Winston-Salem, NC
Wake Forest University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Forest University

Landon

Its a relatively small school with a rather close-knit community with high academic standing. In addition, it is probably one of the most expensive schools in the nation.

I would tell myself to not back down on scholarship applications, I know I did a lot, but there can never be too many. I also needed to develope some sort of study habit while things were simpler before I was thrown into the high stress environment of a college campus. In addition to that, it would have been useful to incorporate a balance between academic and social life with that study habit so that freshman year would not become a crash course. Overachieving in high school is one thing, but you can quickly burn yourself out in your freshman year of college, it is a bad idea to take 17 hours including Spanish 153 and Math 112 in your first semester. A last word of advise would be to keep an open mind even in the face of the small town mentality or else it will quickly be opened for you once you are put in with other people of similar academic standing.

Lower-middle to middle class students, poor students can get the financial aid they need and you have to be rich to pay full tuition. Also, people who are not easily motivated or get distracted in a social atmosphere.

Jade

The amount of attention that is given to individual students when they have questions or concerns especially from the financial aid department.

Don't get stressed out about how much it costs or whether or not you can afford it. You can find a way if you try hard enough. Don't get stressed out about the small things. Focus on the larger picture and you will get everything done and on time. Pay close attention to details and times and dates.

The closeness and school spirit. My high school was like this and it was a very easy transition. It felt as if I never left home.

Brandy

Be absolutley all you can be. Do your best the first time because it is very hard to get your GPA up but it's not hard at all to drop it. Take in what you learn for learning and knowledge are great life leasons. Take good notes and keep them until your done with college, they come in handy a couple years down the road. Some of mine have still been good to have around all these years later. Make good friends that will support you and help you through college and not keep you out all night long. Studying is not as bad as you might think, and using index cards for notes to study with are the best. Don't be afraid to ask questions during class or get extra help after class, you are only hurting yourself if you don't learn the material. Who cares what other people think of you as long as you are doing the right thing. And of course enjoy your college years, have fun and take in the experience. Look at it as a life long achievement and not something that is boring.

Holly

Someone who is looking for a wide range of cultural and ethnic diversity. While there is some diversity, the campus is predominantly white and lacks a lot of mixing between different races, typically because the African American students on campus are mainly athletes. While the travel opportunities to different countries is execellent, if you are wanting a college experience where cultural diversity plays a large part in it, Wake Forest is not the place to be.

You have plenty of time to figure out what exactly you want to do. Take the time to consider all the aspects of the college you are looking to go to - everything from sports to study abroad to academics to setting to activities to the Greek scene. While looking at academic fields that you are considering is good, it is more than that that defines your college experience. It's okay to be undecided, you are able to take classes for fun and pursue your interests, which in the end will reveal how you can make your passion and the needs of the world meet and where you are called to work. To help with the transition, look for solid people to build community with, they are invaluable in guiding, helping, and encouraging you. Also, don't be afraid to get out there and try something new - you will discover new loves and hobbies!

the best thing about Wake Forest is the fact that it is a small university with the opportunities of a big university. To be a school of approximately 4500 students it is unbelievable. Wake Forest plays in the ACC and division I ball, so there are good sports. The Study Abroad Office pre-approves between 200 and 400 programs a year for students to go on. We have excellent faculty and research opportunities. Yet, it is impossible to cross campus without seeing someone you know and the community feeling is very strong here, thanks to the small size.

Christina

When people ask you how you’re feeling about going to college, I know you respond with how excited you are, and you joke about how your parents can’t wait to get you out of the house. But inside, I know you’re still anxious about starting over, worried about moving away from your home, your friends, seemingly your life. I want you to know that everything will be okay. That while your classes will be harder than high school, you’ll work hard and do just as well. That, yes, you should talk to that guy that you would normally shy away from, and no, you shouldn’t immediately judge your hallmates by your first impression of them. Keep as open a mind as possible and try EVERYTHING. You might just shock yourself with what you end up enjoying, and you’ll learn more about yourself that way than you ever imagined you couldn't have already known. The cliché is true – college is in fact a new chapter of your life. But just remember that it is your book, and it’s up to you to make sure that you like the ending.

A person who is willing to work hard to get the grades he is used to, wants a smaller school, is not fazed by preppiness, doesn't need a huge amount of diversity in the student population

I wish I had known just how big Greek life is. If you don't join a fraternity or sorority, there can be a lack in social opportunities.

Tristan

Wake is a highly ranked, fairly demanding, and overall good school. It is a relatively small school, which can be a good or bad thing, depending on your perspective. On the one hand, this allows for small classes familiar surroundings. But on the other hand, the school's small size, combined with its location in the suburbs, makes the school feel pretty isolated. Living on campus can feel like living in a bubble at times, so it's recommended that you get off campus pretty often to keep things fresh. It's almost imperative to either own or know someone with a car, as you need one to get around the city. The city, Winston-Salem, is a midsize city with a metropolitan population of about 500,000. There are tons of places to eat, a large mall/many shopping areas, and a nice little downtown. There's not much in the way of nightlife (from what I hear; I'm not into the party scene), but there are tons of parties on campus anyway, so that takes care of itself. Also, the city's within an hour of Charlotte and Greensboro, which are NC's 1st and 3rd largest cities, respectively.

The stereotypes are somewhat accurate. There are a lot of upper class white kids here, but there is a fair amount of diversity. Many students (like myself) come from lower middle class families, and are able to attend as a result of good financial aid. Also, there is a good amount of racial diversity. Blacks and Asians are pretty well represented, and the rest have at least a few people. As far as the "smart kid" stereotype, that's a pretty accurate one. Just about everyone who goes here is a pretty intelligent individual. However, many students chose to go to Wake because they were rejected by a higher ranked school (namely, Ivy League schools or Duke). But others (once again, like myself) chose Wake over other schools because of its unique personality.

Student-teacher ratio at Wake is small, so your professors will know you name, and are very accessible. Students are generally motivated to make good grades, but unfortunately, few are interested in learning or engaging the material in class. Most of the people here are studious, but learning isn't a huge priority for most of them. The professors at Wake are definitely geared toward teaching the subject for learning's sake (as opposed to training students for a job), so if you're actually interested in being educated, a little self-discipline will get you there.

For people who know the school well, the main stereotype is that students are white, upper class preps. However, the average person you run into just thinks that Wake is a school for smart kids.

I really can't find much wrong about my school, I love attending and hope to be able to contine. If I had to find anything wrong with my school I'd say the flodding problem we have is the worst. It rains a lot in Winston-Salem, but our school does not have a good drain system so it always floods. So bring a pair of rain boots!

The type of person that should not bother applying is someone who is lazy and wants an easy-A. The majority of students were in the top ten-percentile in high school and as I quickly learned, it is not easy to achieve the same academic standing here. The education is incredible, but if you do not want to put in many hours at the library and are not interested in working hard, do not attend Wake Forest!

If I could go back in time I would give myself two pieces of advice. The first would be that if I cannot pronounce the name of my calculus professor, take it with someone else! Websites like Wakeratings.com , or Rateyourprofessor.com, will be extremely useful when trying to decide on classes, so use them.My second piece of advice to myself would be much more general and something that everyone should go into college with. I would say be open to trying new things, joining new clubs, and opening up to people. Do not judge anyone or how far you think your friendship with them can go before you get to know them. Everyone is nervous and going through the same thing as you are, so let loose and talk to everyone!

The culture is unlike any school I've ever visited. It just has a feeling when you walk on campus.

I would tell myself to relax and not stress out so much; that I can trust in my own abilities. I would tell myself that I will make friendships that will last a lifetime and enjoy an education that will alter my life.

Someone who is classy, cultural, and concerned with the future of our society and world should attend Wake Forest.

Rosalva

My classmates are highly intellectual in class (most of them being from more northern states such as New Jersey and New York). If someone is struggling with the material, then we form study groups. So, when they work, they work wisely because after work comes the fun time.

The best thing about my school is the size. I grew up in a city with a population of about 5,000 people so I wanted to attend a college that is rather small so that I would feel home to minimize feeling homesick.

Out of my college experience, I have learned that time management is one of the keys to success. I am in the process of managing time wisely because if I do not take opportunity of any free time I may have to do work or to take care of other businesses, then I am sacraficing my sleeping time. It is valuable to attend college for many reasons to me. First, I am first generation in my family and I am being a role model not only to my two younger siblings but also to the Hispanic community. Secondly, I personally would like to further my education in order to obtain a better job for a better life. Finally, I would like to demonstrate to my parents that all their efforts in raising my siblings and I among other hardships in the U.S. is not in vain because as time progresses the family is a step closer to acheiving the "American Dream."

My classmates are a mix of people, with most of them being the preppy, southern type--not too much of a variety, although some can be found if you look.

Beyond a doubt the most frustrating thing at Wake Forest is Parking Management. While it is nice that any student, regardless of year in attendance, can bring a car to school with them, convenient parking on campus is scarce, WFU Parking is quick with their tickets and strict on their policies, and the parking passes are purchased at astronomical prices. My current parking pass cost me $500 for the semester. As a freshman it cost me $200, and I had to park off campus, a good 15-20 minute walk from my dorm.

Home, family, community: three things that every high school graduate fears losing as they embark on the adventure that is a college education. I chose my university based upon the academics and opportunities that would be offered, and hoped that all the rest would fall into place. Those words defined the first eighteen years of my life, and for some reason I was not focusing on them as I chose my potential colleges. In hindsight, that was a fairly high hope and an awful lot to leave to chance. The broadening of my educational horizons, discovering myself and unknown passions, is the reason that I was excited to attend college. What I did not know was that I would find what I had left behind: a community in the residence halls, my classes and even late night library inhabitants, a family of friends, professors and administrators always willing to help me, and a home, one that now feels more like the place I belong than my own hometown does. My college experience has taught me to adapt to the community around me and to create my own web of relations to make anywhere I am feel like a true home.

Wake Forest University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.