Hattiesburg, MS
University of Southern Mississippi

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Southern Mississippi

Keri

I am currently in the nursing program at USM, and I find it convenient and unique that they are getting an anesthesia program. This is the first school in the state of Mississippi to get this program. I am excited because I plan to furthur my studies in this particular program, and I am excited that I do not have to go out of the state of Ms.

Lynyrd Skynyrd produced a song many years ago called "Simple Man". What does this particular song have to do with anything? "Simple Man" has a line in the first verse that reads, "Oh, take your time... Don't live too fast". I would certainly go back and tell my hardheaded seventeen-year-old self to unquestionably take in those words. We never listen to our elders that tell us that life passes by quickly; I know I never did. I thought they did not know what they were talking about, and time passes by so slow. I wanted to grow up so fast, finish high school, speed through college, and be an adult. Now all I want to do is get those high school years back and enjoy every single day like it was my last. My senior year I wanted to get out of high school as fast as possible because I thought life became easier as approaching adulthood; unfortunately, I was very wrong. Life only happens once, and it does pass by very quickly and only gets harder. I would have no doubt told myself, "Take your time, and do not live too fast."

I believe anyone could/should attend this school . The University of Southern Miss specializes in many majors, and it is a wonderful college with broad studies. The only area I know they do not cover is Engineering. However, everyone should go to college so I would not discourage any type of person from going to USM.

tareema

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior the advice I would give myself is that high school are mostly your best years in life. There are times when you want to have fun but as well as times when you have to buckle down and do what you have to do. Make yourself for extracurricular activities and make sure your gpa gets to its highest point. There are very different challenges in college and you need to be ready for it. College is when you realize what life is like on your own but in the other hand you have people who can help you in different ways. Make sure you apply for alot of scholarships belive me college is not cheap at all. It may be hard trying to balance college life , party life , friends and family on a pedestal but it will be all worth it once your on that stage on graduation day with your family in the crowd screaming your name because you did it remember that. Your teachers, family or friends didnt do it but you achieved your goal and ready to move forward with life.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school is if they are not willing to work hard to achieve their goals. Every thing does not come easy at southern miss or for any school at that you just have to work hard to achieve what you want in life period.

The things I brag about when I tell my friends about my school is that my school is very affordable. They are very helpful in any way you need them to help. They make sure your set to complete the school year. As well as having the going away experience you want or need , they have on campus and off campus housing which benefits you in many ways. Its good to live on campus because those students are more likely to succeed but off campus housing is just as good as on campus. Going to my school is worth it.

Robin

Do not worry about money, about grades, or about making friends. Once you are in college those things figure themselves out. There will be many ways to work out financial issues and the school work will fall into place. There are tons of people that are going through the same things as you are about to be. Freshman with no friends or family close by are all around you. Friends will come easily if you just relax and be yourself. Most importantly, you are more prepared for college than you think. Up until now teachers told you the worst case senarios to scare you into preparing yourself. Sure, you will miss your parents and old friends, but the new experiences heading your way are worth it. Your new found freedom will be a great experience and help you to grow into a better person. So overall, dont stress about the little things, be yourself, and live it up! College is meant to be the greatest time of your life!

I wish that I had known not to stress over school work too much. I was nervous that the classes were going to be huge and that the professors did not care about the students, but they professors did everything in their power to help out each and every student.

The worst thing about my school would have to be the limited parking. There is plenty of parking for the students who don't live on campus, but not so much for us students who actually live on campus.

Nitayuna

I would really encourage myself to actually learn the material instead of trying to remember it. It's a big difference. I would also say that in high school you played around but in college you have a lot on your hand and you have to know how to mange it. You might want to party, but dont wake up to go to class, which is not a good thing. Always go to class and do the best you can do. I would also advise myself to make a lot of friends and get into study groups. I would make sure that i would apply for scholarships all year around, cause thats when you need money the most. In college you are going to want to do this and that, but you are not able to because of financial problems. God, family, and Education , nothing else matters. The Hardest job is the Best job. Working hard for what you want and making everybody proud is the best feeling anybody can have. Love yourself and dont try to be nobody else.. Only God can judge you and thats the only one that matter.

I wish i had known that it would be that hard to find a job on campus..

Worst thing on my campus is when some of the diversity groups dont like to mingle with other groups. Its 2012 and things has to change, but some people will never change.

Victoria

I would have told myself to try to perfom better academic wise. I would also tell myself to go to school more to learn what they were teaching at the time.

I wish I would have known that I was not going to have a good time there or have my time waisted with the classes I take.

Matthew

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior I would tell myself to stay focused and stay on the right path so that I would not end up failing classes or fall behind. I would also tell myself that if you have a chance to get out of your hometown, then do it, because there are endless possibilities and opportunities for you, just open your mind about things. I would also tell myself to go out and meet new people and stop living in the past because if you live your life looking through the rearview you just might crash in the future. Also that you need to break out of your old life so you can figure out who you are, go out and be who you want to be and do not be held back by labels that people place on you because no matter what people say they are not the person living your life. Do not let any more opportunities pass you by, even if it seems like nothing, chase it.

Lanette

The University of Southern Mississippi has wonderful healthcare programs. I chose the university, because I wanted to be a Medical Technologist and USM had the best program.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to enjoy the summer before going to college. I did not realize that once I started college, I would be occupied for almost five years. I would have also told myself to stop stressing. College will take care of itself. I did not need to stress about how school would be. I needed to just enjoy life and embrace the newness of college life.

When I completed college, I had a job waiting. Organizations know that if you graduate from USM, you have an excellent education. USM offered both academic and extracurricular activites.

Jalecia

My school has flaws like any other school, yet and still they are unique in their own way and I do not at all regret coming here.

There are many thing I would say if I could go back to high school an advise myself. I would definitely take high school more seriously and apply for many more scholarship than I did. Also I would be more active on different committees such as, Student Government Association and the Year Book Staff. If I would have been on either of those committees I would have skills in that area and I could incorporate them in my college life. However, my most important message would be take advantage of every opportunity, because the credentials that you learn will determine your future.

Sometimes the most frustrating thing at this school could be not being able to actually afford school, yet you still return each semester hoping that you recieve a grant or scholarship. Another thing could be the cafeteria food, and their lack of variety food choices. Furthermore, school itself can become frustrating because of shool work and sometimes the lack of a social life.

Brian

USM is a welcoming environment with affordable tuition. Also known as a great university for the sciences, which as a Pre-Veterinary Medicine student is invaluable. Campus is beautiful, Hattiesburg area is affordable to live in while studying.

Do it right the first time. Finish school the first go-around. Studying, not partying is the true path to success. Don't waste years chasing silly ideas thinking somehow it will be ok. It won't. Retirement comes up fast, and then it is too late. Living on Social Security isn't a happy retirement, it is a poor way to spend the last years of your life.

I haven't really run into anything that is frustrating at Southern Miss, except for their method for instruction in mathematics. You do not get to have a regular class despite paying tuition for it; rather, you are relegated to taking an online course in the "Math Zone." You get zero feedback, and help is available in the form of a instructor roaming the Zone but try flagging down an instructor while vying with a couple hundred other students that are also asking for help. It is a travesty.

Leopoldo

Concentrate on your studies. Sports is a long shot and most people do not make a career out of it. Obtain the highest GPA possible and aim for the stars. Everything is possible and the world is open to you.

University of Southern Mississippi administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.