Winston-Salem, NC
Wake Forest University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Forest University

julie

-close knit campus, warm environment, -many northern people haven't heart of wake; one is either impressed or clueless -in benson working, the library, kd lounge -what college town -teachers are very involved with their students, but are under appreciated by the administration -the school lacks pride with sporting events -students complain about parking, food options, THE WORK LOAD

-i was accosted by one religious group in our dining facility; told that if i didn't take christ as my savior i would spend eternity in hell. however, most religious groups are not as forward, nor hostile. i was just really lucky i guess. -unlike most northern schools where kids bop to class in sweatpants and a sweatshirt, wake students tend to step things up a notch ... especially in the preppy direction -a lot of students at wake are on scholarship/have a great deal of financial aid, but the atmosphere seems to suggest that everyone is a trust-fund baby -students are predominantly moderately-conservative, but us democrats exist -students are very focused on their future financial standings -our campus lacks diversity -there is a group for everyone here, it just takes some students longer to find their nitch than others ... if one is artistic, tends to think outside the box, edgy and such, they have to really search for students they are compatible with.

clearly, such stereotyping does not accurately describe the student population as a whole. certain organizations and students fall into these categories more than others; certainly many students are wake are genuine beings, and yet, such stereotypes seem very applicable.

-academics are intense, professors have high expectations, students have higher expectation -wake has a great deal of academic requirements -everyone is highly concerned with getting jobs after graduation, everything appears to be a means to an end, rather than just learning for enjoyment; this isn't the fault of our professors though, the education isn't geared in such a manner, but rather it is a result of the competitive nature of students

-greek life is very active, a great deal of students are involved, it tends to dominate social life -most students leave their doors open -the theater is very active, constantly producing shows -off campus students head to the movie theater, and grab food; downtown is pretty lacking

preppy, obnoxious, rich, business oriented, anorexic, southern, smart, ivy league rejects, studious, competitive

Amelia

The best thing about Wake is the size of the classes and the communication between Professors and students. However, if I could change one thing, it would be the registration process. Almost everyone loves Wake and I only know of one person who has transferred out. Most of my time is on campus. The parties are mainly house parties, but come junior year, most people go bar hopping on the week nights. The biggest controversy is the terrible (and expensive) parking situation. Tons of school pride- just come to the quad after any sports team wins! I will always remember my sorority bid day.

For the most part, they are accurate

Love my professors... I even call one by her first name. They invite groups over to their houses for dinner on occasion. Students study ALL THE TIME. The library is a social place. Participation is common and expected. Intellectual conversations occur all the time. Wake students are the most competitive I know. I just wish the academic reputation would have more credit.

Preppy, snobby, rich, extremely smart, overachievers

Charlotte

Wake is a very tight knit community. This allows for people to have friends that branch out and overlap in different groups. If I could change anything I would update the inside of the dorms and some of the academic buildings on campus. Winston Salem is a smaller town with a somewhat declining economy. It was once a mill town and since those industries have thinned out and Wachovia has moved its head courters to Charlotte, the town is not at its best. There is quite a bit of school pride in terms of academic excellence and sports.

On the whole the people that attend Wake Forest are very preppy. Everyone walks around in polos carrying their North Face back packs with a Nalege or a cup of Starbucks in their hands. I do not think that everyone here is that snobbish. I would say that people that go to Wake are mostly still living in the sheltered bubble they grew up in and that their ignorance concerning differences can make them appear as if they have an attitude of self imposed superiority.

Due to the size of this school and its small classes, Professors become closer with their students. My favorite class was a seminar on the founding of Virginia and my least favorite class was Calculus. Students here are constantly studying and getting little sleep. Class participation due to the size of the classes in almost mandatory. Education at Wake is intense.

Activities are numerous and the social scene is always buisy.

That we are all a bunch of preppy, snobbish people.

Mary

best thing about wake is my friends and the friendly environment..I think its a great size...when people find out I am go to wake they are usually impressed...Winston is a nice town but its a little seedy in some parts and at time feels small

People do not wear pajamas to class

Wake is, in fact, a very difficult school however I do think the student body is not as homogeneous as some think it is.

overall I like the academic setting at wake...although sometimes I struggle to get the classes I want and I have a lot of school work

Some stereotypes about Wake include the term "work forest" and the idea that all students are exactly alike

Lisa

The best thing about Wake to me is that I can walk across the mag quad and I'll always be able to say hi to someone, but I know that over my four years I won't ever be able to walk across it and know everyone. There is a lot of racial tension and division, and while it is getting a lot better it is still something that proves to be frustrating. I came from a southern, all-girls high school. I thought I wanted a much bigger institution but ended up coming to Wake rather randomly, and it ended up being a perfect transition. When I tell people that I go to Wake, the reaction is usually along the lines of, "Wow, smart!" (if they've heard of it that is.) Most of my time I spend on campus is on my hall, in Benson, or in the library. The area around Wake isn't the greatest- there are a lot of muggings and break-ins, but on campus is generally pretty safe. It isn't a college town persay, but the restaurants in Winston-Salem are to die for, and there are some pretty cute areas downtown and some nice gardens near campus as well. I would say there is a decent amount of school pride. Screamin Demons is a good idea and a lot of people participate, but there is also a sort of stigma that goes along with it, especially during football season where the Greek population is usually more interested in sundresses and ties and tailgating. That being said, we have had great turnouts at our bowl games. I do know that just about everyone is proud of the institution itself as well- its hard and we know it, and that makes us feel better than the state schools and other schools around our academic level. One unusual thing about Wake is the way the Greek system is set up. With the exception of one, the fraternities and sororities have halls and lounges on campus instead of actual houses. This prompts a lot of off campus parties at satellite houses. There are also a lot of old traditions that are specific to Wake Forest as well, such as the transition from societies to sororities.

Most of the racial students that I think of are athletes, and if they aren't a lot of them still hang out with the athletes. There is definitely a division and a lot of tension. Jeans and tee shirts are pretty typical to class, although some people dress up and some dress down. Rain boots are a must though when its raining- the campus floods. Most students are from the south. More are well to do than others but that can be attributed easily to the cost. The four tables I would have to say go as follows: the Greek table, the athlete table, the Screamin Demon table, and the table of the people you always wonder why they decided to come to Wake Forest.

While the stereotype does exist, Wake has a much wider variety of people than it used to. I came into the school pretty much expecting exactly that and instead found a group of very different people that all get along instead of breaking into typical groups due to the small size of the university. A lot of the people I hang out with I have very little in common with aside from the fact that we get along. I have noticed an increase in racial diversity in the past year alone, as well. It is hard to break away from the rich stereotype though, due to the unbelievable cost of the tuition.

My least favorite class was Calculus 112. I got a five on the AP Calculus AB exam (somehow) and in return received four credit hours and was placed into the higher level calculus when I got here. My adviser recommended that I go ahead and take the class, but when I did I had a terrible teacher. He hardly taught and had incredibly confusing exams. I ended up failing the class. In class participation is extremely stressed. Most of my classes include participation as a large portion of the grade and nearly all of them have attendance policies. For older students Wake has required a ridiculous amount of core classes. The students just coming in don't have to take nearly as many, but also don't receive credit for their AP's anymore. I personally would have rather not received hours for AP exams and had less core classes to take. That being said, most majors and hours are not hard to attain, nor are they very restricting. I'm a communications major and while there are concentrations, you can pretty much do what you want with it. The ones that really want to kill themselves are the business majors.

I'm in a sorority. Greek life is pretty popular, especially for girls. It isn't too intense an experience which makes it easier for a wider span of girls to join sororities whereas they might not at other schools. The Greek system is also pretty self-involved- there isn't too much interaction between Greeks and non-Greeks, especially in respect to social life. Athletic events are pretty popular, especially in the fall. The sororities and fraternities dress up and tailgate, and a majority of the student body attends the game. My original closest friends were on my freshman hall, and some of my other ones I met in my pledge class. I am almost always awake at 2 a.m. on a Tuesday- I'm either working or out in the lounge with the girls on my hall, or both.

A lot of stereotypes include the rich, preppy, white WASP.

I love the size of the school, small enough to know someone everywhere you go but big enough to see new faces everyday. I spend most of my time in the library, my room, and in the student center.

People don't think there is much diversity on campus, because the most obvious people are the those that seem to have it all, but when you really look around, we have all sorts of people. You'll see people dressed anywhere from blazers and dresses, to jeans, to sweats for class. Politics are big on campus and while it seems like there are a lot of republicans on campus, there are a fair amount of liberals as well. Money is a big topic of conversation for some.

Somewhat, but you can find it all.

Most of my professors know my name, the class sizes are small enough for them to get involved with their students. It is not an easy school, the library is usually pretty crowded and I know I at least was used to a much lighter course load coming into school. Education is both aimed at learning for the sake of acquiring knowledge and making connections to find a job out of college.

Intramural and Greek life are huge. I'm involved in Greek life and there's no reason not to do it, you can be as much or little involved as you want. Freshman leave their doors open for the most part, many upperclassmen do if they know the people in their suite. Football games are our most attended. My friends I met on my hall freshman year and through my sorority. People party heavily Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.

The best thing about Wake is the small size with big resources...great athletics and amazing reputation, yet there aren't too many students. Yea sometimes it feels like a little bubble because, as a senior, I sometimes feel like I know most everyone, but most of the time it is a nice feeling. People are usually impressed when I say I go to Wake, not only for the academics but amazing athletics! "What college town"...yea besides Wake there isn't much to do in Winston-Salem. W-S has improved in my four years here, and W-S only has plans to get better. But, there is so much going on at Wake and with Wake students that there isn't really a need to look elsewhere.

Somewhat. I would only agree with the stereotypes to an extent. Obviously most of the students are smart due to who the admissions staff lets in the shcool. As for being preppy, yea a lot of people wear sun dresses to football games, but there are also a lot of people who don't. I would say for every preppy person there is someone the exact opposite. I am southern, but the majority of the friends I have made at Wake are from above the Mason-Dixon line.

I hate going to class, but who really likes class? All nighters and adderrall. Unfortunately, thats how it is. Class participation is terrible. Every teacher requires it...so you are always stuck in class with the annoying kid who never shuts up.

Sororities and Fraternities are definately very present on campus. I can't imagine life without being involved in Greek life, but several students aren't. Athletics are very popular. The football team improved during the 2006 season with a trip to the Orange Bowl. Wake and the ACC is known for Basketball...basketball games are fun. Men's soccer won the NCAA tournament in 2007, which was amazing. So, I would say we have amazing athletics for the small size of our school, and the students really get into sporting events. 2am on a Tuesday...either studying or coming home from Fox and Hound, a popular sports bar. Partying within the Greek scene is pretty popular. As an upper classmen, I would say, Wednesday-Saturday is pretty typical. Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking?? I don't think I have ever done that.

Most people think of a typical Wake student as being a smart, preppy, southern.

Sasha

The best thing is the closeness of the campus. I think the size is just right. People react well when they learn I attend Wake. I spend most of my time in my dorm. "What college town" I don't really have an opinion about the administration. Biggest controversy is the increase in tuition. Tons of school pride. Most frequent complaint is about the college town

My professors know my name. Favorite class is biology. Least favorite is History. I study for at least 3-4 hours a day. Class participation is very common. Students do have intellectual conversations outside class. Students are very competitive. Most unique class would be RAD. My major is biology. I do not spend time with professors outside class, however I intend to change that. Wake's academic requirements are very rigorous, but i think they have to be that way. I think the education is geared towards both.

Greek organizations are the most popular on campus. i am involved in Kappa Delta. Students tend to leave their doors open. Athletic events are popular. Guest speakers and theater events are mildly so. There is no dating scene. My closest friends were either on my freshman dorm hall or in my sorority. If i am awake at 2am on Tuesday i am probably studying. I go to movies on saturday nights

Wake is a school rich kids. Preppy kids

Kat

the best thing is the small community feel, small class sizes, and great academics-- you get out of it what you put into it. I'd definitely create more room for parking- maybe a well designed parking garage that still uphold the building integrity.

wake has a fairly diverse student body although it stereotypically does not- that has not been my experience. we have a variety of racial, religious, and socio-economic backgrounds represented on campus. to say that we don't is to ignore the reality of the campus. it really depends on the student in terms of who is politically aware, who is politcially left, right, center, etc. those types are things are not uniform for the student body and should definitely be looked at on an individual basis.

they are for some students but certainly not for others, not for the majority

professors know names almost always. students study a good bit, but also make plenty of time for going out/partying. there is definitely a balance of the 2. wake students do have intellectual conversation outside of class and the students are competitive. depending on the major, Wake can either be geared toward learning for its own sake or for getting a job- but i think almost any wake graduate has a great opportunity to get a decent job upon graduation if they try hard enough.

sororities and fraternities are very popular groups on campus because they provide such a range of things to do from service to social activities. We really support our athletic teams- especially basketball and football- those are some of my fondest memories on campus. If i'm awake at 2am on Tuesday I'm either hanging out with friends in a social setting or doing schoolwork. Different groups of people party at different times, there is a party every night if you are looking for one.

rich, preppy, snobby, spoiled brats, don't appreciate money, closed minded, naive

Vanessa

So many more attractive girls than guys....and I'm a girl saying that! Everyone runs or goes to the gym...I lost weight my Freshman year! Greek life is huge, but more so you just need to be apart of it to be known than it necessarily controls your social life.

Yes and No...Everyone at Wake is very well-rounded and involved. They also all seem to come from similar backgrounds - at least in the social circles I run in, which is mostly Greek and Athletic Teams. The kids come from all over the East Coast, but definitely hang out with people from similar places.

Challenging! The classes here are hard...you will work harder here for a 3.5 then you would at Duke, UVA, Vanderbilt, or BC. But also you don't have TA's teach you, you get to know your professors, and you are getting a legitimate education. They aren't teaching you to get a job - if they were they would try to boost your GPA - they are teaching you to make you think.

'School' related activities are pretty under the radar...Football games are fun because they are a huge tailgate, besides that I don't know who attends all of the student government activities. Fraternity parties and athletic parties dominate the weekends - except Sunday when you can find EVERYONE in the library.

Preppy, Southern, Smart, Homogeneous, Overachievers

Wake Forest University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.