Murray, KY
Murray State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Murray State University

James

My school has a small town atmosphere, everyone knows everyone.

My school has a small town atmosphere, everyone knows everyone.

My college experience has been of one of great growth. However this growth occurred in the contained atmosphere of Murray State University. The kindness of both my professors and the upperclassman have fostered me into the college lifestyle. The professors want to see their students succeed, and feel that their job goes beyond the few hours per week in a lecture hall. Some of my fellow students have noted that we attend a "boring" school. I can understand this statement, for it is located in a small town, but there are the same opportunites here as there are everywhere else. The only difference is that you will recognize a good portion of everyone on campus, yet that could hardly be considered a negative aspect of the university.

A person who enjoys the big city lifestyle should not attend my school.

Lucy

Murray State is a beautiful campus filled with involved, nice, and bright students congregating in small class sizes with intelligent professors in order to fulfill their dreams of higher learning.

I love the people here in Murray. I feel as though everyone here is very welcoming. As a freshman I got involved in the Greek system. That is probably what I love most about Murray. The people who are involved around campus, especially my sorority. It is so fun and easy to get involved on campus. My advice for incoming students would be to get involved your first year. It really helps you meet people!

So far my college experience has been amazing. College is a place to really know who you are without guidance from your family. For me, I have really become who I've been searching for. Murray State University and its people have taught me who a great person is. I love college.

The town is very small and there is nothing to do there. Luckily Paducah is only about 20-30 minutes away and there is a mall there and more things to do. Also, it is what some consider a "moist" county. They do not sell alcohol in stores but it can be ordered at a restaurant. For beer a person must drive 30 minutes away and for liquor a person must drive 1 hour away and bring it back.

I have gotten a great education from college. I have learned more than I could have ever imagined. I know that I will be able to succeed in my career and I will live a happy life and be proud of myself. Also while in college, I have met my best friend which is the best friend I have ever had. I have found that people can be good through knowing my best friend. She accepts me for me and accepts me for my faults. I would have never had the opportunity to meet my best friend had it not been for college. Before meeting my best friend in my freshman year, I was very sad and did not do much of anything but sit in my room alone watching television. After meeting her, I met more people and actually participated in many more activities around town. My best friend is the most valuable experience from college and I am so very greatful for her every day.

It is small enough to get to know many people and it is close to a few larger cities. It is only 2 hours away from Nashville and 2.5-3 hours away from St. Louis. Also, Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley are very close to Murray and many students go to the lakes often on the weekends and breaks.

Annie

Murray State is charming. The quad filled with beautiful trees that bloom every spring and bordered by bulidings that look like they should be on Harvard's campus. Murray is the epitome of a college town. The community embraces the students, supports the university, and provides alot of opportunity for students to get interaction outside of their college experience. Almost no violence, the biggest concern is a parking ticket. MSU's administration puts students 1st. Last year, I was walking to an 8AM final in the freezing December snow and the Vice-President of Student Affairs was handing out free coffee and hot chocolate on campus! How's that for treatment. Of course, there are the same issues as always, tuition will always go up. But, I have loved my time at MSU, would advise everyone to visit us!

Love it here, please check it out. I have met very few who are not happy at Murray State.

NO! MSU, while it is predominately caucasian, has a great population of students studying abroad from around the world. Also, the african american community here at MSU is growing an thriving. Lots of students are from the St. Louis and Louisville areas. We attract students from far away as well.

Good school. Professors help you to achieve a great balance of academic intelligence and practical life application in classes. We have some super-competitive programs. Others are average. Professors here truly care about students. Most classes beyond the Freshman year Gen.Ed.s are smaller than 50. Some get town to fewer than 15 as your time progresses.

Being GREEK at MSU is huge. There are not a ton of chapters, but they are very prominent on campus. Most people in powerful positions here are greek. Basketball is big here. The program has been gettin better for a while now, this year we beat Vandy in the tourney and made a name for ourselves outside of the OVC. Football isn't a big deal, but the new coach is trying hard to increase student and community interest.

I have gotten a great sense of self from attending Murray State University. I think this came mostly from my peers, as well as from the community and my college professors. I have learned more about myself by becoming independent from my parents than had I stayed at a local college. I am also very determined and I enhanced my work-ethic by suceeding in challenging courses, as well as keeping a healthy social life and working part-time out of school.

Someone who enjoys small towns and a community-based atmosphere.

There is a lack of parking for commuters.

After growing up in a small town, and seeing the same people for all of my education, I was pleasently surpised by the diversity in nationalities and personalities displayed among the students at Murray State University.

I for one was very suprised by the amount of responsibility I had to take on when leaving for college, but the new friends and teachers at MSU helped ease the transition and made the growing experience a fun one.

I have gotten so many things out of my college experience. To start off with, I have made so many new friendships that I hope to keep throughtout my college experience, and life. I have also gained a new sense of responsibility in terms of taking care of myself. My parents aren't with me to do my laundry and make me go to class. Ive had to grow up and learn how to do so many things on my own and i have trully grown from it. Knowledge is another important thing I have gotten from Murray. I have learned so many new interesting things in my classes. I would say my experience at Murray State has been a very valuable experience that has helped me grow as a student and a person, and I wouldnt trade my freshmen year here for anything.

Josh

Murray State University is well-known throughout the nation for its very successful Nursing and Education programs. I am proud to call myself a member of the Nursing Program, the most difficult major offered here according to students, and I am strongly looking forward to continuing myjourney through the program. MSU is also known for its extremely successful basketball program, with 33 Ohio Valley Conference Championships and 13 NCAA Tournament appearances.

The transition from high school to college life is a fickle fiend, as going from living under Mom and Dad's roof to attempting to be somewhat self-sufficient is one of the single-biggest changes a young person will have to go through. I would definitely tell my younger senior self to better prepare for the dorm life. My experiences living with certain people that dirty up the place and don't keep up with their duties have irked me more than I would have liked. This came from assuming that everything was going to be perfect and nothing was going to go wrong. That was definitely not the case. I would also tell myself to make sure and get on my studies very, very early. Nothing is worse than ill-advisedly studying for a exam that counts for 25 percent of your grade. Learning to deal with people and to be a better student woud be at the top of the list of things that I would tell my past self, in order to benefit myself in the future.

Not only is Murray State University a very successful academic school, the comradery between the students here makes the college experience that much more fulfilling. College is a two-part world, and a solid balance between the academia and social realms will bring about a better form of success in each and every student.

Ashlee

Seemingly small considerations make a huge difference once you are actually on a college campus. Don't choose a campus without visiting, touring dorms, sampling food, etc. Staying overnight with a friend is the best way to get the actual feel for the place. Tour guides are trained to make it seem great, but a student will tell you the full truth about the inns and outs of the university/college. Getting involved is the best way to transition. Go to club meetings, sporting events, cultural enrichment nights. You might be uncomfortable for the first few minutes, but college is all about meeting people - EVERYONE is looking to make friends. Speak up, say hello to someone and go from there. It'll make it much easier on you in the long run.

If you like intense "night life," Murray is not that place for you; also, if you are into fast-paced, day-to-day ongoings, Murray will likely seem dull.

Artistic and/or Agriculturally based persons will thrive in Murray.

I tell them how great the professors are, they take time in class, outside of class, and out of their schedule to spend time with you and make you feel comfortable with the topics you're studying. I love the history behind this school as well as there is a ton of history and heritage at Murray State University.

Those who are not willing to put in the time and dedication to their schooling, while relatively inexpensive, as my first semester at Murray State University I found that you spend a lot of time in your studies and will pull many late nights working on your studies to excel.

If I could go back and talk to myself in my high school senior year I would tell myself I shouldn't worry about the hardship you're recieving in school now, you'll meet tons of new people, have an amazing advisor who will take the time to sit and talk with you when you're feeling confused about school and be surrounded by brilliant professors. Focus on your studies and work hard to keep at what you want in life and don't let anyone sell you short, because you're an amazing person who is intelligent and can become what you believe you can be.

Matthew

Murray is a very friendly school in a small town. The campus is beautiful. I enjoy outdoor activities that are available in the area. Land Between the Lakes offers fishing and hunting as well as hiking. I have enjoyed all my classes and made many friends.

I would work hard to get the best ACT score possible. I have enjoyed being a student athlete and I would not change that in any way. I have been very happy with the path I have taken and I hope to obtain my M.B.A. in May of 2010. I would strongly recommend Murray State University to any high school senior and have recommended it to my younger sister, who is a high school senior this year.

It becomes more difficult to get the schedule you need as you progress toward your degree. In the higher level classes there is sometimes only one class available.

Murray State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.