Brownsville, TX
Texas Southmost College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas Southmost College

horace

i would maximize my studies to the fullest, because leaving out a few formulas here and there for math had a huge impact on what i left out when i attendedcollege. i would have applied myself more and more each time. its something i learned and could honestly tell future college students.

that the work was going to be very demanding. and there was not going to be enough hours in the day to complete the homework.

tuition is very expensive. even though qulifying for financial aid i still have to pay money out of my pocket, although the school is very succesful and im happy with it.

Alexandria

Assuming I could go back in time, and talk to myself as high school senior about college life as well as making the transition, I would have just one simple piece of advice: to loosen up, and to not be so scared for the next chapter of my life. Because this life, college life, is different from high school. Everything is exciting, new, and completely different. I would tell myself as a high school senior that while it is okay to be a little scared, to look at college as a new opportunity. That I will meet some amazing and incredible people, who not only care deeply about your success in the future, but about me as well. That I will learn so much in such a short amount of time, but I will also have so much fun doing it. That these experiences will last a lifetime. In short to not be scared, but excited, because I am finally beginning my life.

Adriana

"Cada cabeza es un mundo."- Spanish for, "Each mind is a world on its own."

"Cada cabeza es un mundo."- Spanish for, "Each mind is a world on its own."

The party isn't going anywhere- it's always there! Dedicate time to your studies, and don't pass up school to go out and party. There will be plenty of chances to go out and make bad choices- like during the summer! LOL... Seriously though, with the way things are (or will be) an education is necessary. You don't want to have children with a high school education- it will get you nowhere, and if it does, you have a long struggle ahead of you! Don't forget scholarships- go get them! Loans may seem like a smooth ride, but guess what, you have to pay for them later on even if you don't finish school! They're as devilish as credit cards...live within your means! Dedication, planning, and perseverance- that'll get you through college. In the end, you will enjoy it and see your hard work paid off :)

I wish I would have known how loans work and how to get free money; not being able to make up your mind about 'what you want to be when you grow up', only adds to the loan debt and the decreasing usage of your lifetime pell grant. Things are way different now that why I started school in 2001, and I can honestly say students were a lot more careless back then than they are now- I was one of them! Existing funding cuts are in place for that purpose- to be used wisely! Don'd waste time, finish!

Veronica

very friendly, great community, and always striving for the best in all the students.

the advice i would give myself if i could go back in time, it would be to choose a school like UTB to attend rigth after high school. this school is great with teachers that are willing to work with the students no matter how difficult things might get, the teachers are there to help everyone. There are small class rooms , the students are very friendly an the campus is easy to get around on.

some one that is driven to success willing to go beyond the school work, wanting to make new friends, to study with others. This school is great especaily if you are looking for small class rooms and where the teacher works with each and every student individualy.

Alan

Do not skip classes, be on time and do not procrastinate.

About all UTB students spirit. We are a university with a majority of hispanic students.

Miguel

Meeting my former self, I would tell him to do better during your last year of high school, and really study and prepare for tests, quizes and finals, later on in the year I would learn that I did not achieve much in my last year of high school, and I do regret my past decisions to avoid studying and slack off. I would urge myself to look into scholarships, grants, and more summer classes to get a better head start for college and tell myself to not be nervous about meeting new people, to be open, and listen to your parents more often. With all this advice, and me actually listening to it and using it for my benefit, I know my future would have changed dramatically, and I might be better off then I'am now. However I can't let past regret allow myself to continue to discourage me, you just have to pick yourself up and keep going.

I tell my friends about how UTB is a well-respected and of a higher esteem then any of the other schools here in Brownsville. That it has a huge amount of classes to choose from, and a wonderful staff and is the best way to take care of my education for my future.

I wish I had a better idea of what major I want to strive for and live with the rest of my life. That way I wouldn't be as afraid of choosing a career I might regret in the future. Although UTB has a great system of classes that is flexible with any major, and they provide many different types of advisors.

Emmanuel

They come off as intimidating at first glance, but once you begin to know them they're the kindest, helpful, and intelligent group of people you could ever meet.

I would tell my past self that I need to read more for pleasure. I would also like to tell myself to relax and not be so uptight about attending college. My university is full of wonderful people that help each other succeed. Nobody picks on you anymore for reading during lunch break. There are little to no bullies at the University of Texas at Brownsville so I will not have to worry about skipping classes at times. Your professors are wonderful so don't be intimidated, they love students that love to learn. They also have a gym that you can go to as long as you have your school ID to avoid the dreaded freshmen 15. Don’t forget to improve your math skills because they're going to be much more important throughout your college years. And lastly I'd tell myself to keep my head up start my college years with a smile.

People who don't have a positive attitude and read for pleasure should not attend my university. My English professor taught our class this lesson when I was a freshman at my university when he made us read "An Open Letter to Ninth Graders". Patrick Sullivan makes good points on what it means to be college ready. If you don’t have grit and attitude with critical thinking skills should not think about making it in college.

Roberto

I would begin by warning myself about time management and how critical it is to master this skill to set a strong foundation for a successful academic career. Next, never procrastinate, but learn to be proactive. Never be scared to ask a question because the only dumb question is the question you don’t ask. Get involved with organizations because you meet new people, learn new things and give back the community. Always introduced yourself to your professors because it is a professional way to begin to network. Always be on time to class, put yourself in their shoes and how you would feel if someone interrupts you in the middle of your lecture. Steer clear from the wrong crowd. Visit with the academic advisor and ask what best fits your career plan. Never buy a new book from Barns N’ Noble. Always order books at least with two months of anticipation online, suggestions Amazon or Half.com. Go prepared to the first class day with printed syllabus, text-book, and at least cover first chapter. Prepare for mid-terms and finals since the first day of class and remember to have fun.

I feel society pressures our youth to get ahead and strive for academics at a swift pace. I have nothing against this as I see it fit to raise my own this way when the time comes. However, some students get to an institution of higher learning and are unaware of the new learning tactics and culture. It's a new world from the transition of high school to college and not everyone transitions together. This creates a gap and may cause errors and omissions in the transitional process of academia for the sense of higher education.

I believe a mature and responsbile young adult should attend any institution of higher learning in order to enrich their life with knowledge. Anyone seeking answers, a challenge, or who deliberatley wants to purse a specific career should attend this institution. Greatness can only be acheived with disciplined, dedication, and dexterity. If you are ready for a new stage in your life and ready to drink from the fountain of knowledge then, welcome.

rafael

The advice that I will give myself If I could go back in time will be to study harder and have more fun. During my senior year I had four AP courses and two Advance courses. I had a stuff senior year because I was working and I was studying a lot in order to earn a good GPA and a good rank. I am proud to annonce that I had a unwaited GPA of 3.49 and I graduated with honors. The only thing I would really change is to have more fun during my senior year of high school.

The most frustrating thing about The University of Texas at Brownsville is that they take for ever to award the finacial aid packages. This is very frudtruaring because every student has the right to know their status of aid before june, so they can make a wise choice.

I think people that actually doesn't want to learn should not attend this school. I believe school should only be for people that actually are passion it to learnd.

Anna

I would have told myself straight up to take college courses during my summer vacations. There was only one class that offered a selected few to take college courses and it was more of like a "secret application". Many of my friends wish that they would have let evertbody know that you could take college courses to earn during your high school years. If I had been able to take even one college level course during my summers I would have definitely been a bit ahead in my college education. Now I feel like I could have eliminated wasteful time with my basics and already starting my core classes. I would have told myself to have the courage to have asked the counslers or teachers to let everybody have information to taking college courses in high school. I would have been to intimidated to ask them since they probably would dismiss me but I would have given myself a huge kick in the rear back as a high school senior.

I really enjoy my professors. Although many people think that since we aren't a big school as Texas A&M or UT Austin that Brownsville is lacking in providing a qualitly education. The professors I have from my field of study elaborate so well on their study I feel like I am at a huge university but with a smaller teacher student ratio

The only thing I think is the worst is that the school recently enforced a no smoking on campus policy but students continue to smoke where there are a lot of signs displayed to prohibit it.

Texas Southmost College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.