University of Maine Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Maine

Candy

The University of Maine is a good, cold place to be. There's a good atmosphere around autumn, but winter is rather mellow. The food is definitely edible; however, contrary to popular belief, eating the same things for months in a row isn't the most amusing thing. There is always something going on during the weekend and there's a large chance the police will be attending as well. Somehow, they are always fashionably late and make quite the entrance. The sports culture in UMaine is definitely alive. You'd be surprised how many loyal fans are willing to stick it out in freezing temperatures with enough energy to cheer every play during football games. These all make this university what it is. The harsh winter gives chance for more academic focus, and the meal plans ensure the validity of freshman fifteen. Everyone is friendly, including the police, and school spirit really brings everyone together. This is somewhere I've become very comfortable and happy in, despite the cold.

Elliott

I love being part of the University of Maine student body. However, I see many opportunities within the school where they could truly excel about other New England schools. The school could be doing so much more with their farm facilities, and kitchens. There could be a real relationship within the two, however the University doesn't use Witter to it's full extent.

Jessie

The worst experience of my entire life was making the mistake to go to the compass in Augusta. One person owns the whole compass a bully named Roger Mackbach who regularly uses racials slurs said he hates gay people and women violently kicks doors and will get anyone fired if he don't like them he is a horrible human being he owns the whole school allocates money from the school to pay for all of his food and has said how much he hates black people

Nicholas

It isn't hard to make amazing friends. I came from Rhode Island not knowing a single person that was going to attend UMaine with me and now that I'm back at home I miss being north. The academics are challenging but do-able, and they have over 200 different clubs/organizations to join.

mariah

Beautiful campus and facilities, and an overall warm environment. I love the professors and how accessible they are. Lots of diversity and acceptance among students and teachers alike. I look forward to going to my classes, and enjoy the variety offered in courses.

Siaoli

Good School, good environment, good reviews from friends and others! Excited to be part of the experience!

Kennedy

Overall Umaine is a great school. People are usually very nice and easy to get along with. Even when your driving off campus and such everyone is very friendly. There is always a club to join on campus. At the beginning of the year the school even hosts a club and team fair, where any students can come and join clubs they would like to join. The food is okay here, it could be better. But there is always places to eat during the day and all freshman have to get the unlimited plan which actually helps out a lot. On campus housing isn't that bad either I live in Knox hall and the room for a college dorm is pretty nice and all the RAs have always been nice to me and my roommate.

C aitlin

Upon applying to the University of Maine I had plans for a furthered education outside of my rural hometown of a mere 400 residents. I not only am attaining just that, but much more. Along with the informative and reasonably sized classes, the available and experienced advisors, the helpful professors, the great facilities, and the wide array of dining options, I've also been exposed to several opportunities, extraordinary people of likeminded views and openness, and the chance to become myself. Provided these factors the University of Maine allows for the environment for young adults to pursue their own transition into who they want to be. Overall, I regard the University of Maine as my best choice thus far; it has changed my life, given me the opportunities to become who I want to be, and has become my home.

The people at UMaine are extremely social. I meet new people every day and there are countless opportunities to find your niche. The professors are all devoted and approachable. Majority of the students are outdoorsy and appreciate nature so if that doesn't sound like you- this may not be the right fit. Frats are usually list only, if you know someone then you'll get in but otherwise you won't have much to do at night on the weekends. Sororities don't have houses or much impact on campus.

Lovely!

Mikaela

I love it! The energy on campus from the faculty and students is contagious, and everyone is very enthusiastic to be there. There's a lot going for Umaine; It is the research hub of maine, the school spirit at sports games is off the charts, and the campus is beautiful!

kat

I have mixed feelings about my time at UMaine. On one hand, there are parts of this school I really do love-- our radio station, WMEB, has provided me with a home base and a group of people to discuss my interests with over the three years I've been at this school. The campus and surrounding area are beautiful and full of wildlife (seeing the deer on the bike path always makes my day). There are a lot of different ways to get involved within the community, and the stir fry in the Bear's Den is pretty good. All that being said, though, I'll be transferring out and finishing my education elsewhere. The parking situation on campus is a nightmare, and it's almost impossible to fulfill all your needs without a car up here if you live off-campus. The walk to campus from the nearby apartment complexes is pleasant during the early part of the year, but it becomes unmanageable as soon as it starts snowing. If you don't bring a car during the winter, you'll have to rely on the bus, which stops by relatively infrequently and often takes inefficient routes. Two main things pushed me to transfer, though: first, there's a real sense of social isolation out here, especially if you aren't the most outgoing person. If the party scene isn't your thing, you may have a hard time finding things to do, because there isn't much around in the way of live music or events. Most of the social scene here revolves around drinking: either at the bars or at house/frat parties. Bangor isn't much better: if your interests fall anywhere outside the mainstream, you won't find much to do. The nearest independent movie theater is out in Augusta, and the furthest north most bands will come on tour is Boston. If you're looking for a DIY music scene, there's a small one, but most local bands play gigs at bars, so you have to be 21 to participate in a lot of it. The biggest thing that led me to decide to transfer, though, was the lack of support I felt after my extended hospitalization. I had a complicated year and wound up in the hospital for my mental health at the end of Spring 2019, and while my professors were all kind and accommodating in the time after I was discharged, certain members of the administration made me feel like a burden and a liability. I was asked why I would even reenroll in the Fall after my hospitalization, even though I was only taking nine credits (which is completely realistic for a person who's still in recovery). The mental health services at UMaine are kind of a joke: there's no emergency therapy, and the waiting list to see an on-campus provider is crazy long. Even if you do manage to get in with a therapist here, you'll have to look elsewhere for medication management, which can be a particularly complicated thing for a student who's already balancing schoolwork and mental health issues (and if you don't have a car, good luck making it to appointments with your medication provider, because most of them are located in Bangor). If you're the outdoorsy, sociable type and don't have too many mental health issues, you'll do just fine here. I'd urge anyone else to carefully consider their other options before making the call.

Carmen

I like the school. All the professors are all so friendly and they go out of the way to help you one on one. There are also many resources that students can take advantage of. There are so many clubs that students can join and there is always a place for students to be with.

Reilly

I absolutely love the courses that are tailored to my major, however, other classes for my gen eds aren't my favorite. I am in the UMaine Democrats and I enjoy getting the chance to meet and discuss current events with people who have similar views as me. I am involved in both the marching and pep bands and I absolutely love it!

I am a currently a sophomore at the University of Maine, and I can say with certainty that I love it here. I am a Studio Arts major here. Even for a state school, the facilities for art students are amazing. The class size is small for these classes, even in your first year, which allows you to really get to know your professors that you will most likely come across again in other years. As you move up through the years, you're able to focus on an area you enjoy, if you please, or can branch off and experiment in a variety of areas. For my gen eds in other areas of the school, class sizes vary from small classroom to large lecture hall. Sometimes you'll get a teacher that'll bore you to death in these general classes, but every once in a while you get somebody really passionate, and it makes the class fun to be at. The campus itself is gorgeous, both the buildings and the landscape. Many of the buildings are historic, such as the fogler library or Stevens hall, and are some gorgeous pieces of architecture. There's also an awesome gym for any of you that want to work out. The campus is settled in a piece of Maine that is beautiful. There's wooded and field trails behind the school, a river nearby to kayak in, and endless starry nights. If you come here, though, make sure you invest in some good winter clothing because it can get very very cold and snowy. From where you are on campus, you have relatively close access to many of Maine's state parks and national parks if you're the outdoorsy type. Within campus life, there is still a lot to do if you stay on campus. There is a club for almost any interest, and even if there isn't, it's super easy to start a club. Sports are pretty big here, you can t go anywhere without seeing a black bear sticker or sweatshirt. Make sure you see a football or hockey game before you graduate (they really are great)! Campus food can be hit or miss, but there are plenty of options, and make sure you get in line early for buffalo chicken wrap night (more commonly known as buff chick night). As a first year, you can get plenty of help. The first day you move in as a freshman there are tons of upper class men there to help you settle in. You also have an advisor you can go to for help and plenty of dorm hall assistants. You can dive right into your major and take an introductory class that walks through the requirements for the major, or wait and see by taking a sampling of courses the campus has to offer. Either way, there are people here to help put you on the right path. Overall, UMaine is a very friendly campus. It's become my home over the years. It's such a great campus both academically and for fun. College can be a hard time, especially starting out, but here it wasn't so bad with everything that I had at my disposal for any issues that may arise.

The campus is nice, friendly and inviting. Some of the professors are excellent some of them not so much. I have enjoyed my time hear overall. however, the weather is quite a struggle especially in the winter and the university is not good about cancelling during acclimate weather. Also, the faculty could do better at setting up students for success when it comes to advising them.

Lily

Overall, the University of Maine is a good school. I enjoy going there and am happy I made the choice to attend. The campus food isn't bad but it isn't the best. The dorms are nice and the RA's care but aren't too pushy. The professor's typically make sure to have office hours.

Matthew

I have been very happy at the University of Maine has offered me thus far. The extracurricular activities are abundant. The Engineering program was very impressive when I toured the school and that is what made the University of Maine my first choice to pursue my education. Since I am a first year student I have not had the time to experience all of the clubs and extracurricular activities that I am interested in but I plan on exploring my interests as the time allows. My studies will take priority over those choices of course. Finally, the Flagship scholarship is a very desirable offering that added the my choice of UMaine.

Sophia

An incredible school with many resources to enrich learning and build community. It get's a bad reputation for being a party school, but there is plenty to do if you're not into that. There is definitely much more money put into STEM majors, but the other departments have incredible professors even if they don't have nice facilities.

Lia

The University of Maine is located on a beautiful, low key campus that is a good size but not overwhelming. The campus is surrounded by incredible scenery and running trails that make the outdoors even more enjoyable. The facilities are in excellent condition with a hint of historical ombiance. There is always something going on on campus and there is always something fun to do!

Very good for a state school, and is trying very hard to improve where possible. The facilities are nice, the food is pretty good and healthy/local, and the campus is well-kept. The only problem is that not all students are here to learn, many are here because college is expected of them, so they are more into partying.

Marshall

The University of Maine is a great place for people to grow as individuals. The most notable thing about the university is its innumerable opportunities when it comes to anything science-based. Since the university is the research center for the state, we receive over $80,000,000 annually to fund research in many science-related areas (there is also research in other areas). Overall, great place to meet nice people and to grow academically.

Emileigh

The University of Maine is a safe and welcoming environment. There are more things to get involved in than I can keep track of. All of the sporting events are spirited and enjoyable. The campus itself is beautiful. There are so any opportunities to get involved and enjoy the natural beauties on and surrounding campus. I wold definitely encourage prospective students to apply and take advantage of everything they have to offer.

Danielle

Academics are taken seriously here with professional faculty and helpful teaching tools, such as teaching assistants. Some classes can be quite large so having teaching assistants really helps students feel help is accessable. The social atmosphere of UMaine is definitely a party school. Alcohol and partying is a must do if you wish to be social here, which is unfortunate for those of use who prefer not to participate in such activities.

Gabriel

The University of Maine is overall a good school. There are experienced and well educated professors, several opportunities to get help, and a generally welcoming environment. The university does struggle to be impartial due to its strong liberal bias, and it is considered to be one of the top party schools in the nation, so there is quite abundant underage alcohol consumption. Costs are relatively typical for a 4 year university, but the university can be quite gracious for in state students and nonresidential commuters. However, thousands of dollars are still spent per semester, and often times books are only found at the bookstore, meaning that they are drastically more expensive. While there are plenty of spaces able to be used for studying, the layout of the university is not ideal, as there is no real organization as to how buildings or departments are organized. Also, athletics are sometimes prioritized above academics, which only increases tuition. Athletes also are sometimes able to get better scholarships than good students at the university, which is designed to be an academic institution. The infrastructure of the university is actually quite terrible, as the university makes students have and maintain several accounts, grading is not unified amongst professors, online student accounts are outdated and often times not user friendly, and the system can be bureaucratic, as it sometimes can be difficult to get a simple answer about enrollment, payment, course requirement fulfillments, etc.

Mackensie

University of Maine is a great school! I have only visited a few times, but I can't wait to be there full time in the fall! Anytime I visit the campus I always feel safe and I feel like even though the campus is large it' s a very close nit community.

Sierra

I honestly love the University of Maine. The academics are challenging but provide opportunity to excel to the best of your ability. There is always something to do and I have met some of the most important people in my life here. The University provides opportunities for internships, study abroad, service and fun. Sporting events are always packed and there is always a smile to be found somewhere. When I was applying to schools the University of Maine was the last school on my list but after being here I couldn't imagine going anywhere else.

Denise

I like attending the University of Maine. I particularly like their animal science program due to the farm that they own. It allows students the hand on experience as well as multiple animal clubs, who wouldn't want to join? I've also had very decent professors, who are very approachable and want to help you learn.

Ethan

It is a great school especially if you are from Maine and enjoy Maine’s many benefits such as it’s fresh air and mountains. There is quite a bit of physical activities that you can do with groups or friends. There is great skiing, hiking, and camping. If you enjoy nature, it’s a great environment to live in. There are so many academic programs and clubs to join and many opportunities to make college worthwhile. It seems like a big campus at first, but you quickly learn your way around the school.

Nola

UMaine was my first choice school, and I've loved every minute of it since being accepted. Everyone is friendly and understanding, and the atmosphere is so accepting. All of the professors really care about what they're doing, and all the students I've talked to feel the same way. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Gordon

It is the flagship college of the Maine system and it lives up to the hype. It is an amazing research college as well as being small enough to get good student to professor ratios. I would recommend this university to any and all prospective students. There is something for every one at UMaine!

Moira

I think the University of Maine is a decent school and you can get a good education for what you end up paying for. There are some things I would definitely like to see less of like the rampant alcohol use on campus or the name of Little Hall but overall, it's decent.

Heather

Love the campus, campus life, professors, and everything they have to offer. Could not picture myself at any other college. The campus is such a home feeling and everything they have to offer will meet your need in interests some how. From so many different classes to choose from, you will be happy with your decisions.

Jaime

The University of Maine is a beautiful college in Maine. It's that sweet spot between a huge southern university and a small town college. At the University of Maine, you can be who you want to be. There are many opportunities on campus including sports, greek life, clubs, and job opportunities. Your college experience is what you make of it. The academics of the University are top notch. There is an array of classes you can take. The staff on campus is very helpful, and with just a phone call you can get your question answered. Everything you need is on campus. The University of Maine feels like a community.

Siaoli

This university has a beautiful campus, no matter what season, and well-sized. There are always activities on and off campus and many people to meet. Professors and teachers are always passionate about what they are teaching because many of them practice what they teach. Classes are difficult, but teachers usually try to help students' understanding.

I absolutely love it here. The class sizes kind of range, some you could have 300 people in lecture halls, and others you could very well be one of 20 to 30 people in a smaller classroom. The staff I have met so far are all extremely friendly. If you put in the effort to got to class and do your homework, they are willing to help you if an issue arises. Overall love it here

Briana

The University of Maine is a great school for people who live in Maine or New England because it offers a lot of financial support for local students. It is not only a great choice financially, it also has a lot of very qualified professors who are held accountable for their performance through student reviews and surveys. The facilities on campus are very well run. The library offers many different opportunities for learning. The bottom floor has a printing facility, a cafe, and an environment where students can work together on group projects. The second floor of the library is for light talking, and whispering while the third floor is meant to be absolutely silent for workers who have trouble focusing. The gym is extremely well stocked with machinery and offers many work out classes that are free to students. There are ample opportunities for kids involved in the arts. The marching band plays at football games, as well as hockey games and is key in boosting moral. There are multiple plays put on and different cabaret opportunities. There are also several levels of sport to choose from ranging from the D1 athletics programs, to club sports and then finally to casual intramural levels. Living situations are fair, the dorms are well sized and come accommodated with a desk, drawers, a closet, and of course a bed. There are several off-campus student housing complexes as well with very high ratings. Umaine is a school where everyone can find a place to be involved and feel like they belong.

The University of Maine is a beautiful school. The campus is absolutely breath taking. Although the campus is quite large it doesn't take very long to get around. Everyone is very nice and friendly. Professors are very approachable and will help you succeed in class. Overall best decision anyone could make.

Amber

The college is a very good school for engineering. If you are looking for an academic focused student group though, this is not the school you would want. The food is not great. The faculty is great and there are plenty of clubs and activities to get involved in.

Andrew

I came to UMaine after attending two other universities in the system to earn a second bachelor's degree. After only a semester at the school, I truly feel like this is not for me. It's the largest university I have attended and I felt like less of a student and more of a number. The smallest class I took had 75 students and none of my instructors knew me by name or even recognized me out of class. I also struggled to befriend any of my classmates because of a difference in age. I am 24 and my classmates were all 18. The academic work and grading policies were the most confusing out of any other University of Maine System school I have attended. There is no consistency in grading criteria. What one instructor considers a B, another might consider a C. The university also has an academic freedom policy that makes for some wacky grade computations, such as one instructor who set the weight of every exam to be dependent on the final exam score, meaning that your exams could be worth anywhere from 16-32% of your grade. I had another instructor who decided at the last minute to disband her grading system and gave everyone points for a project, even if they didn't complete it. There's also clearly a corporate sponsorship going on between the university and Pearson. ALL of my classes required online access code to Pearson products. The university has an excellent library and the the building where the business classes are held is amazing. Other than that, a lot of the non-athletic buildings are in dire need of repair. I am still shocked at how little funding and effort this university puts in improving the academic buildings. It's clear that athletics are valued more than the administration.

Lily

The University of Maine exceeds my expectations. Although it is located in a northern, rural part of the state there is a lot to do on and off campus. The recreation center, trails, and downtown Bangor area are more than enough to keep me busy during weekends. As for classes, they are well sized and the professors seem to genuinely care about how you are doing. Overall, I love it here.

Matthew

When you first look at a college what do you look for? Do you look for a strong academic value? Maybe you look for colleges with a strong athletic foundation. Perhaps you just somewhere with beautiful scenery and plenty to do. Whatever it is you look for in a college I bet you can find it at Univeristy of Maine. Umaine has made me feel so at home in the short time that i've been there. The students and faculty are friendly and always helpful when needed. The campus is its own beautiful community. The dorm halls are always neat and well taken care of. The food is always delicious and healthy but why worry about what you eat when you can work out at Umaine's incredible recreation center. The professors there really reach out to students and make it an easy learning environment. Even if you don't play sports you can always feel free to watch any of Umaine's D1 athletic teams for free. There is a strong Greek life community present that is highly recommended for anyone to try. Umaine has its own police force so you can always feel safe. This campus offers an array of things to do for just about anyone with all the clubs and organizations it has. With the area surrounding the campus offering even more things to do like shop, ski , hunt, and whatever else your heart desires. At first I was intimidated by the sheer size of Umaine but now I can truly say I feel at home on this wonderful campus.

Alexandra

The University of Maine is an average school nationally, but an overall 'good' public school. For in-state students, the money you save going here is worth the lack of prestige and stigma of a party school. There aren't as many resources available for commuters as there are for on-campus students. I would strongly recommend living on campus, at least for the first few years. Many students party, but if you decide to, make sure you're safe about it. Many students overdue it and have to be 'EVAC'd', or taken from a party by the campus ambulance service.

Ezra

University of Maine is a good school for what it is. Everyone knows it's not ivy league or anything, but depending on your major it still can be very difficult. It's also a largely welcoming community. But many students in the dorms are relatively inconsiderate when it comes to noise levels and weed smoke.

Bryan

Great school, the campus is why I fell in love with the school. It's a very nature based school with plenty of on and off campus outdoor activities and recreation. The professors are very active with office hours. There are very few negatives I can say about the school

Silvana

The campus is beautiful and people are nice but I had a lot of problems with paperwork. DIsorganized and far from what I thought I wanted. I wouldn't recommend people go unless you live nearby or want to be a major in electronics. Also, I had a bad experience with a professor and as a freshman that would and can avert student from pursuing their dreams.

Jillian

The school keeps tradition while also providing different perspectives and cultures to be explored all over the campus. There is always a performance or athletic event to attend to keep students busy. There are endless majors, minors, concentrations and courses to be discovered on this campus.

Alan

I'm very satisfied with my choice of college. I thought there would be too many kids from my town going but, you see who you want to see. There are many ways to make new friends. Everyone on campus is eager to help you succeed. UMO has proven to be a very good choice for me.

Jaznel

My overall opinion for the university of Maine is that its a great school to earn your degree. The everyday life a UMO is great people are always socializing. The Greek life at the university is great and really responsible. The sports at UMO are great too not as big as most schools but you definitely get a great vibe from attending the games.

Monica

The University of Maine is a different scenario if you are coming from a city like state. It is very country and has a lot of beautiful scenery and is very different from the culture to the food and even the people. The sports teams are a huge thing to me being that I love football and so do most students so homecoming is something we all definitely look forward to. When it comes to the freshman dorms, I believe it is amazing because you get to make so many friends your first year that you will remember for a lifetime. The campus food is not the best, be careful eating Hilltop and Wells food but York's food is the best of all dining halls and Wells is second best if you don't feel like walking on the other side of campus for York. Greek Life is a huge thing at UMaine we have your nice frat boy houses that many parties are thrown at. Educationally the professors and staff are very intellectual and easy to talk to. I highly recommend going to office hours, where you can build a relationship with the professor as a student and you never know you made a recommendation letter one day. I am only a junior now and I could not be happier even though I am 8 hours away from home I have met wonderful people, taken some very exciting classes, and managed to party. As we say UMaine is definitely the College of Our Heart Always.