Florida Atlantic University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Florida Atlantic University

FAU is definitely not for everyone but tries to include everyone in some shape or form. They can be a bit disorganized but they get the shop done. I can proudly say that I attend this university when I look back in the future. However, like most schools, there are definitely things that need to be changed.

Langston

Florida Atlantic University is a wonderful school perfectly located near a beach. This gives students a place to have a great time with each other as well as conduct research projects for science majors like geosciences, environmental sciences. or Marine sciences. As a person who will major in either Geoscience or Environmental science I am so looking forward to the active research projects I will be embarking on!

Christian

I enjoy being in the campus because there’s a different life at a university. Overall the professors are kind and helpful when you need something but since I’ve been doing work online I haven’t visited the university lately just only for books or if I have any issues.

Suzana

There are many resources at FAU to help you pass and the students like to help each other out. There are many intellectual, cultural, and sports clubs to join, so you will definitely find a place to fit in if you're worried about not doing so. Most of the professors are very understanding and knowledgable.

Fiorella

I think overall it's a good class with a great amount of degree programs. The campus resources are great in my opinion and people are willing to help. I do wish that there were more stores nearby that are budget friendly for students who need supplies and access close by especially If you do not have a car. But it is understandable that the university isn't always in control of certain events. A lot of help can be given with the right information and can be understood and maybe even accommodated to student's needs. They do their best to help students and help them be the best version of themselves.

Jasmine

My opinion of Florida Atlantic University is that it's a very average school. The academics, student involvment, athletics and housing are all pretty avarege. However, the campus is beautiful as well as it's location. Being located only about 3 miles from the beach is also a huge plus.

John

I'm a graduate from the Engineering college at FAU back in 2017. The themes here I'm feeling about FAU now are "regret" and "pretty terrible". As someone who spent most their life in private schooling (not even by choice), I had no idea about college as a freshman other than what I was told, rumors, and the usual fakeness about partying. The first 2 year were 'tolerable'. But average, for someone like me just used to boredly passing classes, it was 'too' boring. Academically, I was used to a higher standard, and while acquiring my first STEM degree in Comp Engineering/Science, I didn't stop to think at the time how much of a waste of time and mistake it really was. I paid it off, my parents helped the first 2 years, so that's not the issue. I can address practically every issue however: Academics - the best they had in Math, PHD, and engineering department profs were regularly stating 'wrong' or 'inefficient' things.. as self-taught programmer and already working in circuits beforehand, I corrected them but the culture was mainly liberal, you are supposed to be quiet- and I didn't care as I was just finishing up my degree. Athletics/Diversity/Party/Local- the area is terrible if you are just getting/haven't gotten transportation yet, it's a small campus overall and you need to travel a distance just to bike over to some shops outside of the area. The biggest part of FAU is just the generic sports and social life, think a boring city where no one with a brain wants to be there, that's FAU. Safety/Dorms- This is actually a plus, the dorms are really cheap and I myself lived in the dorms across the street, they were pretty good and way better than the newer 'tower' ones that they made near the middle of campus for freshmen and other students. They have a PD, patrols, and safety isn't an issue. I did get my bike stolen the one week the lock was broken, luckily I graduated only a month later! PD didn't help or know a thing even with cameras and that's how all bike thefts go apparently. You can just live there and do what you want, it's cheaper than even renting, even living with 4 individuals (but each having your own private rooms), tends to be funner than you think. But still, underwhelming and social life wasn't too fun, the last stretch I just wanted to leave and that says a lot. Professors/Academics- Here's where it gets bad. I mentioned some bad things. As a bright student, somehow I was getting 95%, 100%, then in the next course, some things would be easy, but I'd end up with 75%s, even dropping 50%s and taking again with a different prof who barely switched it up. The 'problem' is they take engineering, math, and high level stuff, and they think it's a "cool guy" thing to "not use textbooks". The 'fully english' people there create their own math questions and it becomes hard to understand what they mean, especially as upper-level math/engineering goes, so that there could be an ambiguous answer, but they'll typically wave it off. At the time, I didn't have the experience to say, and I was a bit braindead in a college even compared to highschool, but there was definitely some badly written questions and courses that contributed to problems Return on Investment - I don't think I learned a single thing that I didn't already know or do a more advanced version of in terms of actually programming and engineering. the 'only' thing I learned at FAU's engineering was to use a breadboard ans that was like '1' lab and 1 class that I found enjoying and easy anyway. Overall, I wish I hadn't been thinking too highly about how the cost/locality of it should mean I should just stay there. The bad reviews about how only people who have to stay there go there was basically true about me, and I could have definitely tried other places. FAU is downright 'average' to 'terrible' but it's definitely safe and has buildings and places to go. It's more 'terrible' on the advanced end of things, or for specific majors. I can't speak from experience about medical school there.

Angel

I love the people here and how amazing the campus looks. The schooling right now is not the best, but this is because we are in the middle (hopefully) of a pandemic. I didn’t really obtain a lot of support from the school when enrolling and finding answers for my future goals so that is something that I hope will improve after COVID becomes history.

Lilique

My first impression was wonderful, if only they had kept put the façade! They've lost 4 of my transcripts. Advisors can 100% useless. Professors either curse too much or speak gibberish, sometimes both, and it's impossible to cover material throughly. There have been good classes, but the art students have more freedom, than the students going into sciences. The school is 'ok'...if you like schools like this.

theworldshero21

You may seem uneasy at first but this University can become a place that students can call home. The academic program is one of the best that the state of Florida can offer for science and medical students and gives various opportunities for success. Despite being an extroverted person I did not feel immediately welcomed in the campus social life but fellow students may be willing to open the door to hospitality. The residence halls themselves are top tier but the dining is not the holy grail of campuses I've visited. In conclusion many of these factors will affect your college experience and life as you know it. For some it may be the beautiful women that have part-time modeling careers, the student-to-teacher relationships, or the widest margin of success for their majors that builds this symbiotic relationship. Florida Atlantic University may not be the first option but for many student it becomes an institution to cherish and hold to the utmost pride as an Owl.

Tricia

I love my college. I'm attending for my second bachelor's in Neuroscience after getting a degree in Biology, because there is no where else I'd want to go. I know our football team may not be the best or our greek life isn't as big as other universities, but I have major Owl Pride!

This is a pretty good school. FAU is pretty big, so if you are looking for a cozy school, it's not for you. The teachers all teach pretty well, and the classes aren't too hard if you put in the effort. There is always extra help if you need it, and is very handy. The location is not the best for a social life, but the beach is super close.

Mattie

Florida Atlantic University is not a party school. If you are looking for that, this is not the school for you. However, there are occasional parties paired up with big weekends. The student population is diverse, with Hispanics, Asians, African Americans, White and Carribean people. The location is suburban but the highway is down the street and gives you access to other communities. The housing is relatively cheap compared to other colleges but does not lack in quality. Although, students should sign up for housing quickly because we are always overcapacity. The facilities here are very outgoing and promote plenty of opportunities to get involved. The sports are not that big, except for football games. But, we do engage in tailgates. Overall, Florida Atlantic is a well-rounded school and cares for education and commitment to its students.

Marlene

FAU is a great university to go to; the faculty and staff are friendly and open to questions and comments. They will help you or try to help you in any way they can. I'd recommend it to my friends, especially if their desired major is Multimedia Studies: Film, Video, & New Media like mine.

Alegria

Florida Atlantic University is a good school, but I wouldn't want to stay here my 4 years of college.

Joshua

Florida Atlantic University is a GREAT school with an even better location! The class variety, sizes, and professors are great. The campus is open, airy, not to big and not to small, and the weather is awesome (it is South Florida)! Activities and classes make finding friends a breeze, and the extra curricular will always keep you busy!

Meghan

I think that Florida Atlantic University is a school that is fit for all. It is a very accepting and interactive environmental, and welcomes individuality. The class sizes are fantastic and the professors are very knowledgeable. I highly recommend this university to anyone who is curious about attending.

Marv

the best college ever. the atmosphere is great. The college has a setting is where the classes, cafeteria, and offices are close to each other making things very convenient. There is also a main hall for students to interact especially since they're staying on campus. There's video games, pool table socializing and just many good ways you can kick back, relax and enjoy yourself.

Jarue

FAU has a very diverse campus life. There are many opportunities for students to get involved in various activities such as social clubs, fraternity, sorority and sport events. The orientation process is very interactive and effective in allowing new students to quickly get acquainted and cope with their new environment. The Student Services Department is a great resource and support for new and existing students.

Celeste

It has a beautiful campus with grass that is always watered. The campus is ten minutes away from the beach if you need to relax. The teachers and staff believe in self taught classes for long two to four hour periods that felt useless. The downside is everything is expensive and for old people so you have to go out of Boca Raton to do anything fun.

Kellie

It's a wonderful school! Of course there is plenty of room for improvement. It's a great size for people looking for a smaller university. You can get anywhere within 10 minutes. In my opinion, this school is underrated. It provides excellent academics and opportunities to succeed in your college career. I give FAU 4 starts because the housing can improve, as well as your ability to get out of a housing and meal plan contract.

Joseph

I love it, and I miss going there. I would go back there tomorrow if I could. I enjoyed the day to day actions that I took on a regular basis. i would go to classes from 8-11 then work out until 12, have lunch, study or work on papers until around 3pm and then I would take a long trip home, usually arriving around 4:30pm at my home in Coral Springs fl.

Alyssa

Florida Atlantic University is an amazing school to attend. It is the perfect size school for me, it is a medium size school, that is making its way to bigger and better things. I love all the sporting events that we have; and the programs here are very successful.

Alexyss

FAU was NOT my dream school. I only applied here as a back up. Sadly, I was not able to go to the school I wanted because I didn't have a lot of money and the school didn't offer me much in scholarships. So I decided to go to FAU and surprisingly it's not THAT bad a school. The campus is clean but you have to watch out for the HUGE spiders hanging from bushes and trees. The housing is nice and well developed (except for Algonquin Hall). However, if you are majoring in Biology please pick another public university. This school does not have good chemistry or physics teachers. Now if you're majoring in Education, Business, Nursing, or Social Sciences you've come to a good university. Beware the cafeteria because the food is not with the EXPENSIVE meal plan. Although I can't wait to leave FAU, the school isn't half bad. I cannot stress enough about not coming here if you're a Biology major!!!

Jamari

I never planned to attend Florida Atlantic University. I had my heart set on UCF in Orlando, FL, and FIU in Miami, FL. Unfortunately, I was not accepted into those schools. FAU was a last resort for me, I applied and was accepted a week before May 1, 2017 (your decision has to be made by May 1). I had to attend orientation two weeks later and I did not enjoy it at all. Although I was not very excited at first, that quickly changed. When I finally got to FAU, I was extremely pleased with the dorms and the campus life. I am also pleased with the academics. Courses are rigorous, classes are challenging, and the teachers are helpful and friendly. The students are all laid back and very friendly, and the organizations and clubs are always hosting an event on campus. The Program Board at FAU is truly amazing and I feel like I am getting my money's worth. FAU has had a few concerts, many barbecues, movie screenings and other fun activities throughout the fall semester. For Halloween, we had a haunted house, Escape room, and a Halloween party on campus. I am having an amazing experience at FAU. My only problem with the school is the cafeteria. I am not a huge fan of the food and often find myself spending money at other restaurants for food. Overall I am grateful for my experience so far and I am very glad that I made the decision to attend this school.

Jennica

Florida Atlantic University, or FAU as most of us call it, is a giant canvas where students of all different ethnicities and cultural backgrounds can come to not only get a 5-star education, but also to find themselves. FAU is my home and I wouldn't trade it for the world! Hoot hoot!

Autumn

As a current student of Florida Atlantic University, my overall experience so far has been great. Florida Atlantic University has such a diverse campus, decent class sizes, a variety of greek life, and professors who truly go above and beyond for their students.

Adri

Overall, FAU is a lovely school with a tropical vibe and a lot of owl pride. Living on campus is great and faculty is very attentive. On the down side, public transportation can be a hassle, so getting around Boca Raton can be difficult at times. Fortunately, the beach is only three miles away reminding you you're in paradise.

Cassie

Overall it is a pretty good school! Pretty modern, clean, and nice people.

Caitlin

Great classes, gorgeous campus, classes can be a bit long. The teachers are very attentive and on time. Out-of-state isn't as expensive as most would think. The beach is also extremely close with lots of great restaurants around. The class size for general classes are quite big with around 300 students.

Momin

It is a good university that is slowly improving to become one of the top universities in the country. I would highly recommend this university for people living in South Florida. All the facilities are new and the campuses are very big. There are always activities going on campus that you might enjoy.

Stephenie

Ever since day one when I toured the Florida Atlantic University campus I felt in love instantly. It’s a feeling I can not explain nor have I felt with any other campus’s I toured. I am currently a sophomore soon to be a junior and I am so glad I chose to be an ‘OWL’ (our University mascot.) Florida Atlantic University offers a variety of opportunities/program so no individual would feel left out. The professors care deeply about the students and will gladly help whether it’s scheduling a quick after hour visit for help understanding a lesson taught earlier in class or a email sent to them at 8pm even, asking a question about the course. Personally, I love the flexible scheduling especially since I have the option of taking all online courses, night courses, or even early morning courses. Florida Atlantic University is truly the place to be, Go OWLS!!!!

Shinnomon

I loved attending Florida Atlantic University. I have found a home here. There are so many clubs and organizations here, so it wasn't too hard for me to find my niche. I would recommend this school to other people to attend because we are so diverse and we are also very academics minded. We have done some great things, especially in the medical school on campus and I am proud of this institution and what it has taught me.

Scottie

Me being a current student at FAU am beyond glad school. I will forever be content with my decision to attend. Florida Atlantic University is a top tier secondary school that I would recommend to anyone not sure on what their next step should be after high school. The people are all friendly, the surrounding area is beautiful with plenty of stuff to do, campus life is lively and exciting and all the faculty is helpful and kind. I'm glad to be a FAU Owl.

Nelly

It may not be the best school ever but it is a pretty good one. The people are great and the professors are nice. You can have a great college experience as long and you go out and find your group. School activities are typically fun and if you need help you'll definitely find it.

Bethany

I'm an exercise science student here and I think that Florida Atlantic is a great university. It takes great pride in academics and making sure that student life here is as successful as possible. There's plenty to do, Boca is a beautiful area and it's there's always a safe space for everyone.

Wendy

Florida Atlantic university is one of the best business schools in southern Florida. It is close enough to where I can live at home and just drive back and forth. I am lucky enough to be able to do that because from what I have heard, housing can be a bit expensive and the dorms are not very big. On the other hand, one of the perks of living on campus is not having to look for parking in the morning and being able to have a few more minutes of sleep. Also, they have many of the things they need on famous, such as food, barber, mail service etc. Our school also has lots of football games and encourage us to get involved. Overall I am proud to be an owl and wouldn't change that. GO OWLS!!

Haley

Fau has been a home to me the second I stepped foot on campus. They always have events and activities on campus for the students. Living in the dorms has been a blast. I've met so many new friends that are nice genuine students. I always look forward to going back to FAU in the terms to come, I wouldn't of wanted to go anywhere else for college.

Desti'Nee

I could have not have chosen a better school to attend , very friendly environment . The professors are always there to help you and have your best interests at heart. My favorite part about attending FAU is living on campus and attending all of the events that are hosted by the many different clubs and organizations. My college experience thus far has been simply amazing and I wouldn't have it any other way. HOOT HOOT!! GO OWLS!!

Ana-Alicia

Overall FAU is a really good school. Like most places it has pros and cons. The biggest con that I noticed is that FAU is mainly a commuter school so students living on campus might not get as many activities or events as other colleges and it gets a little lonely/quiet on the weekends because everyone always leaves Friday evenings and come back some time Sunday. I also feel that the meal plans could be improved. However, other than those, FAU is solid. The campus is nice and has an interesting character (mostly created by the wild life running around), there are a large number of majors and classes, housing quality and options are on point and the food is great!

The Jupiter campus of FAU is a beautiful little school with incredible academic opportunities, especially in the STEM fields. The small class sizes, friendly professors and other staff, pleasant on-campus housing, and unique research opportunities make this college shine. The only aspect that detracts from this fantastic school is the dining hall; while the staff is kind and helpful, the food doesn't have the same level of quality. It is okay at best and, while they are as accommodating as possible, students with food allergies must beware. Overall, this school is fantastic! I'd never want to go anywhere else!

Rubby

Wow! My first time at FAU was very memorable. I have visited the main campus in Boca Raton and also the one in Jupiter the honors college and both are great colleges. Everywhere u go theres always someone that would offer you assistance and the culture there is very amazing. I was able to go to one of the footballs at the school with my older sister and the atmosphere is something I have never experienced. Lively and extremely passionate and proud to call themselves owls. Overall i really love this school and i can even really imagine myself coming here and becoming an owl. Hoot Hoot!

arlenis

Florida Atlantic University offers a opulent environment as it is located in Boca Raton, Florida. The university is located minutes away from the mall and from one of the best beaches in South Florida. The city offers a great deal of diversity, offering relishing food and events. There are more than 300 clubs and organizations to join. In addition, we have a new football stadium.

The area surrounding the school is very peaceful, Boca Raton is really nice! Many stores around here. There is a mall just 10 minutes away! We're always hype about our football games. The campus is nice and safe. Nothing is really too far. Overall I'd give a B :)

sandra

when i was a freshmen i always wanted to go FAU. This school is a great university for me Because it will give me a lot of information and educated me. It will give me a better life for me when i graduate FAU. My opinion about this school is awesome.

Frederick

FAU is a nice school. The gym is great but a little small. It has a basketball court and a pool, but the weights and machine area isn't as big as it should be. The new stadium is beautiful and there are enough seats, and everything still seems new. There are many restaurants, like Wendy's, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, and many other places to eat, including little stands with snacks.

Ayanna

Overall my school is great. The teachers are extremely dedicated to their students success (even the bad ones). The campus culture is amazing, especially for the arts, gaming, and journalism . I've never met people so dedicated to their success. Of course, there are parties, drugs, and drinking, but even the party people handle themselves surprisingly well. There has been 0 accidents of substance abuse my year, or car crashes in relation to the party life. People go out in groups and uber. The food is well hard to explain. Its just so bad and it cost about $1300 a year for people on campus. I have no idea where that money is going to, just not to educating great cooks. The food is always too bland or too salty. Our salvation: Chick-fil-a. Not even JW, a 40 thousand dollar school has a Chick-fa-la on campus. It that is not enough, there is always the Wendy's, Pa Pa Johns, a Chinese food place, smoothie shop, a sports bar, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Subway, and an Einstein Bros. A lot of food means a lot of jobs for students! Disregarding these options, there are plenty of other employment opportunities the school offers for specific majors. For instance, my roommate is majoring in child care and FAU was kind enough to get her a job at the daycare on campus. Not only is she getting payed, she is getting tons of experience in her field. Now on to the only problem; the town. I come from the best of the best, also known as Orlando Florida. Everything here is great! You can eat, shop, and party 24 hours a day. There is always something to do and with everything being relatively close, there's really no reason to be a homebody. Boca Raton was a massive culture shock. Businesses open from about 8am to 6pm, there is almost nothing to eat but Denny's and a few Chinese takeouts, and the people are extremely rude. Being a retirement town, Boca is not welcoming at all to its youth, despite it being home to atleast 3 colleges I know of. They're all talk of course, just the old and uncultured flaunting their wealth and bragging about who they used to be. Most of the time its funny actually and when its not, your more likely to be sorry to the one fussing then yourself, but after a year it gets tiring. This is why it is best to get a job on campus. Jobs outside of FAU can be taxing on your mental. I know from experience, and so do many of my peers, causing many students to venture outside of town for jobs in Deerfield or Pompano. I love my school, but because of this town, I hesitate to recommend this school to anyone.

Andrea

My overall opinion of Florida Atlantic University is that it is a very diverse university and there is always something to do. Also, the employees, as in the custodians in the Student Union, the people at all the front desks, etc, are all very helpful and welcoming.

Shakerra

Love being an Owl and being able to go home to my family after class. It is such in a convenient place that living on campus really is not a necessity but a choice. And I love all of the events we recently and waka and dram! Gotta love being an owl hoot hoot!

Overall it is a very good university.