Jacksonville, IL
Illinois College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois College

Ross

Illinois College is a place where you have the opportunity to learn while following your passion, making friends, and preparing yourself for the future that you've always dreamed of.

I would tell myself to make sure that I could handle being far away from my family. Homesickness is likely to happen to many college students, so spend a lot of time with your family and friends. Also, I would tell myself to step up my work ethic, my drive, and to continue to interact with others, because that's a huge part of college. The last thing that I would tell myself would be to work really hard and learn how to use the resources that have been presented to me.

The best thing about my school is all of the services offered on campus. For example, not only can you graduate, but there is an empolyment office that will work with you to help you find a job. Ninety-five percent of all graduates have a job within six months of graduation. That's amazing.

Kristina

My school is both active in acadmic and social activities.

My school is both active in acadmic and social activities.

I would tell myself to not be afraid to step out alone to explore new things like, friendships, clubs, and career choices. I would hope that this would have made my transition a little easier in deciding my future and living it too, without worrying about having to try something new but no one to do it with. I also, would like to tell myself not to worry about the small things that go wrong because I end up meeting great new friends that help me through the hard times. When all is said and done if I end up doing the exact same things in life from High School on into college, I know that everything turns out right and that I made good choices.

I wish I had know to take some summer genral education classes before attending to get them out of the way.

Katie

It's much more friendly, but because of it's location in central Illinois, it tends attract mainly white, conservative students from Illinois. Because of it's location it also fails to attract a more diverse range of faculty and staff. It's easy to develop meaningful connections with professors; they actually know you and your character, which enable them to provide excellent references.

Be more outgoing and social in the beginning. Don't be intimidated by upper class men. They're actually very friendly, and make excellent friends. They actually want to be your friend too. Analyse the topics that interest you the most in your 100 level classes and then compare those interests with the majors and minors offered. You'll figure out what the best major will be sooner. Meet with professors who teach subjects that you think you're not interested in. An amazing professor can change your entire view on the subject. If you want to study abroad, make a firm committment to the location and program that you're interested in. Don't let the study abroad director change your mind without carefully weighing the pros and cons of each choice. Take care of your friends. You never know when you will need them to take care of you. Try to make connections with the staff. They are amazing resources on all of the obscure opportunities that are available to you. Your connections in the alumni office may provide life changing opportunities and connections.

Someone who wants an excellent education with the opportunity of tons of interaction with faculty. Someone who wants to study abroad and get full credit. Someone who wants to feel like part of a small community.

I would tell myself that time management is the key to success in college. I can do anything I want, and perhaps everything, but only if I can manage my classes and classwork, literary society work, service, and social time. It is possible, but not at all easy to do. Find something that interests you and make sure that you make time for it and really and sincerely delve into it. Learn about the other cultures that are present on campus, because this is the best time to be exposed to new things and new people. It's a chance to learn about other cultures and make some new friends as well. Let what you learn about them reflect on your everyday life. This may allow you to see things about yourself and American culture that could improve. Stand up for what you believe, even if your beliefs change. Don't be shy! Everyone deserves to be heard. In college, you will find that most people are open minded and very accepting. Most importantly, have fun! It is a lot of work, but you have to unwind and have some fun.

I think that anyone looking for a good education in a smaller school setting would benefit from attending IC. However, the art department is severely lacking and the school administration could be a little friendlier and at least give the impression that they care about students. The faculty is great, which some what makes up for the administrations faults.

Any one who wants to party all the time should think of a different school to go to. There is no where to drink on campus anymore. Students who might feel out of place would be some minority students, although we have a lot of exchange students from other countries and a growing minority population here. Some GLBT may feel a little out of place because there are few others here, but we are pretty accepting as a whole.

Kimberly

My classmates are very diverse, not only by where they're from, but also in their personalities and interests - they're not afraid to be themselves on this campus.

Don't be afraid to talk to anyone on the campus and join as many organizations as you want. Although it's simple to join an organization at any time of the year, you can get the best idea of them at the start of the semester. It's easier to join an organization and decide that you don't like it than it is to figure out when they meet later.

The organizations are the best part about the college. There is a wide range of organization and almost every major/minor has its own club that is open to anyone, not just those in that discipline. Plus there are numerous volunteer and awareness organizations. Its easy for a student to find an organization that they will enjoy and become envolved in during their years on campus.

IC is small, liberal arts, they have a long standing history, and a campus that is small but a good size. I can walk to any of my classes from my dorm in 5 minutes (and that includes going all the way across campus).

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would emphasize the importance of studying hard and doing the very best that I could in my last year. I would ask myself to spend free time reading an assortment of different books, and having a dictionary word each day to learn. I would teach myself time management skills, so I could be better equipped to handle college life. I would ask myself the importance of having a well rounded education. Then telling myself to take more classes of the things I liked, and even some that didn't like as much, to have a broader range of knowledge. I would tell myself to take summer college courses that would continue to keep my mind fresh so I didn't have to jump start my brain when I got to college. Lastly, I would tell myself that college is going to be hard, stressful, and painful sometimes. However, it is worth it because of the friends that you meet, the professors that push you harder because they believe in you, the education you get, and all of the fun times you will have. Good luck!

I love the athletic building and the science buildings the most. I spend most of my time there with classes, friends, and/or faculty. If you want to feel like you are a part of something, where you can walk across campus and know someone everytime; then this is the place for you. I love it here and i wouldn't trade it for any other place.

Kelly

Kelly don't wast your time go to college. Don't take the summer off get setup for school as a Freshman. Don't let other people take advantage of you an make you think all you can be is a good mom and house wife. You areso much bettr then that and you need to reach for the stars. You have no limits and you need college to have a successful life and to be able to help your family grow. Don't have any children or get married before you take time for you. Get schooling out of the way and get your career going before you get married and have a family. Be selfish and work on your own goals before you have children and get married and always stay true to the goals you set for yourself. Don't let anyone stop you from acheveing your goals. And never lower your standards for anyone or anything believe me its not worth it. You will suceed if you follow this plan of action.

Robert

Hardworking, ambitious, fun

Hardworking, ambitious, fun

If you go on a college tour and the tour guide is very excited to share the campus and is often greeted by passing friends is a good sign that the college will offer a great social and friendl environmet. Don't be afraid to break out of your comfort zone.

Mark

When looking for the right college, the first thing you need to consider is if the college has a strong program for the field that you want to go into. The next thing you should consider is whether or not you want to attend a small school with less students and closer relationships with faculty and professors or a larger school with more students and lecture style classes. Once you found the right school for you, you need to find the right group to hang out with, develop good studying techniques, and most importantly, provided that you stay on top of your studies, enjoy yourself and have fun. College is an opportunity of a lifetime and you should treat it as such and enjoy it.

I wish that i knew that a smaller school means very few social activities compared to bigger schools.

Benjamin

My school is best known for being the oldest college in Illinois.

My school is best known for being the oldest college in Illinois.

The advice that I would give to prospective students would be to most importantly find a college that suits your needs and your personality. The first question I would ask is whether you like a big or small college. This involves if you want small classrooms with individual help from professors or large classrooms. One advantages of a smaller college is that professors are generally more available to the students. However, in a larger college, professors normally are less invovled with individual students and therefore students may have more freedom or independence in their manner of study. Finding a college that you will be comfortable at will make your college experience more enjoyable and give you the best opportunities to learn.

The best thing about my school is the availability of the professors and their willingness to provide help outside of the classroom.

Illinois College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.