Hattiesburg, MS
University of Southern Mississippi

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Southern Mississippi

Pequetta

My school is the epitome of what a higher learning institute should be: outstanding teachers, great resources, and an optimistic environment.

I would tell the old me to work harder and apply for as many scholarships as possible. This is because the cost to attend universities is extremely expensive and everyone could use extra asistance. I would make myself awre of all the different outcomes of me not doing what I needed to do in classes to remain successful in my studies as well.

The Unviversity of Southern Mississippi is a school for any and everyone! There are various social groups and organizations for any type of student and a friendly smile around every corner!

Harmony

I would tell myself: do not base your life decisions on what other people think or want you to do. Do not put your happiness on the backburner in order to earn the approval of others. Do not hate yourself because you do not know who you are yet; you're young! You're only seventeen years old and dealing with a lot of things. Don’t listen to the people who tell you that you “have to know yourself.” Pursue what you love, even if it in the future it will not make you a thousand times richer. Do not hate yourself because you make mistakes. Everyone does, even if they try to hide them from others. There is nothing “wrong” with you because you don’t know what you want to do with your life yet. It’s okay to be scared of growing up and going to college. It’s okay to ask for help; please don’t try to hold all of your problems inside of you. Take care of yourself and love yourself the best that you can. You’ll be all right, I promise. Just keep breathing. Keep trying. Keep living.

The best thing I consider to be about USM is that there are a lot of interesting and nice people that go here. It's a good place to meet new people that you wouldn't normally meet.

I wish that I had known more things about college life in general. I was not prepared for it, as I did not have a lot of help. USM is not that great about helping transfer students get their footing when coming from another school; they tend to only focus on incoming freshman. I wish I had known that before transferring here.

Hope

This school is really focused on Greek life and sports.

This school is really focused on Greek life and sports.

If I knew what I know now, I would not have chosen to attend this college. Before choosing this college, I had other scholarships to schools that I could have gone to, but I did not choose one of those. I think I would had been better off going to an alternate college, not just becasue of the money, but I do not fit in at all.

Someone who is shy/quiet shouldn't attend this school.

Chelsee

My classmates are diverse, enthusiastic, and interesting.

My classmates are diverse, enthusiastic, and interesting.

You can do it. Don't be scared! I know college seems terrifying, but as long as you study (yes, you have to study now!) and work hard, it's going to be simple. Take it one day at a time. There's no more listening in class and acing the tests, you have to read and do stuff outside of class. But it's so much better than high school - there's no cliques, there's no snarky people picking on you. These people are (mostly) mature, and they want you to succeed. There's tutorial centers, there's people everywhere wanting to help you, you can't fail if you really want it. Your friends are going to be so much better, too, because they're going to be in the same field as you. It's not that hard if you apply yourself. Apply for scholarships. Apply for as many colleges as you want! Don't be scared and think college is for other people or think you won't get scholarships or into college because you're not good enough. Believe me, there's idiots that get in! You're one of the good ones. Go.

My school has an awesome amount of school pride, the teachers are interactive and interesting, and it's almost impossible to fail due to the large amount of help with tutorial labs, help centers for writing and speech, and an amazing computer lab with tools for any field of study.

raequel

the best thing about this school is that you can always get help. The teachers are very helpful and are willing to work with out afterclass by answering any questions you by have. The resoucres are great here I love the writing center that help you with your papers before they are due.

o wow i would tell myself to study study study. that the most important thing in college, yes it okay to have a soical life to but remember that im here for an education first. college is wat different from high school no one ill be looking over your shoulder making sure your work is done it is your responsibity time mangment is the key.

I hate how the school going about fees. I dont like that they force you to get a meal plean if you live on campus. I also dont think iy is fair to charge out of state students two tuitions.

Keri

I am currently in the nursing program at USM, and I find it convenient and unique that they are getting an anesthesia program. This is the first school in the state of Mississippi to get this program. I am excited because I plan to furthur my studies in this particular program, and I am excited that I do not have to go out of the state of Ms.

Lynyrd Skynyrd produced a song many years ago called "Simple Man". What does this particular song have to do with anything? "Simple Man" has a line in the first verse that reads, "Oh, take your time... Don't live too fast". I would certainly go back and tell my hardheaded seventeen-year-old self to unquestionably take in those words. We never listen to our elders that tell us that life passes by quickly; I know I never did. I thought they did not know what they were talking about, and time passes by so slow. I wanted to grow up so fast, finish high school, speed through college, and be an adult. Now all I want to do is get those high school years back and enjoy every single day like it was my last. My senior year I wanted to get out of high school as fast as possible because I thought life became easier as approaching adulthood; unfortunately, I was very wrong. Life only happens once, and it does pass by very quickly and only gets harder. I would have no doubt told myself, "Take your time, and do not live too fast."

I believe anyone could/should attend this school . The University of Southern Miss specializes in many majors, and it is a wonderful college with broad studies. The only area I know they do not cover is Engineering. However, everyone should go to college so I would not discourage any type of person from going to USM.

tareema

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior the advice I would give myself is that high school are mostly your best years in life. There are times when you want to have fun but as well as times when you have to buckle down and do what you have to do. Make yourself for extracurricular activities and make sure your gpa gets to its highest point. There are very different challenges in college and you need to be ready for it. College is when you realize what life is like on your own but in the other hand you have people who can help you in different ways. Make sure you apply for alot of scholarships belive me college is not cheap at all. It may be hard trying to balance college life , party life , friends and family on a pedestal but it will be all worth it once your on that stage on graduation day with your family in the crowd screaming your name because you did it remember that. Your teachers, family or friends didnt do it but you achieved your goal and ready to move forward with life.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school is if they are not willing to work hard to achieve their goals. Every thing does not come easy at southern miss or for any school at that you just have to work hard to achieve what you want in life period.

The things I brag about when I tell my friends about my school is that my school is very affordable. They are very helpful in any way you need them to help. They make sure your set to complete the school year. As well as having the going away experience you want or need , they have on campus and off campus housing which benefits you in many ways. Its good to live on campus because those students are more likely to succeed but off campus housing is just as good as on campus. Going to my school is worth it.

Robin

Do not worry about money, about grades, or about making friends. Once you are in college those things figure themselves out. There will be many ways to work out financial issues and the school work will fall into place. There are tons of people that are going through the same things as you are about to be. Freshman with no friends or family close by are all around you. Friends will come easily if you just relax and be yourself. Most importantly, you are more prepared for college than you think. Up until now teachers told you the worst case senarios to scare you into preparing yourself. Sure, you will miss your parents and old friends, but the new experiences heading your way are worth it. Your new found freedom will be a great experience and help you to grow into a better person. So overall, dont stress about the little things, be yourself, and live it up! College is meant to be the greatest time of your life!

I wish that I had known not to stress over school work too much. I was nervous that the classes were going to be huge and that the professors did not care about the students, but they professors did everything in their power to help out each and every student.

The worst thing about my school would have to be the limited parking. There is plenty of parking for the students who don't live on campus, but not so much for us students who actually live on campus.

Nitayuna

I would really encourage myself to actually learn the material instead of trying to remember it. It's a big difference. I would also say that in high school you played around but in college you have a lot on your hand and you have to know how to mange it. You might want to party, but dont wake up to go to class, which is not a good thing. Always go to class and do the best you can do. I would also advise myself to make a lot of friends and get into study groups. I would make sure that i would apply for scholarships all year around, cause thats when you need money the most. In college you are going to want to do this and that, but you are not able to because of financial problems. God, family, and Education , nothing else matters. The Hardest job is the Best job. Working hard for what you want and making everybody proud is the best feeling anybody can have. Love yourself and dont try to be nobody else.. Only God can judge you and thats the only one that matter.

I wish i had known that it would be that hard to find a job on campus..

Worst thing on my campus is when some of the diversity groups dont like to mingle with other groups. Its 2012 and things has to change, but some people will never change.

University of Southern Mississippi administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.