Winston-Salem, NC
Wake Forest University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Forest University

Tristan

Wake is a highly ranked, fairly demanding, and overall good school. It is a relatively small school, which can be a good or bad thing, depending on your perspective. On the one hand, this allows for small classes familiar surroundings. But on the other hand, the school's small size, combined with its location in the suburbs, makes the school feel pretty isolated. Living on campus can feel like living in a bubble at times, so it's recommended that you get off campus pretty often to keep things fresh. It's almost imperative to either own or know someone with a car, as you need one to get around the city. The city, Winston-Salem, is a midsize city with a metropolitan population of about 500,000. There are tons of places to eat, a large mall/many shopping areas, and a nice little downtown. There's not much in the way of nightlife (from what I hear; I'm not into the party scene), but there are tons of parties on campus anyway, so that takes care of itself. Also, the city's within an hour of Charlotte and Greensboro, which are NC's 1st and 3rd largest cities, respectively.

The stereotypes are somewhat accurate. There are a lot of upper class white kids here, but there is a fair amount of diversity. Many students (like myself) come from lower middle class families, and are able to attend as a result of good financial aid. Also, there is a good amount of racial diversity. Blacks and Asians are pretty well represented, and the rest have at least a few people. As far as the "smart kid" stereotype, that's a pretty accurate one. Just about everyone who goes here is a pretty intelligent individual. However, many students chose to go to Wake because they were rejected by a higher ranked school (namely, Ivy League schools or Duke). But others (once again, like myself) chose Wake over other schools because of its unique personality.

Student-teacher ratio at Wake is small, so your professors will know you name, and are very accessible. Students are generally motivated to make good grades, but unfortunately, few are interested in learning or engaging the material in class. Most of the people here are studious, but learning isn't a huge priority for most of them. The professors at Wake are definitely geared toward teaching the subject for learning's sake (as opposed to training students for a job), so if you're actually interested in being educated, a little self-discipline will get you there.

For people who know the school well, the main stereotype is that students are white, upper class preps. However, the average person you run into just thinks that Wake is a school for smart kids.

I really can't find much wrong about my school, I love attending and hope to be able to contine. If I had to find anything wrong with my school I'd say the flodding problem we have is the worst. It rains a lot in Winston-Salem, but our school does not have a good drain system so it always floods. So bring a pair of rain boots!

The type of person that should not bother applying is someone who is lazy and wants an easy-A. The majority of students were in the top ten-percentile in high school and as I quickly learned, it is not easy to achieve the same academic standing here. The education is incredible, but if you do not want to put in many hours at the library and are not interested in working hard, do not attend Wake Forest!

If I could go back in time I would give myself two pieces of advice. The first would be that if I cannot pronounce the name of my calculus professor, take it with someone else! Websites like Wakeratings.com , or Rateyourprofessor.com, will be extremely useful when trying to decide on classes, so use them.My second piece of advice to myself would be much more general and something that everyone should go into college with. I would say be open to trying new things, joining new clubs, and opening up to people. Do not judge anyone or how far you think your friendship with them can go before you get to know them. Everyone is nervous and going through the same thing as you are, so let loose and talk to everyone!

The culture is unlike any school I've ever visited. It just has a feeling when you walk on campus.

I would tell myself to relax and not stress out so much; that I can trust in my own abilities. I would tell myself that I will make friendships that will last a lifetime and enjoy an education that will alter my life.

Someone who is classy, cultural, and concerned with the future of our society and world should attend Wake Forest.

Rosalva

My classmates are highly intellectual in class (most of them being from more northern states such as New Jersey and New York). If someone is struggling with the material, then we form study groups. So, when they work, they work wisely because after work comes the fun time.

The best thing about my school is the size. I grew up in a city with a population of about 5,000 people so I wanted to attend a college that is rather small so that I would feel home to minimize feeling homesick.

Out of my college experience, I have learned that time management is one of the keys to success. I am in the process of managing time wisely because if I do not take opportunity of any free time I may have to do work or to take care of other businesses, then I am sacraficing my sleeping time. It is valuable to attend college for many reasons to me. First, I am first generation in my family and I am being a role model not only to my two younger siblings but also to the Hispanic community. Secondly, I personally would like to further my education in order to obtain a better job for a better life. Finally, I would like to demonstrate to my parents that all their efforts in raising my siblings and I among other hardships in the U.S. is not in vain because as time progresses the family is a step closer to acheiving the "American Dream."

My classmates are a mix of people, with most of them being the preppy, southern type--not too much of a variety, although some can be found if you look.

Beyond a doubt the most frustrating thing at Wake Forest is Parking Management. While it is nice that any student, regardless of year in attendance, can bring a car to school with them, convenient parking on campus is scarce, WFU Parking is quick with their tickets and strict on their policies, and the parking passes are purchased at astronomical prices. My current parking pass cost me $500 for the semester. As a freshman it cost me $200, and I had to park off campus, a good 15-20 minute walk from my dorm.

Home, family, community: three things that every high school graduate fears losing as they embark on the adventure that is a college education. I chose my university based upon the academics and opportunities that would be offered, and hoped that all the rest would fall into place. Those words defined the first eighteen years of my life, and for some reason I was not focusing on them as I chose my potential colleges. In hindsight, that was a fairly high hope and an awful lot to leave to chance. The broadening of my educational horizons, discovering myself and unknown passions, is the reason that I was excited to attend college. What I did not know was that I would find what I had left behind: a community in the residence halls, my classes and even late night library inhabitants, a family of friends, professors and administrators always willing to help me, and a home, one that now feels more like the place I belong than my own hometown does. My college experience has taught me to adapt to the community around me and to create my own web of relations to make anywhere I am feel like a true home.

Paige

I would say that my college experience has just begun and I couldn't be more excited. I'm from California and I go to school in North Carolina, so being that far away from home has really taught me a lot. It has taught me how to be on my own and also how to deal with weather! I've also learned new academic skills like close reading, in depth research, and how to write long papers and not ramble. I've also improved my skills in self-motivation because without it doing homework that professors don't check would be very difficult! I believe going to college period, but in particular to Wake Forest, has been extremely valuable to me and to my family. I'm a first generation college student and not only has it started to shape me into a better, more educated person, but it has also changed my family for the better in ways I haven't even been able to identify yet, expect for that I have continued to inspire the younger generations in my family to continue their education.

How amazing my school is and all the opportunities that are available to me.

Kelsey

My school has a very small homey campus. Everyone is very nice and willing to help out. This is something that I didn't find at larger schools.

Wake Forest has a very driven and hard working student body. If you are looking for a party school and lots of free time, this is not the place for you. They don't call it "Work Forest" for nothing.

I have learned so much in the year and a half that I have been in college. Since being in college I have found that I have an insatiable hunger for knowledge. I want to learn as much as I possibly can and this is the perfect setting to do so. I have been able to surround myself with others that feel the same way and we fuel each other’s burning desire to learn. Helping others learn who want to learn as much as I do has been a really great experience. Not only have I learned academically but I have also learned a lot about myself. I joined the crew team when I first got to school and it has been an experience that has allowed me to push myself to my physical and mental limits. Through that I have realize that I am still in one piece, that what I thought were limits were really only imaginary walls that I could break down with a little practice. It has taught me to push myself in every respect, even when I’m afraid that there is nowhere to go.

Maria

My college experience, thus far, has taught me that the best is still yet to come. I am constantly learning new things about myself. As I gradually learn more about myself, by attending cultural events, sports games, and through my studies, I find that the person I am becoming makes me a generally happier person. I am learning that taking risks and trying new experiences is something that can only help me find who I am. I have learned that it is acceptable to be unique and be comfortable with who I am. No matter where I go, I can find my niche. It has been a valuable experience because without it, I would not be as confident, outgoing, and comfortable with whom I am. The demands of being a full-time student and being a student-athlete has taught me that my identity does not lie within what I do, but how I do it and the persona I carry. By my choice, I can be above a label or a stereotype. My college experience has been valuable because I have learned more about myself here, than I could have anywhere else.

The best thing about Wake Forest is that nearly every student sets their goals high and dreams big. The campus is filled with students who refuse to settle for anything less than the best. Partly because other students are always competing to get better grades and contribute to the community, it makes me a better person. Being around people who thrive on competition and success helps me get better, as well. The student body as a whole is constantly encouraging me to step outside my comfort zone and try new things and adventures.

As a student athlete, I wish I would have known the time commitment required to compete in my sport and be a successful student. Time-management skills and awareness is necessary to survive at this school. Initially, it was really difficult to manage a social, athletic, and academic life. The demand of my sport far exceeded my expectations, but with it comes a greater reward and self-satisfaction. I wish I could have fully understood the demands of athletics and academics, because combined they create two giant monsters.

Kelsey

College has grown me as a person. I have learned more about who I am in two semesters of college than I ever did in four years of college. My teachers have challenged my academically and personally to do my best not only for myself but for the children I will work with in the future. It is important to know who you are when it comes to working with children because the inner things you struggle with will be challenged with kids. So if you know now, as a student, you can conquer or find a productive way to work with the children and your flaws. Also the better you know yourself; it makes it easier to work with other people. You can work with any child or adult when you can look at them impartially instead of judgmentally. College has been a valuable experience for me because I have learned all this. If I had not I’m not sure working with children, or anyone, would be as enjoyable in the future.

Charles

While attending CCBC Dundalk, I have learned many techniques to help prepare me for a 4 year university. I have learned great study habits, short hand wrtiing, and time management. Not only has this experience prepared me for the next level of education(4-year university), but has taught me how to speak properly and how to comprehend what I read. One class that has helped me alot in community college was my ACDV class. This class has taught me everythnig about CCBC, time management, what credits transfer to university's, and helped me setup my upcoming semesters, with classes that are required for an Engineering Degree. I would agree that going to college and taking the classes that I have taken so far are very valuable knowing the credits go towards my degree. Also these classes are preparing me for the University I would like to attend to so I can continure taking the necessary classes to recieve my Master's in Aurospace Engineering. Therefore, not only is this college experience valuable to me, but also very valuable to my family since they have put in alot of effort into helping me be a very successful graduate.

Wake Forest University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.