Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Bethany

I love UT. I like it being a big school and would not like a small one. People are usually somewhat impressed when I tell them I go to UT because it's a big SEC school. I live off campus so when I am there I usually spend my time either in class, the library or the UC. I haven't had much interaction with the main administration at UT, but instead I've dealt with the College of Business Admin. They are very accomodating to work with and it's been a good experience. And if I could change something about UT, I'd definently add more student parking. No matter what anyone says, there is simply not enough.

I really don't interact with other groups of people on campus. I don't think anyone would feel out of place at UT b/c there seems to be a group for everyone. I usually see people in t-shirts and/or the polo/preppy look. I would say most students are from Tennessee, but there's definently alot from other places.

I was told to type "Delta Zeta" in this caption.

I don't have much interactiong with my professors outside of class. That is my own choice, their help is there if I need it. I would say students are competitive and study alot. I feel like academic requirements are fair. I major in Marketing and Finance and I have had a great experience with the business department. From talking to people in other majors, I think the business college is one of the most helpful and interactive with its students.

I would say the most popular groups on campus are Greek organizations and athletes. It seems like everyone I meet is involved in some form of these two organizations. No one left their doors open in South Carrick when I lived there. However on my sorority floor in Greve we always did. Athletic events are probably the most popular events on campus. As far as the "dating scene" goes, I've come to the conclusion that college guys suck so I've pretty much given up on dating in college. I met my closest friends through my sorority and classes. If I am actually still awake at 2am, it would be because I am cramming for an exam. I would also say people party pretty regularly at UT. Last weekend I went to a few parties and bars on the strip. As far as other activities go, Knoxville has things like movies, restuarants, shopping, etc.

People I know at places like Vanderbilt see us as rednecks.

Andy

UT is a great school and I have really enjoyed all my time here. I have met many great people. One thing I like about UT is there is ALWAYS something to do. No matter what you want to get involved in, you can find it here. This applys to extracurricular activities as well as classes. If you come here and are not sure what you wanna do, they have classes for just about every catigory you can think of. This leads me to another topic... advising. It is known as the "big orange screw". I was originally a nursing student, I did not get in when I applied for nursing school. No one told me if I wanted to apply to other schools that every school requires different prerequisites. So when I thought about transferring, it was going to set me back another semster to year depending on the school I chose. I know that many people get frustrated with our advising. You go to one person they may tell you one thing and your graduating on time, then you go to someone else, and you are graduateing a semester late. The best thing is to look at everythign yourself and know what you are talking about when you talk to your advisor. Knoxville as a whole is a nice place. It has a lot to do and I would recommend it to anyone.

This is a very diverse school in all aspects, religion, race, econimical, etc. There are all kinds of people here. Anyone can find a group of people they like. There are groups and orginizations for every single person. If you come here and don't meet anyone you like, that is because you have not tried. That are people here for everyone. Class here is laid back as far as dress goes. you can dress up if you want, but with the hills you have to climb, you are just worried about your feet being comfortable. Heels are not an option, and if you wear them, eveything thinks your crazy because we know your feet are killing you. If you come to class in your pjs that is ok, or if you wanna look cute, that is fine too.

UT is great! It is worth coming and taking a look at. Don't let all the conrete scare you (its not the prettiest campus). They are slowly redoing the campus to make it more green. If you want a school that will give you great opportunities and a great college experience, UT is the place! Delta Zeta

I am involved in a Sorority, Delta Zeta, and I love it. i would reccomend at least looking into the greek life. It is a great way to meet people and gives you a way to be involved on campus. Football is a huge deal here and the games are ALL day events. Also basketball is a big deal. Bruce Pearl is amazing!! If you like sporting events, this is a great school for you.

I just talked about some of this, but the down fall with a big school is big classes. I guess this is not always a down fall, but it can hurt some people. Usually big lecture classes have time where you meet in smaller groups with TA's so you can get more personal attention. It is usually a good idea to meet your professor and talk to them when you are having problems in the class. The smaller classes I have, my teachers do know my name. once you get into your major your classes are usually smaller. And of course I have teachers that do not know my name, but that has to do with the specific teacher. Some just don't care to know names. That happens everywhere, not just at big schools. UT also has a lot of resources for helping you find a job when you get out of school. They have a lot of resoucrces to help you out, you just have to make the effort of using them.

There are the Frat boys and the sorority girls. They all dress the same.

courtney

UT is by far the most beautiful campus I've ever been on. Football season is the best part of the year. It's a tradition that everyone should experience. Since it's a public school, the classes are fairly large, but the teachers are still good about offering help if you decide to take advantage of it. Most of the time, when I tell people I go to UT, I get the "oh wow" reaction because from my hometown, it's about 50-50 on how many people who graduate go to college. And of those who do go to college, they mostly stay within an hour of my hometown. It's a real impressive reaction that I get. Most of my time on campus is spent in classes, or in the dorm. The library is a popular place, but I never can seem to get any work done. There's just too much going on there. UT is definately a college town. In the summer, Cumberland Ave. is deserted. UT's administration has its ups and downs. I've had some of the best professors here and learned alot from them, and then I've had a few who shouldnt even be allowed to teach at the high school level. Other bad aspects are...PARKING SUCKS. Its like a 1:3 ratio and UTPD loves to write tickets. No matter where you go on campus, you walk uphill. Which is hard to get used to at first but I've heard people say before that "tennessee girls have the best legs." So it can be a good thing. Some major classes are only offered like once a semester so that's like 200 students who can take that class when 1000 need to, which makes scheduling sort of hard. Other than those though, I love UT. Anyone who goes here develops a strong sense of pride. Rocky Top is annoying to everyone but a UT student and when it comes on, you can proudly say I'm a UT student...GO VOLS!

Students come in all possible forms, cultures, races, and economic backgrounds. No matter what your interest, there is probably a club or activity to fit you and many others who have the same interests. The only students that would feel out of place are those that have no interest in making new friends or accepting other people as individuals. Most students, when going to class, wear sweats, slouchy clothes, etc. There are the select few girls who you can tell are freshman in their first semester who dress up and wear make up and such to class. After that though, it's roll out of bed and into class. Many different types of students interact, such as Panhellenic Council. It's made up of 13 sororities and each is different, yet all work together at philanthropy events and other greek sponsored events. Most students I've found are from Tennessee...alot from Nashville, Memphis, and Chattanooga, but alot of out-of-staters too. Most people DO have a strong financial background, just because UT is a more expensive school and extremely high grades/ ACT scores are required to obtain full academic scholarships.

Rich, preppy, materialistic people who live off their parents money and do nothing but party it away at UT

Greek life is a major organization on campus. I'm involved in the Greek system and I feel like it really pushes you to be more involved on campus than you would be if you weren't to be in the Greek community. Most students in dorms leave their doors open. It's a sense of community and you really become close to the people on your hall as the year goes on. Athletics RULE at UT. Especially football season. Basketball is coming back though. Game Day Saturdays are a must for UT students. Everyone wakes up and puts on their best orange attire and goes to cheer on the VOLS! In my opinion, that would be the biggest tradition to UT. I met my best friends in my sorority. I didnt know anyone when I came to UT and joining a sorority really got me involved and let me meet my future bridesmaides. There are lots of things to do off campus....shopping, eating, boating on the river, parks nearby, golf courses.

Classes are large, but professors are still helpful, but YOU must make the effort to go to them. They have alot of students so they cant come to you but every professor that has been good, has been extremely helpful. I've had a few professors that are wonderful and I've learned from and some are just awful, which I guess is to be found at every school. UT is becoming more and more competitive and so students who attend UT are looked at better than some other schools. UT has a hard curriculum, and students who graduate from here have increased chances of getting into grad school because grad schools know that those students have completed the challenging classes that UT has required of them.

for the majority, no. But I know a few who fit the description

Dawson

The best thing about UTK is the activites. I love being involved in my sorority and having the friends I do from it. I think the school is big, but through it I was able to make many friends. On campus I spend most of my time in the dorms or the library studying. Our school has a TON of pride and I really like that about it. My biggest complaint it parking. It gets ridiculous considering I paid around $300 for my pass. The one experience I will always remember is being in my sorority.

I have not had much experience with racial or religious groups on campus but they are definitely a big part of many students experience. I dont think any student would feel out of place. Most students are from TN but there are many that I come across that are from random places. I think there is a large range of financial background, but it is more on the lower side of the scale.

Academics at UT are very tough. I am in honors so in some of my classes my teachers know my name, but in others I am just another student. My favorite class is my psychology classes and my least are my honors classes. I take them to be in honors yet they all bring my GPA down. I am pre med so the students are competitive. I never see profesors out of class but hours are always offered. Some of the requirements are okay, but others are a bit much. Overall I think it is pretty good.

As I said before, sorority is probably the biggest groups (and frats). There are also many clubs and intermurals. I met most of my closest friends through my sorority. If I am up at 2am I am normally studying or watching tv. People party quite about. Most people just go out on the weekends with their friends. I am not even sure what one may do on at Saturday night without drinking, unless its studying. Off campus I normally just go to eat.

Sororities and Fraternaties students party alot, the pre med and engineer students are very smart...

Considering that I only applied to UTK because my parents made me as a back up, it has completely fufilled my expectations. I applied/ got into both Sewanee and Rhodes which are really small luxurious private schools and then got into UTK. I ultimately chose to go to UTK because of the lottery scholarship and I wasn't thrilled to go here at all. I ended up liking it a lot and making really amazing and smart friends. I think I am much better off going to a bigger school and football season is something I really look forward too. The Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Program (my major) is one of the best in all of the United States so I'm really fortunate to be surrounded by the scientists who I read about in my textbooks. There's also so many undergraduate research opportunities on campus, especially for biology students. I'm currently working in a reptile ethology lab so I get to feed snakes for 2 credits. The biggest complaint on campus is that while the admission requirements have gotten higher, the recruitment of teachers have not gotten better. This is mostly true for general education requirements.

I don't think any student would feel out of place at UTK. I think students are politically aware, there are clubs called UT Democrats and UT Republicans. Students usually wear very comfortable clothes to class. I'm usually found in a t-shirt and jeans. I usually do not even wear makeup to class. All type of financial backgrounds are found at UT because so many people are able to go to college now because of the Hope Scholarship. Some people don't have cars on campus, while others are driving their Mercedes or BMW.

Delta Zeta is the sorority that I'm involved with. I came to UTK with no other girls from my high school. Although some girls might be worried about the cost of a sorority, it is so worth it! My closest friends (and future bridesmaids--whenever I find a man) are in Delta Zeta and I cannot imagine my life with out it. It has enabled me to be so much more outgoing and find a group of people to show off my leadership skills to. I was the House and Suite Chairman from 2006-2007 and I was just recently one of the lead actors for the annual skit show called Carnicus just a week ago. I could not image myself acting infront of 800 people before joining Delta Zeta. Joining any sort of sorority is a good move for any girl wanting an amazing group of friends.

Some of the stererotypes of UTK students include the fact that we are all really southern and hick as well as imcompentent. Most of the time that is not true, and there's a lot of people that come from northern states that attend here. A stereotype that I fell for when trying to decide if I wanted to attend UTK was that it was a school for "stupid people." In fact, the average ACT score for freshmen is a 26. The "Big Orange Screw" is another stereotype of people attending UTK.

At UTK, we don't have sorority houses and so I live on the sorority floor in a dorm designated for sorority girls. Usually everyone leaves their door open and I'm rarely in my own room. We have community bathrooms, but I actually like them. I met my closests friends through my sorority and they live on the same hall as me. Obviously, for me, sororities have a big impact on my life. I'm very involved in mine. However, I don't feel like fraternities have that much of an importance to me. I don't have to go to Frat Row to feel socially accepted. UTK use to be one of the Top 10 party schools, but the police have really cracked down and so open partying is not that popular. There is also a smoking ban in Tennessee that has changed a lot of the bars to 21+. This may be a disappointment to some of the Freshmen, but its really not that big of a deal. Drinking is pretty popular, as it is on any campus, but there are always many other types of social activities that don't involve drinking. People can go to the "strip" to dance or go out to eat and there are a lot of movie theaters in Knoxville. Being 21 myself, I am able to go out wherever I want, but its definitely not a necessity every weekend. The most popular day for "going out" is Thursday.

I think the academics at UTK are very competitve. I came into college having a 3.96 GPA from high school and so grades and classes are very important to me. Some classes are really amazing while other ones you just have to trudge through. The best classes I've taken are in my major (Ecology and Evolutionary Biology) but they are usually few and far between because the lack of professors. Professors know my name if it is a small class. My first biology class I had contained over 500 kids in one auditorium. If that is the case, a TA is assigned you and thats have you have an edge in the class.

Some of them are. I think the "Big Orange Screw" is the most accurate. For example, I am completely done with my major and I still have a whole year of general education requirements left to complete. The freshmen 15 is also an accurate stereotype, but I think that is true for any college.

Best things at UT is everything. The only thing i would change is the location of some of the classes, really far to walk. Its for sure a college town and i love it. Theres alot of school pride because we are the best

Most student wear causal clothes such as shorts and tshirts to class. Most UTK students are from Knoxville or Memphis

That its a bunch of rednecks and all we do is party

No we are not rednecks but yes we do party. alot.

Yes i know teachers by name. My favorite class was psychology for sure it was really interesting. Least favorite was Math 119, terrible teacher and class in general. UTKs academic requirements are difficult but needed.

I think that Greek life is amazing. There is always something to do and its always so much fun. People party usually both nights of the weekends and maybe 2 nights during the week.

UTK is very large, but i like it that way. Usually people think of it as a very southern school and they are interested that I attend here. I spend most of my time in the library and my dorm. UTK's administration needs a lot of work. Pay wages is the biggest controversy. There is alot of school pride...everyone loves the vols. We are very spirited college students. Many complaints are about the T link system. I will always remember sorority recruitment.

The student body is very diverse. You can find any type of person. Most UTK students are from Nashville, Cookville, and Knoxville areas. Most are middle class and not very wealthy. Most students are active with their religious affiliations and active in politics, and most have full time jobs.

We are trash, we are southern hicks, we are dirty, it's too easy to get into

I'm involved in Delta Zeta Sorority on campus and orange pride. I love meeting new people. Being in a sorority brings you closer to so many more people on campus and it also opens up the dating scene. However they are not necessary to have fun at UTK.

Most professors I have had do know my name. My favorite class was political science. My least favorite was linguistics 200. Students study often but not in long intervals of time. People usually don't go to class.

Knoxville is a dirty city, but the students are not dirty. It is getting harder and harder to get into UTK every year.

Holly

some campuses are towns built around a college but knoxville is a college built within a city. School pride is something we don't lack. In a class of 25 only one person had never been to a football game.

Most students wear a T-Shirt and jeans. the students are mainly from the east coast, but all over the eastern region. Someone who is extremely liberal might have a few issues with the overall student body. however, they still probably would be able to find a place to fit in since the college is large. Someone who doesn't like to get involved and is quiet may also have a difficult time.

Large Greek System, predominantly white, not very smart, country- wears cowboy hats, boots, and belt buckles everywhere

The education is geared towards getting a job. the professors for the most part have outside expereince in the field they are teaching, so they give lots of advice. They also tell personal experience stories to give us a feel of the rigors of the job

Greek. The greeks hold probably 60% of the leadership positions of=n campus. People party Wednesday through Saturday, so get ready to look cute four nights in a row.

stacy

I think UTK is the perfect size for a university. It has a lot of students but is concise enough where you always see a familiar face. Students often complain about the parking situation on campus. It's true. The University of Tennessee issues out far more parking passes than it has parking spaces. Therefore, you parking pass becomes more of a hunting permit. However, despite minor complaints, no one has more pride than a Vol Fan. Big Orange spirit runs rampant and it can't be beat.

That we're all republican conservatives.

Academics at UTK are steadily improving. The university is getting better professors and recruiting better students. However, academics is sometimes shadowed by athletics. More money should be focused on teacher salaries and educational resources than building a third practice gym for the basketball players.

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.