Hattiesburg, MS
University of Southern Mississippi

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Southern Mississippi

Christopher

The University of Southern Mississippi is a small university with a big spirit that is academically diverse as well as rich in culture, sports, and lessons that will prepare any student for their future careers.

First tell that girl you love her and get ready for the best times of your life. You are about to embark on a new journey of self discovery and fun. Maybe you should go to the Payne Center more and meet more people. Boy you are going to meet some wild ones. You will have fun. Try a different major so life can be easier for us. Remember who you are and if you beliefs change it's okay. Everyone has a purpose and so do you. Enjoy your life and have fun and live large.

I wish I had chosen a new major with more job possiblities. I am struggling a little to find a job, but I know my perfect job is right around the corner.

Jonathan

Southern Miss is my home away from home; it's a small city that feels like a large family.

Southern Miss is completely student centered. In my searching, Southern was the only school that seemed inviting and willing to work with me. I couldn't believe how much I felt like I belonged when I visited the campus. Oh, and the music program is extraordinary.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell me to not worry. I would let myself know that the transition to college was really going to be a breeze and the stress that I was causing myself was unnecessary. I would remind myself that I had made the best choice possible and that I couldn't possibly imagine all of the great stuff that was going to happen as soon as I stepped onto campus. I would tell myself to relax about the transition to college and just focus on what was important to get through my senior year of high school. I would also tell myself to remember that my family was very important and very influencial in my life and I should keep them on the top of my list of priorities. I would end our conversation with an important message that these next years were going to be some of the most important, fun, memorable, and influencing years of my life. With that, I would wish myself the best of luck and tell myself to not forget to fill out the Campus Discovery Survey when it came to me.

Grace

My school has an unusual Honors College which consists of two programs: General Honors and Senior Honors. Senior Honors is what made me want to attend USM. Instead of simply taking smaller, more advanced classes, Senior Honors students are challenged to contribute to their field of study through research. It is a two-year program in which students begin scholarly work in their field, first picking a topic and adviser from their department and then developing, researching, and writing a thesis. Because the program is research based, it gives students pre-graduate experience, doing near-graduate-level work.

The first piece of advice would be to finish any research related to the school. Visit all university possibilities during your the fall of your senior year at the latest and make sure you are aware of school and departmental scholarships available to freshmen. Also, stay on top of deadlines while applying for college. There are a lot of deadlines, and just like school assignments, these applications need to be given time and attention. Staying on top of deadlines and completing all applications before the summer will make a more relaxed transition. The next piece of advice would be to prepare for more demanding assignments. The assignments in college require time and thought, so make sure you have the foundation you need in good study habits. Budget the time necessary for assignments--give them the time they need but do not let them take over your life. Also, review anything from high school that you might not understand well, such as punctuation techniques and algebraic formulas--these will be waiting for you at college.

Aside from the stellar Honors College which I already mentioned, I think that our strong student to teacher ratio really allows the instructors to spend the necessary time with their students. The teachers at USM are very approachable and willing to help their students. This enable students, such as myself, to feel as if we can go to our instructors during their office hours and talk to them after class. It also allows teachers to learn about their students on a personal level which helps build good student-teacher relations.

Bryan

The first thing that I would do would be to thank myself as well as give myself a handshake. I knew that going straight from high school to college would not be a wise choice. I knew that I would have wasted time, money and other peoples' effort. Going to school at an older age allows you to be better prepared to not waste time and have the experience of how some of the world works.

I knew what I was getting into from the beginning.

The way the school budgets money for departments and the lack of parking for students.

Lindsey

It is a very upbeat and spirited school. People are very friendly and helpful to your problem and situations. It is very diverse and career oriented school. We get involved in school activties, environemental help, and career oriented activties provided to the students. Campus is different. This is my first time going to an out of state school and living on campus. The experience has had its ups and downs but I am glad a tried it out. I am looking forward to coming back here in the springtime to finish up my program.

I would tell myself to get my head into the game and to take college seriously. Have fun and get to know people and teachers around you. I would love to be involed in college activties and to be doing something that I would like to make a career out of. Always strive for what you want out of life. Know that your path may change and take longer than you may have expected it to. Always stay true to yourself and keep God close to your heart. Know that your family, friends and boyfriend supports and loves you very much. Be all that you can be and try not to get discourage with what life has to threw at you to learn from. Be grantful for what you have and help others when there in need of your help. These will be the best years of your life....enjoy them!

Recieving financial aid and getting out of paying out-of- state fees. It takes a little while to make friends but, you do evenually. The up keep of some of the dorms is not so great with some of the older ones that I have stayed in. Also, some classes are non transferable so your having to retaking classes you have all ready taking from preious schools.

Amy

I would tell myself that it is perfectly acceptable to not have a clue what you want to do with your life. Everything happens for a reason and God will open the gates for you when the time is right. I would tell myself to live life to the fullest and have a blast in college, but also keep in mind that your grades are very important in the end so keep that GPA up so that it will be an easier process when applying for graduate school. I would tell myself to really get in close with my advisors and couselors because you will have to refer back to them many, many times after you graduate between applications to graduate school or references for a job. They can make or break you so be good to them! And last, but certainly not least, I would tell myself to break up with that stupid football player boyfriend of yours. He is trouble and you should never base your decisions on where to go to college by following a stupid boy. He almost ruined my life, but like I initially stated "everything happens for a reason". Believe in yourself!!

That so much emphasis was placed on your GPA when you graduate. Especially if you plan to further your education or attend graduate school.

I feel like a person that attends this school should be a very social, upbeat, fun loving person. This school is sort of known as a "party school". It is a wonderful school that offers many opportunities for students, but you definitely have fun doing it :)

Sydney

If you are a senior and your about to graduate don't wait to the last minute to figure out which school you want to go. You need to start early and really look into the school you want to go to and consider which school is best for you and your major. Don't just go somewhere cause your bestfriend or boyfriend/girlfriend is going there. Do what is best for you so in the end you will succed in whatever you going to do.

The best thing about Southern Miss is the they have people there who actually care about your learning process. They care about the students and they try there best to help the student in any way they can. Southern Miss is really a friendly place to be

To be honest there really isn't a worse thing about Southern Miss

James

Finding the right college is the most crucial decision a student must make. Parents and students should always visit the college/university before deciding upon anything. This is the beginning factor in the "college experience." If one attends a school that he or she hates, the experience will be an utterly terrible one. However, if one has fallen in love with his or her school, then this is a key contribution into making a memorable and wonderful undergraduate experience. In conclusion, my advice is for students (and parents) to always be sure that a love for the school is present, and that excitment does not fade from the hearts of the parents and child.

We are an extremely diverse school. We are 16,000 minds strong; we each have our own minds and opinions. We do not judge based on race, sexual orientation, or religion. This is important because one does not seek to attend college to be an outcast.

Someone who is not seeking a friendly, welcoming family environment that accepts you for who you are.

Talia

My classmates are diverse, ranging from bright and exuberant to isolated and mysterious.

Visiting your prospective college is vital in the decision making process. Pictures and virtual tours can help, but the only true way to feel the atmosphere of the campus is to see it in person. Starting casual conversation with the students is also key. They can give you inside information that cannot be found on a website or brochure. It's important to keep an open when trying to build friendships. Give each person you meet a chance even if they're not normally who you would gravitate towards. Some of your closest friends could turn out to be the people you judged to quickly.

The best thing about my school is the music program. The symphony is one of the best in the region. Each of the teachers have traveled all over the world. Each year the symphony manages to get brilliant guest artists to perform.

Veronica

I would tell them to give their opinions, but leave their ultimate decisions up to the child. Choose a college in an environment that is not hard adjust to, so you will have to worrying about not adjusting in a timely manner. I would encourage the students to make many friends as possible, including cafeteria workers. I would also suggest the students to get to know each of their professors outside the classrooms. Don

That it would be this awesome!....If I wouldve known that, I wouldve never applied to any other schools!

Someone who enjoys diversity and is eager and exciting about learning.

University of Southern Mississippi administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.