Brownsville, TX
Texas Southmost College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas Southmost College

Areli

This school is very diverse and you get to meet people from all over the country. There is plenty of programs to chose from and it is a beautiful campus.

If I could go back to my high school year I would tell myself to take any opprtunity given to me. To take advantage of what a school has to offer. I would tell myself not to be afraid of change or different. Experiencing things out of my comfort zone or out of the norm is sometimes good. I would advice myself to push forward no matter what, to stay focused and to always remind myself that the most important things in life are God,family, and school.

Rebecca

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to fight for what I wanted, rather than settle with community college. Many events shook my senior year. In mid August, my school burned down, significantly hindering any academic advisement I may have received. Also in August, my grandfather was diagnosed with lung cancer that would ultimately take his life in June of 2013. This is pertinent as any funds, outside of scholarships and student loans, would be contributed by my grandparents, and I was unwilling to hassle my grandmother about money as her lifelong friend and partner slowly withered away. I regret allowing myself to cave into the nay sayers, ignoring the few who supported my aspirations beyond two years at the local community college. I should have believed in myself and my abilities.

John

I would tell myself to take everything serious. I didn't know it at the time, but I could've had to many opportunities to be a better musicican. I'm currently pursuing a degree in Music Education and while I struggle just a bit every now and then, I know I could've done alot more in high school to prepare myself for college. I would've also told myself to develop study habits. It is really hard to study when you are exhausted and I could've also made it easier on myself to develop good study habits. Also the last thing I would've told myself to do is to be social and talk to people. Friends are there for you and to help you along the way incase you fall down. I was shy and nervous when I went to my first day in the University, I don't know if I could've changed that, but it Would've helped if I knew some of the people from the classes before hand.

The only fustrating thing about the school at the moment for me is that since they had the split with TSC and are merging with Pan Am, there is kind of a mess with classes and locating offices like the Advising and any other important office. I'm pretty sure this will clear up very soon though.

I would mainly brag about the University's Music Department. It is so amazing and to hear the different ensembles like the UTB Symphony Orchestra, or the Chamber Ensembles or even faculty ensembles, they are all equally amazing. These fellow students practice and it pays off when it comes to the actual day of the concert. Everyone is so friendly as well in the music department. The Professors are understanding and the students help out when needed.

vanessa

If only they'd invent time-machines already. I would go back to August of 2009 and sit my disobedient / know-it-all butt down. Give myself the longest lecture my ears would probably fall off. “it is not about having the most friends, or who goes out the most, or who has the best shoes.” Gosh, kids could really be ignorant. I would go back in time and tell myself to focus on school and not to worry to much on the 'she said he said' because honestly you don't speak to about half of those 'friends' after high school anyways. life would be so different for me.

Gabriela

The advice that I will give myself will be to always meet with the professors after class if something was not clear enough and never to be afraid of asking because that is why there are there. To assist you in every way they can. Try to go to tutoring on my free time and look for any additional resources that is helpful for my classes. Because now that I'm a senior in college I look back and ask myself why I didn't take advantage of so many resources but at the same time each one of them I somewhat discorvered them on my own and if not they arrived late.

The best thing about my school, is that I'm close to my family and it has a very nice community around. It is very easy to get to places since they also provides a specific metro bus to get students around where they need to.

The people that shouldn't attend here are the people who are into sports. Since UT Brownsville doesn't offer that many sports especially football, we don't really carry out our school spirit.

Rolando

My school is mainly known for having the best volleyball team in the nation. It is also known for some of the most remarkable students and staff that attend and have graduated from The University of Texas at Brownsville. It is a place known for their caring students and staff that do not allow students to feel stressed out about school and extend a helping hand.

The biggest advice I would give myself would be that college should not be taken softly, that every decision, no matter how unimportant it seems then, will have a huge effect in the future. Furthermore, that no matter what happens it the outside world school and personal problems and griefs shouldn't be taken to school. I would also advice myself that things happens in one's life that can ultimately jeperdize one's education, but not to let those events change you, instead, grab those events and use them as a means of motivation as to why you want to obtain a higher education. The last advice I would give myself would have to be that we are all humans and we all make mistakes but its how we deal with the consequences that shows our true character and that moral stature outweighs any type of material gain and one should always remain true to who we are as a person.

I wish I would have known all the clubs and extracurricular activities that the University provided to its students.

horace

i would maximize my studies to the fullest, because leaving out a few formulas here and there for math had a huge impact on what i left out when i attendedcollege. i would have applied myself more and more each time. its something i learned and could honestly tell future college students.

that the work was going to be very demanding. and there was not going to be enough hours in the day to complete the homework.

tuition is very expensive. even though qulifying for financial aid i still have to pay money out of my pocket, although the school is very succesful and im happy with it.

Alexandria

Assuming I could go back in time, and talk to myself as high school senior about college life as well as making the transition, I would have just one simple piece of advice: to loosen up, and to not be so scared for the next chapter of my life. Because this life, college life, is different from high school. Everything is exciting, new, and completely different. I would tell myself as a high school senior that while it is okay to be a little scared, to look at college as a new opportunity. That I will meet some amazing and incredible people, who not only care deeply about your success in the future, but about me as well. That I will learn so much in such a short amount of time, but I will also have so much fun doing it. That these experiences will last a lifetime. In short to not be scared, but excited, because I am finally beginning my life.

Adriana

"Cada cabeza es un mundo."- Spanish for, "Each mind is a world on its own."

"Cada cabeza es un mundo."- Spanish for, "Each mind is a world on its own."

The party isn't going anywhere- it's always there! Dedicate time to your studies, and don't pass up school to go out and party. There will be plenty of chances to go out and make bad choices- like during the summer! LOL... Seriously though, with the way things are (or will be) an education is necessary. You don't want to have children with a high school education- it will get you nowhere, and if it does, you have a long struggle ahead of you! Don't forget scholarships- go get them! Loans may seem like a smooth ride, but guess what, you have to pay for them later on even if you don't finish school! They're as devilish as credit cards...live within your means! Dedication, planning, and perseverance- that'll get you through college. In the end, you will enjoy it and see your hard work paid off :)

I wish I would have known how loans work and how to get free money; not being able to make up your mind about 'what you want to be when you grow up', only adds to the loan debt and the decreasing usage of your lifetime pell grant. Things are way different now that why I started school in 2001, and I can honestly say students were a lot more careless back then than they are now- I was one of them! Existing funding cuts are in place for that purpose- to be used wisely! Don'd waste time, finish!

Veronica

very friendly, great community, and always striving for the best in all the students.

the advice i would give myself if i could go back in time, it would be to choose a school like UTB to attend rigth after high school. this school is great with teachers that are willing to work with the students no matter how difficult things might get, the teachers are there to help everyone. There are small class rooms , the students are very friendly an the campus is easy to get around on.

some one that is driven to success willing to go beyond the school work, wanting to make new friends, to study with others. This school is great especaily if you are looking for small class rooms and where the teacher works with each and every student individualy.

Texas Southmost College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.