Montclair State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Montclair State University

Steven

Montclair State University has made me feel welcome from day one. The professors and the individual educational departments always do their best to make themselves available for aiding students. Also, the campus itself is very spacious and beautiful to walk around whether you're in the buildings or outside. I feel that it is the perfect undergraduate school for me because of the helpful environment amongst students themselves and because of my specific major there that is unique in the State of New Jersey. There are also numerous opportunities for one to get involved around campus and outside of it.

Matthew

Montclair is as much a superb academic institution as it is a welcoming community of diversity. The numerous colleges upon campus provide multitudes of programs, initiatives, and elective classes for me & my fellow students no matter the major. Ranging from study-aboard opportunities to collaborative research projects run by students to presentations by renowned professors to even fully-funded theatrical performances organized & executed by students, the academic opportunities one can take advantage of, be they undergraduate or graduate or professional, are truly fruitful here at Montclair. However, the university's non-academic life is just as prolific & its composition is a core aspect of Montclair's identity. Numerous clubs and Greek Life organizations, all offering differing experiences and opportunities as diverse as their membership body. Almost everyday there is a club offering everything from educational presentations to physical or mental exercise regiments that span the whole semester to some even offering movie or video-gaming nights to all who come! Most of all, Montclair is a university based upon embracing diversity & differences, and that is reflected in the student/staff bodies as well as our organizations. Students as well as professors of all races, ethnicities, cultures, faiths, and origins can be found here, with many a club established and directed by students who are of a racial minority or ethnic minority being found here. It is ultimately here, at Montclair State University, where one can develop & further themselves as an individual, as a student, and as a future prospective professional of their field. No matter the major, the college, or goal, a student here is among equals in a safe community that is proudly diverse & encourages us all to freely express who we are as the newest generation of adult Americans.

Montclair has opened tons of doors for me and constantly offers opportunities to students. The campus is open to diversity and is stigma-free which promotes a positive atmosphere. I have taken courses from a variety of majors and have met professors with a variety of different backgrounds. I have enjoyed my four years at Montclair and would encourage anyone who is considering MSU to truly take the opportunity and take advantage of the free resources, workshops and events!

Natalia

I enjoyed my time at MSU. The campus has an amazing view of the city, and being so close makes it easy to travel back and forth. It is a safe campus; I have never felt unsafe traveling even after dark. Involvement/school spirit is sparse but there is always something to do to keep you busy whether it be classes or activities.

Arielle

I am glad I decide to go to Montclair. It was my first choice and one of the best choices. "It's All Here" is not just a marketing slogan, everything really is there. From great programs to good food, there is something for everyone to enjoy. The educational quality is great and the personal atmosphere is fun. It is a prime place for work and play.

Suzy

I really love this university. It has an amazing view in the back of the city. I love going there when I want fresh air. Also, the campus is pretty quiet so it is nice and peaceful to work on my assignments outside. However, although the campus is quiet, there are a lot of interactions and groups of people everywhere. Plus, they have an event outside every week. For example, they leave out a variety of artwork for the students to look over. Majority of the faculty is nice and friendly and the professors are amazing! I would recommend this university to everyone!

Deckonti

Montclair State is one of the best university's in New Jersey. It's a short distance to New York City where you can find many jobs and internships, and the town of Montclair itself is buzzing with plenty of activities and attractions to enjoy on the weekend. Everyone on campus is friendly and you'll automatically feel at home. There are many activities on campus to take part in and they're all safe and engaging.

Michelle

Montclair State University is an OK school. It is mostly a commuter school and the academics are decent as well however if you are majoring in something more lucrative, then dont go here. Montclair state university is mostly a libersal arts school and other majors that are decent to go to as well are business, psych, and education ( they have great teaching programs). There is alot of contrsution that is happening in the school right now ( actiually it has been happening since 2012) which make it a bit difficult to get to classes, They do have a soild organization and club, if you want a social life then go greek and lastly they just raised the GPA graduation requirments. But if you think this is the school for you then by all means attend as the old saying goes "College is what you make of it!!"

Fabienne

When I first got on campus I was pretty overwhelmed by so many buildings but the campus is large little by little I learned more about places on campus. Their is a variety of students here melting pot... which I love because I haven’t had that with other schools I’ve attended. The professor I had for jus204 was awesome it was a lot of reading n writing but I learned n retain most of what I’ve learned. I’m happy to have chosen MSU as my school

In all honesty, I accepted going to school without seeing it. It is known as one of the best education/teaching program so I decided to attend. The schools has a lot of issues and constantly is sending people to the wrong place for questions. Everything is so expensive so for the administration to be this bad is frustrating. On a positive note, the classes are more intimate and the facilities are beautiful .

GraceAnn

It is an excellent state school - nice campus, decent food, good academics. Smaller and cheaper than Rutgers. There is some sports and clubs but not a ton and academics is the main focus. It can be a struggle to get from your parking spot to your class on time due to the distance of the parking lots from the buildings. DO NOT EAT AT SAM'S PLACE.

Rebecca

I enjoy Montclair State University's campus and the size of it. I really like the environment and all of the people who are always there to help.

Sthibalyz

I think Montclair State University is a commuter school, and it should do more to reflect this fact. Truth is, parking is absolutely terrible. The lots are always full, the people looking for parking are extremely rude. We wasted millions on a new statue monument instead of putting that towards the school. There are more food places around nowadays, but for such a huge campus definitely not enough. Most importantly, the campus is not college student budget friendly. I think there is a lot being done, but not enough. The academics reflect housing on campus, and well, they shouldn't. I struggle to find evening classes. This should not be the case.

Kyle

I have been fortunate enough to call Montclair State my second home. I have made a lot of friends and have had the time of my life these last couple of years. I have two more years to go here, and I want to make the most of them. Who knows what the future holds for me?

Imani

The school has a really nice campus. It's a big commuter school is it gets quiet on the weekends. The class sizes are great and the teachers are often easily accessible. The dorms are nice but they get more expensive the nicer they get. The food is alright but there are plenty of off campus places nearby.

Desiree

t is a good school. The academics are great. There are a lot of fun things to do, but as a commuter it is hard to get involved. The parking has expanded so there is more room for all the cars but it expensive so that is a negative. There are a lot of different dining options so that is good, we even have two Dunkin Donuts on campus. Overall this school is good, I am happy I came here

Erin

Do not attend Montclair State unless for a specific program like teaching and musical theater. This school is terrible. The communication for financial aid or even just with professors or academic advisors is horrible and you need to go in person to resolve anything. There is nothing to do on the weekends because everyone goes home. The campus feels dirty and out-dated. When I attended there was a bug found in the food. The food is almost inedible. It is also freezing from October until March because the campus is on a mountain it is windy all of the time. There is nothing to do off of campus and you need a car to go anywhere considering it is basically on a highway. I would not recommend​ this school to anyone. If you are looking for state school prices go to Rutgers.

Atsuko

I feel safe on campus and enjoy my classes. I love how beautiful the campus looks in the spring with all the flowers blossoming. It's my favorite time of the year here. I appreciate the professors here greatly. I have gotten to know some of them quite well and are just wonderful people. Overall, Montclair has a wonderful faculty that really creates the educational experience for its students.

Essence

I love the school and atmosphere is so refreshing and welcoming. The academics are very strong and they have classes for practically anything you can think of and not only that but the extracurriculars are so vast. They have club for anything and I love that if they don't have a club for what you want that you can create one. I think that there is a place for everyone here and its beautiful I genuinely love it here.

Facility is real big and lots of activities to do. I can't wait to go here!

Yvette

Montclair State University is a growing school increasing annually in academic prestige, student life, and athletics. Ultimately the most important part of a university is that its students are getting the best education and job experience for any field of study the school offers. As a student of the sciences, I can attest for the effort being placed in all STEM fields of study. The only criticism I would add and hope Montclair State University take seriously is the importance of providing students with a better pool of high achieving and prestigious full-time professors. Academia is the highest role of any school and if the school fails its students by not providing and prioritizing a higher concentration of well-rounded professors it has not done a good job. Overall I do enjoy the school and its very diverse and accepting atmosphere. Montclair State University has a lot to offer and is putting in hard work in the overall success of its students.

K'lynn

What I love the most about MSU is the endless opportunities and programs it has. The many programs and majors the school has gives a higher chance to make their students successful. One of the main reasons I chose Montclair was because of the BS/MS 5 year program it has for accounting. In a shortened amount of time, I will have two degrees making me stand out more when it comes time for seeking employment. I also love how many clubs/organizations it has because everyone fits in somewhere, making us students feel comfortable and giving us the opportunity to get involved in a extra-curricular standpoint.

Montclair State University is a great school for students who like the arts. There are many different things going on during the weekend such as sports and shows. The town life is great and there are many shops for students to walk around to and enjoy.

Carson

Montclair State University is a great institution. We are located on a mountain 12 miles from New York City, and you can see the Manhattan skyline from all over campus. We have an on-campus Emergency Medical Services department, and I volunteer as an Emergency Medical Technician there. We also have a campus police department which works closely with the ambulance squad to keep our campus safe. Academics are very good overall, professors vary in difficulty but there are plenty of options. We also have a 24-hour diner on campus with plenty of food options.

Krysta

My opinion about my school is that Montclair State University is a beautiful campus and very populated. The campus building's architecture is extraordinary and unique. The campus's environment feels very safe and i do not feel at risk while walking through campus. Even the trees and the plants that they have planted throughout the campus the whole area beautiful.

Charlette

Even though some things could be improved, like maybe the food or housing, it actually is a good school and incoming students should apply. There’s many outside resources Incase someone wanted an job during the year and there are a number of opportunities to get involved on campus.

Wyming

The white buildings and the hilltop location make me think of the Acropolis in Athens. With 20,000 students, it is a relatively large school, so when I want to schedule a class there is usually more than one section. And all the professors are top notch -- they know their subjects and they are interested in helping you pass the tests.

Faith

I enjoy the vast community of people attending as well as teaching on this campus. There is a huge openness towards the LGBTQ+ community and endless opportunities for career paths to follow; this school IS ranked top 10 in the country for Education, and is now becoming a spotlight for the new Communications building!

sadia

Montclair was my top choice of schools to go to. Montclair has opened my horizons and changed me as a person. By far, the people and the school itself is great.

Kamal

I really like MSU! Very beautiful campus and location. The students are great and professor and staff are easily accessible. Very same environment, emphasis put on keeping students safe any time day or night. Diverse, open, and accepted community. There is something for everyone at MSU. There are many majors and programs that students can join and find interesting. Tons of extra curricular activities offered, over the weekend trips, even transportation to of campus locations. Amazing. happy to be a student here.

Ryan

I am happy with Montclair State University because I get a quality education with most of my classes and it is not too big or small. However, I do believe MSU rips off students a lot with all the fees and class materials which is really annoying aside from the fact that paying for tuition is a must. Other than that, Montclair State is a university that's just right for me.

Dania

It is everything I could ever ask for. It is providing me with an excellent knowledge. It has the best professors that care very deeply about their students and always want their students to pass and gain as much knowledge as possible. Campus is a very fun and diverse environment, where everyone fits in!

Ashadah

I wish the Fashion Department was bigger and noticed at Montclair. There are no guess speakers that designed or any media coverage of the fashion shows. We could use a better facility for fashion majors and encourage students to take fashion at Montclair State. Even the Fashion club is not fun. I most likely will transfer to an art school.

Monae

To start off, I would like to begin with stating that adjusting to college was very difficult in the first half of the semester; however, once I have started to relax - I began to enjoy the new world that I have entered. The campus is beautiful and not that large to cause someone to feel overwhelmed, and the quad that we have is a nice place to hang out or do homework when it is warm outside. Additionally, since there are thousands of people attending this school, it really is not that hard to meet people; also, because majority of the class sizes are no more than 50 students, it is easier to make friends. Plus, one has many opportunities to talk to their professor because classes are smaller, and professors are always willing to help their students through email or their office hours. The campus is also pretty close to NY city, in which students can take the train right next to campus to explore NY or have a trip there (good for internships as well). Though, it seems that school spirit is pretty dull - especially when attending a few sports games and such. People are not really paying much attention to the games, but instead are just on their phones. Also, sports games are very similar to that of high school sports games; for example, we do not have huge stadiums or courts, and timings of these games are exactly the same. Extracurricular activities (or events), are also not popular, so students will not attend these things. Mind you, this may be the case for 85% of the school's population happens to be commuters. Another huge con about MSU is trying to connect with financial aid; they never seem to answer the phone or they take forever to answer your call.

Jessicca

I genuinely loved my time at MSU. I had so many wonderful educational and life experiences while there. MSU allowed me to have many internship and extracurricular opportunities as well, even leading to a full-time job upon graduation! I absolutely LOVED my time there and wholeheartedly recommend the university.

Jahmila Gordon

It is a big campus and a lot of things to get involve with. There are a variety of food which are located all over campus. There are also many options of majors and minors to take on. Many different people from all over are also enrolled so to find to your kind of friends/groups should be easy.

Wei

Overall, Montclair offers a relatively low cost, medium quality business program. For anyone who wishes to enroll. I would highly recommend more technical majors such as Finance, Accounting, Management Information System, or Economics. I would stay away from the general business programs such as management, international business, or entrepreneurship. Pros: -beautiful campus and recreation center. -near NYC location -low cost -has few professors who are extremely knowledgeable and willing to help. You just need to find them, pay attention, and do your work. -has few extremely bright and motivated students. -some decent employers recruit on site. KPMG for example. Cons: -many professors in the Montclair Feliciano Business School are charlatans. In general business classes, its quite easy to "BS" and make students believe the professors know what they're talking about. -"BSing" is sometimes encouraged, especially in programs such as marketing. -some professors tolerate cheating. - Students complain too much about work load and difficulty, although they were both moderate at best. This prevents knowledgeable professors from going deeper into subjects.

Briana

I honestly love MSU because I am comfortable here and it does not seem overwhelming or intimidating. There is more than enough events and extracurricular activities going on. In addition, the students are not snobby or mean for no reason. Everyone is really welcoming and non-judgemental which is rare to find at a University. Everybody either minds their own business or is really kind. I really could not have chosen a more perfect school for myself.

Kyle

I have visited Montclair State a few times on my own and have been very happy with what is available for both resident and commuter students. I was surprised how willing students were to talk to me and how happy they were with making Montclair their choice for continuing their education.

Montclair State University is very wide spread and I love how there are many students with different classes can still gather together, and discuss other things in life besides their classes. The University is the home to many students whether they graduated or still in campus. I am very excited to become the Red Hawks family in Fall 2018-2019.

Tyler

The campus is beautiful and the school always has extracurricular activities almost every day. I like the environment of the school and I encourage everyone to attend Montclair state university. The professors are always available through canvas and you can always ask them about anything you need help with.

Cybil

Montclair State University is a great school for incoming students looking to find their true self. College is where you find yourself and figure out who you are through many experiences and situations wherever you are, but Montclair State University is a catalyst for growth. It pushes you to learn more about different types of people from all races and different walks of life. It is a stigma-free campus so you do not have to worry about being judged when you first come in. There are always events going on during the weekday and weekend to keep you entertained and give you a break from academics. It is also a huge campus so there are different facilities everywhere such as the dining halls, the student center, and the popular student recreation center where you can workout, watch movies, or have a nice swim with your friends on a hot day. College will always be what you make of it, but Montclair State University pushes you to make the best out of your college experience and I love it!

Christina

It’s a good school for the price. As any other campus, there is always room for improvement, but it is definitely one of the better colleges I’ve experienced. My only complaint is that the administrative office can seem unorganized. Otherwise, it is a standard state college with decent academics.

Caleb

I liked the layout of the campus. The smaller class sizes appeal to me. I feel it in a good environment in which to learn better. There are many activities to do, so I would find something that I would enjoy. The campus is not that far from bigger towns, so I would stay busy.

Montclair State is honestly what you make of it. Since this is a dry campus, people usually drink in their rooms or go off-campus to frats and clubs in order to get lit, which can get pretty expensive but fun if you have the right friends. If you don't like to party, it's not hard to find like-minded people who you can hang out with and still have a good time. People sometimes say the school doesn't host enough campus events, but I think it's pretty moderate---during finals week, the school brings in dogs and farm animals to pet and play with, midnight breakfast, fraternity and sorority step shows in the quad, LGBTQ+ events, and more. There really is something for everyone at this school, and Montclair greatly emphasizes diversity. For some reason, a majority of students live relatively close to the school so a lot of kids go home for the weekend, but like I mentioned in the previous paragraph, if you have a solid group of friends it's really not a big deal and you can find something to do. The food itself is pretty good; Dunkin' Donuts, Chili's, and Panda Express are the most popular places people like to get food and my personal favorites as well. The quality of the dorms honestly just depends where you live---if you live in Bohn, for instance, expect not to get any AC, but if you live in the Heights you get AC, your own personal bathroom, and a pretty living space. It just depends, like with any school. I think the academics are fine; this school is fantastic for education, nursing, and music majors, and you'll definitely get the hands-on help you need from the staff. And contrary to popular belief, a lot of people are involved in Greek life and they can honestly greatly enhance your experience at the school. Overall, as with college in general, Montclair State is what you make of it, and I've enjoyed my time here thus far.

Jay

Montclair State is an amazing school. It excels in academics, resident life, campus life, commuter life, and it overall has a great atmosphere for a university. There is an extreme amount of diversity which makes the school pretty much a safe space for everyone. MSU was ranked in the top 25 LGBTQ+ friendly schools. It is an incredible school to attend.

Janelle

I feel as if everyone has some type of love and hate relationship with someone or something. You know what I mean? And that relationship, is what I have with my school. Being someone who is from the city (NYC), and noticing how clean it is, the reactions and the attitudes of the students here are extremely genuine and positive! The professors are pretty flexible and sweet. Overall the campus has extremely diverse amount of people which always reminds me of home, the city.

Angelia

Montclair State University holds many opportunities for the students that attend; between all the extracurricular activities and study abroad sessions, and the amazing career services such as hire a red hawk, MSU really does set students up for success. The only downside is all that construction on campus. In the three years I lived on campus, not a single day went by that there wasn't construction.

Shelley

Montclair State University is beautiful for many reasons, including it's location, architecture, and diversity of students. Providing a wide selection of classes that with professors that genuinely care for their students and are passionate towards their teachings, this university allows students to be confident in the quality of education they receive.

naim