University of Alaska Fairbanks Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Alaska Fairbanks

Cassandra

When i first came to the campus i was a little nervous about the teachers. In the past, my previous school some of the teachers were not there to teach their student but instead criticized them. The University of Fairbanks Alaska is nothing like that, every teacher i had took there time to teach me when i didn't understand. they even would add extra office hours to help there students not to fail the class. second people might say the food is bad, I would have to disagree. I have to be a gluten free diet and the food they service doesn't taste like cardboard. the chefs are very careful when handling my food and respect that i am limited in what i can eat. lastly i dorm, and i have to say the dorm life is great. i don't have a room mate but people are not loud late at night so i can get sleep. during the day they keep to them selves and best part people are very nice to each other no matter how they look.

Maica

I love it! There are more online classes being added, so I can continue my education even from my home and office! They added Spanish, French and Kanji this semester, so I took all three! Some of the teachers here are difficult to work with- always check Rate My Professor first! However, most of the teachers have been some of the kindest, intellectually stimulating and inspiring people that I have had the pleasure to learn with. I would definitely recommend the University of Alaska Fairbanks.

Serenity

I believe the University of Alaska Fairbanks is an amazing educational program for young students who aren't good with a larger setting. The classes are small (no more than 40 students per class) and the teachers are always willing to help out further than just the lesson given. There's even a Rural Students area where kids from villages/smaller towns can go to hang out, distress or study. Overall such an amazing school and I hope more students will consider going there.

Lieua

The campus is pretty great once you settle in, you get to learn and know the area and surroundings around you. It is great access to transportation where you need to go when you follow the schedule what bus you are wanting to use to get to that place or you can explore around. The campus foods are somewhat delicious. The people here on campus are really nice, they don't bother to talk a lot because of what goes on with the day they have. The professors are nice when and after you know them, they would love to help you with what you need help on. Everything here on campus is easy when you know where every building is and the classes are.

UAF is a great place to be. It may be dark, cold, and far away from the rest of the world, but that’s what makes it so unique. The people here are strong, independent, and adventurous, and you really have to be to live in a place like this. This is the farthest north school in all of America. You’re basically learning about whatever you want at the top of the world. How cool is that? Engineering is really big up here, and with big companies like BP and Conocophillips just up the haul road, it’s not unheard of to get a job with a big company like that right out of college. Biology and Natural Resource Management are also really popular here, and there are many research opportunities and grants available to students who want to gain a more hands on approach to these topics. There are also plenty of really good opportunities for students to get together and connect with each other. There are so many opportunities with the Outdoor Adventures group to go on really fun trips all over the Fairbanks area and the rest of Alaska. Also the number of clubs and activities offered here can keep anyone and everyone entertained. They are so many things to do, it’s almost impossible to be bored. The food isn’t half bad, and dorm life isn’t all that terrible either. It’s not difficult to find a nice quiet place dorm to sleep and study in. And if you don’t like to study in your room, there are plenty of other places to study. Almost every building has at least one nice sized study area for students to focus on school work (or take a nap if that’s what you really need in between classes). They school puts students first. Teachers are always available to talk and love answering the questions of a curious student. Also class sizes aren’t typically very large, so teachers can spend more time with students one-on-one answering questions and making sure that everyone understands the material. Overall, UAF is quiet, cozy, and a great place to learn. I’m really glad I made the choice to come here and I hope you do too!

Marcus

University of Alaska Fairbanks offers a variety of courses at many campuses. These campuses include Kuskokwim Campus or Ilisarvik. I graduated from Kuskokwim Campus and I love that they offer Rural campuses, although these campuses need updating in certain areas.

Brianna

The University itself is not bad at all. The Kuskokwim campus branch of UAF is quite accommodating to students.The staff is friendly and they take the time to learn your name. Its a small campus in which surrounding village students could attend without having to travel long distances. The only downside is that the dorm isn't very big and there are limited places to live in Bethel, Ak.

Marcus

It is a great place for those that do not mind the (to me) obnoxious weather. For my major, their academic scheduling is kind of hectic. My biggest pet peeve of this university is that they do tend to switch what courses are considered core requirement and what is not. Other than that, the school is not a bad place to get an education​.

Alecia

I really love it here, beautiful scenery, just right campus and nice people.

Adrianna

I absolutely love this school. If you are looking for an adventure and don't mind the cold then come to UAF. You need to be hardy and ready for adventures and flexible. The school is commited to those who are serious about helping themselves. Be ready to commit to your own plan and embrace the cold and adventures of UAF.

Kassidy

University of Alaska Fairbanks used to be a much better school it was considered one of the top. Now hardly anyone wants to attend do to its lack of care the students and faculty have for it. The main reason I am even looking into it is because I live here and the tuition is un-beatable. I would be willing to pay more money to attend for a school that values the education they give and I can pride myself in attending.

Annamarie

It is a very nice campus and the staff are friendly and helpful. The program I am in enrolled in is rigorous and interesting. There are many different activities and job opportunities for students here on campus. There's also many support groups and help if needed.

Theresa

I found that their equipment that they were screwing us with especially pertaining to the ones mixed with the high school word janky safety gear was not provided and the tools to create the scene or not up to date some of the professors were engaged in some of them were tired and had a lot of personlal issues to discuss overall I really didn't feel like I learned much.

Rodolfo

It's cheaper and more affordable than a lot of other schools. This comes with a few drawbacks, of course. Many programs offered here aren't 10/10, and with Alaska's political situation constantly changing, funds appear and disappear often. Arts are available, and many people in the programs succeed, but as always, arts are the first to go when budget cutting. The sciences flourish here. This school is the only land, sea, and space grant schools in the US! The teachers are stellar and for the most part love what they do. Fairbanks itself is very different from a lot of other places. Think rural San Francisco that freezes over in the winter. Not too much to do off-campus, especially in the winter.

Great university.

Uziel

It is a great university for certain things and majors. It is the only university in the united states that offers arctic engineering as a branch of civil engineering. It comes with many opportunities like you I have explained for engineering. Other than academics the university as a whole is ok. The university is one of the more heavily funded schools in Alaska meaning it is always undergoing remodeling to appeal to more people. The campus is made safe for everyone to feel welcome and come back again soon. It is also one of the more affordable engineering schools in the nation.

Celsie

Its a pretty nice school. I have friends in multiple departments so I get lots of feed back every day. I love the atmosphere. Very warm and open. Love the family vibe. One thing that is nice about this school is that we make a great effort to make exchange students , or out of state students feel welcome. It really is a safe and friendly place. If not a little cold weather wise but hey, that's Alaska for you.

Christian

I really like everything about it. I haven't started taking classes, I start this fall, but all the tours I've taken, classes I've visited, and my professors I've talked to have shown me all the good the school offers. I'm from Anchorage which is south of Fairbanks, and so I have a lot of friends who have already been at UAF for 1 or 2 years and they have some less shining examples about the school, but all the good they have to say really outshines the bad.

Isabella

It okay, The food is not good enough for what they charge and house can be expensive and small if you live on campus. It's expensive to buy a permit to park and if you live on campus they make you buy a meal plan so you have fake money to buy crappy food.

Victoria

It is a great school. Lot s of great people and the academics are great. Would definitely recommend the place for engineers or science majors especially. Although there isn't as much of a variety for all students. But is a very good school for what they do have.

Lenin

UAF is a nice little college campus community, with a great view of mountains and nature. The campus has a bar on campus called The Pub which students tend to like. The teachers are very passionate and care about their students. UAF is on the forefront of new arctic innovations to help combat climate change.

Jacob

This is an absolutely wonderful institution to attend if you have an appreciation for the surrounding environment and cultures. It meets most of the academic criteria I expect from the high-level academic areas of study. I look forward to completing my degree here!

I am just going to be some a freshmen this coming fall and I am super ecstatic and excited. I do have a few jitters, but who doesn’t. The counselor has been helpful and has helped me tremendously even though I know she has a busy schedule, she always finds time for me. I cannot wait to become a Nanook

Kyja

Fairbanks is home to me and being able to attend University of Alaska Fairbanks is a privilege. The education is phenomenal, along with the professors. The professors and faculty are very understanding and faculty. The supportive of Alaska Fairbanks is a positive place to spend most of my time at as a full-time student and I am proud to be studying at such a great University.

Alex

I think that the University of Alaska in Fairbanks has a very diverse group of people and gives all the students new opportunities. The advisors, instructors, and workers are very understanding of anyone's issue, thus making it one of their priorities to make sure we have all we need to excel. So I think that I enjoy being here, because it gives me all the tools, academic and social, alike to better my future.

Connie

The university is a cultural melting pot. It’s nice to meet outstanding students from all over the word. The teachers I have had are awesome. They know what they are talking about because before they became college staff they were in the classroom doing exactly what I am doing and learning to do.

Oscherica

The University of Alaska Fairbanks is a fantastic school. From the first steps of the application process to the first day of class to the day of graduation, this school and it's staff are NOTHING but helpful and kind! Any phone calls, questions I have, or emails I send are answered in a timely matter. They also have amazing online degree programs that will work for anyone's schedule, like it does for me.

Serenity

This university is truly terrible. Please, do not attend this university. Facility members of all sorts are sexually assaulting students, and when reported to the on campus police department, cops pat you on the back, sweep it under the rug and tell you to learn something. There's at least one suicide ON CAMPUS annually. The university use to be so involved with arts, being proud of their arts, now suddenly cutting it completely out basically for their "research", when none of the students have even been told what research. Just as of 2018-2019 a student fell from the 8th floor dorm window after being on drugs. And no one was held accountable, not even other students. Another student was raped by her RA and it resulted in her becoming pregnant. A young man named Ross jumped from the top of a popular campus building with a note literally stapled to his chest, right before the 2018 Fall semester was supposed to begin. Professors make the classes seem simple and ready to jump in the first two weeks, but after the withdrawal deadline they suddenly pull the rug and make the content 100% more difficult, impossible even. Students are not happy on this campus, not unless they're a favorite or were born in Fairbanks. The university will also try to give unreasonable fines and won't tell students why they are being fined. When first attending, I thought this was normal. I thought "wow this is the real world guess I better buck up". But after leaving and attending other universes and speaking with other professors about the experience, they were even mortified. Please, do not waste your time and money on this poor education system. And don't risk your safety.

Tara

UAF, nestled on a little hill in our tiny town of Fairbanks Alaska is a a warm welcome out of the ice fog. The programs offered are extensive and the staff is stellar. When I go to class whether it be on campus or at the downtown center, I am greeted by warm and friendly faces. It takes character to live in the cold weather of Fairbanks, Alaska, but the people who stick around are of amazing character. UAF is a community. Go UAF!

Jasmine

Personally, I would say avoid the school overall. UAA is way better than the piece of trash UAF has to offer. TA's rarely show during their hours, professors think 60% as a class average is really great, the people here are just arrogant. UAF is just the flagship, nothing else is special, its cold, filled with hate, and the campus is in a really dumb spot. Only good think about it is instate institution is fairly cheap(however, the fees are insane. $42 for a student government fee, I never seen the student government ever(and I've tried!)

Blake

Nice small school atmosphere and I always feel safe on campus. However, the food is not very good and you are forced to purchase a dinning plane even if you don't want one when you live on campus. The dinning plans they do have could be structured differently so as to not waste so much of the students money and they shouldn't change the rules in the middle of a semester. Overall I would recommend this school as there are some great opportunities available.

Katlyn

I think Uaf is an amazing school overall with something here for everyone. The campus is nice and the students are very helpful when I have questions. There are an abundance of resources to be found, as well as plenty of neat places to hide out and cram for exams! :)

Leyna

The University of Alaska Fairbanks give a unique experience of living in a state outside of the typical United States. If you want to enjoy the journey of the great outdoors, visit with reindeer, have a winter of snow and cold, this is the place for you. The academic environment was stimulating and challenging to the standards expected of a university.

Alfredo

I love it the staff and students are committed to helping out everyone to achieve the best possible education and learning. The cost is very efficient and everyone is very welcoming. I love the location of it and I feel safe. I would recommend to everyone who asks

Georgia

The University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF) campus is a world-class higher education institution. My experience has been that UAF delivers a superior education and educational experience over other University of Alaska institutions due to its established campus. The UAF campus is home to top Engineering, Geology sciences in the nation. Other Schools within the UAF system deliver employable graduates who continue to perform high in their fields of study. Another standout for UAF is their online learning programs. With electronic learning and distance education becoming standard deliveries of higher education, more people of all regions in Alaska can attend UAF. The learning reach of UAF Distance Education extends beyond Alaska to other States. Additionally, the online program that UAF provides is competitive with cutting edge technology of instructor to student interaction and real-time classroom exchange. For students and families who desire on-campus life and learning, UAF is a well-established campus with state of the art facilities for research, arts, and life skills for the new college student. The UAF campus Security and an on-site Fire Station are embedded into and on the UAF campus. Student safety is high as is the education from UAF.

In my opinion, UAF is a good school to attend. I have had zero issues with students or staff. Hockey is a big deal up here though and I'm not a huge hockey fan. A car is recommended because the shops are not really in walking distance unless you really enjoy walking and remember to bundle up!

Grace

Overall, UAF has many knowledgable professors, but there are only a select few that I have come across that will always be available and really want you to succeed in class and not simply take the class for credit. The food is pretty good, and there seem to be activities occurring most every week whether it's a play, concert, Pub Trivia, etc.

James

I am blessed to be accepted into the University of Alaska Fairbanks system. I have been enrolled in their Cohort Models of social work studies since 2012. I got my Rural (Alaska) Humans Services Certificate in 2016 and my Associates of Applied Social Sciences in 2018. I am currently in pursuit of my Bachelor in Social Work since fall of 2018. Overall, these Cohort Models in Social Work studies have been excellently delivered. We got the most intelligent and caring instructors, advisors and the logistics they have completed for every intensive week has been extremely productive. My personal and professional growth has advanced superbly. Thank you UAF!

University of Alaska Fairbanks offers a unique experience for its student body. The extracurricular activities and clubs are interesting and exciting. The class sizes are smaller and more personal, allowing students to get to know the professor. The faculty are knowledgeable and always willing to help.

Heather

I love being a student at this college. Everyone is so friendly! The online classes are awesome and I haven’t had one professor that I didn’t like. They are always willing to help. The online classes are very well put together and easy to access. I love being an online student.