Hattiesburg, MS
University of Southern Mississippi

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Southern Mississippi

Jonathan

It small enought to enjoy the campus but it very large where the importance of a school and extra activities. The school is in the middle of a small metro city so the ability to get anything you need is easy. Like shopping, entertainment, and restaurants.

Go to the college check the activities that are available. Even though you think your child should worry more about his classes then extra activites - think you have to have down time. You want your child to be able to have a choices of those activites, safe enviroment while those activties are going on. The ability to get around campus. Some classes will be across campus from your other classes - will he/she be able to get there from where one class is or from their living quarters without hassle.

My first semester I was in an apartment and thought that was want I wanted to live. But due to financial reason I moved into the dorm the next semester and I so wish I had done that to begin with. The advantages weighs out the disadvantages.

In choosing the best college, there are many factors one should consider. This first is the option of an in state college verses and out of state college. According to one's own ability to detach from strong ties of the past, deteriming how far the individual is willing to be away from their home, friends, and family. Second, one should consider his own interests, and then make sure the college that is chosen reflects those interests. Third, one should do research on the colleges of interest. All colleges have their own personality, and an individual should try to correlate the two.

Millie

There really is not much special about USM compared to the other schools I considered attending. I ended up going to USM because it was the most cost effective and the Graphics department is very nice.

It is terribly important to visit a campus before attending or even applying for admission especially to see the department your child is interested in. It is also a good idea to speak to a current student it, helps to make an informed choice with your child about what they want in a college. While visiting the campus try and see a dorm so that you and your child can get an idea of what sort of living conditions you'll be facing when the semester comes. Once in college it always helps to get involved in some sort of extracurricular activities, I always tried to participate in my campus art club because it relates to my major and allows me to meet people who share similar interests.

The department I'm in (graphic communications) is an excellent place to be. My professors are real world professionals that are well known in their industry. They give real world advice and have the knowledge to guide you in your growth as a designer that will benefit you in the working world.

Barbara

I would advise parents and students to look around and not settle for the nearest school. Find the school that best suits you even if it half way across the country. The best thing to do is follow your heart and see where it leads you. I would also advise students to have a good time at college, make friends and have fun but to also work hard at school. Learn to balance work and play. This will allow the student to have a great time and have amazing friends and memories for a lifetime, but will also lead to amazing opportunities after college with good grades as well. Remember, grades are not everyhthing it is also important to get involved to meet new people which can open thousands of doors for you. Likewise, get to know your professors, this can help with your grades and later in your education these professors can write recommendations or references for you. This way professors know more about you as a person and not just as a name and grade in the classroom. They can vouch for you character and your work ethic, which are very important for careers and graduate education.

I wish that I had known that Southern did not have a pre-med program. I started Southern with a different major then decided to go to med school but I did not realize until that point that Southern did not have a pre-med program.

The worst thing about this school is the emphasis on sororities and fraternities to bring in more students instead of the school itself. It seems that the quality of our Greek Life is more important sometimes than the education that we are getting.

Sara

I would tell parents to trust their child to make the right decision for them and to not put pressure on them in any sort of way. I would tell students to learn all you can about each school they are applying for. They need to make sure that whatever school they choose will benefit them more with their education, not just what sports team they have. Each student should look at the department or college that their major will be in and see what the career placement percentage is for after graduation. They also need to check out the social scene. Being at college is about education, but all work and no play makes for a boring life. Also, parents and students should take a tour of the campus. I took a tour of three colleges and it really helped me decide where I wanted to go. I chose the place where I felt most comfortable. The process of picking a college is hard, but if you take time, the result will be being at the best college for you!

The best thing about my school is how everyone is free to express themselves. The school focuses on the individual and is excited when the student body is sure of who they are and what they want out of life. Southern encourages self expression and wants to know what each person thinks and feels. Everyone and everything is accepted at Southern. No one has to worry about feeling left out or "weird." The University of Southern Mississippi is very welcoming.

The most frustrating thing about Southern Miss is the money end of it. The loans do not come in when they are supposed to, neither does state financial aid. This is not always the school's fault, but when a payment is due and the money has not come in there is much added stress. I want the due date for tuition not to be before the semester begins. I simply have a very hard time coming up with the money as do all of my friends.

Laura

The Luckyday program which is based on community service and involvement. The Luckyday program was one of the main reasons I enrolled at USM because community envolvement was already such a big part of my life.

First, do you research and know what kind of school you are attending and what life their will ential. Know what kind of life you want for the next four years, and thus the type of area, size, and cultural experiences the school has to offer. Secondly, be open minded to new experiences and get involved on campus and the community from the start.

Someone who wants a HUGE city. Hattiesburg has plenty to do, but not like a big city like new york.

Kaycie

I would suggest to make visits to EVERY campus that you are genuinely interested in. Get a feel for the campus, observe the students there, and make sure you can see the classrooms and on campus housing. Do not rely on your comfort zone when choosing a college. I went to college with some of my best friends from high school and chose the closest university to home that I found acceptable, and I regret that. It has really hindered my ability to meet new people and become truly independent. Just because it's close by and you're with old friends doesn't mean it's the best school for you.

I brag most about all of the different student organizations/extracurricular activites at USM. There is something for everyone.

University of Southern Mississippi administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.