athletic events making parking in other lots impossible. The signs stating the days are put up later so if you park in the morning you will find yourself with a ticket later.

South Dakota State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.