Hattiesburg, MS
University of Southern Mississippi

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Southern Mississippi

Crystal

If I were to travel back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would encourage myself to start practicing better study habits. In my senior year of high school a few of the classes I took were U.S. Government, AP Spanish V and AP Literature, and looking back, my achievements in those classes were satisfactory but I could've done a lot better. It probably had to do with the fact that I didn't like my teachers much and I was ready to be done with school and graduate, but those are not responsible reasons for not caring as much about my studying as I could have. In college, mom and dad won't be there to remind you to do homework or study for exams, and it's up to you to make the time to study, go over class lectures and notes, and stay on top of your work. Some teachers don't collect homework or take attendance, so skipping class and fudging homework (or forgetting about it completely) are tempting options, but you have to set a standard for yourself as for how you are going to get work done.

I am really impressed with the study abroad opportunities at USM. As an undergrad student double majoring in Spanish and International Studies, it is one of my main goals to study abroad. I have chosen to go to Spain next year and I was really happy with the amount of help and feedback I got from the Study Abroad office. It was a personal experience, and unlike a lot of the other processes at the school, I didn't get the run-around and I wasn't hurried out of the office - I felt ready for the next step.

As with any other college, those who believe their workload/responsibilities will be similar to that of their high school career will have problems. Though USM isn't the most vigorous of academic environments, it isn't a walk in the park either, and in order to do well, you have to stay on top of your studying and have good time management skills. Also, people who are looking for a really diverse, yet unified student body may be a little taken aback if they come to Southern Miss because there isn't a lot of interracial interaction between students.

Kathryn

I love the students at Southern Miss. Everyone is extremely friendly and laid back. There is no pressure to be anything other than who you are. In class, students are eager to exchange phone numbers in order to study or help out with doing homework and understanding concepts. It is so easy to make friends at my school and there is never a shortage of people willing to help you with whatever you need.

I actually went to Ole Miss before attending Southern Miss and I just didn't feel like I fit in there. As soon as I transferred to Southern, I felt at home. Everyone made me feel so welcome and would include me in their activities and helped me to make friends. I can't imagine myself anywhere else.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would definitely tell myself to study, study, study. When I first got to college it was tough learning how to adjust from high school subjects to college ones. I don't think I was ready for the amount of studying I had to do and also I wasn't sure how to study to absorb the most information as possible. I was really involved in high school but I wasn't in very many leadership positions. If I had a chance to go back and talk to myself, I would tell me to take more leadership positions in organizations in which I was involved. I think that this would have helped me get more leadership scholarships to help pay for school.

PATRICIA

The University of Southern Mississippi is a beautiful and growing university with a personality befiting a great Southern institution.

Pat you were crazy to quit school at age fifteen. Now that you have taken the initiative, after forty three years, at age fifty eight to return to school, to earn a college degree you have a second chance. First, you should have not quit school, second you should have fought harder to return to school after you married, even in the face of the Grand Bay, Alabama school board when they said, because you were married, you could not attend their public school. Last but not least, when you got your GED at age twenty one you should have found a way to get into college and attain a degree. This could have made your and your children's lives much easier and better, and definately it would have set a much better example for them. I hope young people who have the great opportunity to attend college take full advantage and don't waste their time or money. Life's opportunities are precious and should be embraced and appreciated.

Parking is somewhat a problem due to the continuing growth of our great University.

Robyn

I think my school is unique from my other choice because of the people that attend the school. The other school I considered was a historically black school. I know that the student population would have been majority black. I enjoy the diversity at the University of Southern Mississippi. I also feel that USM was a better choice becasue for safety reasons. At the other school that was an issue. From my background of going to private schools, I felt more comfortable at a diverse college. I also think my degree would stand out more coming from this school.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to work harder. You need to a good work ethic and not be lazy. School is too expensive to be lazy or missing classes. I would also say that in college not everyone is going to be your friend and not everyone is going to like you. Thats just life. There are so many distractions in college. If you really want to succeed you need to be focused. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Another tip would be work on time management. If you know ahead of time that there is something you want to do make sure all of your work is done. The most important thing I would tell myself is be yourself. In college you really have to love yourself. There are so many people who will try and take advantage of you. Just remember your goals, morals, and values. Don't let anyone stand in the way of your dreams. In college you could have so much free time, make sure you take advantage of it.

I brag to my friends about the school activities, whether it's about a parties, a fotball games, intramurals, or clubs. There are so many ways to get involved. I tell them about the different organizations that we have on campus and which ones I would like to join. I also tell them about the diversity. There are many different ethnic groups and people with different cultural backgrounds that attend my school. I tell them that I literally learn something new everyday.

Antoinette

The University of Southern Mississippi may not be the best university but it does have some good things to offer such as diversification and and overall different experience.

My classmates are diveresed, they each represent something different, whether it be race, religion, culture, or educational background they are all unique and have something to contribute despite if we all know each other or not.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to continue to strive hard and keep my mind focused on why I'm attending college in the first place. I would tell my self that communicating with the professors is a good thing and that I should not be afraid to talk to them and if I need help with something a tutor is a great option instead of trying to teach myself the information that I don't understand. I would also tell myself to become more involved as early as possible because the longer you wait the harder it is to become involved. I would tell myself to weigh my options carefully and follow my heart and have fun but learn as much as possible and never give up regardless of what anyone says or does and not to let anything get in the way.

Raeanne

Raeanne, apply to colleges everywhere, this is the beginning of your life, you can do anything. You must understand how much everything changes after you graduate high school and you are out in the working world. None of the petty things like what you wear, or who you hang out with matter anymore. You must always do whatever makes you happy and be true to yourself because you only have one life. Your future is what is important and you need to explore all of your possible options, you really can do anything you want.

ronalda

Dear high school me, Nothing in life comes easy. That especially applies to college life. School work is not to be taken lightly. True it may get hard at times but when you get awesome grades it definately pays off. Also, professors love it when u ask them questions. It makes them feel needed and imprtant. Another thing, making good friends is a process. Not everyone is looking out for your best intrests. I think the most important thing that i can tell you is: think for yourself, be your own person, and never change for anyone. Enjoy!!!!

My school is very social and warm. I don't belive anyone who goes here feels that he or she is out of place. There's something for everyone.

Domenick

If i could travel back in time and talk to myself about college life and making the transition i would have to talk to myself about not procrastinating on deadlines, slap yourself to stay awake, and always follow directions. The first thing i would say is "Get with the program you slowpoke!", because college is no where near in comparison with high school life. The pace is just about the same as a speeding train. Secondly, i would have to slap my younger self a few times to get him into staying awake during class lectures. One of the most important things in college is to completely pay attention in class. Although you might forget to do your homework, but during testing you will remember an absolutely crucial fact and you will thank the heavens you were awake when the teacher said it. Lastly, ALWAYS follow directions. Knowledge is nothing without knowing what you are supposed to do with it. You could be the smartest person in the world, but look stupid if the directions were not followed. Ultimately, these three topics are what i feel the most important ones to talk to myself about.

Alana

Although the group is diverse, they are very friendly and open!

Although the group is diverse, they are very friendly and open!

Knowing what I do now about college life and the transition, I would like to be able to tell myself as a high school senior to calm down! Although at this age I was excited, I was very anxious and nervous to start something new. I would share that although it is scary...it is a wonderful experience. I would share that it is a time of growth and change which is exciting! I would also share that although it is a wonderful to have an open heart, that should not mean you completely let your guard down and allow others run over you. I would tell myself that prepare for the responsibilities ahead! I wish I could let myself know as high school senior to not be afraid of being alone! Fear can do nothing for you but stand in your way, especially the fear of loneliness! Having indepence and being on your own teaches you so much about yourself! Last, I would share that college is like a journey, although the ride is a little bumpy and sometimes dark...for the most part, the scenery is beautiful and the destination is certainly well worth it!

It is the perfect size campus! Not too big, but not too small! You can walk to pretty much any building on campus in about 15 minutes.

University of Southern Mississippi administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.