Hattiesburg, MS
University of Southern Mississippi

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Southern Mississippi

Matthew

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior I would tell myself to stay focused and stay on the right path so that I would not end up failing classes or fall behind. I would also tell myself that if you have a chance to get out of your hometown, then do it, because there are endless possibilities and opportunities for you, just open your mind about things. I would also tell myself to go out and meet new people and stop living in the past because if you live your life looking through the rearview you just might crash in the future. Also that you need to break out of your old life so you can figure out who you are, go out and be who you want to be and do not be held back by labels that people place on you because no matter what people say they are not the person living your life. Do not let any more opportunities pass you by, even if it seems like nothing, chase it.

Lanette

The University of Southern Mississippi has wonderful healthcare programs. I chose the university, because I wanted to be a Medical Technologist and USM had the best program.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to enjoy the summer before going to college. I did not realize that once I started college, I would be occupied for almost five years. I would have also told myself to stop stressing. College will take care of itself. I did not need to stress about how school would be. I needed to just enjoy life and embrace the newness of college life.

When I completed college, I had a job waiting. Organizations know that if you graduate from USM, you have an excellent education. USM offered both academic and extracurricular activites.

Jalecia

My school has flaws like any other school, yet and still they are unique in their own way and I do not at all regret coming here.

There are many thing I would say if I could go back to high school an advise myself. I would definitely take high school more seriously and apply for many more scholarship than I did. Also I would be more active on different committees such as, Student Government Association and the Year Book Staff. If I would have been on either of those committees I would have skills in that area and I could incorporate them in my college life. However, my most important message would be take advantage of every opportunity, because the credentials that you learn will determine your future.

Sometimes the most frustrating thing at this school could be not being able to actually afford school, yet you still return each semester hoping that you recieve a grant or scholarship. Another thing could be the cafeteria food, and their lack of variety food choices. Furthermore, school itself can become frustrating because of shool work and sometimes the lack of a social life.

Brian

USM is a welcoming environment with affordable tuition. Also known as a great university for the sciences, which as a Pre-Veterinary Medicine student is invaluable. Campus is beautiful, Hattiesburg area is affordable to live in while studying.

Do it right the first time. Finish school the first go-around. Studying, not partying is the true path to success. Don't waste years chasing silly ideas thinking somehow it will be ok. It won't. Retirement comes up fast, and then it is too late. Living on Social Security isn't a happy retirement, it is a poor way to spend the last years of your life.

I haven't really run into anything that is frustrating at Southern Miss, except for their method for instruction in mathematics. You do not get to have a regular class despite paying tuition for it; rather, you are relegated to taking an online course in the "Math Zone." You get zero feedback, and help is available in the form of a instructor roaming the Zone but try flagging down an instructor while vying with a couple hundred other students that are also asking for help. It is a travesty.

Leopoldo

Concentrate on your studies. Sports is a long shot and most people do not make a career out of it. Obtain the highest GPA possible and aim for the stars. Everything is possible and the world is open to you.

Ellen

The biggest advice I would give myself is to be more focused on my future and less on people or friends. I think that so many students have too much fun and end up failing, getting behind in classes, or drop out because of choices made. College is to gain independence and have fun. However, there is such a thing as too much fun. When I began to buckle down and focus, I started to excel receiving scholarships, opportunities for jobs, and finishing college with a brighter future. Every student attends college with many different goals, ideas, and opportunities. However, it is what we do with those choices that makes us who we are.

The professors were among the best things about my school. Professors at USM were extremely helpful when needed. However, they were challenging at the same token. These professors pushed us to the extreme to be the best, most successful musicians we wanted to be. If we were students who were extremely competitive, then they gave us the tools to work toward those goals. Professors were awesome about bringing people in who were "celebrities", according to our major, to teach us to be more than we could be. Additionally, we learned more skills to take with us into the real world.

The person who shouldn't attend this school possesses a lack of work ethic. USM is a fun, yet highly competitive campus. I was a music performance major and had to continually struggle to stay with the top group of students in my department. However, I was a much better musician with awesome skills when I finished.

Crystal

The University of Southern Mississippi is very diverse; you honestly might see a new face every day.

Listen high school self, college is harder than you think! Stop focusing so much on high school relationships and popularity. Do not alter your schedule in order to be in classes with your friends. Take the Honors and AP classes instead of settling for a remedial schedule. You need to start applying for scholarships now. Insead of going out and parting so much, study harder so you can pull up your GPA and those ACT scores. Oh yeah, give your english teacher a big hug; paying attention in her class actually pays off!

The worst thing about USM is the cost of tuiton, dorms, and books!

William

My current classmates are young and nieve.

My current classmates are young and nieve.

My school is beautiful with an atmosphere that welcomes everyone.

My advice to my high school self would be several things. First, God has a plan for your life and he is in control. Don't try to do everything your way, trust in him and he will guide you. Next, your friends and family will always be there for you, when you are down and life is beating you up turn to them and they can help guide you. Being yourself is the best thing you can be. You care for everyone around you and that is what makes you, you. Anyone that tells you that there is something wrong with that, they are wrong. Many people will try to drag you down with them but your faith, friends, family and love will be your guiding light. Finally, one day you will have a child and you will love that child with all of your heart. Set an example for her now and show her that love and determination will get you everything you will ever need. Money really doesn't buy happiness but true love is the greatest treasure in the world.

Saydi

The University of Southern Mississippi is a wonderful school with beautiful surroundings. The cost is slightly high even with the FASFA help. My college is great and the professors dearly care about the students as individuals. It is a pleasure to attend class and learn. I attend all sporting events which are free to all University Students with an ID Card. I would recommend this college to anyone who wanted to feel safe. People from Mississippi are very courteous on campus. I take great pride in knowing that I will be a future graduate of USM. Sincerely, #1 USM Fan

Our school is best known for football games, but also love to attend baseball and basketball games. As you tour the campus or even the town, you will see numerous GO GOLD!! signs that give great spirit to the campus. Go USM Golden Eagles!

If I could back in time as a high school senior, I would have firmly agreed to attend University of Southern Mississippi in the Fall of 2007. This is a wonderful school that is full of spirit and caring professors. I would first advise myself to choose a roommate that likes to study at least part of the week. That has been my number 1 pet peive, roommates are crazy. I enjoy attending school and if I could go back in time, I would advise myself of saving money for rainy days. There are numerous shopping centers and restaurants to enjoy in the area. The last thing that I would advise myself of would be to worry about dating after college, it takes up too much of your time needed for homework. Money is a big issue and apartment life is not cheap so you must seek scholarship money like I am still doing in my senior year. Please pick me as your winner because I worked very hard to get where I am and have a bright future due to my college experience here at USM- GO Eagles Thanks Saydi

Dana

Thinking about it now, I would have told myself to wait a couple of years before attempting college. I attended a community college as soon as I graduated from a college-prep high school, and I simply was not ready for college life. My head was not focused on schooling, even though I had been preparing for college during my whole high school career. From the time I was a freshman in high school to my junior year, I maintained a 4.0, participated in many clubs, extracurriculars, and volunteer work. Then I lost my steam sometime during my senior year and got caught up in the freedom of being an "adult." I dropped out of college after one semester and tried to figure out what to do. Joining the army was what I decided to do. Since then, I have returned to school and am determined to graduate as a registered nurse. However, I want to note that I do not regret going to school the first time or stumbling through my first couple years of adulthood. I believe everything happens for a reason, that each life event a stepping stone to a fuller development of self.

Someone who is not willing to try to obtain a degree. Determination and motivation are important! When it all boils down, academics are supposed to be one's first priority and education is the whole reason for the university to exist at all.

The University of Southern Mississippi is one of the best schools in the area. There are many social programs and events to be involved with, and the athletic programs are a good way to be involved as well. The academic programs are all top notch, and I am proud to attend my university.

University of Southern Mississippi administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.