Wooster, OH
The College of Wooster

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The College of Wooster

I f I had the chance to go back in time as a high school senior and give myself advice, I would start off by advising myself to have an open mind. I wanted to go away from home in the Midwest and not consider many options that would have benefited me far more than the school I attended my freshman year in college. Taking advice and considering others suggestions would have caused less stress for me and maybe I would not have experienced a massive transition. But no matter what, I learned that this has been an experience and even when I am not in school or attending my classes during breaks, I am constantly learning. I am learning more and more about myself and what I want in life and what I expect myself to complete and accomplish. Throughout all of life's disruptions and pauses I never take a pause from being myself and knowing who I am as a young, mature adult.

I am a transfer student and I feel like this is the right place for me. I feel very comfortable and glad I made the decision to transfer here.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that it gets really cold in the winter. The Midwest is known to have four seasons in one week.

Robert

I would tell myself to apply to William and Mary. I was overly optimistic in assuming there would be vast amounts of intellectual curiosity among students everywhere. Instead, I would let myself know that I was spoiled by my high school and that applying to a place with lots of my friends from high school would be a good idea. I would let myself know that everything I had heard about students thinking a lot in college may indeed be true, but it wouldn't be true to the extent that it was at my high school, and so I shouldn't let myself get disappointed. I would tell myself to make sure I stayed in touch with all of my friends and to pick a college closer to some of my friends (and make sure there was public transportation).

There is a lot of emphasis on helping students with various learning disabilities, of which I am certainly a member.

I talk most about the emphasis on helping those with special needs and the focus on teaching.

Katie

A very learning-oriented, research and independent study experience. Wooster is a school for the driven individuals who know that they have talent in many different subjects. Studying and learning is an important and interesting part of our lives.

It is important when looking for a college that you have a well-rounded experience. A private liberal arts school was the best decision for me to make because the work load is intense, meant for a driven person, yet you could always find time for a school activity, club, or just time to relax and hang out. Classes are small so the attention from teachers is more in depth and rewarding.

I wish i had known that tuiton would raise by 10k in the past 4 years.

Brian

Our school is a academically intense but manageable school. When you need help you will get it be it faculty or another student.

The most distinct thing about our school is the Senior Undergraduate thesis or the Independent Study done in (obviously) the senior year.

I would say to step out of your comfort circle as much as possible while attending college, because otherwise you'll miss out on a lot. Academics are important, and concentrate this as much as necessary to succeed, but there is more to the college experience than academics. I've learned as much from my peers as I have from my teachers, just in different ways. I would also suggest getting help when you need it, and prioritizing your daily activities to suit your needs. Again, try to put your school work ahead of social or extra curricular activities, but don't let it stop you from living during the best two to four years of your life.

A very diverse community that loves coming together to not only learn but to socialize as well, not exculding the teachers.

Colleges come in many sizes, look at your high school and ask yourself if you like the size and go from there. If you aren't sure what you want to do yet go to a Liberal Arts college. GO VISIT THE COLLEGES AND SEE FOR YOURSELF!

That independence can be a good thing. If you try there is always a way to find help, and someone is always willing to help you.

Cora

The College of Wooster offers friendly, challenging environment with extremely supportive faculty and staff that will help you do what interests you and emphasizes independent learning.

When I was applying to college, I thought that there was a perfect school for me. I had my dream school picked out and a line of back-ups waiting for me (all of which I had decided that I did like, even if it wasn't my number one). I got accepted to my dream school, but the College of Wooster offered me a very generous scholarship. My biggest advice to give in choosing a college is not to set your heart on one school before you get your acceptance letters. I quickly found at the College of Wooster that I was going to get everything from this school that I would have gotten at my one-time "dream school" but wouldn't be paying off school loans for the rest of my life. I guess my advice is to be open to your options, because there isn't one perfect school for everyone - there's plenty, and it's important to take advantage of what is offered to you. All schools have numerous clubs, activities, majors, etc, and even if it takes some people longer than others, if you put yourself out there you will find your place.

It is in a very small town and there are very few relations between the college community and the town, which is a shame. However, many people overcome this by doing volunteer work in the community or simply visiting downtown more often. It also gets really cold in the winter and doesn't go away for good until finals week in the Spring.

Louisa

The Junior and Senior Independent Study Program. It gives students a chance to do their own research in their field before they even graduate, giving them a step up over other job applicants and grad school applicants.

For parents, let the student decide. If they're at a school they were pressured into going to, and they dont like it there, they won't do as well. For students, find a school that fits you. Don't go to a school because your friends are going there, or your significant other. Choose for you, some place you feel comfortable and think you could learn well. Remember you're in school to learn.

Anyone who is interested in a liberal arts education at an institution that is not super competative. Anyone who is looking for small class sizes and caring professors that you get to know personally.

The best thing about Wooster are the students and the connection they have to the faculty and greater Wooster community. Each student receives very personal attention in each class and especially in the area of study they wish to pursue through the independent study project. The size of the school is just right. You can walk around on campus and recognize mostly everyone, but at the same time you are always meeting new people through your classes, different events, groups, and parties. I think the Wooster administration is VERY open to new ideas and they work hard to be receptive to our ideas and thoughts on how to make Wooster a better place. I think as a small town, Wooster has a lot of things to offer. There are surprisingly good restaurants downtown and although there is not a big night scene, students on campus ensure that there is always something going on at night at school. Wooster definitely has a lot of school pride, this is especially witnessed through involvement in athletics and the large attendance of athletic events on campus. The most frequent complaints at Wooster are about the small town atmosphere, but there are always things to do if you are willing to seek them out. Also, students constantly complain about the food offered at school, but doesn't everyone? Wooster tries to offer a variety of places to eat on campus and a healthy variety within dining halls.

Wooster students are from very diverse backgrounds. If you are not accepting of different attitudes, beliefs and receptive to new ideas, you may not feel comfortable at Wooster. Most students are laid-back and casual, attire to class can easily be sweat pants and a t-shirt, but many students also dress nicely, attire varies. It seems Wooster more so than many schools encourages different groups to interact. Different race groups sit together in the dining hall, there is not a white group and then a black group or a hispanic group, most groups are intermingled and its sometimes hard to define yourself as a part of only one group at Wooster because students are connected and involved in so many ways. Most students at Wooster are from the east coast, but there are plenty from the south and west too. We also have a large international population, many students from Jamaica! At Wooster it is hard to tell what one's financial background is because the school gives very large amounts of financial aid, students from every socioeconomic background attend Wooster. Students are very politically aware, there is a large liberal population at Wooster. Recently Wooster has also been actively engaged in making the campus environmentally friendly. Most disposable products at the school have become recyclable, buildings are built to use the least amount of electricity, just this year a composting program has been put into place. There is a large sustainability group on campus, many students are environmentally conscious and pro-active.

Some say most of the students at Wooster are stuck-up white kids, but this is definitely not the case. Wooster feels very diverse although the majority of the students are white. Diversity comes from our socioeconomic differences and various backgrounds.

Teachers at Wooster want you to succeed. They provide as much personal attention as you need and there are many one-on-one experiences you will have with your teachers throughout your time at Wooster. Students have a good study ethic, of course some don't study much, but then you have your group that is very focused and determined to do well. My science classes are small, especially as I have entered into more advanced classes. I am in a cell physiology class that is about 10 students and a chemistry class of about 20. Wooster tries to open students to all academic disciplines by requiring students to take a class through pretty much every department. This ends up being a great experience and opens students to new ideas and unexpected passions. Wooster really instills an appreciation of learning in its students. Academics are not so challenging that you can't be involved in many other things outside of school which benefits a students education as a whole. This is a really nice feature of Wooster because students are able to build a community and a great social life around the great involvement in campus groups and activities.

Athletics are very popular at Wooster. There is also a large activities crew which organizes really neat things on campus every week. Students are often working campus jobs all over campus so you see them involved in every aspect of Wooster. Students are very open and the halls always have activity with people coming and going, most halls have a good community built through the personal attention and time residential life dedicates to creating a good atmosphere in the dorms. There are always guest speakers on campus. Musical artists, comedians, politicians. We had Joe Biden speak earlier this year! There is always activity at night. You'll find students in the 24-hour computer lab the 'Wired Scot'. At 2 AM you can always find our 'Mom's Diner' full of students still studying, watching tv or just having some pancakes with their friends. Parties are very prevalent on campus during the weekends, but students can always find alternative things to do. There is a bowling alley on campus. Two movie theatres near by. There is a dance club on campus called the underground that has a DJ every Friday from 10PM-2AM. And a campus bar with a popular happy hour. Greek life doesn't have a huge presence on campus, although there are many greek groups. Many students choose not to be involved in greek life because there are many other ways on campus to get to know people. Greek life at Wooster also doesn't play a huge role, because greek groups are friends with everyone. An alpha-gamma will be friends with a Zeta or a member of the field hockey team. There are not defined barriers between groups.

Wooster students are known to be quirky, weird, hippie-type kids.

Elaine

The students at Wooster are diverse, ranging from Jamaican scientists to American psychologists, and while being very diverse sometimes social groups become cliques.

I think it's really important to visit the college campuses and find a feel that is right for you. It's an individual decision, and it has to be an institution that is able to provide for your interests, both academically and socially.

The resources available are the best thing about Wooster. The libraries have a lot of information available to students, or can order it from other schools in Ohio. The professors are accessible and willing to help you in almost any situation. And the other offices (financial aid, registrar, etc) are willing to work with students and help when they can.

The College of Wooster administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.