Winston-Salem, NC
Wake Forest University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Forest University

Stephany

The best thing about Wake I think are the people that I have met here and also the reputation for excellence. I would change our stereotypes and make our reputation for turning out great students/people way more prevalent - I had no idea about it as an incoming freshman. Wake's size is just right. When I tell people I go to Wake, people have either never heard of it, or are a little impressed. I spend most of my time either in the theatre, in the library or in my room. Wake's biggest recent controversy is moving the faculty off campus and using the apartments for students. There is a lot of school pride, but we do it in a classy way. The unusual thing about Wake is that we roll our own quad when we win games, esp. big ones *cough*DUKE*cough*. I will always remember my first day on Wake's campus and the day I decided to come here.

Wake students are mostly the same, yet they are all unique. We come from different financial backgrounds, but I feel like we can all relate on some level.

Like all stereotypes, there is some merit to them, however, Wake Forest is also very diverse. I am a theatre major and a dance minor so the people I am around most of the time are not in sororities or fraternities and they are very liberal or democrats.

The academics at Wake are nothing to sneeze at. We take it very seriously. The profs know our names. We study all the time. Class participation is common, and people have things to say, esp. in their concentration/major. We do have intellectual conversations outside of class, but we don't over do it. We recognize how nerdy/dorky we are because we actually like learning, but we also take great pride in it. Students are competitive, but mostly against either the system or themselves. It's rare to find someone who tries to beat someone else's grade publicly. My department rocks. They are the best department because I love all of the professors. We're like a big family. It's awesome.

The most popular groups are sororities or fraternities. I'm a Kappa Delta but I'm also a dancer. Students do leave their doors open - I feel safe here.

That we are really fratty and drink a lot. We are also considered incredibly conservative with a lot of "Good Old Boys."

The best thing about Wake is the feeling obtained from the small environment. The undergraduate population is perfect so that there isn't an overwhelming number of students on campus, but you can still walk to class and recognize most, if not all, of the students you pass by. Wake is a well-known institution in most parts of the country, which is amazing for a pretty small school. The crime rate is ridiculously low, so I always feel safe walking around campus, even when I'm alone at night. Everyone loves the Demon Deacons, so such a strong feeling of school spirit gives the school an even better atmosphere. The only complaint about Wake that I have so far is that there is no college town, so eating or shopping off campus is always a car ride away.

Although there are definitely some stereotypes about Wake students, there is still lots of diversity among the student body. Most students wear casual, but not too casual, clothes to class (jeans and a top, khackis and a Polo shirt). There is also a large group of students who dress up (skirts, dresses, khackis, button-downs, etc.) I would say the population is split pretty evenly between the North and South. Different types of students definitely interact, which is great about Wake.

You definitely find such types of people on this campus, any they may make up a majority of the population on campus, but there is definitely a feel of great diversity among the student population.

The classes are small enough so that professors know your name and are definitely available for help whenever you need it. There is a lot of work, and classes are hard, but if you keep up with the readings and assigned homeworks then you will be fine. I believe the most popular majors are business and communications, but there are certainly a great deal of pre-med students as well. Teachers encourage class participation and it is taken into account in grades for many classes. Students definitely study a great deal, but it's certainly a manageable workload if you allocate your time correctly.

About half of the students are involved in Greek Life on campus, which pretty much dominates the social scene. Athletic events are generally high in attendance, especially the football and basketball games. One of the most popular groups on campus is Student Union, which organizes fun and creative events for students to get their minds off work and enjoy a good time with their friends. This group also plans the annual events and traditions that Wake has. Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays are the big "going out" nights.

preppy, rich, "Work Forest," skinny blond girls, mostly white students

April

best thing: education and the people; I would change the dining, we need more than just the pit and benson; our school is just the right size; people react by saying they don't know Wake but it sounds great; most of time on campus spent in class, library, or pit; "what college town"; wake admin is good but they messed up the faculty housing a lot; recent controversy is the faculty housing poorly done by the admin; lots of school pride but also think that wake kicks your butt academically; nothing unusual comes to mind; I'll always remember by freshman RA and fraternity beach weekends and seeing my first confederate flag; most common student complaints are that it's too hard and that they take your money from you but I think that it's good Wake is hard and it has to be expensive to be good

wake has a very distinct stereotypical student and if you aren't that, it's noticed; minorities, liberals stand out the most; students wear sweats or ridiculously nice outfits to class, so much so that sometimes it's like a fashion show; extra curriculars help different students interact; the four tables: greeks, jocks, religious, ubber-involved; most students are from new jersey or NC; most have a lot of money; they are not politically aware at all but if they are they are conservative; money is always a topic/motivator

i don't want to think so but every time I think it has been proven wrong I run into another one

I'd say about 1/2 my profs know me by name; my favorite class was Shakespeare with Valbeuno - that woman is one of the smartest people I've ever met, my worst class was chemistry; students study in the library, benson, and obscure places; class participation is common but always the same people; wake students have tons of intellectual conversations outside of class; students are very competitive; most unique class is psychopharmacology (and one of my favorites); psychology does not have advisers which is ridiculous I think but the English department does which makes like a lot easier (I'm a double major); I only spend time with my research methods teacher outside of the classroom to get extra help; Wake's requirements are fair but they should have a sample outline for possible majors to help them balance their schedules throughout their four years; I'm learning for the sake of learning but I feel that I am the minority

it's the jocks and the greeks, if you're not one there are definitely social groups, just on a smaller calaber; I'm a pi phi and don't do too much with it but do a lot of greek organized charity events like breast cancer fashion show and wake n' shake; we always locked ours but we were the minority; athletic events are popular but only if the team is good, very touch and go depending on the season; people only go to guest speakers for class which is stupid some great minds come here but it's hard to advertise; I only attend theater because I have friends in the plays; the dating scene is either marriage oriented or hooking up, there are a lot of couples on campus; my freshman hall is where I met my closest friends; I would be studying or hanging out with friends but any other night I may be out at a party; don't know much about traditions except rolling the quad; people either don't party or party 1-3 times a week; greek life is mostly important only if you are greek or want to be greek, if you are not affiliated normally it's because you don't want to be and aren't interested in the system; last weekend I was in Myrtle Beach on a fraternity beach weekemd; Saturday nights can be movies, sports games, or hanging out with friends or concerts; off campus I work at a tennis shop, volunteer most semesters, and go out to eat

rich, spoiled, very sheltered and unaware of what is going on in the world around them

Tristan

I spend most of my time in Benson, the student center. It's awesome because so many people walk through so I can be social, but at the same time I get a lot of work accomplished. It's right by food (which is a HUGE plus for me!) and in the center of all of my classes. Benson is a great place to meet up and hang out, in addition to be serious and productive.

All students talk about money. Everyone has a Type A personality, which is tremendous because a lot gets done around here but it's absolutely horrible when there are disagreements.

I LOVE WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY! It's been the best place ever for me. As soon as I drove up to campus as a high school prospective student, I knew it was where I belonged.... and I haven't doubted that for an instant.

everyone is self-centered, yes, but not everyone is rich or white

Every professor I've had knows my name. I've had 3 classes in my 3 years here with more than thirty students in them... the majority of my classes have under ten students (which sucks when you skip). The professors are beyond amazing and really passionate about teaching and making sure you learn. This semester, my favorite class is History of the German Language. Although it's fifty minutes long three times a week, it feels like five minutes and I'm so interested in the class discussions I often forget to take notes. The education here at Wake Forest is not about getting a job; it's about learning for the sake of learning and making the most of your time at college.

My closest friends were all on my hall freshman year. We've remained a close-knit group of girls and I couldn't imagine my life without them. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, so are they. And they're probably with me. We're either out at a party, hanging out in sweatpants laughing and eating Ben & Jerry's, or at the library all studying together and sending emails to one another trying to make someone laugh out loud.

everyone's rich and white and self-centered

Alison

I love the school pride and the fact that mostly all Wake students seem to really love Wake and everything about it...also love the small size and the geographic diversity being located in the South yet attracting students from all over the country...Bigtime sports is also a big reason why I love Wake...When i tell people I go to Wake they are normally either confused because they have never heard of it or really impressed because they have heard of it...I wouldn't call Winston-Salem a "college town" but I definitely enjoy going off campus to different restaurants and bars, it does have a lot to offer if you explore it.

I think Wake's student body is pretty homogenous, and seeing as I fit in the mold of the 'typical' Wake Forest student it's hard to say who would feel out of place on our campus, but it would seem that most minority students would feel a little out of place at our school seeing as it is so largely un-diverse...most students dress up nicely for class, wearing polos and preppy clothes and sporting t-shirts from various Greek organizations. Lots of Wake students from New Jersey and NC...

I like the small class size and the fact that most professors know your name and give you the opportunity to really participate, and they are willing to make time to help you and not just have some TA interact with you...Academics are extremely important to Wake students, mostly everyone seems to take school very seriously, but that is not to say too seriously...I like that Wake allows you time to take a broad range of courses with the divisional requirements before declaring your major sophomore year.

most popular groups are definitely Greek organizations, dominates the student activities on campus...I'm involved in Pi Beta Phi and that has definitely enhanced my experience at Wake this semester, allowing me to get to know over 100 new girls and get involved in different campus activities in a new way...It's a great way to get involved and get to meet new people and be a part of something fun and exciting...People seem to party pretty often at Wake, most parties revolve around the Greek system and off-campus fraternity house parties.

Preppy, white, wealthy, upper-middle class, un-diverse, close-minded

Katherine

considering how much we pay to go here, wake could improve a lot of things. they definitely need to get another shuttle. the dorm rooms are wayyy to small. i know the location is good and the fact that theyre 25+ years old, but they are still horribly tiny. most people are generally impressed when i say i go to wake. winston salem kind of blows since wake is buying all the bars we have. they want us to stay here but they dont want us to have fun. they dont want us to party off campus, but when frats have lounge parties they LOVE to bust them.

the black people here seem to clump together and get mad that there arent more black people, but honestly they should have known that before they came. one of wakes nicknames is 'white forest' .. all the black kids in luter isolate themselves and hate on the white kids. im not trying to sound like an asshole, but thats the truth

no. you can go to any school and find people who fit that description. sure people here are rich, but you kind of have to be to afford it here.

the one thing that sucks is no matter how hard you study, your grades usually arent as good as your friends at other schools. i have friends at shitty schools with 4.0s and they never go to class. most of my professors knew my name which was nice.

greek life seems to dominate. most people party wed, fri, and saturday. sometimes mondays too. people not involved in greek life seem to despise it though. and the administration is not exactly supporting it, even though we raise so much money for charities and actually do good tihngs, not just drink

preppy, white, snobby, rich, coke heads

Reese

Best thing: Small southern school Wake: mixed reactions: "That's a wonderful school" to "I'm sorry, where?" If you don't have a car or know someone who does, it's almost impossible to get off campus. Absolutely terrible, unorganized, financial department. Recent controversy: Naked picture of Riley Skinner

Racial not diverse people get dressed to go to class, rare to see someone in sweats (unless they're athletes or going to/coming from the gym) 4 Tables of students in the Dining hall: Athletes, Frats, God Squad, ..? Prevalent financial bg: $$$$$$$$$$

Professors know my name. People study a lot but it depends on the courses they are taking Students are competetitive but, unlike other schools, are willing to help others Unique: Feminist Fairytales

Greek life is huge on campus, although the school is trying to downplay its presence *by taking down the Greek letters on the quad) Athletic events are pretty big, especially basketball and football i'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday.. I'm studying my brains out People party a lot. There is something to do on any given day

It's widely known that Wake is at the "preppy" end of the spectrum. It's true that people wear Jack Rogers, Vinyard Vines, and Sperry Topsiders; it does look as though we're living out of a J.Crew catalog. It is also a stereotype that people hail from extremely wealthy families. The thing about stereotypes is that there is a reason why they exist, because, to some extent, it's valid. However, it would be unfair to say that EVERYONE here fit into that mold. There are people who are from middle-class families, people who are here on a full scholarship, and others who are in fact sons and daughters of CEO's. Like the world, it is a mix of people.

Ryan

I LOVE WAKE! Everyone is very nice. I think that the size is perfect because I am always meeting new people, but I also like going to any class and knowing at least one person. The class sizes are small, which is great because you really get to know your classmates and your teachers. It is so convenient that we all get computers because IS and the RTA's know how to fix everything. I spend most of my time on campus in classrooms, the library, in Benson (the student center), or in friends' rooms. There is a lot of school pride and the football games are so much fun! The entire school tailgates in a huge parking lot before every game. The most recent controversy on campus was that Faculty Apartments are becoming student dorms, which was a bummer for the faculty, but great for the students. There are a lot of fun events put on by Student Union and Student Government, like the free carnival, Shag on the Mag, and the President's Ball. The biggest student complaint is that there is not enough parking on campus, but to be honest, even the free lot off campus is closer than parking at most state schools.

Wake is not very diverse, but I do not find it to be a racist campus. The athletes stick together a lot because they are practicing so much together everyday and can relate to each other on that level, but they are intermingled in dorms and classes which is really nice. Anyone could be in the room next to the football quarterback or star of the basketball team. There are students of all types of socio-economic backgrounds. I have several friends on complete financial aid and no one would ever know it. There are many different religious groups on campus and I have never seen an prejudice against any of them. Students usually wear jeans and a t-shirt or polo shirt to class. It ranges from almost every style though. I have never seen anyone wear pajamas to class, but the athletes are usually in sweats. Wake students come from all over the country (and beyond). Literally, my friends are from everywhere.

No way! First of all, a lot of my friends are on financial aid or scholarship. Kids come from all different economic backgrounds. Diversity among race could be better, but there are students from all different countries on campus. I have friends from England, South Africa, Malaysia, Thailand, and Peru. Lastly, a lot of kids at Wake are preppy, but definitely not everyone. All types of style are welcome.

Professors definitely know your name. Some professors even invite their classes over for dinner. The classes are small which is great for discussion. The Business School has a lot of group projects, which are great to talk about during interviews. It seems that students in the Business School and pre-med have the most homework, but overall, there is a lot of studying going on. We work hard, play hard. Students are competitive, but more with themselves than each other. I have never had another student refuse to help me with something just so that they do better. Wake has a lot of academic requirements, but you do have options and it does broaden your horizons. No matter what you major if, you are going to learn a lot of valuable information for your future.

There are plenty of fun organizations and teams for any interests. Dorm doors are usually closed when the people leave, but open when someone is in the room. Football games, soccer games, and basketball games are popular to go to. Greek life is a lot of fun, but very open if you are not interested. All parties are open to everyone and all sororities and fraternities intermingle and are friends. I met my closest friends on my freshmen hall and in my sorority. The dating scene varies. There are definitely a lot of couples dating, but there are also a lot of random hookups. You can have either depending on what you are looking for. People usually go to frat parties on Fridays and Saturdays. There is also drinking usually on Wed and Thurs at bars. A lot of times the frats rent out the bars for open parties. You can also go bowling, to the movies, hiking, or visit Charlotte on the weekends.

That we are all rich, white preppy kids.

Kelsey

Wake is not in a college town. It's in a business area, and while there are good restaurants and bars scattered sparinglny, Winston-Salem is not a town that caters to the college student.

All types if you make an effort to get to know people. You'll find a lot of fake, conservative, upper class white kids, but most of them recognize their status and want to know something different.

This is a hard school. It's not fair, just like life. So, other than the fact that you're in a bubble of activity, Wake gets you used to accepting failure from time to time.

It's called Work Forest for a reason, but you'll learn a lot and learn to manage your time really well.

Greek! There are a lot of organizations around campus that you can get involved in, but the most overwhelming social scene is Greek.

Preppy, rich, stuck up, conservative

Andy

The best thing about Wake is the accessability of my teachers. With my small class sizes, my teachers always know my name. Unfortunately, one thing that I would change about this, though, is that sometimes in an effort to maintain small class sizes, it's hard to get into the classes you want because they cap them off so low. I think the size of Wake is just right. It seems like there are two categories of school sizes, 1000-3000, and 6000-8000 (small school and large school). It is not often that you find a school of 4000-5000 students. I spend most of my time either in my room or in the library because of the amount of hours I need to spend studying. There is no "college-town" per say, although the city of winston-salem has some great restaurants if you can get off campus to explore. Wake's administration is pretty controversial. There has been a lot of controversy lately over the use of faculty housing to house the surpluss of students that have been accepted into the upcoming class. The administration gave faculty until the end of the semester to find new housing, without giving appropriate compensation for the eviction. I am sure that I do not know the details of this problem, but the adminstration is not very helpful in informing the students of their actions. As far as school pride goes, it's pretty divided. Screamin' Deamons have a lot of pride in Wake's teams, but those who are not screamin' deamons tend to only go to the games against big rivals.

Wake forest has no diversity whatsoever. Most people are either Catholic or babtist, but religion is not highly stressed. Most students are of middle or upper-class background, caucasian background. A student of a lower class background, with any other ethnicity other than white American would probably feel out of place (unless they are an athlete). Most students dress nicely to class. No one looks sloppy when the come to class except the athletes (they usually wear their athletic gear). Politics are not typically discussed on campus due to the equal amount of conservative southern republicans and liberal northerners.

From my experience (if it wasn't obvious from my description), this is 100% true.

All of my professors know my name, as well as how I'm doing in their class. If they feel as though I need a little extra help before a test, they will come to me to ask if I'd like to meet. I feel as though my teachers truly care about my success in their class. My favorite class is my english class. We have been able to choose between different books to read so that the class is always enjoying what we are reading. The class is also only about 11 students, so it is a very discussion based environment. The amount that students study varies from person to person. Some people are the type that seem to be naturally smart. They can read their notes over once and memorize it. Other students, such as myself, need to study at least 4 or 5 hours a day to keep up with my work. Students are very competetive here. In fraternities and sororities, everyone wants to keep the sorority's overall gpa up, so they tend to help each other out. Other than that, though, it's all about getting a better grade than the kid next to you so that you can be helped by the curve. The most unique class I have taken at Wake was my anthropology class. Most of my other divisional classes were ones that I had already taken in high school (math, science, english, foreign language). My anthropology class was so interesting because it pertained to cultures that I had never learned about before. Aside from office hours, students tend to stay separate from their professors. I think Wake's academic requirements are way too much. I will be taking divisional classes until I graduate because I don't have enough time to focus on both my major and my divisionals. There is also a great deal of grade deflation making it nearly impossible to get A's. Education at Wake is geared toward getting a job, by means of "weeding out" the students who can not achieve the highest grades.

The most popular groups on campus are fraternities and sororities. I am in a sorority (pi beta phi). Students usually leave their doors open and welcome visitors. Athletic events are well attended given the small size of the school. Guest speakers and theater performances are not very well attended by students, but are relatively well attended by the winston-salem community. The dating scene is pretty much non-existant. I have a boyfriend but I am in a minority. I met my closest friends through my classes, surprisingly, and not my sorority. At 2 am on a Tuesday, I am absolutely sleeping and have been sleeping for a while. The main tradition at Wake is "rolling the quad" after athletic wins. After any win in basketball or football, students run out to the quad and throw toilet paper over the magnolia trees. People party pretty often (Friday, Saturday, and "wake wednesday"). Fraternities and sororities are very important because they are pretty much the only source of parties on campus. They rent out bars and have house parties. There isn't much that you can do on a Saturday nigth that doesn't involve drinking, except maybe going to a party and choosing not to drink.

The girls at wake forest are all skinny. Those who are not blond dye their hair so that they can be. Those who are pale go to tanning beds until their skin looks like orange leather. Everyone wears lily pullitzer, vineyard vines, and pearls. Everyone owns a designer purse, with designer shoes and sunglasses to match. The quality of the items obviously doesn't matter, only that the designer name is plastered across the front to show off. The guys at wake forest wear short shorts and rainbows or sperry's. Guys who join fraternities think they're "so fratty" and guys who don't are outcasts.

Wake Forest University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.