Evansville, IN
University of Evansville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Evansville

Colleen

I absolutely love the University of Evansville. I am originally from Arizona so the university is my second home and I love it. Evansville is quite smaller than the city that I am from but that is fine with me because the university offers several events throughout the year such as laser tag, ice skating, and a new movie every Thursday night on campus. The University of Evansville is small but that is why I chose to attend. I wanted to actually know my professors and to feel like I was accepted as a real person not some number that is spending a lot of money. When I tell people that I attend the University of Evansville the reaction I get most of the time is, "What? Where is that?" but I then tell them that we are the school that had the plane crash in the 70's that killed all of the basketball players. At that point most people understand the pride I have for my school. I personally spend most of my time split between my room, the library, and class. I like to study in a lot of different areas and the University of Evansville gives me the choice to choose where I would like to study. The school's administration is very nice when you are a prospective student they know your name and where you are from but once you attend UE they forget your name unless you do something terribly wrong or extremely good. Which I can understand since they spend most of their time meeting prospective students. The one experience that I will always remember is during my freshman year my university invited a hypnotist to perform for the freshman. He was so good, I will never forget what some people did and how deep they got into the hypnotism. Overall, I definitely love the University of Evansville because it is my second home and I will never forget my experiences here.

The biggest stereotype of students at my university is that we are all rich and stuck up. This is not true at all. University of Evansville boasts about our Volunteering programs that are year round. We are very involved in the community whether it is the greek's philanthropies or spending a morning doing a campus wide volunteer project. Finally, almost every student who attends the university has a scholarship and is proud about the work that they have accomplished to earn that scholarship.

Jonathan

The Univeristy of Evansville is a place that will challenge you and help you enter the world prepared.

When students make the transition from high school to college, their response is often one of shock when realizing the variety of changes to which they must adapt. This often causes students to reflect on their years of high school and consider what advice would have been helpful to them as high school seniors. If I had the opportunity to give advice to myself in high school, I would first explain that in order to succeed in college, one must be entirely self-motivated. Unlike high school, the teachers are not there to hold anyone’s hand throughout the semester. College is what you make it to be. Secondly, I would say that studying at late hours is simply a part of college life. However, there is no need to worry about that because one adapts rather quickly. Lastly, I would say “be prepared to step out of your comfort zone.” In college, there are individuals from hundreds of cultures. By familiarizing yourself with these individuals, you gain experience and knowledge about places which you may have never known existed. The main idea that I would want to impart is to be prepared for changes in college and stay positive.

There are a lot of General Education courses that you have to take your first year. However, most schools are like that as well, so it's not too terriblly bad. If you spend your first year getting the General Education courses out of the way then the rest of the time should be more major focused.

Danielle

The best thing about UE for me personally (being an athlete) is our athletic facilities. Our soccer program has THE BEST grass field in the MVC conference. One thing I would change is making the school have a "college town" feeling. We are kind of secluded from the rest of the community because of how small our campus is and our specific location. Since we are a dry campus, we don't have any bars within 5 miles of the campus, but we also don't have a lot of resturants within walking distance. Nothing is too far away (just a 10-15 minute drive down the Lloyd) but it would be nice to have things in a more convenient spot. UE is perfect for the student who wants to roll out of bed 5-10 minutes before class and still be on time. We are only a block and a half in radius (when you add the athletic facilities) so it only takes 5-10 minutes to walk the entire length of the campus. I feel we have one of the best administrations. Since we are a small campus, the student-staff relationship is amazing and actually gives a "family-like" feeling. You can always talk to the professors and they are always interested in your life (along with how you do in the classroom).

The most popular organizations tend to be athletes (Student Athlete Advisory Committee), greek life, and clubs within your major. I am personally involved with women's soccer and the Student Athlete Adivsory Committee (SAAC), Students of AMF, Physical Therapy Club, Exercise and Sport Science Club, National Society of Collegiate Scholars, and the National Society of Leadership and Success. In the dorm life, students have the option of leaving their door open. A lot of students do leave them open unless they are studying. Athletic events for men's athletics are VERY popular. Since we do not have a football team, our men's basketball team is the most popular sport and the most fun to attend. Fraternities/Sororities make up 30% of the population so they are a big impact on the university. It's a great way to get involved and meet new people. There are tons of things to do on the weekend besides drinking. There are usually theatre events going on, game nights, athletic events, or group gatherings that do not involve drinking (especially since we are a dry campus). You can always find something to do and have fun with!

Being a small school, if your professor does not know your name, then you have never been to class. After the first week or two of classes, your professors normally know you by name. They will talk to you outside of class and ask you how you are doing with everything. If you are involved on campus (whether in athletics, theatre, greek life) the professors normally know. Being a private school, the expectations are usually higher so students study based on their major. If you are a science based major, you are normally studying a lot more than a business or education based major. Class participation tends to be a big factor in a lot of classes. Students at UE are very competitive especially with the continuing education programs we have (Nursing Program, Physical Therapy Program). These programs are designed to be competitive and only take the best students possible. There are only 40 spots available - and although there isn't a huge student body (roughly 2,500 students), a lot of the population comes to UE for these programs specifically. The education received at UE is intended to help you get the best job possible in your field and help you be ready to start a career. There are so many services and help from the staff that it is very easy when you graduate to have a job/career already set up.

There is a place for everyone at the University of Evansville. You don't have to have just one stereotype to be a student at UE. Since we are a private school, people think that we are all nerds, but the biggest population of students actually consist of athletes (10% of the student body) and greeks (30% of the student body). However, you don't have to be outrageously smart, athletic or greek affiliated to fit in here. There are places for everyone to get involved - whether you're religious, artsey, or musical, you will find people just like you here. And don't be afraid to mix your stereotype! Since it is a small campus, it is easy and fun to get involved with many different groups!

Olivia

Olivia, dear, you should have no problems making friends in college. You're going to be so surprised how easy it is, so don't worry about it. Maybe you should practise having a schedualed study time. School is not as structured as high school. Life is no longer 8am to 3pm straight school. You'll have an hour to two hours between classes, and you should spend those hours studying or reading to get ahead of your homework. By the way, homework will no longer be accomplished within an hour. Expect four hours or more of studying, homework, and writing papers. A little forwarning is the best advice I can give to you, my procrastinating past self.

I've only just arrived! I've been on campus for just a few weeks, and it's hard to think of the worst thing. Maybe it's too soon in our budding educational relationship to define faults. I'm maddly in love with the University of Evansville right now.

In my dorm hall, the bathrooms have three walls, a door, and a curtain! It seems silly to brag about something so trivial, but I love the shower privacy. I also brag about the friendliness of the campus; Everyone is so kind and nice, from the faculty to the students. I've never felt so welcome in a strange, new place.

Andrew

The University of Evansville is a small, but close-kint environment, and the school emphasizes learning cultural acceptance, diversity, and freedom.

I would tell myself it would be better to live on campus from the start, so that I would not miss out on all the extra-curricular activites, clubs, and social gatherings. Living on campus would have made it so that I had one less thing to worry about. I would also tell myself to be more open and outgoing, and get to know more people.

I wish I had known to be more open and more of myself so I could have found the friends I now have sooner.

Carl

My school, Hofstra University, has a multitude of diffrerent majors and minors to choose from, there are hundreds of clubs and groups supported by the school, and is located in Long Island, next door to New York City, which is an area teeming with opportunities for internships. There are 12,000 students attending my college, so there is a never ending diversity, amazing teachers, and it has a rugby team, which I am a member of and proud of. The school is like its own little city and it has a beautiful look and feel to its campus.

I would say that I should have forced myself to study more and ensure enough sleep. What I did wrong my first semester was that I slacked off in exchange for a social life. I should have focused on my studies, because my GPA is what ensures me that I can have that social life. This was the mistake I made and wish I could go back and ensure I would not have messed up my GPA immediately after entering college.

I wish I had know the tuition would be so much. It is currently $50,000 a year, but because of the benefits listed above, it is a school worth staying at, which is why I am applying for this scholarship.

Chantelle

If I could go back in time and talk to myself and give myself advice, honestly, I would say take the standarized tests and go to a state college. Honeslty, the community college I go to now is not very safe and it is hard to get all the classes to transfer. In the end I am spenind more money instead of saving like I thought I would. So I would tell myself go to a state college and take the tests. But if my otherself told me, " No, I am going to community college". I would then tell myself to learn streetsmarts and it will take longer than you thing but to keep plugging away.

TonyaLynn

“Don’t freak out! This is yourself talking to you.” “Listen up! Tonya you need to focus on high school and get better grades because you will start college in December of 2008. Yes you will be scared there are no two ways about it. Just remember to keep your head above water no matter how much distraction is around you. Dad and mom are going to get the divorce you wish for, and everything will be fine.” “Give college your all it's worth it. I could tell you that this will be a tight struggle and challenging as you will find yourself at your ultimate low living in a run-down trailer house that your kids refer to it as the rain house because the roof was gone in parts, but there is no sense in telling you this because it only gave you more ambition to do better. You graduate from college with a 3.3 GPA with all the family and friends there to watch you strut across the stage. The words that you hear matter the most “Honey, I am so proud of you.” This is what your husband says to you with your kids.

Jordan

The University of Evansville is known for its theater program. Many famous actors and producers are UE almuni. UE is also known for its nursing and physical therapy programs.

To begin with, don't worry so much about missing your high school friends. In college, you meet such a variety of people; you'll make new ones in no time at all. Your high school friends are only made based on where you live. Your college friends will be made based on who you are. You will meet people in college from other places in the world that can completely change your perspectives. When you start to worry about whether you can succeed or not, don't. Just believe in yourself and you can. You know you are smart and you know you will do well throughout your whole life. So just stop worrying about your success and worry about paying for your success. You need to apply for as many scholarships as possible. Yes, mom was right. Senior year flies by and procrastinating on the scholarships makes you miss out on a lot of opportunities. Start saving now. Lastly, don't pack so much. You really don't need that many clothes! Move in day will go by a lot faster and moving out will be a lot easier if you just leave some things at home.

A person that is only in school to go to parties and not study much should definietly not go to UE. Also, a student who does not want to be the center of attention in classes should not go here since the average class size it 17. A student who needs a lot of activities going on at once or needs lots of things to do in the city around the college is also not recommended.

Justine

If I could go back in high school and give myself advice, I would advise myself to have started looking and preparing for college sooner. I would have started in the 10th grade instead of late 11th grade. I was not able to apply to certain colleges I wanted because of my late start. Although, now, I am very proud to be going to the University of Evansville. It is an outstanding school and I am always proud to tell people that I go to the University of Evansville.

A person who is not willing to study or put effort towards furthering their future should not attend the University of Evansville.

University of Evansville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.