University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire

Amelie

I would say that the school is overall good and I would recommend it. The worst part is probably the food. If you live in the dorms I would highly recommend towers north or south, the other halls are all very old in comparison. They don't have as much space and it is not as modern.

Kendrick

The University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire is an intriguing school with a family-like culture. This school isn't one that's big on separation everyone is together - if not there's something there for you. There's immense support extending from schooling to therapy. Can't go wrong with going here the only way you can fail is if you simply don't do the work.

I think UWEC prepared me for life after college. The professors were excellent and the class sizes are considerably smaller than many large universities. I don't think I ever had a Graduate Assistant teach any of my classes. All my professors were associate or full professors.

I love the school so far! It’s only my first year, but the teachers seem to be very nice and helpful (for the most part), there are a lot of music/art opportunities here. Overall the campus is beautiful; can’t beat the view! Campus housing was a bit rough trying to get out of it cause of the pandemic but overall, it’s great!

Charlotte

Eau Claire is a good school, but there is room for improvement. Overall, students do well academically, however there should be more student involvement outside of the classroom. Eau Claire should make sure their students become more involved in many aspects of student life, regardless of what it is.

Kaley

I have visited a few times, and I have officially dedicated myself to this school for next fall! Although of course I don't know much about many things, I can tell you that this school is definitely the place for me. There are many academic discussions and places to go for help, and the campus is overall just BEAUTIFUL!!

Jake

I love the campus, the people, the Midwest feel, everything! It is small enough that you can run into people you know periodically yet big enough that you feel like you are trapped. Professors are top notch as are all of the upgraded facilities. Sports aren't division 1, but they are a fantastic activity to go watch on any given night. I cannot wait to be able to proudly proclaim that I am a graduate of this institution.

Rebecca

The University of Wisconsin Eau Claire is known for its giant hill and freezing footbridge, but many people don’t know about the daunting issue that is obvious to the naked eye. Sure the campus has rigorous academic courses and the resources to help any student who needs additional help. Not to mention how helpful the staff is! Still there is a major issue when you walk around campus. Earlier this semester there was a student organization which posted a freedom of speech board for students to exercise their rights as United States citizens. These speech boards were covered with things such as political points of view, popular meme, and words of encouragement. The morning of the scheduled board removal someone had painted in big black letters “UWEC IS RACIST”. This caught the attention of many students and faculty while finding its way into some classrooms throughout that week. The student population is mainly white with a dash of racial minorities. University staff is aware of this issue and as a whole the campus welcomes diversity although it is not as evident in the student enrolment. Since this event there have been many other opportunities on campus to highlight the other ways the campus is diverse. This week on campus the University is hosting an LGBTQ celebration that spans from Tuesday through Saturday. There are also constant updates through social media of ways you can get involved and connected while at Eau Claire. Over all the school is fantastic it just falls short on having a racially diverse student body.

Caryn

University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is a great place to further your educational goals. It's been the best university to go to achieve the education my sister and I needed for our careers. She went into music education, and I went into nursing both of which are programs that University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is well known and highly regarded for. Considering how expensive U.S. tuition is I feel very reassured that I'm getting a good education at this institution. Furthermore it has always been my experience that the university strives to support its students and create a culture of tolerance, and diversity. Jim, the chancellor is very visible on social media interacting positively with students, being involved in activities, and personally addressing student concerns. His support and genuine beneficent attitude toward students is a strong leading example for the kind of caring climate that can be found on campus. So far I have been very happy as a student at University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a great school in the Midwest.

Rachael

Here at UW- Eau Claire, we have so many things to do and see, from being just off the Water Street District, which has lots of coffee shops and fun little "off the wall" stores, to the amazing views, especially during the fall when the leaves change color. As a Minnesotan, I'm very used to the "Minnesota Nice" culture, and I was nervous about leaving the comfort of my state, but after only being here a short time, I realized that the people here are extremely kind here as well. The professors truly care about your education, and want you to succeed. The only improvement I would like to see is the food, however, it is pretty good right now considering they have to serve a campus of about 10,000. I have found my home away from home, and I couldn't be happier.

Christian

This University has been an amazing place in my life. I transferred here half way through my freshman year of college and it is definitely the place I am supposed to be. The students were accepting and generous, the teachers were willing to meet outside of classes, and my teammates on the cross country team have become like family. The University has also begun many campus improvement projects which I am extremely excited for. Finally, the campus ministries have been an incredible benefit to my life and the people I have met there have been extremely influential in my life.

Beatrice

As a first year student, I love Eau Claire. The environment is incredibly open and welcoming. My floor is incredibly close, and everyone is willing to give advice no matter what the situation. The campus is beautiful, and the foot bridge is freezing (one of the top 10 coldest places in the country!). As for classes, the professors are great about answering questions, and each class is taught by the actual professor, most with teaching assistants just for extra office hours. If I had to critique one thing, I would say the lack of communication is subpar. Most of the time I don't know what's happening surrounding time lines. Overall, the first 1/16 of my college experience has been one for the record books!

Jared

The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is a great school to attend. It is a very beautiful campus with many beautiful buildings. They have about over 80 undergraduate programs, as well as 14 graduate programs. Many of the students, including myself, start at Eau Claire as an undecided student. They have many wonderful and helpful counselors that are helpful for undecided students as well specific counselors for those with majors. With a wonderful staff and faculty, a smaller sized campus, and great in town festivities, Eau Claire is a great choice of school for anyone who is looking for a great post secondary education, at a more reasonable price.

Paige

I love it, and I don't think I could have made a better choice. I feel truly at home on the campus and in the community. I love my major and all of the people I have met within my major. From the professors to the dorms, I have enjoyed every minute. I cannot wait to spend the next few years in Eau Claire.

Kelsie

I’m enjoying my first year. Beautiful campus. I have the lower price meal plan and wish I had paid for the bigger one. The Hill gets old but good exercise. I’ve found a good group of friends. Welcome week was great! Wish the football team was better.

Grace

The academic side of Eau Claire is really strong. I've never seen a college that is so strong in so many different programs. The administrative side of the college can be difficult to work with but it is worth it for the education you will receive. There are so many extracurriculars too so everyone can get involved in something.

Olivia

I am going into my freshman year at UWEC this year. I have taken campus tours and been to orientation so far and overall I can tell this school is going to be a great choice. My counselors (you get 3!) have been very friendly and understanding with me. The school food is pretty good- but the meal plans can get pretty pricey. I have made a lot of new friends before I even reached campus through a Facebook page the school hosts for each incoming class.

Sofia

UW-Eau Claire is a very welcoming and safe school; I find that I am able to be an independent student, and still become part of a team within the many extracurricular activities offered on campus, if I choose to. The professors are very approachable and kind, and most of the buildings are kept in decent shape. I do recommend UW-Eau Claire to future college students, there are so many academic and personal opportunities for growth.

Damin

The college is overall pretty good. Like any institution it has it's problem but they make up for it in other ways. Small classes allow working with professor closely! The ability to work closely professors allow you to have great letters of recommendation for whatever you future holds.

Clarice

UWEC is a great school and it has a great atmosphere. There is always something to do either on campus or around town. They also have a strong music program and a great marching band. All of the professors always make an effort to get to know their students and help when one of their students are struggling either in class or just in general.

Killian

It's a stunning experience to walk around UW-Eau Claire's campus. Walking to each building is pleasant unless it's terribly hot. They continue to renovate the buildings and keep everything looking great. The lecture halls and classes look comfortable. There are many opportunities to get involved at the university whether it's through sports, clubs, volunteer work, or internships. Everyone I know that is attending UW-Eau Claire say that they are having a great experience. The only gripe I have with the place is that it is extremely cold in the winter, especially on the foot bridge. There is also a giant hill that divides the campus, but at least you get adequate exercise! I'm pleased to say that I will be attending UW-Eau Claire this fall.

The minute you step onto the camps of the University of Wisconsin Eau Claire you will be pleasantly surprised by friendliness, intellectualism, and overall welcome from each and every student. While the students save time to have fun and enjoy the college experience Eau Claire has to offer, it is a place that is ultimately focused on education and preparation for the career and overall bettering of individuals. Professors care about their students and their understanding of the material and success in every endeavor. Other organizations associated with the university care about student success equally as much as the teaching staff, including the student organizations and housing and residence life. There is a student org for everyone, and every interest. Both academic and recreational, from the water ski team to the biology or board game club they are all welcoming to students at any time of the year and make it easy for students to balance their studies and extracurricular activities. Also, the student housing is yes, dated but is almost always clean and living and community standards are upheld to make it a fun and easy place to live and study. Overall, Eau Claire if focused on academics and student success while still offering the a fun and safe version of the college experience.

I love the campus enough that I changed my plans of transferring next year to stay here. The atmosphere is really friendly. I love all of my professors, and all of them have been willing to help me, especially in career planning. UWEC is a bit of a mess right now. They let in a ton of freshman do to budget issues. Now, upperclassman don't really have on campus housing as an option. There are some other places but they are filling up fast and some are twice as expensive as the dorms. Priority housing for next year was in October! Anyways, the food is decent, not too much variety near the dorms, but down by classes are some good eats! There is always something going on (usually free for us). Overall, I really love it here.

Grace

Eau Claire is such a beautiful campus. There is always a variety of things to do. From sporting events to various clubs and community involvement opportunities. It is a very welcoming school with so many students and staff willing to help, answer any questions you may have and show you around campus. Can't wait to start in the fall.

Maria

Good school. Average town. Going through a rough patch. Dedicated professors.

Deanna

The University of Wisconsin Eau Claire has many great opportunities that every student can take advantage of. The university is very affordable and when I arrived on campus the first time I felt like I was at home. Everyone you talk to on campus in excited to be there and the professors are super nice. I could not believe how easy it was to get a hold of different people on campus. All the classes are taught by professors and there are many research opportunities available. There is truly something for everyone.

Mariah

The University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire is a great school to be at. I like the small campus feel. It really feels like home to me. The campus is beautiful and there are many placed to sit outside and enjoy the sunshine. I love the library basement. It is a wonderland for education majors.

Denisse

I thoroughly enjoy the University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire! Apart from great professors and academics, the students and rest of the faculty are lovely people. There is a lot of acceptance on and off campus. There is plenty to do on and off campus. It is truly a beautiful campus to be a part of.

Mady

The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is a Liberal Arts college focused on the [AND] for their students. With goals that emphasize how their students can earn a diverse education as well as discover everything they ever wanted to accomplish. The school is doing renovations right now to update the school and there are opportunities for everyone on campus.

Devon

Eau Claire is a great school! I attended because they have a wide range of majors, which is nice for someone who came in undecided like myself. There isn't much to do except party on the weekends and it isn't as exciting as a big ten school or as big, but I appreciate the size and like the overall home-y feeling of Eau Claire!

Alexiss

I think that the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is a wonderful and beautiful place to attend. The academics at this school are a high priority for most students as well as athletics and other extracurricular activities. There are a lot of extra activities to get involved in and there are a lot of opportunities to meet new people. The professors here are super helpful and always keep very strict offices hours and are generally always open to help if you ask. Chancellor Jim and the campus ducks and squirrels are a huge hit and always know how to make the students feel better.

Shelby

I absolutely love the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire campus. When I first visited it, I had no idea where I wanted to go, but after seeing the campus I fell in love because it felt like a true college campus to me. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's true. I don't know how else to explain it. I had an "ah-ha" moment that I have only heard about in movies. It's a campus filled with amazing, friendly, and diligent students who will help you if you need it. The facility is also always available if you have any questions or just want to talk. It's also one of the safest campus's in Wisconsin, so you could go out at night and feel one hundred percent safe. It's overall an amazing campus that I recommend student to at least tour.

Anna

The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is a very nice University. I enjoy the professors, they are knowledgable and know how to teach well! The professors teach content in a fun manner, often with guest speakers and interactive activities. They are also open to answer questions and explain things one-on-one if need be. In general, the campus is nice. It is very well landscaped and small, but not too small. Classes are within walking distance and there is no need to run between them. I did not have a pleasant dorm experience. There needs to be more control on parties that happen in the dorm, however, it depends on which dorm you live in. I chose to live in towers. I had neighbors that enjoyed to party a little too much and the RA never got involved. There are many on-campus job opportunities that are supplemental towards the students major, however, they offer very little in wages.

Grace

It's a very nice town, especially if you are looking for a music oriented school or a place that can have both the big city feel and the small class sizes. There are lots of opportunities for volunteering or research, and especially with having the mayo clinic right next door it is a great school for pre-med students.

Courtney

I chose Eau Claire only because it was close enough to my hometown to be able to go back there on a weekend and because it was far enough away that most people from my high school wouldn't go here. I am now pleasantly surprised at the quality of the experiences around campus and the city in general. UW Eau Claire has a lot of different places to eat and it has a lot of places to go off campus to have a good time. The hill separating upper and lower campus is never fun to go up and down but it does keep the students in shape. Overall, I think this is a great campus for anyone no matter their major or interests.

I love UW-Eau Claire! While it has been a huge transition for me, college has been an experience I adore and I can't wait for the next couple years. I think the campus treats its students fairly and equally, and also makes a big effort in trying to hear every individual voice. We take diversity and inclusion really seriously here, which is a HUGE thing for me, and I couldn't be happier with the school I chose.

Ladybella

It is a very nice school.Hope to join you one day.I have always dreamt of going to this school.Please and please admit me please . I hope your school continues to progress until I give birth and make my children students of your school. God bless your school

Leah

I would rate the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire to be four out of five stars. While I was in the dorms, people were friendly, and the RA’s always made sure people knew of fun activities that were happening on campus as well as downtown. There are nice places to study and hang out outside of the dorms. I personally love the grassy areas where you can grab a friend and study while still being within a three minute walk to your dorm room. I’ve been lucky to have amazing professors during my time at the University who have all been motivating and easy to work with. The professors are very understanding if you’re having trouble with their class or get sick. They are willing to put in the extra effort to help you pass their class if you’re willing to so as well. I’ve had many professors that teach the material, but also have a blast doing so. They make the class fun and easy to enjoy. Courses can be difficult, but if you do your homework and utilize office hours and open lab, you’ll do just fine. As for the famous “Freshman Fifteen”, the food was ok. It wasn’t anything spectacular except for the free dairy free ice cream they had at the Hilltop Cafeteria. They are getting better about having alternate food options for those who are vegan/vegetarian/food allergies. Recently, they finished the construction of Garfield Avenue which runs on the campus next to the river. It’s beautifully done! There are a lot of places to hang out with friends on the grass as well as sit and study. Outlets, lights, and outdoor fireplaces have all been added which makes it a great place to have a get together with friends. With all the fun clubs, opportunities, and fun courses and professors, it’s easy to see why I gave this university four out of five stars.

Alexis

The University of Wisconsin Eau Claire is a wonderful campus full of lots of opportunities and even more supportive students and teachers. Eau Claire really puts an at home feel for there students. Almost all professors are routing for their students. They have been recently doing a lot of remodeling, and the campus is amazing. The hill keeps you in shape; towers halls are sooo nice! The food on campus is very good, nothing to crazy but everyone should be able to find one thing they absolutely love!