Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Dawson

The best thing about UTK is the activites. I love being involved in my sorority and having the friends I do from it. I think the school is big, but through it I was able to make many friends. On campus I spend most of my time in the dorms or the library studying. Our school has a TON of pride and I really like that about it. My biggest complaint it parking. It gets ridiculous considering I paid around $300 for my pass. The one experience I will always remember is being in my sorority.

I have not had much experience with racial or religious groups on campus but they are definitely a big part of many students experience. I dont think any student would feel out of place. Most students are from TN but there are many that I come across that are from random places. I think there is a large range of financial background, but it is more on the lower side of the scale.

Academics at UT are very tough. I am in honors so in some of my classes my teachers know my name, but in others I am just another student. My favorite class is my psychology classes and my least are my honors classes. I take them to be in honors yet they all bring my GPA down. I am pre med so the students are competitive. I never see profesors out of class but hours are always offered. Some of the requirements are okay, but others are a bit much. Overall I think it is pretty good.

As I said before, sorority is probably the biggest groups (and frats). There are also many clubs and intermurals. I met most of my closest friends through my sorority. If I am up at 2am I am normally studying or watching tv. People party quite about. Most people just go out on the weekends with their friends. I am not even sure what one may do on at Saturday night without drinking, unless its studying. Off campus I normally just go to eat.

Sororities and Fraternaties students party alot, the pre med and engineer students are very smart...

Considering that I only applied to UTK because my parents made me as a back up, it has completely fufilled my expectations. I applied/ got into both Sewanee and Rhodes which are really small luxurious private schools and then got into UTK. I ultimately chose to go to UTK because of the lottery scholarship and I wasn't thrilled to go here at all. I ended up liking it a lot and making really amazing and smart friends. I think I am much better off going to a bigger school and football season is something I really look forward too. The Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Program (my major) is one of the best in all of the United States so I'm really fortunate to be surrounded by the scientists who I read about in my textbooks. There's also so many undergraduate research opportunities on campus, especially for biology students. I'm currently working in a reptile ethology lab so I get to feed snakes for 2 credits. The biggest complaint on campus is that while the admission requirements have gotten higher, the recruitment of teachers have not gotten better. This is mostly true for general education requirements.

I don't think any student would feel out of place at UTK. I think students are politically aware, there are clubs called UT Democrats and UT Republicans. Students usually wear very comfortable clothes to class. I'm usually found in a t-shirt and jeans. I usually do not even wear makeup to class. All type of financial backgrounds are found at UT because so many people are able to go to college now because of the Hope Scholarship. Some people don't have cars on campus, while others are driving their Mercedes or BMW.

Delta Zeta is the sorority that I'm involved with. I came to UTK with no other girls from my high school. Although some girls might be worried about the cost of a sorority, it is so worth it! My closest friends (and future bridesmaids--whenever I find a man) are in Delta Zeta and I cannot imagine my life with out it. It has enabled me to be so much more outgoing and find a group of people to show off my leadership skills to. I was the House and Suite Chairman from 2006-2007 and I was just recently one of the lead actors for the annual skit show called Carnicus just a week ago. I could not image myself acting infront of 800 people before joining Delta Zeta. Joining any sort of sorority is a good move for any girl wanting an amazing group of friends.

Some of the stererotypes of UTK students include the fact that we are all really southern and hick as well as imcompentent. Most of the time that is not true, and there's a lot of people that come from northern states that attend here. A stereotype that I fell for when trying to decide if I wanted to attend UTK was that it was a school for "stupid people." In fact, the average ACT score for freshmen is a 26. The "Big Orange Screw" is another stereotype of people attending UTK.

At UTK, we don't have sorority houses and so I live on the sorority floor in a dorm designated for sorority girls. Usually everyone leaves their door open and I'm rarely in my own room. We have community bathrooms, but I actually like them. I met my closests friends through my sorority and they live on the same hall as me. Obviously, for me, sororities have a big impact on my life. I'm very involved in mine. However, I don't feel like fraternities have that much of an importance to me. I don't have to go to Frat Row to feel socially accepted. UTK use to be one of the Top 10 party schools, but the police have really cracked down and so open partying is not that popular. There is also a smoking ban in Tennessee that has changed a lot of the bars to 21+. This may be a disappointment to some of the Freshmen, but its really not that big of a deal. Drinking is pretty popular, as it is on any campus, but there are always many other types of social activities that don't involve drinking. People can go to the "strip" to dance or go out to eat and there are a lot of movie theaters in Knoxville. Being 21 myself, I am able to go out wherever I want, but its definitely not a necessity every weekend. The most popular day for "going out" is Thursday.

I think the academics at UTK are very competitve. I came into college having a 3.96 GPA from high school and so grades and classes are very important to me. Some classes are really amazing while other ones you just have to trudge through. The best classes I've taken are in my major (Ecology and Evolutionary Biology) but they are usually few and far between because the lack of professors. Professors know my name if it is a small class. My first biology class I had contained over 500 kids in one auditorium. If that is the case, a TA is assigned you and thats have you have an edge in the class.

Some of them are. I think the "Big Orange Screw" is the most accurate. For example, I am completely done with my major and I still have a whole year of general education requirements left to complete. The freshmen 15 is also an accurate stereotype, but I think that is true for any college.

Best things at UT is everything. The only thing i would change is the location of some of the classes, really far to walk. Its for sure a college town and i love it. Theres alot of school pride because we are the best

Most student wear causal clothes such as shorts and tshirts to class. Most UTK students are from Knoxville or Memphis

That its a bunch of rednecks and all we do is party

No we are not rednecks but yes we do party. alot.

Yes i know teachers by name. My favorite class was psychology for sure it was really interesting. Least favorite was Math 119, terrible teacher and class in general. UTKs academic requirements are difficult but needed.

I think that Greek life is amazing. There is always something to do and its always so much fun. People party usually both nights of the weekends and maybe 2 nights during the week.

UTK is very large, but i like it that way. Usually people think of it as a very southern school and they are interested that I attend here. I spend most of my time in the library and my dorm. UTK's administration needs a lot of work. Pay wages is the biggest controversy. There is alot of school pride...everyone loves the vols. We are very spirited college students. Many complaints are about the T link system. I will always remember sorority recruitment.

The student body is very diverse. You can find any type of person. Most UTK students are from Nashville, Cookville, and Knoxville areas. Most are middle class and not very wealthy. Most students are active with their religious affiliations and active in politics, and most have full time jobs.

We are trash, we are southern hicks, we are dirty, it's too easy to get into

I'm involved in Delta Zeta Sorority on campus and orange pride. I love meeting new people. Being in a sorority brings you closer to so many more people on campus and it also opens up the dating scene. However they are not necessary to have fun at UTK.

Most professors I have had do know my name. My favorite class was political science. My least favorite was linguistics 200. Students study often but not in long intervals of time. People usually don't go to class.

Knoxville is a dirty city, but the students are not dirty. It is getting harder and harder to get into UTK every year.

Holly

some campuses are towns built around a college but knoxville is a college built within a city. School pride is something we don't lack. In a class of 25 only one person had never been to a football game.

Most students wear a T-Shirt and jeans. the students are mainly from the east coast, but all over the eastern region. Someone who is extremely liberal might have a few issues with the overall student body. however, they still probably would be able to find a place to fit in since the college is large. Someone who doesn't like to get involved and is quiet may also have a difficult time.

Large Greek System, predominantly white, not very smart, country- wears cowboy hats, boots, and belt buckles everywhere

The education is geared towards getting a job. the professors for the most part have outside expereince in the field they are teaching, so they give lots of advice. They also tell personal experience stories to give us a feel of the rigors of the job

Greek. The greeks hold probably 60% of the leadership positions of=n campus. People party Wednesday through Saturday, so get ready to look cute four nights in a row.

stacy

I think UTK is the perfect size for a university. It has a lot of students but is concise enough where you always see a familiar face. Students often complain about the parking situation on campus. It's true. The University of Tennessee issues out far more parking passes than it has parking spaces. Therefore, you parking pass becomes more of a hunting permit. However, despite minor complaints, no one has more pride than a Vol Fan. Big Orange spirit runs rampant and it can't be beat.

That we're all republican conservatives.

Academics at UTK are steadily improving. The university is getting better professors and recruiting better students. However, academics is sometimes shadowed by athletics. More money should be focused on teacher salaries and educational resources than building a third practice gym for the basketball players.

Alex

I wish that the administration would care more about current students then incoming freshmen. As soon as we become sophmores, the adminstration seems to lose interest in us. Also, I wish the university would spend more time on beautification of the campus. We have some very attractive buildings, but the need to spend more time on making the grounds look better. The administration only cares about money. If there are not making money, then they dont care.

Well, students who are liberal in the way that they think would feel left out. We all tend to wear the same exact thing. The majority of students seem to be very wealthy.

That we are all country red-necks

The proffesors here are very good. There are few that dont seem to care about students, but the majority seem to care. I do not agree with the new grading scale involving A-,B- etc... because the administration is trying to make us into a type of school that we are not. There are alot of students who do study, but there are also alot that dont. The library here on campus is more of a social gathering place then a library.

No, there are not, that are a great number of students who were not born in south enrolled at UT

Sports is the number one area on campus. I have no compliants because Tennessee is a football school, and everyone who comes here knows that, so when people complain about football, Its confusing because they had to have known that UT is a football school

chelsea

UTK is definitely a college town but I think the university is just the right size. There is a lot of school pride which is nice to see and be proud of. There is too much crime though which seriously needs to be changed.

Most students wear confortable clothes to class. Usually just a t-shirt, pants, and comfotable shoes. I dont think different types of students interact very much which is a problem and creates segregation.

yes, we party a good amount and the student body really does stick to their own "groups"

UT is geared towards getting a job. Some professors know my name, others not. Some professors here do not even speak very good English which I think especially in certain classes is necessary more than others. If you can't understand your professor how are you supposed to learn anything? We need to be able to understand our professors which should be reconsidered by the administration.

I'm involved with my sorority, Pi Beta Phi and there are a lot of students involved in the greek communtiy. Others and in addition, students are involved in intramurals and other organizations such as clubs.

we party a lot and the students are segregated

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.