Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Ash

The campus is beautiful, the professors are helpful, and the atmosphere of the school is great.

The student body is not as diverse as one would think but students are friendly and make the college experience great.

Being involved in activities at UTK help fuel your social life. I am Greek and thus I feel like the only way to be involved and have a social life is to be Greek. However, this is not the case. Less than 20% of our campus is Greek but I couldn't image being anything but Greek.

The academics at UTK are challenging and very informative.

The stereotype is accurate for some but as a whole I believe our campus is not like that.

The students at UTK do not study and party.

Kris

The best thing about the University of Tennessee, is that there is always an event, activity, social, or academic group that you can get involved in. If you want to learn something new, there will definitely be an avenue here at UTK for you to pursue that.

In my opinion, the student body environment is a very relaxed and accepting one. While a few students dress up to go to class, the mass majority of students go in shorts, jeans, and tshirts. This makes for a warm, relaxed environment that does not seem so straight-laced.

I believe that there is a stereotype that UTK students are not challenged and educated well at the University of Tennessee. I also feel that people believe that UTK is not very diversified.

I am involved with Pi Beta Pi, one of the greek sororities with the Panhellenic council at UTK. It has been a great way to get involved within the community, meet new people, and stay active in UTK's campus life.

No, I believe that there are many people that work hard here and school, and you will find people that do not work as hard at any college. I feel that although there needs to be more improvement here at UTK, there is adequate diversity. Coming from an all girls private school, I have met many people and been and many diverse situations that have broadened my horizons and enlightened me which will ultimately help me become a better person.

In my opinion, the academic challenges vary from class to class. Although classes such as English 101, 102, are required classes for incoming freshman, I do not feel as if they challenge me intellectually as a student. I feel that some students in other English 101, 102 classes can get a very different academic experience from the one I receive only because of what their graduate student teacher feels like teaching them. I do not like that. I often feel like class time is wasted, and that there is no intellectual stimulation. For example, I greatly enjoyed my English 101 class. The teacher, who was a graduate student, was very enthusiastic and sincere about helping us learn more through our English 101 class. We had stimulating and thought provoking class discussions, and I highly looked forward to that class because my mind was being stretched and worked, and I actually learned. However, second semester rolls around, and I am in English 102. My teacher is also a graduate student, but her style is completely different than my first semester teacher. She has a more laissez-faire attitude, almost seeming indifferent to her students actually learning much during each class. English 102, which I assumed would be "more challenging" than English 101 brings me back to my roots of sixth and seventh grade going over MLA format and basic english principals which I have been taught since I was fourteen years old. I would assume by now as a freshman in college we would be getting to more challenging and thought provoking assignments in english class. However, these are just two specific experiences that I have had with two classes at UTK. My classes in Math, Foreign Language, and Science have proved to be challenging, and although at times I might complain of that, when it ultimately comes down to it, I do want to be challenged as a student.

Jaimee

I believe that this school can seem too large for some people, but it's all about who you are and what you get involved with. If you are involved in a group, like a sorority, you establish friends and the school doesn't seem so large. I believe that it does seem like a college town because the businesses Cumberland Ave. are designed more for college age students. The biggest controversy right now on campus is probably the lack of lighting in the Fort Sanders area because there has been an increase in crime over the past few months. When I tell people I live in the Fort they cringe because they know it's not safe.

I feel that anyone who came to UT would be able to find a place where they fit in. There really isnt anyone that would feel out of place as long as they are open-minded and willing to find a place where they fit in. I feel that our campus is very diverse. Most students wear t-shirts and jeans to class. If you walk in to an 8:00 am lecture you will even see sweat pants, flip flops, etc. It's very casual.

That we all like to drink an obscene amount of alcohol and that we only care about football.

Most professors on campus will not get to know you or your name if you simply show up to lecture and don't engage in the course. If you don't feel comfortable speaking up in class, going to the professor's office hours will help them get to know you. This can also help if your border in a class. If the professor gets to know you, they're more apt to bump your grade up because you've shown that you care about their class. Students can be seen in the library at all times of the day or night. My roommate is in architecture and there are cots and showers in that building specifically for them since they pull all nighters regularly. One problem that I have with the curriculum is for transfer students because there are many classes that do not transfer at all from other schools. I also think that with as athletically involved as our school is that we should offer an undergraduate degree in athletic training.

Maybe for some people but I wouldn't say the majority only parties and attends football games. Others are able to be supportive of our sports as well as get good grades.

A lot of our students seem to be involved with the Greek community. I joined the Greek society my sophomore year because I was an athlete my freshman year, and I believe I had a great experience with both. I lived in the dorms both my freshman and sophomore year and in some dorms they do leave their doors wide open. We would roam the halls and introduce ourselves to different girls on our floor. My sophomore year, however, it was a dorm for both boys and girls so that may be the reason we never kept our door open.

Brittney

UTK is AWESOME! It is on the large side, but it is a perfect size for me. There is always something going on no matter where you are. There is the strip, which has the bars, clubs, and some great restaurants. There is also market square which is close to campus that has some shopping and more food. Football games are huge and so exciting! GO VOLS! There is a lot of school pride. I coulc not imagine myself anywhere else.

Unfortunatly, I do not think that UTK is very diverse in race, religion, and socioeconomic status. I think that most students are middle to upper class white males and females. Most students that I know are from Tennessee or Virginia, although i have met people from all over the U.S.

We are all party preppy students.

Sororities and Fraternities are big on UTK's campus. I live on the Sorority floor in a dorm and the doors are always open because we all know each other. When i was a freshman the people in the dorms did not know each other very well. Although some of my best friends now are my random roomate from last year and my neighbors. Parties are ALWAYS going on on and off campus. There are very few weekends when options are limited. In those cases I usually just go and hang out at friends apartments. Partying gets old quick.

Academics at UTK are good. Students have oppurtunities to get to know the professors even though classes can be big. For the most part the professors are great! Attendence is taken seriously by mist teachers, and students grades tend to show it. I have been lucky to get a few really good professors. Some are not very helpful but you get lucky sometimes. : )

Parker

The best thing about UTK is football season the school is just the right size and does not need to increase enrollment as proposed by the administration. When I tell people I go to UT they say oh "football and sundresses" I spend most of my time on campus either in the library or the fraternity house. There is an enormous ammount of school pride. The most frequent student complaint is about parking and the dry campus policy.

The kind of student that would feel out of place at UTK is an LGBT student. What students wear to class depends on the time of day in the morning its not un common to see most kids wearing sweats and pajamas however as the day wears on kids clean up and start to wear polos and more preppy attire.

That we party hard, Love football

The most popular organizations to be part of fraternitys and sororitys as well as the Orange Nation and College Republicans/ Democrats. I love all of the groups I particpate in. In the dorms students leave there doors locked at almost all times. Athletic events are hugely popular as well as big name guest speakers such as Bob Woodward. Theater is not that popular. THe dating scene is fun, you can almost always meet somebody cool on the strip. I met my closest friends through my fraternity. If I'm awake at 2 AM on a tuesday I am studying. Every year the the biggest events are football games, homecoming, all sing, and carnicus. People party every friday and saturday night for sure. Also sometimes people participate in social events such as Tuesday Night Throwdowns, Whiskey Wendsdays, and Thirsty Thursdays. The greek scene is very important almost every major party is organized by a fraternity. Last weekend I went to bar both nights. If I'm not drinking on a saturday night I'm sick.

Academics at UTK are satisfactory classes that need to be smaller such as english are and the big classes are the kind it dosent matter how many people are in it such as history of rock. Students do have intellectual conversations outside of class especially about politics. I fell that the curriculam is geared towards getting a job as it should be.

Laura

The best thing about UT is that it feels like a community even though it's so big. One thing I would change is definitely the parking! I think UTK's size is just right. Most people are impressed to hear that I'm a UT student. When on campus, I spend most of my time on the Hill or in the UC. Knoxville is definitely a college town. UTK's administration does a good job of keeping the school going. On campus, one of the main things is safety; the bomb threat a couple of months ago definitely caused chaos. School pride is HUGE at UT. We wouldn't be UT without it!

Diversity is a big thing at UT. We're all different, and that's what makes us UT. I think a student who feels out of place is one who has no desire to be social. Most students just wear whatever to class. It's not really a fashion show! It seems most students come from rich backgrounds, and most are politically active, predominantly left. Most students are from around Knoxville.

I wouldn't change the fact that I'm in a sorority for anything. Pi Beta Phi has brought so much happiness to my life, and every connection I have on campus is because of my Greek background. The networking options it gives you is enormous, and how much fun you have is always good. It's one of the best decisions I ever made.

I believe some stereotypes are that UTK is a party school and that all of our students are drinkers. Also, there's the stereotype of that our parents pay for everything,.

Greek life is huge on campus. I'm in Pi Beta Phi, a sorority on campus. I love it! In most dorms, students don't leave the doors open, maybe unlocked though. Athletic events are key! My closest friends I met in my sorority, but some of them are old friends from back in the day at home. If I was awake at 2 AM on a Tuesday, I'd be studying! At UT, Greeks are important; they hold a lot of offices and are really involved. Thus, they have a lot of say in what goes on around campus. Weekends are full of partying and good times. I love eating off-campus and shopping!

To an extent, I think so. We do party a lot at UTK, but we also know how to study, too!

Most of my professors are good about knowing my name. I really enjoy psychology; after all, it is my major. My least favorite class is chemistry! At UT, we study all the time. The library is always packed. Class participation is a must. As a student, I definitely have intellectual conversations outside of class. UT's academic requirements are sometimes hard to deal with, but I think for the most part it helps us become more well-rounded.

Kyle

Utk is a great school with a lot of things to do and tons of things to get involved in. The school is a great size, and people are usually impressed by the fact that i go here. Utk is its own town within knoxville.

UTK's Student body is the most diverse group of people i have ever seen, and that is what makes it so great.

Academics are great at Ut. I study several nights a week, but feel like i have a pretty good relationship with my teachers.

Greek Life is pretty popular on campus, and athletic events make Ut.

Tyler

People that don't like football would feel out of place. Most students are from Knoxville and memphis.

Football games are amazing. People party every night. If i'm not drinking on a saturday night I'm either sick or in jail.

We love football and get wasted.

katy

I think that utk is a pretty good size, not too small, not too big. But one thing that suprised me is that knoxville is very much a university town. There are many historical aspects surrounding knoxville and nature cites. But other than the university, there is not much going on in "the social scene" such as bands coming to knoxville or night out spots. But maybe that is a good thing, because when football season comes knoxville is a crowded place. There is a lot of school spirit when it comes to athletics. In my opinion the only bad part about the campus is that it is dirty. There are many groups that try to get involved to make the campus "green" and cleaner, but the fact of the matter is, it is just a dirty place. vomit stained sidewalks and beer cans, underwear, and paper are some of the most common things. I would like to see change, but until people stop being lazy, it will be dirty.

The dress for class is casual. For the girls, typically a greek t-shirt, or a shirt that shows your status, along with nike running shorts, with either chacos or rainbows. for the winter all you have to do is slip some leggings on under your shorts and add uggs. and all year round you can wear your ray ban sunglasses and croakies. I am able to give such an exact discreption because almost EVERYONE wears this. for the boys: most boys wear a polo, or a t-shirt (greek or patagonia, or I ran 4 marathons in one day) along with jeans or polo pants, typically orange or any other light color and flip flops along with ray ban sunglasses and croakies and a baseball hat.

If i am awake on at 2am on a tuesday night I am either writing a paper or at a party/mixer. Many people involved in the greek chapters party on week nights becuase that is when the mixers and date parties are, and there is always one going on. Many people just like to go to the library and talk or do whatever at 2am. some people sleep all day and do homeowrk all night. But 2am on a tuesday night is prime time for most people on campus.

Not really. Many people come to this school to fulfill the sterotype, but do not make it back the second year. But with 26000 students one is able to find the sterotype or avoid it.

In my first year so far the professors usually know my name, but I also make an effort to talk to the prof and keep in contact with them. Class participation is not a big thing. In most of my classes no one will speak. I try to participate, but there is only so much one student can do. It has also been my experience to notice how dumb ut students are. I know a lot of people might be "book" smart and have great scholorships but a lot of people do not know what is going on in the world around them. Not a lot of people that I hang around have intellectual conversations outside of class. conversation usually consists of food, the weekend, someone's hometown, blah blah blah.

obsessed with football, absorbed with being in a frat or sorority, party animals.

Mallory

There is a LOT of school pride which makes students really excited to go here. The people in charge keep cutting budgets though and they are making students who love the school hate it because less teachers mean less classes which means people get stuck here until the end of time.

I think there's a wide gap between races on campus. It's really strange to see it so divided and I'm really unsure of the cause. I'm so happy that you can pretty much wear what you want to class. If you want to dress up: have at it but t-shirt and jeans is cool too.

Sororities and fraternities are important because they sponsor alot of on campus social events and contain most of the SGA candidates. They're not everything though.

Pretty decent until you get into the science department. They hire researchers to get grants but who either suck at or are uninterested in teaching. Political Science and Russian department are exceptional and these departments are the most helpful with outside class help.

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.