Eugene, OR
University of Oregon

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Oregon

Amerissa

Someone who gets easily depressed with rainy weather.

Someone who gets easily depressed with rainy weather.

The most frustrating thing for me so far is that they gave an amount for tuition, but didn't split that equally into trimesters. Now, I'm scrambling to come up with $682 for this term.

Oh, Senior Ami, You don't know nearly as much as you think you know. Allow me to help: you are valuable, loved, and strong. Don't let yourself be consumed by guilt of the past or be worried about things to come. Continue to do everything you love, date the boy who made you cry, and add too many things to your agenda. It'll make you happier, wiser, and a bit more careful in the future. If you ever wonder if you did something hurtful, step up and apologize. If someone has wronged you, tell them and then forgive whether or not it is asked of you. If you are afraid, remember that you are never alone. Remember to be gracious in both victory and defeat. Work harder at everything and take a little longer to enjoy things like districts and state. Yes, dear, you are good enough to go to state. Save money wherever possible. Do those ridiculous college essays and take those AP tests even when you don't want to. Remember to always be thankful even in the bleakest time. I love who you are! Keep on growing up. Have Peace, College Freshman Ami

Yona

I would advise myself to beopen for change. Before arriving into college life I assumed that I knew exactly what pathway my education would take me. However this changed quite quickly. It was difficult but a worthwhile experience. I suppose I would tell myself to expect all the unexpected.

There really is not anything that is the "worst", just certain areas need improvement.

Casey

I dislike the environment and student body. Everyone is a bit too stereotypical and there are way to many students. The school focuses too much on athletics and the food is the typical gross dorm food. Eugene is a really good area, especially for the hipster crowd. It's small, not much to do, but has really good places to eat! I'm transferring out to find a better fit for myself.

They are like any typical college's academics. Some classes are challenging, some extremely easy, and some professors are idiots. It just depends on your class and what level you're in.

Most people are athletes, athlete obsessors, or athlete wannabes. Most students are partiers as well, and the ones that aren't are usually hiding away.

University of Oregon has many different majors to choose from. All the different majors lead to real world work and experiences. Also, the college tries to encompass the surrounding community into it's teachings.

My school plans curriculum that leads the students to their career goals by including marketable competencies that give students real experience.

If I could go back and talk to my high school self I would tell my younger self about finacial aid and how easy it actually is to apply for college. This was some of my barriers to going to college in my past. I had the drive and the brains to do the work, but no one expected me to graduate or to want to go to college. However, college was a life long dream of mine. I did not know that I had only been given part of the directions, or that maybe I should have became more proactive in achieving my dream. That is the past, now I am in college, in part because someone told me about financial aid. This is now what I would like to do: assist others with finding the map to their dreams.

Tanner
Tell us about the food and dining options.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

If you are looking with in the school campus, I would defiantly recommend Big Mouth Burrito, and Fire and Spice. Both of these dining areas are located in Hamilton. Big Mouth Burrito is very similar to a sub shop, but instead they make burritos. Fire and Spice allows you to make your own pasta dish, that you can pile up to the top, as long as it can all fit in the bowl. There are multiple sauces and veggies that you can dress it up with, then the cook that cooks your pasta gives you an option of meat. There are other dining halls as wall, but the others are more of a buffet style, where you pay one price and serve yourself, with the benefit of all you can eat.

What do people really wear to class?

This depends on the term. During Fall--Winter people mostly wear rain coats and sweatshirts. However, unlike fall term the last few weeks of Winter term have sunny days where people usually ware shirts and shorts. Spring term is the term where people dress for the Summer. Although there are periodic rainy days during the Spring, the days are mostly sunny. During this term you see guys in more shirts and shorts, and girls in more shorts and shirts, along with dresses.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

The hardest thing for me was being independent and sharing a room/restroom. I missed seeing my family every day and the familiar surroundings of my neighborhood and home town. The course lode was also much different from high school. Adjusting to the changes was also difficult, but after I did things became much easier.

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

I do think that I have changed, and for the better. My first year I found the College experience and being away from home to be hard and somewhat frightening. However after my two quarters, I found my third quarter to be manageable. My second year of college has been great. Living off campus and having my own room is amazing, and I have the system down. I also feel that because I know my major, I am finding it even more manageable and not overwhelming. I would have to say the biggest change that I went through after my first year at college, and the University of Oregon, was adapting to the different rhythm of college. After getting my system down, I found it to be helpful and less overwhelming.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

I mostly call home every day. This way I feel like I am still there in some why and do not feel as though I am far away or am missing out on something. However when you do call every day, the consecrations might not be as long. I find that if you call once every two days the conversations last longer, and both my family members and I have more to say. But when you feel like you need to call home and talk to someone in your family you should do it.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

I dont drink either, however I also do not go to parties either so I cannot say for sure if there are parties with out alcohol. But when I do venture out into the town at night I notice that all the houses that I pass have alcohol, among other things as well. If you do plan on partying and are trying to avoid houses with alcohol, you will have a difficult time finding one. During the first year of college, when you are staying at the dorms, the dorm housing tries to hold a few parties and dances. But if you plan on going off campus, the schooling has no control over what goes on.

It is a lot different from High School, and do not be discouraged if you are facing difficult times. Every one does when they first leave home, and when they are on their own. Just because everyone looks like they have it all figured out, they don't. They are all in the same boat as you.

The two most talked about groups on campus are the sports groups (football and basketball) and the A Cappella group (On the Rocks). Our athletics are very popular, football being the most popular. On the Rocks play every Friday at 5 at The Fish Bowl, a building at University of Oregon. At the time I am not involved in any groups, however a few of my friends meet every Friday at 4:30 to catch up with each other. The friends I meet with are not those I consider to be my closest friends, however, they are friends who I enjoy to spend my time with. The ones I consider to my my closest friends, when it comes to University of Oregon, are the small group of three from my Dorm. If you live in the dorms, there is a small cafe that is open until 3am. This was a very popular place to go late at night and very early in the morning. Partying happens every weekend, Friday night and Saturday night. Although I do not go to the parties, I hear people laughing and talking quite loudly outside of my apartment. I live off campus and eat out almost every day. The campus town mainly has places to eat, but if you are looking for something outside of the campus town, there is shuttle that you can take, which is free for students.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

People at University of Oregon, form what I have seem, are very in to, as what we like to call their Ducks (sports teams). Our biggest season is our football season. You can always tell when football season has began, and when football games are. Although I am not the biggest sports fan, the school spirit on campus paints a picture of excitement, even if you too are not a sports fan. Even teachers enjoy to talk about our Ducks, and when we are having a good season, the talk increases. Our basketball season is still popular, but not as popular as our football team. However, the new Matt Arena is very nice, which is part of the reason as to why our basketball team/spirit is rising in popularity.

Tell us about your professors.

I have had all positive professors for the most part at University of Oregon. I am a Sociology Major with a concentration in Crime/Justice and Family. So far I have liked all my Sociology teachers. Although big classes seem discouraging, which can have a big effect on the way you view the teachers, it is best to go to their office hours. This way not only do you get to know them better, but they get to know you too. Some professors can seem a bit difficult, and you will probably come across a few during your stay. Form what I have found throughout the courses that I have taken, the professors that seem most caring are the Social Science teachers. However, teachers can come across as great or horrible depending on the subjects you are interested in. Being interested in a subject also plays somewhat of a role in deterring how you view the teacher. In shot though, I have had mostly positive encounters with teachers here at University of Oregon.

I do not know for certain if University of Oregon has a stereotype student body. It is known to hold a lot of international students, and for its crazy sports fans during football season. Most of the talk I hear about University form other students and people outside of the university seem to have accurate information.

Marissa

University of Oregon is very diverse and has students and administration from all sorts of backgrounds. There are so many groups and clubs one can join depending on their background, which allows them to meet students who are similar to them. I don't believe any student could be out of place at this school, because I have seen every kind of person on campus at one point or another. The diversity adds character to the university and allows for people to learn about different kinds of students. Though most students are from Oregon or California, there are many students from all over the nation and all over the world. Last year one of my roommates was from China and the other from England, and this year I have a different roommate from China, which shows how common exchange students are here.

Academics at the school can be easy or challenging, depending on the course. Since I am double majoring in biology and human physiology, my workload is tremendous and my classes are quite difficult. I am glad there is free help for math and writing on campus, because it is very useful since I can't afford a tutor and don't have a lot of time for one. The professors I have had thus far have all been very kind to the students, and I can always tell that they have a passion for teaching. Professors will make time for you outside of class if necessary, because they want students to perform well and understand the material.

The stereotype of students at the University Oregon are that they are very kind, laid back, and a good amount of them are stoners. Eugene, Oregon is popular for marijuana usage, and from my observations, the stereotype of students being stoners is pretty accurate. I also believe that the students are kind and laid back, as previously mentioned. People always hold doors open for others, smile and say hello to strangers, and don't cause drama (for the most part).

William

The University of Oregon is an all around great place to be. The faculty on campus are always friendly and helpful. It is the perfect size college town, with a campus that is large enough that it does not seem cramped but not so large that it takes too long to walk to the other side of campus. Being located in the Pacific Northwest, there are plenty of rainy days. It would be nice to have a few more days of sunshine throughout the year but if rain is not a huge concern it is an amazing place to be. There is always something to do here; from the popular sporting events to weekly parties. Campus is also located close to downtown Eugene which allows access to even more things to do throughout the week. University of Oregon takes pride in who they are, if you want a school with tons of school pride this is the place to be!

University of Oregon takes pride in the high level of academic success is achieves. The Business program is among the top ranked business school in the country. Many students also come here for Journalism school that can get you started in any area of communication. The classes range from large student lectures to smaller, first-name-basis classes. The professors are always willing to meet with students and help out in any way they can. There is a large variety of classes that can be taken from the basic major classes to some of the more odd-ball classes like Tarot-card reading! There is always an interesting class to take that fits peoples individual interests. There are also many connections that can be made at the University for success post-graduation through internships, company interests, and personal connections that can be made

Leila

This school is a great place to be. The campus is so lively and well taken care of. School spirit prevails at all times, but students take their academics seriously. Everyone is here to have fun while getting a good education. It keeps a healthy balance between the two, and there are many opportunities to get involved in school and the community. Also, the location is convenient, and only 2 hours away from Portland, OR! The professors are amazing and I feel like I am learning a lot. When I first applied for colleges, University of Oregon was on the bottom of my list. Around April, something drastically changed my mind after visiting with professors and visiting the campus and soon it became the only school I wanted to attend. It has been the best choice I have ever made. University of Oregon is the place to be.

What do people really wear to class?

People wear casual clothing. Jeans, tee-shirts, sneakers, etc. Some girls wear dresses or skirts on occasion, but for the most part its jeans/pants, tee shirts, sweatshirts, and sneakers.

What's the dating scene like?

Lots of people on campus date. However, it isn't as big of a deal as in most high schools. There isn't drama that forms around it as much. Its pretty much you are dating someone, but not everyone needs to know about it. Not as much PDA as high school. But lots of people are in relationships.

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

Not really. I feel like I'm still the same person, just now around people that like me better. I might have become more mature, but that is just part of growing up. I have not changed for the most part.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

Phone home as much as you feel appropriate. Most students start off similar to once a day and eventually get to a point where its once a week, or maybe just a text message once a day and a phone call once a week. I typically call once a week, but its not set in stone. Just whenever I feel like I should call. And I always text so that my parents know I'm doing well.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

I don't drink either. I go to parties sometimes. I don't always find them to be the best night I've ever had, but its not bad. Sometimes, some funny stories come out of it too. You'll be surprised how many people do not drink. Don't worry, you are not alone. Drinking or not, if you find the right people, you'll have fun at a party. :)

I wish someone had told me that it is not as hard as people make it out to be. I was always told that I was going to die my freshman year, especially with two majors. However, it really has not been all that difficult, and I still have plenty of free time while taking on average 20 credits a term.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

For sports, football is prevalent. Everyone loves football. The other sports are well recognized too, but football is mainly what draws the crowds.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Most people go to the libraries or into some of the buildings. However, I find that the best study places are off campus. I go to a restaurant at least two blocks away from campus when I really need to study and it usually provides as a quiet study space that no one comes into. Everyone just needs to find their own space, and then don't tell anyone so nobody will bother you when you study.

Describe a typical weekend.

For most people, a typical weekend involves a party, hanging out with friends, studying for classes/doing homework, and just chilling. Some people work out, hang out at pools in the spring time, or go to social events or academic group meetings. Sometimes, people will go hang out at the beach or shred the slopes up at the mountain. Some people spend the weekend in Portland, which is a big city 2 hours north of Eugene. Most people keep things interesting. Hiking, biking, and anything outdoors is something you will see in Eugene. :)

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

First day of school and first day of classes. Going in was an amazing experience and getting to know everyone and becoming welcomed into the departments was a great feeling.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

This school is fun environment with a perfect balance of academics, social life, and community involvement. All the students and faculty are friendly and its a very positive and motivating environment. The campus is well maintained and beautiful all year round.

Our campus is unique in the fact that it is kept very green all year round and is extremely beautiful. The climate of Oregon helps out with this a lot. Oregon is beautiful all year round and the proper care of the campus reflects this a lot.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Off campus, you see normal people in Eugene. Student life is still very active and the community shows school spirit, but its like real life outside of campus. Very cool :)

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to this school because of the new addition to the Percussion Faculty, Mr. Pius Cheung. He is a phenomenal instructor and the main reason I decided to attend the University of Oregon.

The most popular student groups involve student government, student safety, and saving the environment. Eugene is a very environmentally conscious place to be, and safety is their number one priority for students on and off campus.

The academic learning style varies by class. Some classes are like a high school setting, with no more than 30 in the classroom and the teacher knows who you are. Other classes are giant lecture halls and the teacher may not even know your face. Either way, the quality of education is excellent. Students are fairly competitive, but ultimately people are there for the knowledge rather than the grades.

Most students fit into groups with their majors. People intermingle, but most people become friends and join in the groups with the people they are around all the time. Each group has their own style and different benefits.

Destin

Anyone who is not stuck on the big city lifestyle.

Anyone who is not stuck on the big city lifestyle.

If I could've given myself advice when I was a senior in high school, I would of told my self to have a good senior year academically. If you finish high school with a high GPA, you will have a lot of options going into college. It would allow you to pick from a multitude of different universities across the country and apply for many different scholarships. I would've also told myself to make sure you pick a college that provides the best environment for you to succeed. It doesn't matter how academically strong you are, if you can't picture or imagine yourself living in that particular city or walking that campus, then you will have a miserable college experience. I would make sure that you are comfortable with the environment your gonna be in for the next four to five years.

How a little rain weeks at a time can put a damper on enjoying the outdoors

Addison

In most of my classes, my professors know my name, which is rare on a college campus as large as ours. I love our classes because we have a little bit of everything in terms of class size. There are 500 people lecture classes, Medium size classes containing about 75 kids, and smaller classes with 25 people. Because of this,, you really have the ability to choose what route you want to take and which classes you feel comfortable taking. Class participation is very common, and expected in classes as participation usually counts toward your grade. In addition, studying is a must at UO especially since we are on a quarter system. It always seems that right when you are getting comfortable in a class, it is time for finals! It is a fast paced class schedule that takes some getting use to, but as long as you keep up on your studying, it will should never get too overwhelming. UO really takes initiative in getting you ready for the real world. I am getting a Bachelor of Arts which requires two years of a language. Although some people don't like this aspect, it really prepares you for the outside world. In addition to language, all of the additional graduation requirements really prepare you, and force you to look into other aspects of education that you might not otherwise do. I really enjoy this because I am learning so much in not only my major, but other areas as well. UO is a great school, who pushed their students to ask question, learn, and branch out into areas you might not have ever thought. Through my education here, I have gained a stronger interest in the world around me.

A lot of people think University of Oregon is filled with stoners. Although there is some of that around, it is not as prevalent as people believe. There are so many people that go here that have never even smoked in their life! There are places you can go or people you can hang out that aren't involved in smoking. In addition, people that do smoke rarely pressure other kids into doing it. If you don't smoke, no one judges you or thinks differently about you. Oregon is really accepting of all types of people!

University of Oregon administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.