Eugene, OR
University of Oregon

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Oregon

Alex

The best thing about UO is definitely our campus, looking out my window right now on to Hayward Field, all of our truly unique buildings, lush lawns and art works make our campus truly unique. The University of Oregon is situated in really an idyllic town for a college, large enough to offer things to do on our free time, yet small enough to be reminiscent of a neighborhood.

UO is definitely a politically active campus, with numerous political party and political activist groups on campus.

No, not at all. UO is not just a single group of people, our school is extremely diverse. Having groups of students from the business field to psychology, we have it all and are represented by these different groups on campus.

Being from the business school, yes students are competitive, trying to keep ahead of the class average is definitely part of the fun. All of our classes encourage communication within the class, but I think my personal favorite class would be Management 335- Launching New Ventures with Sam Holloway. This class, is awesome, great atmosphere and you are guaranteed to learn a ton!

A group I am involved with is the UO American Marketing Association, we are a group of professional marketers and the only marketing club on campus to date. UO AMA prides itself on offering real word marketing, in that we not only have guest speakers, but we actually promote and gain sponsorship dollars for a few events throughout the year to give our members actually experience.

Growing up closer to OSU rather than UO, my family always refered to UO as the "hippy school"

Jesse

The best think about the UO are the advantages of a large research university, but in the small intimate setting of a great college town. No matter what your major you can be involved in different academic areas all across campus, in whatever interests you. The campus is amazing! I've never felt overwhelmed or "lost in the crowd" at UO. It's the perfect small "big university".

Lot's of diversity and tolerance here at UO! Basically a group or club for anybody with any interest. Ranging from more traditional interests like College Democrats or Republicans, or Christian groups, to more liberal or eccentric groups like LGBT and PETA. There's something for everyone! Not a lot of racial diversity, but state universities usually reflect the population of the state their located in, and Oregon is mostly Caucasion. However, we represent students from all 50 states and internationally!

UO has such a great feeling when you're on campus...most students decide to attend the UO after they visit the campus because they loved campus so much!

Nope! The population of hippies is definitely here, but it's a part of the Eugene culture, not a reflection of the student body. UO is a school where students definitely want to achieve academically, so partying is prevelant on the weekends, but rarely anywhere in between. During Dead and Finals Weeks hardly anything is going on...everyone is in the library!

Like any larger university, lower division classes are usually larger because students need to take general education classes. But once you begin your major upper division classes the sizes are great. My classes are largest at 40 students, but mostly less. Even the most popular majors have classes smaller then 60 students in the upper division courses. Professors are great most of the time!

Club sports are incredibly popular, and we have many National Championship teams. Intramurals are a great way for students to still play their favorite sports in a laid back setting against other students. NCAA sports are very popluar, we love our FOOOTBALL!!! During the fall and winter, football and basketball are huge social events, and tailgating on football Saturdays is an all day event.

That UO is a hippie school in a very liberal city. That UO is a major party school where everyone smokes pot.

Whitney

There is no single best thing about the UO, instead thousands of good things come together to make the UO what it is. The campus is incredibly beautiful and a walk can be inspirational to even the best procrastinators. The lush campus is nestled right into the bustling city of Eugene. Although its a bustling city, Eugene emits a certain feeling that everything will be alright. Nothing is rushed and everybody is super relaxed. The university has wonderful facilities for students to pass the time, and there are several incredible outdoor opportunities. The beautiful cascade mountains, abundant wilderness, raging rivers, and pristine coast all offer memorable excursions from campus. The university has several student run organizations which make getting involved super easy. There is a student art guild in the EMU offering everything from glass blowing to welding to a complete woodworking shop. The biggest source of complaint is the lousy dorms.

Anything goes here at UO. In any given class a dread locked hippy maybe seated next to the most uptight designer sorority girl, and both can be engaged in deep intellectual conversations. About half of the students seem to be from instate, with the others coming from all over the nation, but mostly western states. Students are very politically active and aware, predominantly liberal.

The school has an inflated reputation of being dread locked. Although there certainly are a lot of outspoken and colorful hippies, there are also tons of clean cut regular students. At a school this large, there is a diverse representation of all types of people. The reputation of dope smoking is accurate, we are a very NORML student body. After all, everything in Oregon is greener.

I have actually been engaged by my classes. The feeling of excitement to learn is new to me. My classes have actually turned me onto much more than I ever expected.

Club sports and intramural sports are very popular, we are a very active campus. The dorms are great places to meet friends, my entire hall is a close knit community, doors are always open and bong always in circulation. We part hard all the time, but on individual terms. Greek life is present, but by no means dominates the social scene. Last weekend i went to a benefit party hosted by the Campbell Club-- a student run housing co-op. On any given Saturday night there are concerts downtown as well as university sponsored events, nothing requires drinking.

People seem to think that the University of Oregon is full of dope smoking barefooted long hairs eating organic granola.

Toby

The abundance of costume parties and beazies. The Beazies. The school is just right. They usually figure I'm a liberal hippie douchebag. I spend most of my time on campus not going to class. College town (Eugene OR). The administration is tight by me, but Greg Gill is an asshole (lookout freshmen in the dorms). The senate is full of a bunch of bitches. School pride is prevalent in the air that each duck breathes. The UO's Greek life isn't very big, but they still ruin all of the local bars. I'll always remember trippin' on acid mid-day in the Fall on the Knight lawn. Class isn't cancelled enough.

Least diverse campus in the nation, enough said. Religion exists at the U of O? Gays are welcomed adored and loved in the Euge. no one can really tell who's rich and who's just a drunk or a hippie until they get in their car. A conservative. Most students are from Oregon (mainly Portland and Southern Oregon). Mostly upper-middle class students. Students are very politically aware and sometimes active (there were riots here and there is an anarchist group that blows up car dealerships here). Predominately indifferent or liberal. No, never.

The University of Oregon is a great place to go to school if you like Nike enough to go to a public school owned by Phil Knight. (Founder of Nike)....It's true, his name is EVERYWHERE.

Maybe not everywhere...but if you have a working nose you can find some.

I think it depends on the size of the class (under 30, yes...otherwise only if you are that annoying bitch who asks the dumbest question of the day every day). Honestly, yes and quite a lot. Not really. Butterfly catching. I'm an undeclared junior (hells yeah). Once, awkward... They're tight by me. learning for learning's sake.

Jeff

-Best thing: The area surrounding the college makes for a nice small-town feel and I am always really comfortable on campus. I also love the activism that goes on both locally aimed and globally aimed. It's great to see so many people in the community advocating for what they believe in. -Change: I wish they'd get a more well established pre-health advisory program -School is just the right size. -Most people aren't surprised since it is one of two major universities in Oregon. -Most of my time is spent on campus in class, or in the three libraries of my choice (Law, Science, Standard) -COLLEGE TOWN -Definitely a lot of school pride. I'm proud...

Definitely a lot of social activism on campus. Some is a bit outrageous, but for the most part people are respectful. One time, there was a religious movement protesting abortion and they showed dead fetuses and connected the brutality to the Holocaust. I thought that was extremely ignorant and full of misrepresentation. I have met so many different people since coming here, I feel like it has affected me positively. I enjoy diversity and I feel like UO has some, but could be better. On the other hand, I think you can find it if you really want to. Most students tend to be from Portland area, or Eugene.

Cafe Siena and Espresso Roma (right off campus) are my reason for living and my motivation to graduate.

Who knows, I haven't met everyone on campus.

The faculty in my program is amazing and I feel grateful for all the awesome and student-focused professors I have had. It's difficult to pinpoint a favorite class because I always love the class that I most recently took. Class participation is very common, especially in my upper level classes which tend to be smaller. Student's are competitive, but we all help each other out as well. You won't find someone trying to sabotage another's grade by giving them the wrong notes or something. My chief complaint is my advising department. I feel like the amount of time that I have spent figuring out how to complete my major with the emphasis and the minors that I want has been totally in my hands, and I have received no useful help from my advising department. In fact, I've never even seen my department academic adviser before. Overall, this major is great and the classes and professors are top notch, but I would like to see improvement in the advising department.

Most students leave their doors open, except for the token hall hermits. Athletic events are popular always, especially this year. Not too big on the dating scene, wish I had more time. My closest friends came from high school and the hall that I lived in freshman year. Also, I have formed some pretty strong bonds through my major. I am always awake Tuesday at 2 am becuase it's always the night that I am completing an epic biochemistry assignment thats due the next day! Parties are easy to come by, but not always fun. Last weekend I stayed in like I have every weekend so far, I'm a little bitter about it. But aside from this term I usually find at least one night to go out or do something other than study. On Saturdays, I usually just chill out at the house with the roommates.

Many people think that UO is primarily hippies and liberals. They may be right...

Josey

I love how UO is 20,000 people so you meet new people everyday, but small enough that when you are walking to class you recognize and say hi to few people. If i could change one thing I would make art classes easier to get into for non art majors. UO is just the right size.People who know the journalism program no that its one of the highest rated programs... I went George Washington University my first year an i know some people that if you don't go to a fancy college like that they think you aren't challenging yourself. I spend the most time in the journalism computer lab. Eugene is small, but i like it. Good food and shops. Beautiful when its sunny and you have a bike. Don't really know much about the administration. There is lots of school pride in some groups... usually the non-hippies- especially during football season.

somewhat. Lots of hipsters, great clothes, fixed gear bikes, strong organic coffee

3 out of my 5 professors this term know my name. I love my oceanography, we get to watch deep blue. My journalism class is really hard...you get an automatic F for any spelling commas, or fact errors on any assignment. I study about 2 hours a night. Class participation is common depending on the class... more class participation in a literature class.... very little in a huge lecture. Yea we have intellectual conversations outside of class. My roommate took a tree identification class.

Lee

I absolutely hate the city of Eugene. The locals are absolutely crazy and there isn't a ton to do off campus. It's also very difficult to find a job if you don't have a work-study. I love campus during the warm months. It's so nice to lay in the grass and study. There is a ton of school pride. Everyone loves the ducks. Even if you're not a big sports fan you still wear your green and yellow. Football games are intense and bring the whole student body together.

About 99% of the student body is middle to upper class and moderate to very liberal. There are a few gays and the student body is very accepting of all sexual orientations. Most students don't dress up to go to class. Many are in sweatpants and look like they just rolled out of bed. The beginning of my freshman year a group of girls from LA all wore their heels to class for about a week but that was about as dressy as it got. The vast majority of students are from the Portland area, followed by California and Seattle. The only real cliques formed are the Greeks and the jocks. Other than that there are groups of friends from class and and dorms. Since UO tends to be so liberal it's kind of difficult to take the conservative stance. I'm a Democrat and also pro-life. Last year I spoke up about that in one of my classes and everyone rolled their eyes or started shouting at me I eventually just said I didn't have anything else to add and sat silently while they bounced ideas they all agreed with off of one another. I left UO after one year because it felt too much like high school. Two hundred fifty kids from my graduating high school class attended and three girls and a boy were in my building of forty five rooms. You may hear "It's such a big campus, you'll never see anyone you know" but that isn't true. Everyone from out-of-state absolutely loves it though. Most students are pretty relaxed when it comes to academics. Most are driven to earn B's, not A's and most aren't very career minded, at least not yet.

Mostly no, I know plenty of people who don't do drugs. Just about everyone does drink though, but compared other college visits, not nearly as much as some of them.

One thing I would change is the class sizes. Lectures are huge, it's very intimidating to ask a question when the entire class groans at you. It's also very intimidating to go to office hours half way through the term with a question if the professor doesn't even recognize your face. When you do though, they are very happy to see you so that feeling disappears within a few seconds. If you're not very outgoing it can be difficult to make friends and do well in class. My favorite class and most unique class was the Philosophy of Love and Sex. The professor was very engaging and presented many arguments about topics I'd never even thought of.

There is not a whole lot to do on a Saturday night if you're not drinking. It can be very difficult to find a party if you're not in the Greek system.

Everyone smokes pot and no one goes to class.

I like the size of the school. I wish there was more funding for certain programs, like English. I wish I didn't have to pay for printing (business majors don't because Phil Knight gives them shitloads of money). I spend most of my time at Cafe Roma, when I'm not in class. They have good, strong coffee and a nice smoking porch.

I can't think of anyone who would be out of place at the UO. It's pretty diverse. Most students dress casually, but some dress to impress. Some people wear sweats. It's legal to go topless in Eugene, and I've seen a couple people do that as well. I think UO students generally lean to the left politically, but there are exceptions.

Somewhat, but at the UO there is a lot of diversity. Not a hippie school by any means, so if that's what you're looking for, go to Berkeley.

Some of my professors know my name. I think once you get into upper division work you know your professors pretty well, but in huge introductory lecture classes you are pretty anonymous. My favorite class is Biblical Hebrew. My least favorite classes were anything to do with business.

Everybody is pretty wild about football and basketball. People party a lot. If you wanted to do something that doesn't involve drinking you could go see an indie film at the Bijou, go to a show at the Campbell Club or the WOW hall, or go out to dinner. There are some good restaurants in town.

I don't know about the UO specifically, but I Eugene is definitely stereotyped as a hippie town.

Jack

The school size is great. You can stand out, get to know a small group of teachers or students if you want. Or if you're just into taking big lecture classes and not being bothered by all that, you can find that here too. It's a nice middle road.

The LGBT community is SMALL. Granted, because it's a university campus it's bigger than smaller towns, but it's nowhere near as diverse as it should be. In spite of this, the LGBTQA seems like a good enough group for networking and support, though I've never actually been associated with it. Wear what you want to class. If you don't care, professors probably won't. Students here seem mostly politically left to moderate, but as a result, those who are to the right are extremely to the right. Do students talk about how much they'll earn one day? You're bound to find a bunch who do in Lillis. But that's the exception rather than the rule.

Bottom line: U of O is all about what you make out of it. There isn't anything inherent in the university that will make you have a good time or a bad time. It's a cool enough place to learn what you want to learn and meet who you want to meet. Could be better, but it's not too bad a place.

Well, there ARE a lot of hippies and greeks. But I think it's just because they're the most visible on campus.

If you can get into it, take the American Sign Language sequence for your two years of foreign language credit. It's an eye-opening, inspiring experience with a teacher who feels passion about her subject and genuine care for her students. I learned about a brand new culture I didn't even knew existed before I took the class and you get to learn about issues that are going on here and now. You may not be able to get into ASL101 your first fall term here, but wait around. It'll be worth it.

It seems that fraternities and sororities are REALLY important to the people who are actually in fraternities and sororities. But you can make your own friends and have a good life without ever going near them. But if you're into greek life, that's cool too. There are some good opportunities in them, but you run the risk of being stereotyped as the typical frat guy or sorority girl.

It seems like at first glance you only run in to hippies of frat guys/sorority girls. It takes a little more looking, but then you find some people more in the middle.

Since I come from a small town, everyone seems pretty surprised that I didn't choose OSU instead. In very general terms, OSU is a more rural farming school while UO is on the opposite side of the spectrum. But it is an interesting learning experience.

If you are conservative, be prepared to not agree with a lot of people. But its not too bad. I guess I understand other points of view a little better.

Well, some people fit this stereotype pretty well. Things around campus do seem to favor the liberal point of view. The majority of the student body aren't hippees, haha. But there are a few interesting ones...

The academics are pretty rigorous. But I am sure they are at most colleges. No the professors don't know your name unless you make an effort to attend their office hours numerous times and talk to them on your own. The teaching assistants and the GTF's though, are encouraged to learn your names and it isn't hard to get one on one help with your classes. I think a lot of the classes I take seem unneccesary to complete my major, but I think that they want students to really have a variety.

Basically that everyone is a very liberal hippee.

University of Oregon administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.