Jacksonville, IL
Illinois College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois College

It was small and the campus was pretty and compact.

I wish I would have taken more time on my college search. Things I would have looked at more include the housing and housing policy, the food, and variety of majors offered. I would visit each school not only on their open house days but also on a private visit and ask students questions not just the tour guide who has to say good things. Questions that would be helpful would be what the social life is on the campus, especially on weekends, and what organizations the school has to offer. After choosing your college I would go to all the welcome activities the school has, it allows you to meet all the incoming students and begin to make friends and the faster you make friends the sooner you will feel more comfortable at school. College gives you a fresh start so make the most of it.

Lindsey

Illinois College is an academically intense college that offers students a a great education and a sense of community.

In deciding which college to attend, there are many factors to consider. Students need to think about what they want to gain from their college experience. They also need to figure out what they plan to major in to make sure the college of their choice offers their major. Size and location is another important factor. The student must feel comfortable at their college. Although they will spend a great amount of time on-campus, it is important that they feel comfortable in the city or town in which the college is located. In order to make the most out of the college experience, an individual needs to set high goals and standards for themself. It is crucial to remember that a student is at college to grow academically and socially. The ultimate goal is to earn a degree and learn from the many experiences offered. Students also need to be open to trying something new. College is about broadening your horizons and pushing yourself to the limit. When a student graduates from college, the ultimate goal is to move on to the next phase in life ready to begin a career that he or she has been prepared for.

A person who is on their way to figuring out who they are and what they want to do with their life. A student would enjoy this school if they like a tight-knit community type of feel. Also, a person would feel right at home if they are from a small town or went to a small high school. The class sizes are pretty small, so the student muts be comfortable partcipating in class.

Ryan

My advice would be go with what feels right with the student. Take all of the time needed to visit all campuses that catch your attention. Usually when one steps on the campus that is for them, they feel it right away. It's a great feeling to get out of the car and realize this is the place that you are meant to be. When the moment is right, you will feel it. Try and throw fears of money and failure out the window. If a school fits you right, everything works itself out. Having a college you feel comfortable and excited about creates a great atmosphere of learning and experience that every student should have at their college. Making friends and campus activities make the whole college experience worthwhile. Get your name out there and enjoy the greatest time of your life!

The food. We hired an independent company who exclusively feeds the campus and does not permit any other vendors on campus. Therefor they can make their food however they want regardless and it usually isn't good.

Someone who likes a comfy environment and likes to know most everyone at his/her school. You must like small classes. If you want to know your professors and have them know you, well this is the college for you. The campus is very diverse and freindly.

Mary

It is best known for its academic integrity and quality education. It has a great teacher preparation program that has served as a model for other schools as well as an excellent business program, though you will receive a quality education from any department. It is also known for being almost like a big family. The school has historical roots as well containing the oldest academic building in Illinois and being the site of the Lincoln vs. Douglass debates. Mainly, our school is just known for being a great place to receive an education and learn about life and yourself.

I would say go with your gut. When I visited campuses I expected that the way I would know where I was meant to go was to have an immediate big boom feeling once I stepped on campus. I never got that feeling but my gut told me IC was the right place for me I just had to choose to listen to it. I gave myself plenty of time to explore my options but I also set reasonable deadline to make my decision by so that it didn't consume my senior year of high school. Decide what is important to you in a college and make sure you get answers about those things when you visit the college. Also, while money certainly may play a role in the decision process, try not to let it be the deciding factor. You want to make sure you are getting a good education for the money you are spending and that you are going to not only learn but forge friendships as well which are key to making it through college. Yes money is important, but there is always a way to afford to school you want to go to.

I think the best thing about my school is its size. I have never had a class larger than 25 people. This allows the professors to get to know their students, understand their individual needs, and tailor their instruction to suit the needs of the students. Sometimes it may get annoying that everyone knows everyone else, but that is also one of the most endearing aspects as well, it really does become a second home for the students where we can find people who care about us and our future as much as our parents do.

Ruth

Students, don't be too eager. Teenagers tend to be hasty, however this is not a decision that you should make quickly. It is not like picking out a new shirt; this is your future. Take a look at all of your options, looking at what you want to take out of your college experience. Don't base your decision on where your friends are going because you will make many new friends. While you may go to the same college or university as your friends, it is important to expand out and meet knew people. Parents, let your kids look at all of their options before giving your opinions. I know too many classmates that went to college at the schools that their parents or siblings went to. Having the right education and experience is sometimes more important than keeping the tradition alive. Picking a college can be stressful but it can also be very fun and exciting. Looking to the future can sometime be scary for high school student; however, my friends and myself became much more excited about college when we sat down and decided where we would be spending the next 4 years of our lives.

The best quality of Illinois College is the loyalty of the faculty, alumni, and current students. For example, homecoming is one of the best times on campus where alumni return and lots of people attent the football game to support our players. The alumni also shows loyalty by donating to help fund for learning resources such as the science building.

I wish that I had known that the classes are limited when it comes to number of students admitted into each class as well as when each class is offered. Many times the classes that you wish to take or need to take are not offered every semester or even every year. I also was not aware at how much money was spent in the book store and how little you get back when selling back your books.

Annanda

Illinois College had a warm and welcoming feeling when a prospective student enteres the campus. There is a very positive and helpful atmosphere from the President of the college, the deans, the entire adminsitrative staff, and all of the student volunteers. It is a comforting environment , one feels safe; as if a part of an extended family. These feelings make a prospective student feel like a true member of the institution, not just statistical figure of economic potential.

Spend an hour or two each night researching for the best college. Decide which regions of the country seem most ideal. A few very important aspects to take into account is the size of the college, and if a public or private institution is more suitable. Weigh the advantages of a liberal arts education, or a more technical educational field such as engineering. Once a list of five to seven schools has been made, arrange to have the administrations of those schools send more information, and if possible schedule a time to visit the institution. When in college, go ahead! Take advantage of some of the opportunities such as study abroad and a campus activity or two. This will open up ways to meet other students and create friendships that could very well be for life. Do not forget to balance all that is scheduled so that stress will be at a healthy level. Make sure to continue to search for scholarships and use any tool or opportunity that is feasible. Last but not least, always remember college students are predominately young adults without real world responsibility, which allows students to make the most out of their collegiate experience!

The willingness of the professors to assist thier students in and out of the classroom is by far the primier aspect of Illinois College. The majority of the professors that at Illinois College have been extreamley knowledgeable and helpful to students both in, and outside of the classroom. All of the teaching staff at this insitution wants every student to succeed to the best of thier ability; acedemically and socially in thier environments. The professors are incredibly well-rounded in this manner and there is great pride from the students because this.

I believe that students must pick the school that meets their needs. In order to find that school, one must visit numerous types of colleges and not wait until second semester of their senior year to start. When visiting these schools, one must ask questions, sit in on a class, and go on a tour. Perhaps make notes of the good and bad things of each college and do not limit oneself to one school. It is important to have a ranked set of universities after visiting and it is important to get one's application in early. After deciding on a school and moving in, one should attend the orientation programs or different social activities on campus in order to meet people. In order to have a great college experience, I recommend joining many different organizations that one is interested in. Being involved is a great way to meet people with similar interests that one might not have met otherwise. It is also important to be open to new things and accepting of different people. I believe that following this advice will lead to great success in college and in one's further pursuits of education.

I wish I had known that the students do not have a voice. Unfortunately, the administration makes all the decisions and rarely considers the students' opinions. For example, very few students supported the plus/minus grading system, but despite our concerns, the grading system was implemented. I also wish I had known how great the professors truly are! Each professor remains dedicated to their subject and their students, which I find very rare in a college. No class is permitted to enroll more than 50 students so one will never be merely a number at Illinois College.

The worst thing about my school would be the administration. While I adore the faculty, the administration angers me because they do not listen to the students. The ignored the students' views on the plus/minus grading system, on the 4 credit hour system, and on ending certain majors.

I believe that Illinois College is best known for our school pride. The alumni are very dedicated to IC, as many return for homecoming, sporting events, inductions and other ceremonies. It is evident that alumni of IC value the education they received, as they donate much money so that current students may be privledged to receive the same level of education. School pride is apparent when the IC Alma Mater is played daily on the chapel's bells and "Illinois College" apparel covers students as they walk between classes. Current students and alumni are proud to be navy and white.

I believe that finding the right college can be a life-changing experience. In my personal opinion, attending a four-year college or university and living on- campus is the best college experience, although I am probably biased because I do attend a four-year college and live on- campus. Four-year schools offer many types of opportunities, such as travel, research, and internships that may only be available at these schools. My school offers "Breakaway" programs, in which a one or two week trip is made possible by taking a travel course. I plan to travel to Peru this summer via this program. I also have experience with a two-year school. I have taken a class at a local community college, and I felt that learning did not extend beyond the classroom. When class was finished, everyone immediately left to return home for the day. At a four-year school, students extend their learning, as they spend much time together studying outside of class. I have a regular study group that meets in our science building most evenings; this would not be possible if we were not living on- campus and therefore available many more hours.

A person who takes an active role in their education is the type of person that should attend Illinois College. IC is located in a small town, and even though the campus is small, the facilities and programs are very elaborate. The opportunities offered include study abroad programs, internships, and independent research. Each class is small enough that professors and students interact, which is vital because learning in the classroom is based on discussion rather than lecture. Students attending Illinois College can expect the opportunities that are associated with a big university, but are condensed into a small town setting.

James

For parents, I would highly recomend that they stay interested in their student's college choices. I know my parents gave me some information that I was completely oblivious to at the time when doing my college search. After looking at their point of view, it made me realize that some of the colleges I thought I really wanted to go to I no longer did. For the students, I would recomend visiting the colleges they like. Sometimes just walking onto campus and seeing the different people there will tell you if it is a place you would like to spend the next for years of your life. Also while at college, do not be afraid to try new things. You will meet many new people this way who may become life long friends. You may also find out that you enjoy what you tried. Also, while you are there for academics, always remember that having a social life is very important as well. The experiences you will find yourself in are just as educating as the material you are learning in the classroom.

I wish i knew how hard the biology program was. The classes were much harder than those at other colleges and really lowed many peopl's GPA.

The athletics are fairly good and there are a lot of foreign exchange students who are great to make new friends with.

James

I would tell them to look for a college that offers the best program you want to go in to. Do not go because of prestige or because it is where all of your friends are going, choose a college that meets your needs and will be better for you in the long run. Also, I would say to get the most out of the experience is to be ready to say "Hi" to many new faces. Being friendly is the number one thing to get you on a path of success at a college with many other faces.

I think the research that is done through this college is the best out there. I am currently working on a research project in the Florida Everglades as a tangent to my lab research I am doing at the College. I am going to make this a life career when I go to do my Master's program. If it was not for my great research advisor and his lab, I do not know what I would be doing currently.

I wish I would have known that the college was going to go through a HUGE revamping of its structure, marketing, and grading system all in the time I am here. The College has changed way too much over the past two years, and I wish I would have known that these changes were going to happen.

Illinois College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.