Murray, KY
Murray State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Murray State University

Lindsey

Knowing what I know now about college life I would have been more prepared for financial dilemmas and filled out more scholarships. The advice that I would give myself before attending college would be to prepare for classes that are more strenous and difficult but to not let them get you down. Attending college is far more difficult than I imagined but I know that by being determined and having a strong work ethic I can succeed and become something better than I ever imagined.

Kailey

Upon graduating from high school, I became very excited but equally as nervous to start a new chapter in my life. This chapter would be filled with unique experiences, including a list of unexpected situations I had never before encountered. Looking back, I did not realize what an impact studying would have on my grades. In high school, I did not use my time wisely and fully prepare for tests. However, while attending college, I have gained such a respect for these studying skills and have grown to rely heavily upon them to get by. I now also must have some way of managing my time and organizing my thoughts. Time is very precious with my busy schedule and I must always carry a planner with me. I also wish I had known how vital it is to pay attention to the syllabus at the beginning of the year. A teacher has very specific ideas on how to run their class. Knowing what your teacher expects of you what you should expect to see from them, determines your overall success in their class. All of these things I wish I had known and would offer as advice to new students.

The best part about my school is it's location. Murray is a small town but has lots of opportunities for it's students. But not only does the community embrace the students at Murray State, but the faculty and staff are caring as well. There are so many people who are willing and able to help you along your journey as a student. There are also many opportunities to take part in clubs and join in on meetings to get aquainted with others who may have the same interests as you.

The teachers are excellent and are always there for any extra assistance you may need. At the beginning of every semester, and throughout, they are sure to remind you of their office hours and contact information. There are also lots of chances to be tutored or even help other students by working as a tutor. There are many opportunities to seek help even with problems other than your schoolwork.

Parking is a very large problem at Murray State. There are those students who live on campus and the freshmen who all bring their vehicles. Then we also have to accomodate for those students who commute and also the professors, and staff. I feel as though the University is remodeling the dormatories and are working hard in campus a new parking lot would be most beneficial.

I wish I would have been a little more prepared to live in a rural area being as I was raised in a city. But overall after getting used to the new area I really enjoy the tight knitt community that Murray has to offer.

After taking the knowledge and experiences that I have been through I would tell myself many things in order to prepare for the transition. I would tell myself to get ready for the biggest change of my life. Moving twelve hours away to attend college will not be an easy change and there will be many times when the opportunity arises to quit but that I have the will power to make it through and in the end will be very happy with my decision. I would also tell myself to take the ride that college has to offer and to make as many friends as possible and enjoy learning about new people and their ways of doing things. The last thing that I would tell myself would be to study hard and remember that in the future I will not only hold a diploma but also the key to many happy memories.

Amy

Be prepared to do a lot of work but don't be discouraged because in the end it is all worth it. You'll have a great time in a majority of your classes, make great friends that you'll have through out life, and have a plethora of options waiting for you. Just be yourself and don't worry what others will think. You have to be true to yourself first and good things will happen. Be open to new ideas, new opportunities and new friendships. Relax, enjoy and be happy.

It may be a small school but there is a strong sense of community among everyone. The library is easily accessible adn there is a great new science building with all new modern equipment. You make friends for life here.

The only bad thing that I can think of that I wish I had known about was that sometimes the financial aid department doesn't always send out messages if something has been changed. They automantically assume you already know about the changes either by flyers or word of mouth.

Santana

The reason why I considered attending Murray State University is because it is a small 4-year college and the tuition isn't very high. I like being in small classes because then you get more attention from your professors and the enviroment is one on one. The school is the perfect distance away from home, 4 hours away, close enough to drive, but far enough to give me a sense of independence. The campus enviroment is easy to get around with modest means of transportation.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend Murray State University is someone who doesn't like small towns, who likes to be near or in a big city or close to a mall. Murray, Kentucky is a retirement town, with a college in the middle of it. Most of the residents in Murray are elderly and are against alcohol consumption/partying. Also, students who prefer to have bigger classes, well known sports teams, and more to do, should not decide to attend this college.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself, I would tell myself to get a head start on applying for scholarships, and to apply to a 4 year college after graduating early from high school. I would save myself the trouble and tell myself information about what my life would be like if I took a year off from school, and all the things that could have happened if I would have kept attending college. I would encourage myself to make college my number one priority and to not let anything stand in my way of becoming an independent. I would also encourage myself to get a good job with a business like UPS (united postal service), a business like UPS pays for your school, in full. They also reimburst you for any payments that you did have to make, like for books, that they didn't pay for. They also require you to keep up with your grades and send in a copy of your grades and classes.

Matthew

Murray State University is a university highly focused on academics, greek life, campus involvement, and community service.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to a have higher belief in my capabilities. It happens too often that people underestimate their own talents and abilities. As a high school senior, I would not have believed that I was capable of traveling thousands of miles to a foreign land with no family--no familiar faces, only to come back with a better understanding of a foreign culture, a new language, and ultimately of my own self-perception. My talents and passions were hidden deep in the fog of my own self-deprecation. If I could tell myself anything, I would tell myself not to worry about impressing my peers and conforming to group norms; but instead, stand out by doing what I know is right. To be a leader. Acting and performing to the best of my abilities and searching deep for my own passions has given me a strong foundational confidence. This confidence exists in knowing that I can always do better--be better. Philip James Bailey said it best: "He lives most who thinks most, feels the noblest, acts the best."

The most frustrating thing about my school is that it is impacted greatly by the local conservative religious population that is intolerant to religious, and political diversity.

Corinne

Murray is a pretty campus in a non-existent city. It is utterly a college town and a small one at that.

Expect to see lots of cowboy hats.

Murray is bland and stuck in the middle of nowhere.

For the most part, yes, the stereotypes are correct. Although there is a fair amount of foreign people here too.

The classes are small and some are challenging, most professors will know your name.

Social scene sucks here. Everything closes at midnight except for McDonalds. The greek parties are VERY hard to get into, you have to RSVP on facebook and get on a list.

Cowboys, rednecks, hicks and racists

Rebecca

This is a difficult question because there are so many things about college that you can only prepare for by experiencing. I suppose I would tell myself to schedule time to study. Don't assume that you will always have time to do homework or that the hour before bed that you alotted in high school will be enough in college. Much more study time is required and you need to be prepared for that. It's all too easy to fall behind in class if you do not study every day so you need to make yourself sit down and work even if you would rather be out riding your horse or talking with friends. Homework always needs to come first in order to succeed in college.

The thing that is the worst about this school is that there are no quiet comfortable places to study. The comfortable furniture in the library is on the loud floor and the quiet floor is uncomfortable. The study lounges in the dorm have the most uncomfortable furniture found outside of church pews. And the dorms are too loud; people screaming, dropping stuff, or running up and down the hallyways all the time. It makes studying difficult.

The best thing about this school is that the majority of the people are agriculture. This is good for me because I come from an agricultural background and want to be a vet so the people who are interested or knowledgble about agriculture are more likely to share common interests or experiences with me.

Sooyeon

Various campus organizations that are available to students to be involved in, such as Greek organizations, Students Government Association, and so on. Especially, if students are interested in fraternity or sorority pledging, then try to learn about each organization of your interest in prior to the initiation. You might later regret your decision that you made while not fully informed.

I would do my best on the SATs and ACTs to boost my chance to receive more scholarships from schools for which I would apply. Finance was one of the major reasons that led me choose MSU, which offered more scholarships than any other schools, and sometimes I wondered whether I would have gone to a more prestigious school, had I been guaranteed the same--or better--financial support from other schools. However, I would give myself this piece of advice: no matter where you end up--whether the school is presitigious or not--, the degree of satisfaction in college depends on how you make up your mind to be. You can always find all kinds of fascinating opportunities to enrich your experiences in college--you just have to explore it yourself. So before you grumble about how small and mediocre your school is, look around to see some amazing aspects of your school about which you didn't know, and start imagining how great it would be to your advantage to intergrade those awesome factors into your life! There are always interesting things to explore in college, and you will be sorry if you don't start it now.

This school fits students who are looking for a like-home, community centered environment. Students who have goals that the want to reach, while still wanting to be a part of the community will love it. If you want to get a degree and be on the right track to having a successful career while having a great time, MSU is the place for you. It's the ultimate college experience.

Take everything that your teachers teach you, you'll use it ALL down the road. Also, if you thought you were studying in high school, you have no idea!

I wish that I would have known my major. Changing majors put me a little behind, MSU is doing great with getting me back on track though.

Murray State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.