Wooster, OH
The College of Wooster

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The College of Wooster

Morgan

My classmates are the most widely accepting and welcoming people I have ever met.

The main advice I would give myself is ITS OKAY TO NOT KNOW! College is a time of learning who you are as a person in society. It is okay to change majors and explore new opportunities. It is okay to not know what you want to major in straight out of high school. It is okay to be unsure about what direction you want to take. It is all okay. College is about finding out who you really are. It is about learning how to truly develop well-rounded skills to use in all aspects of your life. So many high school seniors worry about their future; I certainly know I did. If I could tell myself anything that resonates more clearly now as a young professional than it ever did before, it is that everything will be okay. I promise.

One who wants to explore the reaches of the earth in a variety of fun, unique, and interesting classes and evolve into a well-rounded young adult with wonderful critical thinking skills. A student at Wooster wants to learn about not just their own area of interest, but about so many other world-wide interests they may not have an opportunity to do elsewhere. This person wants to take a fun new opportunity and go with it!

FIRST NAMEe

THIS SCHOOL IS AWESOME AND THE FACULTY AND STAFF HERE REALLY CARE ABOUT YOUR INDIVIDUAL SUCCESS, GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT AS A STUDENT DURING YOUR TIME HERE!!

VERY RIGORIOUS BUT SOLID IN ITS FOUNDATIONS AND HELPS YOU BUILD IN YOUR CHOSEN FIELD OF STUDY! WHEN I SAY ITS HARD TO GET AN A IN MOST OF THE CLASSES, BELIEVE ME. I WAS IN THE TOP 10 % OF MY HIGH SCHOOL CLASS AND WHEN YOU GET HERE, YOUR WITH STUDENTS WHO HAVE COMPLETED THE SAME.

Olivia

At the beginning of my first semester, I arrived on campus early to participate in the girls varsity soccer team preseason. During the summer we were expected to workout and follow a program that was supposed to get us into shape for the soccer season. However, I did not take this packet of information seriously. Insead of legitimately executing each of the activities, I did them to the best of my ability. I made it all the way through preseason, but I was not getting the results I wanted. The coach explained to me that I would not receive playing time till I was up to par on my skills. School work became hard to complete as well, so I quit the team to better pursue academics. If I could go back to my high school self, I would explain the hard work it takes to participate in a college level sport. Instead of worrying about my summer with my friends, I would try to explain how hard it is to not play soccer anymore because I was not taking my work outs seriously. I regret not being dedicated enough to a sport I love.

Upon first entering the campus for freshman orientation, I met a lot of wonderful and friendly first-years. Everyone seemed so eager to get along and cooperate. I quickly found out that everyone on campus, including the upperclassmen, were incredibly welcoming as well. It's because The College of Wooster goes out of their way to find people who are diverse and accepting. Excluding others is something that's frowned upon in this community. Someone who cannot accept different races, cultures, religions, or ideology should not attend the College of Wooster.

When classes let out just ten minutes before noon, it is always a mad dash to the dining halls. While I prefer one dining hall over the other, it is completely frustrating waiting in line just to get a place to eat. Not to mention that everyone loves the same dining hall I do, so finding a seat is always a complete hassel. The College is great, I can't complain. However, when lunch rolls around on the week days, it's extremely frustrating trying to get in line to get in the hall, find a table, and get food.

Kyra

Don't worry about fitting in with people on campus and making friends, because it will happen no matter what. Have friends, but don't get too caught up in the social aspect of your education. You are going to college to learn. Listen hard in class, and study hard on your own. Just because something is available to you doesn't mean you have to participate in it, so don't spread yourself too thin. DO get involved in something positive and productive, however. Its going to seem difficult, but you are more than capable of achieving everyting you set out to achieve. You wouldn't have been accepted if you didn't belong there.

I wish I would have known the challenges I was going to face in my personal life that would effect my college career. After realizing an exstensive history of abuse and being diagnosed with depression, psychosis, and post-traumatic stress disorder, I had to take medical leave to get myself back on track. If I could go back in time I would wafrn myself of what I was going to discover so that I could plan better ways to handle it when it finally arrived.

Alex

All of my professors, past and present, know more than just my name… they know what activities I’m involved in and genuinely care about how I’m doing. It’s not uncommon to call your professor at home for homework help or to go to their house for dinner. The student and faculty relationships at Wooster are fostered in the small class sizes, where individualized attention is given to each and every student. It's my favorite part about the college! If I could change one thing about Wooster, it would be the long winter we have here, just south and west of Cleveland, OH. It gets to be very cold, and we always have snow in the winter months. You become accustomed to it though - after all, we wouldn't be able to attempt to fill The Arch every winter without all the snow! Wooster is the ideal size for a student who enjoys seeing new faces everyday, but is also likely to see at least five familiar ones on the way to class. At about 2,000 students, Wooster is just big enough that you don't have to feel "trapped", yet small enough that you will know or at least recognize at least one other person in every one of your classes. Back home in the MD/DC area, when I tell people I go to Wooster, I get one of three reactions. 1) "Wow, I know someone who goes there! It's kind of a small school... but he/she loves it there." 2) "Wait, is that the college in Massachusetts?" 3) "Huh, I've never heard of that." I guarantee that anyone who has read "40 Colleges that Change Lives" or has a relative or friend that attended Wooster will know about the college. I like to think we're a well-kept secret. Wooster is a small town in Ohio, but only an hour away from Cleveland and 40-45 minutes away from Akron. So if you want to go to a large shopping mall, professional sporting event, or concert venue, it isn't too far away. The Wooster Activities Crew (WAC) provides ample opportunities to get off campus to go on a ski trip, to go to Cedar Point, or even to see a Cavaliers/Indians game. The town of Wooster itself is really great for exploring the plethora of mom-and-pop shops. In the North End (away from downtown), you've got more commercialized options including Chipotle, Panera, Kohl's, Best Buy, and of course Walmart. I have been extremely impressed with the administration at Wooster. Everything seems to run pretty smoothly, and they ask for student input on practically everything that affects us. There are also many opportunities to interact with the deans and members of the administration by being a part of student/faculty committees, Campus Council, and Student Government. For a Division III school, Wooster's got a ton of school spirit! We always get a great turnout for sporting events as well as theater performances and dance concerts. Because it is a small school, it isn't unlikely that the starting quarterback or female lead in the play will be in your class. Overall, I've got nothing but great things to say about Wooster. If it's on your list of schools you're applying to, I'd highly encourage you to take the time to come and visit campus. Seeing the students and observing a class here made my decision to come here a no-brainer.

There is no typical Wooster student. The diversity among students is wide-ranging racially and socio-economically. There is a significant international student population, and the LGBT community has a large presence on campus. Generally, the student population leans to the left politically and is pretty liberal, but even here there is a great deal of diversity. Every student finds their niche. Most Wooster students hail from OH, PA, MI, IN, and MD. There is also a large number of students that come from CA, MA, and GA. Currently, 45 states and 26 countries are represented on campus. The average student wears jeans and a t-shirt/sweatshirt to class, although this varies greatly depending on the time of year and each student's individuality. When we have nice weather at the beginning and end of the school year, generally girls will wear dresses and skirts, and guys will wear athletic or cargo shorts. In the winter, the cold weather forces people to wear lots of heavy winter layers. The weather changes on a dime, so it's always a good idea to be prepared with an umbrella. If I had to pick a few words to describe the student body as a whole, they would be friendly, down-to-earth, and genuine. Because students are so involved on campus outside of the classroom, you'll find that students rarely form cliques because there is such an overlap between friend groups. For example, the lunch room will be filled with mix-and-match tables, maybe with some members of a sports team, student group, and sorority will be sitting together. Groups are not exclusive.

The academics at Wooster are top-notch. Classes are challenging, and your professors push you to perform at your best. As I mentioned before, all of my professors know my name and generally make an effort to get to know me outside of the classroom in their office hours. Class participation is not only common, but practically required. With classes capped at a maximum of 30 students, you need to be prepared for class (having done the readings, problem sets, etc.) and expect the professor to call on you to answer a question or give your opinion at least once. Wooster students are generally intelligent and very politically aware, which makes for intellectual conversations inside and outside of the classroom. Students are not competitive with each other, rather it is more common to see students working together in study groups. Professors assign group projects to encourage students to work together - many feel that you will learn just as much from exploring the material with your peers as you will listening to their lectures. As a liberal arts college, Wooster requires you to take a wide-range of classes in addition to the courses within your major including a 2 semester equivalent of a foreign language, a cultural perspective course, and a religion course just to name a few. We also have "learning across the disciplines" course requirements, which allow students the opportunity to take 2 courses in each of the following subject areas: arts & humanities, history & social sciences, math & natural sciences. I have really enjoyed taking these classes outside of my major, and because there are so many courses to choose from, you can select a topic that you are interested in. As a Biochemistry & Molecular Biology (BMB) major, I have taken at least 2 classes in the biology, chemistry, mathematics, and physics departments. I have been extremely impressed with the quality of instruction in the classroom and in the lab. The professors have not just taught me the material, they have taught me how to think though problems and related the material to real-world applications. I've had the opportunity to expand on my experiences in the lab through Sophomore Research, a program that allows students to work one-on-one with a professor on an aspect of their own research and get paid to do so. The science departments at Wooster set you up to be a strong medical school or graduate school applicant, as well as providing students the opportunity to be employed immediately after graduation. Wooster students abide be the phrase "work hard, play hard" - during the week, students are 100% focused on their academics (with the occasional diversion for Woo Wednesdays).

There are over 100 student groups/clubs on campus you can get involved in. There are so many options and opportunities that students rarely find themselves bored. More often, students find themselves over-involved and extremely active in campus life. Greek life is one way to get involved, but it is by no means the only way. Greek groups at Wooster are very different from those at other colleges, as all of them are locally founded social groups when the national sororities and fraternities were disbanded in the early 1900s. Some are as old as 1914, and others as recent as the 1992. The Greeks on campus do a lot of volunteer service in Wooster and, for me, it continues to be a great way to give back to the community. Each group has a house on campus, but they are scattered among other program houses (there is no "greek row"). When Greek groups throw parties, they always open up to the entire campus. Only 10% of campus is part of Greek life. There is always a lot to do on the weekends, whether or not you want to participate in the party scene. Late night activities crew organizes craft nights, movie nights, etc. and Common Grounds is a student-run coffee shop that has karaoke nights and Wii Wednesdays, as an alternative to Woo Wednesdays (the one night during the school week you will find students partying). We have an on-campus bar and club called The Underground where students can go on Friday nights for a DJed dance party or on Saturday night for COVERS, where you can see your friends' bands perform live. No matter what day of the week you find yourself up late, Mom's is open until 3am to serve up diner foods like burgers, fries, egg-and-cheese bagels, and milkshakes.

Nicholas

Wooster is very comfortable. Most everyone is very kind, and it is difficult to feel like an outsider. Everyone that works on campus, from professors to security guards, works hard to give students a place that they can accomplish their best work and enjoy it at the same time.

Wooster is the most accepting diverse community I have ever seen. Many different religious groups, political views, and economic backgrounds mix, and I personally have never seen conflict because of any of these things. Students are generally accepting and open to different ideas and opinions.

I've loved it here, but it is really up to the student to choose if they are going to enjoy their college experience. I'm willing to create my own fun at times when there isn't stuff to do, but I'm okay with that. There are lots of awesome people here!

Not so much. There are absolutely kids from upper class families that attend Wooster, but there are many students here on very generous scholarships that could not afford a Wooster education without them.

Professors are amazing. Not only are they super intelligent, but they have genuine interest in their students lives and well being. This has easily been what I have enjoyed most about Wooster. Hardly a day goes by when I don't have a meeting with a professor to talk about class topics or even just to get to know them personally a little better.

Sports events are generally well attended. We don't have the greatest facilities for all our sports, but that is going to change next year with our new rec center. School spirit is really good, and students show great support for their friends and teammates. Weekends are your choice. There are plenty of parties to attend, but many students choose not too. Not being into the party scene myself, I either just hang out with some friends or head to the north end to the movie theater or something.

Wooster is a very expensive small school, so it is often believed that the students who attend are pretentious and rich snobs who can afford a very expensive and exclusive education.

Blake

My favorite thing about Wooster and really the reason why I chose it over other schools, was the community feel here that I didn't find in other colleges I visited. With a population of 2,000 students, Wooster really feels like a tight-knit community. I love being able to walk to our cafeteria and know most of the people I run into while I still get the chance to meet new people everyday.

Wooster's student body is incredibly diverse. There definitely is no way to be able to describe every kind of student. We are actually 17% multi-cultural which includes our 9% of international students coming from 39 different countries. You can definitely find every type of student here. Not only do we come from different cultural backgrounds but we also come from different socio-economic backgrounds as well. One thing that you'll find among our students as well is a drive to get politically involved. The majority of our students are fairly liberal but we have students coming from every political affiliation.

I'm not sure that eccentric is the right word to describe us. I would definitely say we have a diverse campus of students from different cultures, backgrounds, and even socio-economic classes. Some students may fit under the umbrella term of "eccentric" but we also have students of all kinds.

One of the things about Wooster that sets it apart from larger schools is that professors make themselves extremely accessible to students and really want us to succeed. I know that if I ever have any questions and need more details I can always head to a professor's office after class and ask or shoot them an e-mail about something. They are always very quick to respond and generally very close to their students. Every professor I've ever had at Wooster has alway made a huge effort to learn every student's name and a few things about them within the first week, which definitely isn't too hard because most of our classes average at about 18 students. Students and professors are generally very close; actually at the end of the semester my First-Year Seminar professor invited my entire class to his house for dinner, which is definitely common at Wooster.

It's very rare to find a Wooster student who is not involved on campus whether it's in student organizations, athletics, volunteer work, or Greek life. At Wooster we have over 120 student groups and organizations that usually keep most of our students busy during the school year. One of them, Wooster Activities Crew, is always planning different events for students each week, whether it's a comedian, a concert, or a movie viewing. The Wooster Volunteer Network is another large student organization that plans volunteering projects both on and off campus for students to get involved in. One thing about our student body is that not only do students get involved but they usually get involved in a number of activities. So many groups of friends overlap because of different activities they are involved in that it's really hard to distinguish different groups of students. Although Greek life is definitely part of student life, making up 10% of the student body, both Greeks and non-Greek students work extremely well together. In general, there's never a gap between different student groups.

The only stereotype I've heard is that we have an eccentric student body.

Wooster is a close knit community. It is a school were students, faculty, staff, and the local community all interact and all know each other. The faculty know each of their students personally. They know each students name, strengths, and weaknesses allowing them to push every student to their true potential!

Wooster's student body is very diverse in its physical and ideological make-up. Wooster has students from over 39 countries at the college and less than 40% of students are from the state of Ohio. Also, Wooster is a very open environment that provides the opportunity for all students to express their viewpoints. There are clubs for democrats, republicans and everything in between. Although the college is not religiously affiliated there are also all types of different student religious groups which represent many different ideological beliefs.

Yes, Wooster has a rigorous academic program. Professors expect a lot out of their students and push them to achieve. However the great thing about Wooster is that although there are high standards of academic excellence there are so many great resources available to students to help them achieve these goals. For example, professors all maintain office hours, answer student emails quickly, and are always available for individual appointments. The faculty truly want to see their students succeed. The College also other great opportunities such as the Learning Center and the Writing Center which are free resources for available to all students!

One main characteristic of a Wooster student is to be involved in many different activities at the same time. As a sophomore I am involved in Model United Nations, was on the Freshman planning committee, work as a tour guide in the admissions office, and am a member of a sorority. This allows students to create many different and diverse groups of friends and to be very involved in their college community.

Antwan

Well this year's freshmen class was the largest class that the college has had in a very long time so it's a big class but it is filled with friendly people who you will find to be diverse not only in race or ethnicity but in there thoughts, ways, and life-style choices. My classmates are also very spirited and independent thinkers, which allows for great discussions and well thoughtout opinions!

As a student enters college it is expected for him or her to develop emotionally and sometimes physically. The things that you were used to and the life style you once lead are expected to change, when I started at the College of Wooster the changes were evident. I was no longer the high school big shot or even apart of my household. I felt like I entered a world full of people with air bubbles full of ideals, aspirations, and desires and my poor air bubble was the size of a pea. I anticipated the physical and emotional changes but I soon realized the bigger change I had to face was a mental change. I had to accept the fact that I could no longer be the center of attention, I could not expect passes or things to be handed to me, I had to learn to strive for what I wanted and demand what I needed. After just one semester of college I have matured and so many ways, I owe this to my new found determnation to be the best me that I can be and that means putting forth my best effort not anyone elses.

People who are closed-minded should not attend The College of Wooster. The school is so diverse in so many aspects if you are not willing to accept others in all area's then Wooster is not the school for you.

Zilu

I am an international student from China. Wooster is a great experience for me because I can feel the care and attention from the college, which is a special advantage that many other colleges do not offer. Students and faculty here are really really nice people who are always willing to help. As for academics, students here are competitive but not over-achievers who only want to beat you down. We help each other to improve together.

the trees are the best things on campus. it is green and peaceful everywhere. a perfect place to study.

the worst thing might be that the campus is really small. there's not much exciting here if you are a fun-seeker.

The College of Wooster administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.