Murray, KY
Murray State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Murray State University

I believe Murray State University is best known for our community. We strive to make everyone feel welcome and appreciated. Everyone here is so wonderful and nice to each other, and everyone is very friendly, whether you are talking to a professor, office worker, or another student! We have things like Residential Colleges and Intramural Sports that can give way to friendly competition, and is also a great way to meet people! Plus, almost every organization on campus, from the Honors Program to the Greeks, has philanthropic events that give back to the community that gives us so much support!

There is nothing you can really do to prepare for the stress, and the joy, of college life. What I would tell my high school self is that everything works out in the exact right way. Fill out college applications, fill out scholarship applications, work hard to get into the school that you want to get into, but don't get disheartened if something didn't turn out precisely how you planned it would. Everything works out in the exact right way. The college you go to will be more than just a school to you. College is your place to find great, long lasting friendships, your place to date a few cute guys, your place to be on your own for the first time, your place to find yourself. The college you go to will be your home for the next four years, and honestly it will go by a lot faster than you would like. Sure you will fail a couple tests and skip a couple classes along the way, but don't worry. Everything works out in the exact right way.

The type of person that shouldn't attend this school is a negative, judgmental person. We at Murray State believe in treating people equally and fairly. There is an unspoken rule of friendliness and respect towards one another, and if you are the type of person who doesn't believe in that, this is probably not the school for you.

Kelsey

I would give myself the advice to take more AP classes for college credit. I would tell myself to start building a budget, and to start saving as much money as possible. I would encourage myself to be more involved so I could open myself up to other opportunities more. I would also tell myself to mentally and emotionally prepare for the distance of being away.

I brag most about the community of the school and its size. The school is not too big, and not too small. There is a friendly face around every corner and the campus is always kept clean and beautiful. The professors on campus are always helping when you need it, as well as, the other faculty on campus.

The most frustrating thing is getting money and scholarships, and communicating with the financial aid offices to get clear answers.

Allison

The most unique trait of Murray State University is the diversity. I have never seen a place so interratical. We have students and teachers from 9 different countries. It is a wonderful thing because you can learn so much about how things are from different students. With all of this diversity, you get an expierence of being in the real world. It is so nice to see all sorts of faces as you walk to class.

If I could write a letter to myself, I would tell her to not blink. I would tell her to not worry about growing up too fast. I would tell her that in a year from now your boyfriend cheating on you wouldn't matter because there is a better guy in your future. I would tell her to take in every last football game she was cheering in. That was the last year I would ever be cheering and I wish I could go back. I would tell her not to worry about deciding on a college; in the end you will pick the perfect university. I would tell her to have fun and relax. It will go so fast. I would tell her to thank thank Mr. Gavin everyday. No one would of guessed that our last day of high school would be the day he takes his last breath. I would tell myself to spend all of my free time with my mother, she is the MOST important person in your life and always will be. I would also tell her to save every penny: college is expensive!

I brag the most about the fact that Murray is the friendliest town. Coming from a big city, it is nice to have strangers smile and say hello. It is nice to hear that other people that you don't know care about how you are doing and are willing to help if you need assistance. With those types of people living in the community, it spreads to the campus. Everyone around campus is going to say hello and ask about your day. It is a truley comforting feeling.

Leslie

Murray State University is an incredible, academically sound, community supported campus that consists of people who are friendly, southern, and committed to making other people feel welcomed while providing a top-notch education experience.

If I was gifted with the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior I would take the opportunity to tell myself to stop being so caught up with what other people think of me and truly be genuine to who I was. Coming into college I was excited about the chance to be whoever I wanted to be but trying to reinvent myself from the person I had grown up in high school to be resulted in discontentment and misery. It wasn't until a friend introduced me to the true Gospel of Jesus Christ that I understood that I had identity outside of what other people thought of me that I was able to look at the world with joy and live my life as the person I was created to me. I would tell my 18 year old self to take a look at my own heart, realize that Jesus loves me for who I am and then live to be that person to His glory. This would have made the transition into college much easier and I would have developed lasting frienships from the begging of school rather than delaying them.

I wish I would have known about how many opportunities, activities and clubs there were to get involved with and that getting involved in such things was actually "cool". I thought that those things would be lame and that the people would likewise be lame but the environment and types of students her are all very genuine and a joy to be around! If I could do it all over again I would definitely put fortth an effort to get more involved in on campus activities and try to make friends outside of my sports team!

Elizabeth, You know that boy you're thinking about? He's not worth your time. You know that test you didn't do well on? It's not worth the worry. You know the bullshit you have to deal with at work? It's not worth your energy. You know about the family complications? It's not worth losing sleep over. The only thing that you need to focus on is yourself and what makes you happy. That means taking a weekend off of work and putting the books down to go out with your friends, spend time with your sister, and make memories. Your little sister won't be so little soon and she will miss and need you appreciate it while you can. Keep your standards high in college. Get out of your comfort zone and meet new friends. Work Study. Party. Laugh. Nobody is as good at being you, xcept you. You're going to go through rough times, but the good ones make up for it. You're well loved here at MSU. You have people who have your back and will help you up when you fall. So smile. You're prettier that way. Elizabeth

The guest rule. During the week, students who live in the residential colleges are not allowed to check another person into their dorm for more than six hours between 9 p.m. and 9 a.m. This means I cannot spend the night, have study groups, or simply hang out with friends who live in other buildings on weekdays. Students are 18 years or older and pay to live on campus which means students should be allowed to choose how long they want to check a guest into their building.

A person who thrives on relationships should attend MSU. The small town and school offer a sense of community. No matter one's race, age, size, religion, etc. wherever one goes at least ten strangers will smile, wave, or greet that person. I have never witnessed a friendlier place. A person who is looking for academic challenges. MSU is home of one of best nursing programs and the nation's best OSHA program. A person who loves to have fun. During the day Murray is a sweet town, but at night it gets wild.

Summer

Murray State University is unique in the fact that some of the programs allow students to attend community college and the university at the same time while pursuing his/her degree. Murray State has one of the top rated basketball teams around and people drive for miles to sit in the stands and watch the athletes play. Murray State takes their role in providing students with the best education very seriously and truly care about the students. They go out of their way to ensure students get the help they need.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, advice that I would give myself would be to research the different colleges that are out there. Make sure I know what degree I want to pursue and stick with it. Make appointments to attend the colleges for visits to learn more about how that specific college works. Get involved by asking college students to give me one line of advice as a prospective student. Research to find out how long it will take to receive the degree I have chosen. Get an estimate of all related college costs. Make a financial plan and stay with it. Always order used books or rent because it does save money. I would say to take the first semester after high school off and after that go full time. If summer classes were an option, I would choose to take one class online every summer to finish my degree early. It pays off. The final piece of advice I would give is to make sure the classes I am enrolled in will count towards my degree and not to enroll in any that won't.

Murray State is a residential comprehensive university. They work very hard to ensure students receive the education they need. Murray State has a no tolerance drug policy. Murray State isn't for the college partier or for those not serious about their education and role as a student.

Madison

Murray State is truly a home away from home! Not only are you in a home environment with your fellow students and faculty, but the community also serves as a big brother to all the students at Murray State. I am in a sorority and we have adult advisors that help us with anything like finding a job, homework, a hot meal, being sick etc. My parents have felt much more at ease with me having a few people almost like extended family to count on in emergencies.!

Dear Madison, I would like to commend you on trying to get yourself ready for college by taking all of the A.P classes that were offered at you high school! It will truly make college easier, altleast in the begining. I know you mom is constantly telling you that you need to learn to do laundry and cook simple meal and you keep pushing it back....DON'T! Go ahead and get comfortable with those simple daily duties. Plan you time wisely. That has been my biggest ajustment at college. I was always a late studier and doing homework last minute. Big mistake to do that at college because everything will pile up quick. As soon as you know an assignment start it and finish as soon as possible. Fortunately, I had a few professors that helped get me on track with leniency. Get involved with your campus clubs and campus sports as much as possible. Its a great way to meet friends and future study buddies! Thank your teachers before you leave because even though you thought everything you were doing was stupid they have totally prepared you for college! Go MCHS!

I feel like one of the best things about Murray is small class sizes and instructors that will work with you on just about anything. The interaction between students and faculty at this University is amazing! I can't image that any other would come close to comparing with that and the overall expierence here at Murray. It has made the transition from home to college an easy one to accomplish.

Alayna

Transitioning from high school to college is an experience unlike any other. The emotional mix of excitement and nerves can leave a person feeling overwhelmed. However, whether going away from home or attending a local college or university, the possibilities your future holds are endless. College is all about experiencing new things, stepping outside of your comfort zone, and striving for the best. When the anxiety from change brews in your stomach, remember; every incoming freshman is in the same situation: new surroundings, new people, new opportunities. So go out and try things you otherwise wouldn’t, take chances, and strive to be your best. Don’t worry about how you look or what others will think of you, any thoughts of negativity will keep you from pursuing your dreams. Talk to everyone that crosses your path because just like you, everybody’s looking for new friendships and experiences. Most importantly be yourself and strive for want you want like never before. Lastly, always remember why you are attending college—for the education, so make it count!

More money given to athletes than scholars

the food program needs to step up its game!

Josh

If i could go back in time as a high schooler, in my senior year I would tell myself to enjoy high school while you still can becasue once it is over there is no going back. I wouldn't tell myself to change anything because I believe that everything happens for a reason, and that if I hadent made the choices I have in the past I wouldn't be the man I am today.

The kind of person that should not attend this school is anyone who doesnt like the country. This Campus is predominantly farm boys and southern bells. Also in the winter it gets very cold here so another person who shouldn't attend this school is anyone who doesnt like the cold or snow.

diamond

The first advice would be to take the time to figure out exactly what career field I am interested in pursing. This would help in the decision of which college I would be attended. I feel that is very important to do research before attending a college because this college will determine your success for the future. Research each colleges' programs and what they offer to their student. Make sure college of choice is affordable. Try to stay away from loans and if needed apply to as much scholarships as possible. Also, college requires a lot of hard work and dedication. As a college, you must gear yourself for the amount of material and work that you would be receiving throughout your college years. It is very important to get all the help from professors and additional help of tutors that are provided to help you with your work if needed. Give yourself time to go over materials learning after every class. This would help in preparation of papers and exams.

Murray State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.