New York, NY
The New School

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The New School

Judy

I wouldn't say there is any particular student activity that is most popular. That is what is nicest about The New School. You can find pretty much anything you want to do...from theater to dance to activist interests to rowing the Hudson. Here you are free to be whoever you are without any pressure and if you are interested in something somewhere there is a group. There are always new groups forming and there is always a welcome atmosphere. One can choose to be very involved or just a little.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Pretty much anything and everything. The School is in the heart of Greenwich village in New York City. There are museums, cafes, restaurants, fast food, slow food, dance clubs, jazz clubs, you name it ...you probably can find it.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

If you live in the dorms you have a meal plan but if you don't you can either get a meal plan or get "Dining for Dollars". That is just basically putting money on your ID card so you can eat at the different dining facilities on campus and not pay extra taxes...definitely worth it. As far as food options...this is New York City! You can pretty much get any kind of food at pretty much any price you want at any time day or night.

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

Yes and no. I am changed for the better. To some extent I am still basically me but all the best things about me have gotten better. For example I used to write but I had stopped over the years. I am writing again and find my muse.

What do people really wear to class?

Anything and everything.Everyone has a distinct personality and nobody ever feels embarrassed by what is right for them!

Why did you decide to go to this school?

They were the only school which was willing to let me design my degree the way I wanted (with approval of course). Every other school only had one aspect or another of what I wanted to do.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

There are many study spaces fully stocked with computers and space to spread out and work. There is also the Lang Cafe and the popular Lang Courtyard (for nice days)

I think what makes The New School different are the classes, the professors and the curriculum. The professors are not your standard professor...even in some of the more academic like classes like Psych courses. Each professor I have encountered has been extremely engaging, interesting and totally "out-of-the-box". They are really excited by what they are teaching and are genuinely conscious of the student...where they are at and what they are getting out of the class. I had a Liberal Arts Jazz and American History class. I thought it was going to be a totally long lecture class. It is a subject I enjoy so I didn't mind. The course prove to be so much more. The professor was a professional jazz musician who brought the history to life with live musicians to illustrate the music of the various periods. This was a treat I didn't expect! Yes there were papers to write and text to read but the assignments were so fascinating that they were not a chore at all. The courses are not your standard 101 types but ones that expand your curiosity, challenge you to look inside and challenge yourself. No matter how much a course is suppose to be a lecture, there is always a lively discussion involved. Students here study hard but everyone is so into what they are doing it really doesn't seem like a chore. The teachers and students have such a rapport that they just seem to blend outside the classroom. It isn't uncommon to see a student and teacher in a discussion of one sort or another walking along...be it about the course or the best place to get something to eat. As a non-traditional student finishing my BS with an MA option, I have found that being able to design my curriculum was perfect. I had never been able to find any one school which could bring together all that I wanted to do into my degree. This school did. In general, you are not locked into a stereotypical course formula. In fact you are encouraged to stretch the boundaries and do more...and most students that I have met have. I feel that though my degree was designed with getting a job in mind, none of my courses have been taught to just do that. Instead they have each encouraged me to reach outside the course curriculum and learn more just for the sake of learning something new or interesting.

Amy
What do students complain about most?

What do students complain about most?

I've heard students complain about the workload, but I really don't think it is that awful. This is college, of course you'll get lots of homework! It isn't necessarily that there is a lot, but how infrequent the levels of homework are. Some days you'll be asked to write a paper that is 16 pages as well as read 200 pages of a book, other days you'll be asked to read one chapter. It is this infrequency that frustrates students, but I don't mind it.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

Politics are definitely something that is discussed a lot. Especially with Occupy Wall Street and the upcoming election. Another topic that has gotten some attention is Kony 2012 and the atrocities in Northern Uganda. I think students at the New School are aware of what is going on around them so they have a lot to say.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

There really is none. I believe we have some intermurals, but I honestly don't know about them. You aren't going to find "jocks" at the New School. But you're in New York City, so you've got plenty of professional sports teams to root for.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

This is actually something that I still struggle with. I think once a day is perfect because you check in, and let them know you're okay. Some people say every other day or every couple of days, but I disagree with that. I think it is important to keep in touch with your parents and make sure they know what's going on with you.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Honestly, I went to another college first that I thought would be the perfect school and it really wasn't. I had always considered the New School but I wasn't sure if it was the right fit. I've always wanted to live in New York City, and I was trying to find a school that would fit me. Once I saw the amazing courses that Lang had, I knew there wasn't another option.

Eunsoo

There are some facilities that need renovation like elevators. The faculties are made up of talented indiviual artists. Parsons is right in the middle of Manhattan, making it easier for students to be influenced by the environment; numerous museums and galleries to widen their perspectives. Since Parsons doesn't have its own campus, the whole city of New York acts as its campus.

That Parsons students dress up fancy to their classes. This is true to some students. There are other students who dress up like any other college students -normal.

Emma

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my choice of The New School. I think my classes are comprehensive and well structured; they're challenging but manageable. The thing I most like about my school is that it understands the big picture, meaning that I really feel like I'm going to school to learn things that I can then apply to a career and to my life in general. My school is very connected to the outside world: I'm always getting emails about guest speakers, internship opportunities, gallery shows, and non-profit organizations that are looking for student involvement. Also, living in New York City, I never feel trapped in a bubble, and school is really something that compliments, informs, and enhances my life rather than consumes it. The down side of this is, of course, that we don't have a real campus or a college town feel, though the main buildings are located in close proximity, so you do bump into friends moving from class to class. Also, school pride is probably not as strong as one would find on a more traditional campus, or at a school where sports are an integral part of school life. The school is small enough to know a lot of the people in your class, and can feel even more intimate within your major division, but large enough that you have a measure of anonymity. The faculty are great, especially at Parsons, as they're all working in their field as well as teaching. The administration is in general very hands-on, but one thing I would change about the New School, is the website. It can be very convoluted, and trying to get information or figure out administrative questions can be frustrating. There are often glitches in the technology, but this aslo comes partly from the fact that the New School uses very advanced technology and has moved a lot of stuff on line, which is convenient most of the time. Overall I would say that I have enjoyed the New School so much because I'm part of their dual degree (BA/BFA) program, and if I were to go to just Parsons, it wouldn't feel academic enough, and if I were to go to just Lang, it wouldn't feel competitive enough, but together they make the perfect balance.

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

I don't feel like I've changed, so much as I've matured since I've come to school. People have always considered me very mature for my age, but I find theres a big difference between turning 18 and "becoming an adult" and learning to live out on your own. It wasn't shocking for me at all, going off to school, but looking back, I see how far I've come, even just learning to balance your school/social life with house work like laundry, cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, etc. It all becomes very natural once you start doing it for yourself.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

I've always been very independent, but I still phone home once every couple weeks, sometimes more, and I text or email my parents all the time, just to keep up a connection, and keep them updated on my life. If you're enjoying yourself at school, and you're enjoying your time with friends, then you really don't need to worry about phoning home too much. Its different for everyone, its just about finding what feels right for you.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

The hardest thing about freshman year is balancing your new-found freedom and all the cool extracurricular activities available in the city with demanding course work. Foundation year at Parsons is notoriously hard, but its completely doable, and you can keep your social life, if you learn to be reasonable. I find if I keep on top of my homework during the week I can go out Friday and Saturday night, and enjoy my Sundays, and still have time left over to get some work done. Its all a matter of getting adjusted to your new schedule (which for most kids is very different from high school). I don't think I have significantly more work, but then again I went to a pretty demanding high school. However, I definitely did struggle the first month or two before I figured out the best way to get everything accomplished on time.

What do people really wear to class?

People wear all sorts of crazy stuff to class. One thing thats great about the New School is you can really wear anything and people will love you for it. I've seen guys trekking up the 12 flights to class in four inch faux leopard platforms, and wearing pink bobbed wigs. I've also seen many girls with bright green hair and doc martins. Then again, there are plenty of people who stick to the jeans and T look. Most Parsons classes are anywhere from 3 to 6 hours long, so comfort can be a factor, as well as mess, charcoal and oil paint are hard to remove in the wash!

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to the New School because I was really excited about their dual-degree program (BA/BFA), where students go to both Eugene Lang (for a bachelors of art) and either The New School for Jazz or Parsons (for a bachelors of fine arts). I chose the New School over other universities which offered a similar program because of its stellar location, right in the heart of the West Village, NYC, and I couldn't be happier. Not only do I love the location, but I also love the classes, the social life, and the freedom of living in New York City.

First of all, single straight ladies: be forewarned, there are next to no straight guys here, especially at Parsons. That being said, my closest friend is a straight guy from Parsons, so they exist. The dorms, in particular the all-freshman dorm, Stuyvesant Hall (Stuy), are very social. People always have something to do, either at the dorm, or out in the city, on weekend nights. Stuy is suite style dorms, meaning that anywhere from 2-6 students will be grouped together in a suite, sharing a bathroom and a kitchen, with either one or two bedrooms. I met most of my friends freshman year because I lived at Stuy, and people are always awake (literally always, this is partially an art school, and the homework never stops) and they're always down to hang out. I'm usually awake at 2 a.m. on a Tuesday, and I'm either working on an art project, or watching a movie or cooking lunch for tomorrow, or even hanging with friends, though I do most of my socializing on the weekends. We don't have a greek life here, but there are a lot of connections among New York City college students, so students from NYU and the New School and Marymount Manhattan all socialize and party together. Because this is New York City, there is always stuff to do, with or without substances, so if you don't plan on drinking at all while you're hear, don't worry, there's still plenty of stuff for you to do, such as go out with friends to 18+ clubs, or go see movies and theater shows.

lesley

I absolutely love my school. When applying to colleges i wasnt sure where i was headed exactly or what my interests would consist of, that would lead me into a desirable career. When i began Parsons The New School, it was a natural transition from high school to college, but i had great advisors and classes that challenged me as well as inspired me to keep moving forward within my studies. Each year i've progressed at the New School, i've been presented with great opportunities that have enhanced my social and working networks and jobs that have already helped me achieve my goals academically and personally.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Each student and faculty receives a newschool id, which you use for everything, including purchasing food on campus. In a few of the dorms there are cafeterias that have similar foods to home cooked meals, I’ve personally never ate at the dorm cafeteria. There is a Starbucks in one of the Parsons building, where you can buy the same coffee and teas from Starbucks for a slightly cheaper price with your newschool id. There are cafes and places that make fresh sandwiches, salads, sushi, soups, and other cooked foods including breakfasts, which there is always yogurt, fruits, pastries, bagels and other condiments. It is very convenient having money on your ID as you can easily purchase food that’s a lot cheaper than buying it off the street, and saves you from having to pay for food with your own cash or credit. The sandwiches are mostly made in front of you, with a huge selection of various breads, toppings, spreads etc… This goes for the salads as well. There are always vegetarian/vegan options as well.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Well because the New School is in the city, after leaving a “campus building” you see other buildings, stores in the area. The buildings are spread out through certain areas in NYC. Parsons and Eugene Lang are all located in the union square 14th street area of NYC. In the area there are many places to eat, coffee shops, clothing stores, shopping, thrift shops, other administration New School buildings, restaurants, residential buildings and other facilities. There are also parks in the area, such as Union Square Park and a few others. It’s an urban environment basically.

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

I feel like i've developed as a person, student, daughter, and artist. I don't feel like i've "changed" but i feel like i've grown and am continuing to grow into the person i always have been, with new perceptions. Being in college and having different obligations and responsibilities helps you form beliefs, practices and perceptions that you perhaps didnt have while in high school or still living at home. I have been exposed to some great people and opportunities that have challenged and inspired me. I have come across personal challenges and balancing friendships, relationships and living on campus. All of these things have helped me understand myself better, and knowing what I'm capable to balance being a student.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

I am originally from NYC and live on campus, and i phone home once a day or every other day, or few days. There's not really any specific amount that is considered good or bad, it all just depends on what your needs are, how you are feeling and managing school, and other obligations. Once a day isnt too much, but it is a good idea to sort of adapt to your new environment, and experience the transition for itself because it is something new. However staying in contact with family and friends is extremely beneficial and should just be balanced into your schedule.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

Since the New School isn't really a campus where there is a huge promotion on parties and that kind of life, there isnt much pressure at all. You really choose who you hang out with and what events you decide to attend. Therefore being a non-drinker is not difficult at all. There are a lot of open minded students on campus, some are vegans, vegetarians, non-smokers, etc... So you really are accepted for what you do, and don't do in and out of school, and it's all up to you whether you attend a party or event.

What do people really wear to class?

It depends on what major the student is. Fashion majors usually dress with more "fashion" or input in clothes, accessories, style than other students. It's not intimidating or unusual to see varies of dressing styles based on people's interests and studies at school. It's very inspiring to see variations of design. Design technology students like myself dress very casually, relaxed and sometimes dressy but nothing too fancy like fashion students. Illustrators and fine artists at Parsons dress very uniquely. Some students have different hair colors, jeans with paint and all kinds of stuff on them, loose clothing, very artsy.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

The hardest thing about freshman year is getting adjusted to the kind of work you're doing in school. If you are serious and passionate about your studies theres a lot more to do outside of class. College coursework is very different from high school, whereas what you study in class ultimately becomes your interest and research out of class. So getting used to the constant seeking of new information and knowledge to guide your studies, is something that doesn't settle in immediately.

The one thing i wish someone had told me freshman year, was not to worry! Transitioning from high school into college is a huge step and lots of students find themselves confused and unsure about what to focus on and study, in order to pursue a career after graduation. I knew i wanted to do something within the arts but i did not know exactly what i wanted to focus on. So each semester i took different courses and electives in various majors to get a diverse background and taste for what i would really love to do. In this process i always thought " What if i never find something I'm good at?" I began feeling like i had so much experience in various areas, and didn't have one thing i was particularly good at. I took one video course that changed my life and perspective and led me to studying film and making films, which i love and am focusing on now and pursuing into my senior year. It is a process of discovery, finding who you are and what you want to do while in college. So if i had been told not to worry, i would have felt a lot better about my decisions and path academically.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to attend The New School because i knew it was a very challenging school to get accepted to, and i did. With technology rising, i knew Parsons provided adequate resources, equipment and the education i would need in order to pursue my passion and career in the arts. The school is also located in the heart of NYC and to study the arts in such an environment is a privilege and opportunity.

The students at my school are very ambitious. Being accepted into the New School is very challenging so the students are always working, and doing work in the libraries and computer labs that are often always open. There is a extremely diverse group of students at the New School, culturally, racial, religious etc... The New School is very open and accepting of all walks of life, and often provides programs and events that cater towards the various groups of students enrolled. Students are from the U.S and international. Many students keep up with the news and social events going on, as the school is located in the heart of NYC.

The academics purely depend on which division you are enrolled at in the New School. However all the courses provided are very flexible allowing you to take electives and liberal arts courses outside your major. For example my major is design technology and i've been able to take courses within the illustration and film major, and also other liberal arts courses such as online classes at the Eugene Lang school for Liberal Arts. (Another division at the New School) Most of the professors are currently in the working field and have lots of experience and are great with providing resources, guidance and even job opportunities. Usual classes meet once or twice a week and last for about two and a half hours. The class discussions are often very engaging and consist of students from various different majors and backgrounds which is exciting.

Within the division of Parsons School of Design at the New School, the students usually are artists, who vary in style and appearance. A general stereotype or perspective of the student body at Parsons is artsty, hippy and unique individuals. This classification isnt a negative stereotype as it is close to accurate, where everyone fits in their own skin and style at The New School.

Tippy

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

Definitely. Moving to New York City all the way from the other side of the world with no relatives here has pushed me to learn to be more independant

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

definitely not. It's New York City! There is so much to do here that does not involve alcohol.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

Getting used to the environment and how things work in the school

It is not that scary and nerve racking as you think it is :)

Why did you decide to go to this school?

It is rated one of the best design school in the world

The students in my school are very diverse. People come from different parts of the state, different countries. There is also a great variety of racial, religious, LGBT groups on campus. All of them get along very well with each other. There is no racial discrimination heard. Most students are dressed up very fashionable to class. Wearing high heels and pretty dresses. Guys are dressed up nicely and smart too.

Professors are quick in remember knows. My favorite class is Quantitative Reasoning class because my teacher is very friendly and also the way she teaches is very systematic and clear. Questions are very well explained. Class participants tend to be very common too. The most unique class I have took so far is Global Issues. Who knew there was so many global issues out there to consider. Yet I did not realize that till i took this class. The New School tends to geared its education towards getting a job. Every year there will be an internship fair helping those students whom want to look for a job.

Common stereotypes of my school is that most guys are gay. So if girls want to look for hot man or potential relationship, The New School is not the perfect school to be looking at

In your first year at Lang, you will unavoidably end up spending a lot of time in the Lang Courtyard, a tree and design adorned amphitheater that connects two of the main Greenwich Village buildings. It is open air with a glass skybridge about 20 ft. above the concrete. When you step into the space, you will instantly be hit with clouds of smoke. Don't worry, you will slowly get used to it. Make sure that you switch to Marlboro Reds, American Spirits or some strain of rollies. Smokes, black coffee, tattered books and keys to apartments in Brooklyn are the typical contents of a Lang student's bag. If there is a stereotype of students at my school, it is this. Hipsters.

Sara

We have a very diverse campus at The New School. Students at are school are very trendy and the only type of student who might feel out of place would be the preppy sorority type. Our school is filled up fashion-forward hipster type kids, of course there are different groups, but overall this is the general type of student we attract. Most students are from Los Angeles or other big cities. Students are extremely liberal and very active. We have often been known for protests at our school. Students do not tend to focus on the money they will earn, but rather, how they will change the world

Ji

I would warn anyone who is looking for a spirited school to not come to the New School. It is not your typical university where everyone is together cheering on for their sports teams. New School students are much more subtle with their spirit and keep it to themselves most of the time. Although there are different student activities going on from time to time, I've realized that not many people attend these. I think a reason for this is that students are too busy with their work and we live in the middle of Manhattan where so many other things are going on. Students usually go out into the city to explore and to experience the world, rather than attending student activities. However, in Parsons the most popular student organization would be the Fusion Fashion Show which happens annually. This is when Parsons students have the most pride. It is a fashion show that has a competition aspect to it between the Fashion Institute of Technology students. Students dedicate their semester in creating and designing their own garments and show that rest of New York City and the school of what their capable of and also their unbelievable creativity. I think that rather than drinking with other students, a lot people become closer and build friendships working together on projects in the studio and in class. Because we are all struggling in excelling and working on same projects together, we can share a lot of experiences and even complaints while working together. It's a little less overwhelming when you know someone else is going through the same thing.

The students at The New School are generally all very driven students. They are passionate about what they are studying and as the university is a specialized and focused school, students especially in Parsons have a clear vision of what they want for there future. Although many know what they are passionate about, they still spread their positive learning energy to others and are open to other creative options. The professors have taught me a ton here, but the peers that I study with have taught me even more.

Avantika

I love my school! I enjoy my classes and the fact that most of the professors are professionals of the fields they teach in makes class even more interesting. I like the atmosphere and the part of the city our school is located in. On the other hand, I can also identify many people who may not like the school. The city can be an overwhelming place and so may not be right for everyone, but it definitely is for me!

The RA's coordinate lots of events and that is how most people meet. There is so much to in the city. There are many places to eat, and visit, that it's almost difficult to get bored. Over the weekend I went to SoHo with friends and we went to Lombardi's which is supposed to be the best pizza restauraunt in NYC. There are so many things to do in the city, it's incredible.

Our school is extremely diverse. There are students here form all around the world, and from all different backgrounds. This results in a very tolerant and accpeting student body. There is no discrimination which makes for a very comfortable atmosphere. People are extremely unique so anything goes in terms of dressing. It's extremely nice to not be judged on basis.

Our class sizes don't go above 25 unless it's a lecture, and all lectures have smaller recitation classes. Classes are very felxible in that everyone is encouraged to participate and share their own opinion. I like this because I gain the knowledge of 25 brains, rather than just 1. I am majoring in Design and Management, which will earn me a business degree. The program at my school, however, allows me to learn about business and how it pertains the fashion world. I also get to take design classes. All the facilities at the school are up to date and impressive. We are also required to do an internship which I think is really good becasue it opens up many door and provides us with more opportunities outside the classroom.

Our school is often portrayed as having many "hipsters" and "artsy" people. The truth is, while there are many people who would be considered "hipsters" and "artsy", there are average people from small towns as well.

The New School administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.