Murray, KY
Murray State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Murray State University

Colleen

Life is not something to be accomplished, achieved and attained but a gift and an experience to be lived out fully, valuing every day for the unique opportunities it presents to mature and think of someone other than yourself. Although your own little world for the next four years will be largely college, and your own little world for the past four years has been largely high school, remember that there is a big world outside of school. Put your effort into learning to be a truly good friend rather than finding good friends, and good friends will find you. There is always going to be somebody better than you at everything – if not today, then tomorrow; if not in this class, then in that class – so don't worry about what anyone else is doing; just focus on what you love to do. Be determined to do your best regardless of criticism received or praise withheld. When you're all caught up in the hustle and bustle of college life and the continuous challenge to balance your studies, your friends and maintain your sanity, remember that college is not the be-all end-all. Breathe. Life goes on.

Alexandria

If I could go back and talk to myself while I was a high school senior about college life, I would tell myself to stay focused on my academics. I know that I am expecting a baby, but I have options. The community college offers a program through Murray State University for a Bachelors degree in Elementary Education. Go talk to the guidance counselor. You need to see what scholarships, grants, and financial aid is available. Call the community college for a tour of the campus. The advisors are caring, and they will help you with all your questions. It might seem impossible right now to obtain a degree while being a wife and mother, but it will happen. The advisors and professors want you to succeed, and they will give you the resources to achieve your goals. I understand that you are not confident in your academic abilities, but you will have a remarkable study group in your program that will allow you to excel. You need to start buying binders, folders, and organization tools, because you will need them. There is a long road ahead, but you will do great.

The academic advisors are very supportive and caring. They answer emails and messages in a timely manner. The advisors are professional, but personal too. The campus that I attend is an extension of the main University. The students in the education program are relatively close and helpful to each other. This campus allows me to pursue my Bachelors degree, while living at home. The professors provide challenging work that allows me to grow in my field of study. I am confident in my teaching abilities, because of the services that this campus provides.

I wish I would have realized my academic potential in high school. I was nominated for Who's Who during the 2011-2012 year, and have consecutively been on the Dean's list. I am a student ambassador, and I am focused on my academic studies. During high school, I did not perform to the best of my abilities. I should have had more ambition. Education is the key to success, and I wish I would have realized it then. I am a proud mother of two beautiful girls, and I want to express to them the importance of education.

It would be the fact that scheduling can be fairly difficult. You may be scheduling for the wrong classes but you will not find out about it until after you completed the course and paid for it in full. In other words, Murray has a reputation for poor advising in most cases, but most certainly not all.

I love the community that my university provides. Because it is a smaller school and is located in a small, southern town, after a few months there, it feels like everyone knows everyone and everyone seems to get a long. It's nice to be able to say to at least six or seven people before arriving to your first class.

I would just say to be sure to not work TOO hard. It's okay to relax and get out of your room sometimes. Studying is key, don't get me wrong, but college is also about the EXPERIENCE. Go to a few more basketball games or open mics. Don't be afraid to roll down a hill with some friends. Stay out late every once in a while. It's okay to just relax, breath, and have fun. But remember: don't get carried away. Your grades are very important in obtaining a future career, so be sure to study when needed, just enough to ensure you're going to get that A. But above all, have fun. Life is short. Live it.

Kristopher

I would tell myself to take scholarships more seriously and to apply for hundreds of them if not thousands of them because money is tight in college. I also would tell myself to get involved a little more in clubs and to finish out my senior year stronger than what I did.

I wish coming in that somebody had told me how much of a family everyone was at Murray State University. Literally everybody there looks out for each other. I saw this first hand with people helping me get through the issues my family had with my dad and his cancer.

The most frustrating thing that I would let prospective students coming to Murray State University know is that some of the dorms are a little beat up and worn down and that it also is very hard sometimes to get things in your dorm room fixed in a timely manner.

Rebecca

When I was in high school, I had very low self-esteem. I was an excellent student, and was able to get scholarships to four different colleges. However, because of my low self-esteem, I did not believe I could succeed at those schools. I chose instead to stay in the "safety" of my parent’s house, and to go to the local college. Looking back, I regret not going to one of those other colleges. I missed out on many experiences that can only be had during the college years. Now as I watch my own daughter getting ready to go out of state for college, I am realizing more and more what I missed out on. So I would say to my high school self, "take chances!" Don't be afraid to leave home and live on campus. Try everything! Don't be shy about getting invloved in your college campus. Take advantage of the opportunity to learn who you are, and to discover what you are passionate about. You cna only do that by getting out of your comfort zone and trying new things! And above all, "Have Fun!!"

Spenser

Murray State University is close to home, and my family has a history there. The Art Department, among others, has been particularly valuable in terms of the quality of teaching and availability of advising in terms of academic performance and preparation for professional career choices.

Students with open minds and the willingness to fullfill personal goals based on what they learn in class should attend Murray State University. The faculty offer a variety of instruction, lessons, opinions, and advice to help students best understand the assignments and projects given.

If I were to travel back in time and advise myself based on what I know about the "college life" in this present, I'm not sure where I would begin. I may warn myself about the potential to struggle with finances, or the challenge of resolving assignments and projects with confidence and determination. I may also mention the fact that some people will be difficult to understand or relate to along the way, or that it is crucial to see each goal I set to the very end. But, after much consideration and effort not to vacillate on my experiences in college, I suppose I could say that it is still every bit an individual decision. The responsibility is one's own to tame and train on whatever ambition one sees fit. I would not hesitate to make myself understand this, and how it would inevitably involve this burden of choice. Regardless of what path I aspire to walk at any part of my life, the opportunities presented to me at Murray State University are expansive and invaluable to my hopeful career, and I would be foolish not to take that chance. This is what I might tell myself.

Make sure that you try your absolute hardest, go to every class, do all of the assignments, and study for all the test! At the same time make sure you have fun, go to the football and basketball games, go to the parties and the bon fires! Try your hardest, stick your neck out make a ton of new friends, be silly, and act crazy!! Most importantly do good with your grades, that is most important!!

Try hard in all your classes, don't slack and always come to class!! Don't fall behind and always do your assignements, and study for all your tests!

A lot of the work seems like busy work even though it will help me in the long run.

Eryn

My classmates are easy to get along with, understanding, and extremely unique people who have a large heart and will always help out their peers.

I wish that I had known how to handle outside stress while attending school, i.e. relationships, deaths in the family, ect.

College life is scary. Your first year really sets the tone for the rest of your college career. Join as many clubs and organizations as you can! You have to remember that employers look at your freshman year too! Study hard. Make good grades. I know you are just starting college and the "real world" seems too far to imagine, but trust me. The time WILL fly. Attend the football games. Cheer for the basketball team. A little bit of kindness can go a long way. Do not be afraid to ask for help. If you are struggling in a class, your teacher WILL help you as long as you ask for it. They didn't become a teacher to confuse you. They want you to learn just as much as you do. Preparation for for the rest of your life starts now. I know that is a scary thought. But honestly, when it comes down to crunch time you won't be stressed if you have your plans in place. You're about to go through a lot of life changes the next four years. Make the most of it. This is YOUR future and no one else's.

Alexis

My Classmates at murray state arent classmates they are family,thats how amazing Murray State University is!

I would give myself the advice of just have fun and enjoy it, but remeber that what you do in these four years are the building blocks that set you up for your future and that it is more than important to focus and achieve and get active in anything and everything you can. Because more truly is better!

The friendly atmosphere, that makes you feel as if you have never left home and that no matter what you will always have someone there for you, even if you dont know the person in any way.

I would tell myself that college will go by much faster then you could ever imagine. Stay in touch with your pals from high school, but don't be afraid to grow close to new ones. Always say yes to going out to lunch with friends, but don't forget to venture away from campus either. There is a big world out there and the next four years is your chance to explore it. It's easier to see the world now, then in 20 years when you've got a house, a job, and a family.

Someone who wants to be a small fish in a big pond. Murray is a medium sized college, with smaller class sizes.

The summer is rather dead, so if your taking summer classes things can be a little boring.

Murray State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.