Hattiesburg, MS
University of Southern Mississippi

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Southern Mississippi

Tavin

It's average and the center of medium town.

It's average and the center of medium town.

I have learned a lot from the time that I was a high school senior through serendipitous mistakes and hard fought success. If I could go back in time and give advice to myself, it would be an oratorical speech that would challenge great speakers like Winston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln, and Martin Luther King Jr. I believe that anyone would deliver a helpful and profound speech to themselves, in hopes of improving their future. Furthermore, I believe that I would advise myself on the same things anyone else would about the future obstacles, laughable mistakes, and personal victories that are made when transitioning into college. After giving my advice, there would be six key statements that i'd want the goofy high school kid to receive: 1) Tough times don’t last but tough people do. 2) Believe in yourself and stay encouraged. 3) Apply for more scholarships (CampusDiscovery.com). 4) Don’t change your major. 5) Volunteering is fun. 6) 09/04/2012 at 12 p.m. duck! (Joke on myself). In conclusion, traveling to the past to give myself advice about college would be very helpful but the inability is also what makes life fun and builds character.

I am not trying to be funny but there is nothing to really "brag".

Lea

If I could go back and talk to myself-without creating a major paradox-I would tell myself to try harder, that it gets better. Push it to the limit so you/I won't look back with so much regret and say, "I wish I had done that," or "I wish I had made more time for this. It could have been so much better."

Ian

I find my classmates to be friendly and helpful.

I find my classmates to be friendly and helpful.

Do ;your best during your high school years, get the best GPA you can and join clubs. What you do during high school does matter!!

I have found many special things here. Amazing school spirit, good dorms and fraternity living, good food options. I enjoy my classes and intructors.The administration is out on campus and very easy to access and talk with. I am happy I chose this school.

Kelsi

It is impossible to justly describe my classmates in one sentence, but unique and worth getting to know is the best way I can sum them up.

The faculty and staff go above and beyond to help you in anyway that is necessary because they truly care about your academic success and want you to ultimately enjoy your experience.

You’re going to have to put more effort into studying, so start now – actually, you should’ve started already. When class is over each day, go over what you learned; DON’T wait until the night before. Also, waking up for an 8 o’clock class is so much harder in college than it was in high school so go to bed earlier. Make time to go to the gym as often as you can. Not only will the endorphins make you happier, but you’ll be able to avoid the Freshman Fifteen. Generic brand food all the way -- you cannot afford the stuff that Mom buys. You’re now a poor college student, so appreciate the free meals every club's interest meeting has to offer – attend them all. You might even find one you like which is great because you need to get involved. Make friends with your classmates, it’ll behoove you in the end. They’re only strangers if you let them be. Like everything in life, college is going to be what you make it so enjoy it while it lasts. You can’t get these years back.

My school is beautiful and diverse with very strong academics, but it is still growing.

If I had the chance to give advice to my college self, I would say to get a job. The phrase 'broke college student' is now a reality that I never thought I would experience. Not earning money in high school and not having a job in college has restricted me greatly. I cannot buy my family Christmas gifts, I have to rely on my parents for sorority dues, and I cannot buy my own clothes or groceries. Being on my own for a semester has made me want to do the tasks I previously listed, but I have no money to do so. Even though I want to grow up and start relying less on my parents, I cannotm and I still have the guilt of having them pay for all the activities I do and even my college tuition. If I had gotten a job in high school, I would feel more responsible and more like a college student. Also, I would be able to give a little back to my parent for all they have done for me.

Someone who likes the south and it's hospitality, and someone who is interested in any of the majors the college provides.

William

The biggest mistake I have made so far in my life is not continuing my education right after high school. I had a good paying "job" and thought, "Who needs to go to college, I can't afford it anyway." Well a year later I was with out a "job" and had no back up plans in place. So on to another "job" I went, this one not so good paying. Seven years and to many "jobs" later I have dicided to further my education. Please listen to your teachers and counelers. Stay on track to get a furthered education, becuase starting this far past high school has been very tough. Just getting back in the swing of homework is hard.

Pequetta

My school is the epitome of what a higher learning institute should be: outstanding teachers, great resources, and an optimistic environment.

I would tell the old me to work harder and apply for as many scholarships as possible. This is because the cost to attend universities is extremely expensive and everyone could use extra asistance. I would make myself awre of all the different outcomes of me not doing what I needed to do in classes to remain successful in my studies as well.

The Unviversity of Southern Mississippi is a school for any and everyone! There are various social groups and organizations for any type of student and a friendly smile around every corner!

Harmony

I would tell myself: do not base your life decisions on what other people think or want you to do. Do not put your happiness on the backburner in order to earn the approval of others. Do not hate yourself because you do not know who you are yet; you're young! You're only seventeen years old and dealing with a lot of things. Don’t listen to the people who tell you that you “have to know yourself.” Pursue what you love, even if it in the future it will not make you a thousand times richer. Do not hate yourself because you make mistakes. Everyone does, even if they try to hide them from others. There is nothing “wrong” with you because you don’t know what you want to do with your life yet. It’s okay to be scared of growing up and going to college. It’s okay to ask for help; please don’t try to hold all of your problems inside of you. Take care of yourself and love yourself the best that you can. You’ll be all right, I promise. Just keep breathing. Keep trying. Keep living.

The best thing I consider to be about USM is that there are a lot of interesting and nice people that go here. It's a good place to meet new people that you wouldn't normally meet.

I wish that I had known more things about college life in general. I was not prepared for it, as I did not have a lot of help. USM is not that great about helping transfer students get their footing when coming from another school; they tend to only focus on incoming freshman. I wish I had known that before transferring here.

Hope

This school is really focused on Greek life and sports.

This school is really focused on Greek life and sports.

If I knew what I know now, I would not have chosen to attend this college. Before choosing this college, I had other scholarships to schools that I could have gone to, but I did not choose one of those. I think I would had been better off going to an alternate college, not just becasue of the money, but I do not fit in at all.

Someone who is shy/quiet shouldn't attend this school.

University of Southern Mississippi administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.