Hattiesburg, MS
University of Southern Mississippi

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Southern Mississippi

Classmates at USM can be a little bit stand-offish at first, but once you get to know them they're fun and nice.

Your highschool world is so very different from what your college world will be. Don't assume that you can go into college with the same attitude that you have right now and do as well there. Good grades are harder to get and friends are harder to win. Coming from a small town to a huge university will be one of the hardest transitions you will have ever made. Understand that if you work hard all along, it will pay off in the end. Don't let the move get you down and affect your freshman year. Make the most of it-college is supposed to be the best time of your life. It will be a very hard time for you. You will have to work 2 or 3 jobs at a time and attempt to keep up the good grades but it will be more than worth it in the end. Throughout college, friends will come and go along with boyfriends but that's okay. The ones that matter will still be there in the end. Make decisions because of what you want, not because of what someone else wants for you. You'll be just fine.

Since I have gotten into my major program, I've had some of the most caring and helpful teachers I've ever had. I had one teacher in particular last semester that has helped me out more than anyone. She's even helped advise me on how to get into graduate school.

Brittney

Always there to help anyone in need no matter if your new or not. Always willing to meet new people and show them around if they don't know their way around.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that I need to practice my study habits more and get more ready for college by studying harder. I should have started out my senior year taking a few classes during high school and get those under my belt. Also, I would have told myself to start a savings just for school instead of now having to take out loans, and worry about college debt when I graduate.

I personally don't think there is anyone who shouldn't attend this school.

Bridgette

My classmates are a diverse group willing to help fellow students.

My classmates are a diverse group willing to help fellow students.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the first thing I would say is relax. I would tell myself that I don't have to have everything about what I want to do with my life figured out at this point. I would suggest not declaring a major my freshman year, and instead testing the waters by taking a variety of different classes. I would also tell myself that, although I don't want to let my parents down, I must choose a career that is going to make me happy in the long run.

Anyone wanting to receive a quality education for a reasonable price.

Ila

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have told myself to follow my heart and chose a major when I first started my freshman year. Waiting until my third year of college to start my major is what held me back from graduating on time. Also, I would have told myself to join my sorority my freshman year instead of waiting til my sophomore year because Alpha Delta Pi helped me get over wanting to go home all the time and it made college life so much more entertaining. Doing activities, school, and work difinitely keeps me busy, but considering my freshman year I felt like I had no friends, it is difinitely worth it. I would tell myself even though it may same overwhelming, it is all worth it in the end.

The best thing about my school is my professors are willing to help me and tell me what kind of things need to be changed on my projects. Other than is my social life and the community service activites I get to be involved in.

I wish I would have known that even though you feel you have done your best on papers and projects, that the teachers pretty much base their opinions on your schoolwork. I also wish I would have known that most on campus jobs are only available for work study students making it hard for me to get a job on campus that will allow me to do my homework at the same time.

My school is very helpful and strickly about academics

My school is very helpful and strickly about academics

If I could go back in time and give my self advice as a high school senior I would tell my self that time management is the most important thing in college. I would say this because in college I have to make sure that I take time out of my day to study and do homework. For every hour in class I spend three hours studying for that class. I would also tell my self that hanging out with friends is not always good because thats an easy way to get distracted and lose focus on school work. I would also tell my self not to do assignments at the last minute because if I do my assignment at the last minute I wouldnt get the grade I deserve because I didnt takle my time to start my assignment on time and rushed at the last minute and recieved a lower grade. When I assignments at the last minute there is a possibility that I can leave out important information that I should have added.

I mostly brag about the professors and how dedicated they are towards their students

Mariah

The University of Southern Mississippi is a diverse school where it seems that only the nicest people attend and only the brightest professors teach there.

If I could make a quick stop back to my senior year, the most important lesson I would have told myself would be to finish up my credits and take better classes at the community college I attended. In my senior year of high school, I was dual enrolled at both high school and the local community college. I was on the right track for going to college during my senior year, but the only problem was that I took two histories in the fall and didn?t finish up my other credits in the spring because of a minor problem. When I enrolled in college after high school, my college only accepted one class. Fast forwarding to my life now, if I would have stuck these classes out I would have had nine credits going toward my freshman year instead of just the three credits I got from the one class. If I chose classes on what I needed and not on what my friends had I would have been in better shape. If I also would have persevered through my classes and not let my problem make me quit I would have been in a better position today.

Actually, I studied everything about my school before I went there. This was my reason for choosing this school because of the different opportunities they provided. Yet to answer this question, the only thing I knew beforehand about this school are the variety of degrees that they provide. They are so different, and you can get so many different opportunities when choosing one.

Cortney

My school is very well-rounded. Everyone helps each other obtain their goals.

My school is very well-rounded. Everyone helps each other obtain their goals.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself, I would tell myself to be more serious. School is nothing to play with. There are so many opportunities out there for me to grab on to. Start applying for more finanical aid, because any and everything can help your situation. I also tell myself not to be afraid to ask for help, because your GPA is very important and it must be maintained. I have learned that a closed mouth don't get fed. I would tell myself to be more independent as well. I don't want myself to wait on anybody to get the job done. Lastly, I would tell myself to always trust in God and stay close with family and friends and start giving back to the community.

Anyone who is willing to work to obtain their degree can attend USM.

Lindsey

As a high school senior, I would think about being open to meeting new people and making new friends. That is so important in the college setting. I would also try to think alot about making a budget and trying to live within that amount . It is very hard to be on your own and deal with money situations. My problem area is eating out and not wanting to eat cafeteria food when I know I have a meal plan. So you to really have to adust to a new way of life when you move out of your home with your parents and live on your own. College is a wonderful experience and you can make it what ever you want to make it.

Having to buy a meal plan is one of the worst things that I can think of. It costs a good bit of money and I really do not like the food.

Being able to balance studying and social activities is frustrating to me. I have recently made the decision that I will study during the week like it is my job and go out on Saturday night. You have to have a some fun!

University of Southern Mississippi administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.