Winston-Salem, NC
Wake Forest University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Forest University

Kory

I think the most unique aspect of Wake Forest is its size. While the campus is small enough to navigate around in fifteen minutes, the facilities it boasts are impressive. A wide variety of academic curriculum are available, and with a small community comes small class sizes and the opportunity for better teacher-student interaction. The prestige of the campus in relation to its size cannot be overstated. It is simply one of the most well-known small schools left. In addition, the community on campus is distinctly set apart from the town, but the town is close enough to drive to and experience.

There are literally too many popular student activities/groups to list here. Whether it is the vibrant Greek life scene on campus, or the thriving media organizations, students are quick to find their niche here at Wake. Even the Division I athletic teams we boast are exciting to support during their regular seasons. Parties are common, and every Wednesday is the only week day you will find available to relieve the stress of Wake Forest's academic rigor. The university owns the motto: "Study hard, Party harder."

One word: rigorous. You will work hard to receive a good education here. It's not impossible to get a high GPA, but it is tough. You will often see students studying into the wee hours of the morning on any given day of the week. The students are competitive only insofar as they are intelligent, which almost every person at Wake is. It is common to see lines at a professor's door for office hour discussion. You will have to fulfill a number of divisional requirements for any degree from the university, and the requirements for each major are different.

There is a stereotype that many students who attend Wake Forest are rich, pretentious jerks who have graduated from some iconic private school somewhere. I'd be lying if I said this stereotype was entirely untrue, as the university's prestige and somewhat expensive tuition tends to draw those with this kind of personality and background. However, both the multicultural program and student organizations have blossomed in recent years, allowing for a more diverse student body as a whole. Whatever interests you identify with will surely be accommodated here.

Toni

When I began receiving information about Wake during my senior year in high school, my very first thought was, "everyone who goes to Wake Forest must be snobby and rich,". The school looked so elite in the brochures, and I thought I didn't have a chance of being accepted. However, I applied anyway and, amazingly, I was accepted. I didn't know of the school's fantastic reputation at first, but once I began telling people that I was accepted, I was quickly schooled on how great of a school Wake is. When I visited the campus for the first time, I knew that I wanted to spend my undergrad years here. Everyone was actually extremely nice; I honestly did not meet a single person-faculty, staff, student, or otherwise-that was not willing to talk to me about the school. I love the close-knit feel of the campus; the student body isn't too large or too small. All of the students here are very academic, but are able to find a good balance of work and play. We have so many fun campus traditions, like Seize the Quad, LoveFeast, and Rolling the Quad. The one thing that troubles me about the school is, however, the financial commitment it requires. I come from a humble background, so paying for my education at Wake has been a struggle at times. Despite this. the financial aid department is extremely helpful in directing you to scholarships and working with your family's finances. Honestly, although Wake is expensive, I feel that you definitely get what you pay for. I 100% believe that I am receiving a top notch, quality education, surrounded by amazingly bright students. Coming out of Wake Forest with a degree will definitely turn a few heads and garner a few respectful head nods!

Wake Forest students are some of the brightest people I have ever met. Everyone works hard in their classes and still finds time to participate in campus activities. Although Wake is majority Caucasian, there is a strong multicultural aspect to the school. Lots of activities are sponsored by the Office of Multicultural Affairs, and we actually just welcomed a new LGBTQ center to campus. A lot of students here do come from wealthy backgrounds, but in general all financial backgrounds are represented. Unlike most colleges, students at Wake DO NOT wear pajamas to class. I was a little upset at this my first year due to my idea of college life that was grown from watching too many movies, but I came to accept it. Students here don't get extremely dressed up just to go to class, but I would say that students like to show their personalities through their clothes. I have to say that most of the students I see wear clothes on the preppier side, but I've seen other fashions and styles as well. Although a lot of students come from wealthy backgrounds, a lot of students find time to give back to the community. Everyone I have met has genuinely been very nice, and although there are the usual cliques like at every other school, a lot of people have friends with different interests and backgrounds.

Students here often call the school by its endearing nickname, "Work Forest". Yes, the academics at Wake Forest are intense. Yes, you will have a lot of work in a lot of your classes. Yes, you will be stressed sometimes. But in my opinion, the workload is entirely manageable if you practice good time management skills and-this is important-become familiar with your professors! Wake professors are all so helpful to their students. Every professor I have had is completely willing to meet with students to provide help on assignments, give advice, or just talk. I have even had a few professors who have invited students to their houses for casual dinners. The professors here know that Wake Forest students are intelligent, so they don't baby us. The work they assign is challenging, but they are never unwilling to provide their services in the forms of clarification or just support. Students here are very involved in their schoolwork. Students study a lot and do very well in their classes, but unlike some other schools known for high academic achievement, I feel that Wake students know when to relax and the importance of relieving stress by having a good time. Every department has amazing professors and staff (but personally, being a Psychology and English double major, I may be a little biased towards those departments!). Generally, Wake demands a lot of its students academically, but in the end it is to the student's benefit. I have learned so much during my time here, and no amount of stress that I have felt over the years can sway me to bemoan the rigor with which professors teach their students or the greatness that the professors expect of the students.

I would say the biggest stereotype of Wake Forest students is that we are all wealthy. This is definitely not the case, although some students are obviously wealthy. Wake is home to students from all walks of life. I myself come from an extremely humble background, but I have made some amazing friends here who come from more wealthy backgrounds, as well as from backgrounds that are less wealthy than mine. Without a doubt, I have met many students here who, despite their family's either good or bad financial situations, demonstrate Wake's motto of Pro Humanitate perfectly. Wake students are tremendously dedicated to service within the community, whether it be through fundraising for good causes or simply volunteering their time in the community.

Molly

I think Wake Forest is the perfect balance of several factors that students consider when choosing a college. The size is just right for the student who wants individual attention and small class sizes, but does not want to attend a tiny school where they feel like they know everyone. I have made personal connections with almost all of my professors and I have grown academically through the small class discussions that are typical in classes. However, I have also enjoyed the feeling of being on a decent sized campus and the opportunity to meet new people all of the time. Wake Forest is the perfect mix of the small academic environment and the Division I sports of a large university. I think that this school also allows for students to find balance between school and outside activities. Obviously our academic reputation is stellar and we are commonly referred to as "Work Forest." Academics are a definite emphasis and the work load can be overwhelming. However, there are so many opportunities to get involved on campus and in the community. Most students are involved in at least three activities outside of their school work and they find ways to make time for fun. I have been so grateful for the friends I have made here, who have been understanding whenever I need to cancel a social activity for school work, but are always willing to take fun study breaks.

It may seem apparent that any student paying over $50,000 a year for a Wake Forest education comes from a wealthy background, and it is definitely true. Students wear name-brand and designer clothing almost all the time and there are a large amount of nice cars in the student parking lot. I think someone from a disadvantaged family might feel out of place here, because students are constantly spending money on a sorority t-shirt each week or trips to the frozen yogurt shop down the street. However, I have met very few "snobs" who flaunt their money. Students are very friendly and will be genuinely kind to everyone, despite their economic background. One of the things that has impressed me is the incredibly geographical diversity of students. I have friends from California, Kansas, Texas, New Jersey, Florida, and every place in between. This is not a "suitcase college" where students are leaving every weekend, because students are simply too far away from home to swing by for the weekend. Being from Ohio, this has made my weekends so enjoyable to have so much time with my other friends from far away.

We are commonly referred to as "Work Forest," meaning that the work load is definitely rough. However, I find that all of the work I do is worthwhile and beneficial to my overall education. Students study around 4-6 hours each day, which can seem daunting but becomes a habit of life here. I have thoroughly enjoyed almost all of my classes. We have a liberal arts curriculum, so the first two years of college are largely spent fulfilling divisional requirements. I have learned so much through these divisionals, particularly the educational policy and practice course that I am currently taking. I have been pushed intellectually to really consider the educational issues our society is facing and I have slowly formed my opinion of what needs to be done to create change. This class has really developed my interest in education, to the point where I may go on to pursue a career in education. This class was mostly discussion based, so I have had many opportunities to debate my ideas with other students who were going through the same intellectual thought process as me. Almost every one of my professors has known me by name and met with me personally in their office hours. I never imagined I would get this personal of an experience at the college level. I have been invited to two professors' homes for dinner and another professor has set up times when we can meet him at a local bakery to talk. Overall, the environment has been very nurturing, but still challenging and intellectually stimulating. The professors do an excellent job of guiding students along in their thought process, while not babying them along the way.

While this stereotype is accurate for the most part, the university is more diverse than it may seem at first glance. You will definitely see girls in Lily Pulitzer dresses and guys wearing suits and bow ties at tailgates before the football games. The amount of Lily Pulitzer planners and cell phone cases I see in class is extreme, but there are definitely students who stray from this stereotype. If you are not a fan of the preppy style, there are certainly a number of students who come to class dressed in normal casual clothes, but it is rare to see a student come to class in sweatpants. I have found that the students tend to take pride in this stereotype because they believe it is a good way to begin preparing for the real world. Students are conscious of the fact that in a few years they will be expected to show up to work in business attire and they feel that they need to begin dressing professionally now as they make connections with their professors and classmates.

If I could go back in time to and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would worn myself about the amount of homework, studying, and late nights it would take to make sure I received good grades. I would also worn myself about the amount of money it would take. I would also tell myself that I needed to be more serious about my homework and what type of grades I wanted to received. I received A’s and B’s and still had extracurricular activities. My extracurricular activities included 4-H and showing steers all through middle and high school. I was very successful in showing as well as doing homework while I was at shows. I believe I was already ready for college other than finding out that my parents weren’t going to help me when I started my bachelors program.

Rebecca

Wake is best know for the amount of work it demands of its students, giving it the nickname "Work Forest".

I tell my friends that I'm at a top 25 school and that my professors are some of the most intelligent in their fields.

Landon

Its a relatively small school with a rather close-knit community with high academic standing. In addition, it is probably one of the most expensive schools in the nation.

I would tell myself to not back down on scholarship applications, I know I did a lot, but there can never be too many. I also needed to develope some sort of study habit while things were simpler before I was thrown into the high stress environment of a college campus. In addition to that, it would have been useful to incorporate a balance between academic and social life with that study habit so that freshman year would not become a crash course. Overachieving in high school is one thing, but you can quickly burn yourself out in your freshman year of college, it is a bad idea to take 17 hours including Spanish 153 and Math 112 in your first semester. A last word of advise would be to keep an open mind even in the face of the small town mentality or else it will quickly be opened for you once you are put in with other people of similar academic standing.

Lower-middle to middle class students, poor students can get the financial aid they need and you have to be rich to pay full tuition. Also, people who are not easily motivated or get distracted in a social atmosphere.

Jade

The amount of attention that is given to individual students when they have questions or concerns especially from the financial aid department.

Don't get stressed out about how much it costs or whether or not you can afford it. You can find a way if you try hard enough. Don't get stressed out about the small things. Focus on the larger picture and you will get everything done and on time. Pay close attention to details and times and dates.

The closeness and school spirit. My high school was like this and it was a very easy transition. It felt as if I never left home.

Brandy

Be absolutley all you can be. Do your best the first time because it is very hard to get your GPA up but it's not hard at all to drop it. Take in what you learn for learning and knowledge are great life leasons. Take good notes and keep them until your done with college, they come in handy a couple years down the road. Some of mine have still been good to have around all these years later. Make good friends that will support you and help you through college and not keep you out all night long. Studying is not as bad as you might think, and using index cards for notes to study with are the best. Don't be afraid to ask questions during class or get extra help after class, you are only hurting yourself if you don't learn the material. Who cares what other people think of you as long as you are doing the right thing. And of course enjoy your college years, have fun and take in the experience. Look at it as a life long achievement and not something that is boring.

Holly

Someone who is looking for a wide range of cultural and ethnic diversity. While there is some diversity, the campus is predominantly white and lacks a lot of mixing between different races, typically because the African American students on campus are mainly athletes. While the travel opportunities to different countries is execellent, if you are wanting a college experience where cultural diversity plays a large part in it, Wake Forest is not the place to be.

You have plenty of time to figure out what exactly you want to do. Take the time to consider all the aspects of the college you are looking to go to - everything from sports to study abroad to academics to setting to activities to the Greek scene. While looking at academic fields that you are considering is good, it is more than that that defines your college experience. It's okay to be undecided, you are able to take classes for fun and pursue your interests, which in the end will reveal how you can make your passion and the needs of the world meet and where you are called to work. To help with the transition, look for solid people to build community with, they are invaluable in guiding, helping, and encouraging you. Also, don't be afraid to get out there and try something new - you will discover new loves and hobbies!

the best thing about Wake Forest is the fact that it is a small university with the opportunities of a big university. To be a school of approximately 4500 students it is unbelievable. Wake Forest plays in the ACC and division I ball, so there are good sports. The Study Abroad Office pre-approves between 200 and 400 programs a year for students to go on. We have excellent faculty and research opportunities. Yet, it is impossible to cross campus without seeing someone you know and the community feeling is very strong here, thanks to the small size.

Christina

When people ask you how you’re feeling about going to college, I know you respond with how excited you are, and you joke about how your parents can’t wait to get you out of the house. But inside, I know you’re still anxious about starting over, worried about moving away from your home, your friends, seemingly your life. I want you to know that everything will be okay. That while your classes will be harder than high school, you’ll work hard and do just as well. That, yes, you should talk to that guy that you would normally shy away from, and no, you shouldn’t immediately judge your hallmates by your first impression of them. Keep as open a mind as possible and try EVERYTHING. You might just shock yourself with what you end up enjoying, and you’ll learn more about yourself that way than you ever imagined you couldn't have already known. The cliché is true – college is in fact a new chapter of your life. But just remember that it is your book, and it’s up to you to make sure that you like the ending.

A person who is willing to work hard to get the grades he is used to, wants a smaller school, is not fazed by preppiness, doesn't need a huge amount of diversity in the student population

I wish I had known just how big Greek life is. If you don't join a fraternity or sorority, there can be a lack in social opportunities.

Wake Forest University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.