Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Katie

Football and academica are amazing. I wish there was less concrete and more plant life. Its just the right size.

I feel UTK is very diverse with many different people. MAjority of people wear comfortable clothes to class.

That UTK is a huge school and you wont ever meet anyone, you'll just be a "number". thats not true!!! I have met more people that i would ever think!

Greek is big on campus, as well as some smaller clubs like SGA and ACE. Athletic events are the huge things to do on weekends.

I love the professors at UTK, alsmost everyone I have had will go out of there way to make sure you get the grade you want. All of my classes have a class participation grade and I am in the Business Department hoping to study in finance. All the people I have talked to in their, advisors,professors, etc. are excellent

alli

The best thing is the atmosphere all together. Lots of school pride, a big enough school to have a wide range of opportunities but yet somehow everyone you meet you probably have a friend in common with. People from my town like that I went away to a big school. It's not like a small private college you are completely free when you come up here, no curfews and limited dorm rules. Knoxville's a great college town, most everything you absolutely need is within walking distance. I rarely move my car. I think our administration as a whole has it's really strong points like campus safety. But some departments are just really a whole lot better run than others. Some colleges are also much better staffed I think.

I've been in religious groups on campus. It was nothing forced or strict. I really think UT is big enough that everyone can find their place and not feel out of place. Most students wear jeans or casual pants and a t-shirt. Hardly anyone really dresses up or tries to look nice for class. A lot of people wear tennishoes too I guess because of all the walking. Different students do interact I think. Probably starts in the class with group projects or an interest in the material. Most UT students are from Tennessee middle class probably. Many students are very politically active. Both parties are well represented I wouldnt say a huge majority is politically active. The only time I hear people talk about how much they'll earn one day is really in a joking way, even the the amount may be true.

i do think there is alot of pride in our school. But there's really almost as many people that don't party and be wild as the ones that do. The ones that don't just aren't making a scene whatever they are doing.

Greek life is really big but I think that if you aren't in it you probably don't notice it too bad. I'm in Delta Zeta, when I lived on the sorority floor we all left our doors open. In the freshman dorms though my hall didnt really leave the suite door open but we left the doors to our rooms. I know another hall that left their outside door open too though.

wild, lots of partying. proud of their school.

Especially once you get into the classes for your major, professors do start learning your name. Some teachers are nice enough to make the effort regardless. My favorite class has probably been my video classes in the journalism department. It is my major and probably one of the most challenging and time consuming but I really like all the hands on experience. Class participation by most teachers is very encouraged, some really require it more than others. Alot of the time students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. Many classes have great discussions that are just naturally brought outside of class time. I don't think students are really that competitive towards one another individually. Maybe competitive as far as having good grades or projects but not towards one another directly. Some professors I do spend time with outside of class in office hours or just if I see them around. Many of them like to know how students are doing and help them any way possible. However, several do not really care and probably won't even remember you. Once again, being in classes within my major has had a big impact on this. I think UTK's academic requirements are reasonable, but not compared to the advising. Many students I think end up being in school for five years of undergraduate simply because their advisors put them in useless classes or don't get them on track immediately. In my major, it is definitely towards getting a job, however many classes outside my major I don't really think so.

Dylan

Our school is very homey. That is the best work to describe it. Everyone talks to everyone and is welcoming to people of all groups. Although our campus consists of over 20,000 students, it does not feel that big. When I tell people I go to UTK, they say that the campus seems overwhelmingly large, which is definitely not true.

I feel like UTK is a very diverse campus, and you can find your niche somewhere. All of the students are very open to different kinds of people or people of different cultures or races.

I definitely do not think these stereotypes are accurate. Our university is a great school with a lot to offer. We don't think we're better than anyone, we just have pride in our university.

Greek like is definitely the most popular. I'm in a sorority, and I can't imagine not having joined it. I have met my closest friends who I live with, go to eat with, work with, and travel with. I also meet other people through these girls. Going greek or joining any other organization you are passionate about will bring you new and exciting ways to meet other people you wouldn't have had the chance to meet otherwise.

Most of my professors know my name, especially the classes that are in my major, which consist of my French class. These professors care about what's going on in my life, my academics, and enhancing my knowledge of the French language.

I didn't feel like there were any specific stereotypes associated with UTK students until I went to a conference this last weekend for orientation leaders across the southeastern states. The students at UT Chattanooga did not have good things to say about our campus or our students. They said that their school did not want to be associated with our campus, because our campus thought we were better than everyone else. None of the orientation leaders, who were supposed to be leaders on their campus, had great things to say about UTK.

Morgan

I love going to UT, and I am proud to tell people that I am a student here. I think UT is a respected college and I am glad I choose to come here. I think my favorite part of UT are the sports games. Because our school is so big and we have really good athletics, the students here get to go to football games in one of the biggest college stadiums. The only thing I worry about here is walking at night. Lately there have been so many crimes and robberies it gets pretty scary walking around at night. I think UT is trying to handle it the best they can and hopefully there will be a better system and not so many crimes will happen to UT students.

I think UT is a very diverse university and there is not really a stereotype about the people that come here. I think everyone just finds the people they want to hang out with and stay close to that. Its very laid back here and its pretty much anything goes.

I moved here my Junior year in high school and ever since I have heard that UT can be a party school.

In the Freshmen dorms, students are placed into suites and for the most part keep their doors shut. I became good friends with my suite mate my Freshmen year, but I could not tell you the names of the other girls who lived on my floor. Now that I live on the sorority dorm floor, our door is always open and people are coming and going all the time. I would defiantly recommend a girl rush to be in a sorority. I found a great group of friends and it got me involved in the university. If a girl does not want to do a sorority there are plenty of other things to get involved in such as, Orange Pride, SGA, and many other things.

This school is pretty competitive which I think makes this school better. Sometimes going to a big school does have its downfalls though. A lot of classes are lectures and the professors do not know your name. This makes things difficult during grading because the professors do not really know their students which makes them unable to see the amount of effort each student is putting into the classes. I am in the education program with has both benefits and downfalls. There a lot of extra work involved since I am required to major in an arts and science and minor in elementary education. In the end though, I will come out graduating with my masters which is defiantly a benefit to doing education through UT.

I do not think this is an accurate stereotype. I think this school is what you make of it, and sure you can find parties to go to but UT offers so much more than that.

Angie

The best thing about UTK is the people-I've met people from all walks of life. I am constantly meeting new people, which I love, and with over 30,000 students I don't think that will ever end. Although I consider UTK too be rather large I still feel right at home. I have so much pride in my school. To me, it is really MY school. I share it with so many other students, faculty, and staff yet I still feel that I belong here. I take so much pride in UTK! Knoxville is pretty much a college town but there is alot to do off campus as well. Downtown and the Old City is lots of fun. Most of my time is spent in the Presidential Courtyard, which is so typical for a freshman. I also spend a lot of time at the library...sometimes the library becomes a meeting place, a coffee break,a spot too see people and be seen, but most importantly to get things done. I would recommend going upstairs to "the stacks" if you are serious about studying. Most frequent student complaints seem to revolve around UTK's meal plans. Very important to be familiar with your meal plan, its details, and all that it entails.

Like I said, there are so many people here that diversity, to me, seems inevitable. I love it!

Honestly, I don't think that there are UTK stereotypes. Or maybe I am just not aware of them...I think we have a quite a diverse campus, really something for everyone here!

Dorms, weellllll they're dorms-small, cramped, and annoying. But dorm life is fun, fun, fun. Always something to do, paint, see, or eat, for free! Sororities and Fraternities are a great way to meet people. Joining a sorority was one of my best decisions yet! I heard this last semester-although greeks (sorority women and fraternity men) make up only about 17% of our campus they hold 75% of leadership positions throughout other organizations. Pretty impressive. Athletic events are great, mainly because we are UTK! Guest speakers are fun too. I say, why not take advantage of everything offered here? I go to as much as I can, usually having to pick between different events! Partying is big, but not necessary to "fit in" at UTK. Like I said, there is something to spark EVERYONES fancy no matter what day, time, or season.

Yes! My professors actually know my name. I like to make sure that they do. I go to office hours and speak up in class whenever I can. Don't be scared to do so! You've got nothin' to loose! Least favorite class-STATISTICAL REASONING, math 115. Favorite-Theatre 100-so fun! I am currently an undecided major....BUT I am in the "Apple Corps" program where students who are interested in teaching get the opportunity to go into the community and observe a teacher. I am in a third grade class and I love it so far. Beware of advisors that aren't helpful. Demand an advisor change when necessary. Research yourself-scholarships, classes, professors, everything! There are people and resources with all the answers out there-find them!

Rebekah

The best thing about UT is all the widespread opportunities the university has to offer. The campus itself isn't exactly beautiful, and when compared to other SEC schools like Alabama or Ole Miss, it's definitely lacking... The school can seem really overwhelming, but by getting connected with organizations that interest you, you can make tons of friends and have a strong foundation so that you don't feel like you're in a great big ocean of people. When I tell people I attend UTK, their reactions are mixed. Those who know it from earlier years as a party school kinda shrug me off, but people who are aware of its current academic stature are really impressed that I go there. I spend a lot of time in my dorm, either in my room or other friends' rooms. I also am constantly at the library studying! Knoxville is a decent sized city, but UT does sort of cast a shadow over it. I don't really see the administration interacting much with students; I don't even know who our Dean is...or if we even have one. Safety on campus is a really important issue lately. Fort Sanders, or "The Fort" has lots of robberies and there was even a shooting. I feel pretty safe on campus, but sometimes I worry. School spirit is huge! Football games especially bring out our Orange Pride. The sea or orange is really unbelievable.

I feel like even though the student body is primarily white and Christian, there's still a large mix of students. I think everyone can find their place at UT. It seems like the majority of students at UT are from Tennessee, which isn't surprising, especially since the Hope Scholarship is so helpful. Students are fairly politically aware, with the majority of them in the Republican party.

Growing up in Tennessee, a lot of people just assumed that UT was a party school and that everyone and their brother attended there. It's also well known for it's sports programs.

UT has definitely become a very competitive school, not only athletically, but academically too. It's not the typical party school and you've really gotta work hard to keep up your GPA.

I'm in huge lectures of 350 people and small classes with 35 students; some of the professors know my name, others don't. That's how I like it. I study pretty frequently. I'm at the library about four or five nights a week, no joke. Class participation is usually important in smaller classes or discussion groups. Being in the nursing program, the students I'm constantly around are uber-competitive and sometimes I want to pull my hair out because their main focus is school and studying! I don't really go to my professor's office hours. I feel like UTK has struck a good balance with an education system aimed at inspiring an interest in a variety of subjects while preparing its students for future careers. Even though I'm a nursing major, I'm also taking classes like Religious Studies and Art History.

Football is king as far as activities go. My first UT football game was unlike anything I'd ever seen before. It's just amazing. My sorority is very involved on campus, much like all the other 13 panhellenic sororities. We participate in fun philanthropy events and have equally fun social events. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, it's pretty much a typical Tuesday night. I'm either in a friend's dorm hanging out watching tv or in the library studying for a quiz or test I have the next day. Last weekend I went to a fraternity party to hang out with some friends and went shopping at the mall. There are plenty of sober fun things to do. A popular spot is the cereal bar in the old city. It's a cool place that has every type of breakfast cereal you could ever want!

Lee

I think the best thing about utk is that almost all the students have extreme school spirit and are involved in something on campus. I would change th eparking situation, dont sell more parking passes than u have spots.Maybe a little too large but I think its fine how it is. They dont really say much when I tell the I go here. I spend most of my time inmy dorm room or my friends room or the gym. College town. The administrationI think for th emost part is pretty good. There hasnt really been major controversies that I know of. THere is tons of school pride. I think its not unusual but people would not expect how diverse it is. The first time I sat in the student section of a football game I will nevr forget. Parking I think is the biggest complaint.

I havent had any experiences with any of these groups. I dont think any student would feel out of place I mean the majority of the student body is white but I have not seen anybody being racist towards someone different. Most students wear either sweats or jeans and tshirts. Yes I think different types of students interact. One table is a group of greeks one is some athletes, one is a group of artsy guys and girls, and one is just your typical college students.Most I would say are form Tennessee butI have met alot from out of state particular the northeastern united states. I think the most prevelant financial background is middle to upperclass. Most students i know are politcally aware and alot of students are politically active.most are center. some talk about it but not alot.

THat Its a huge party school. Its an easy school, not big on academics. Typical SEC school.

My english professors do but most of them have no clue who I am. my favorite class is history of rock bc it is a subject that I am actually interested in not just a course I have to take.Least favorite would probably be english because I hate to write and thats all u do in freshman english. I think it depends on what they are studying for but students do study quite often. It depends on the size of the class but in smaller classes participation is very common. I think some students have intellectual conversations out of class.Some students are competitive but I dont think the majority of students are.History of rock is the most unique class I have taken so far. My major is accounting and I cant really tell you much about it because none of the classes I have taken really relate to mymajor yet.No I dont really spend time with professors outside of class. I think some of the academmis requirements are good but most are a waste of time.I think the education here is geared towards both.

I would say the most popular groups on campur are fraternities and sororities or athletics.Im in delta zeta sorority and it was the best decision I ever made to join. Not really some do. Athletics are probably the most popular events on campus.Guest speakers are somewhat popular but notreally. I have not even herd that much about theater. there are alot of people here that date but I think most freshman if they dont already have a boyfriend or girlfriend they arent really lookin to find one.My closest friends are in my sorority. watching tv or on the computer.well the rock is a tradition, homecoming evernts happen every year like smokeys howl. I think most people party thursthrough sat night or at least 2 nights a weekend.Frats and sororities are important to me bc Im in one and thats the majority of pepople I hang out with but I think they are misunderstood if you are not in one so for the students who arent greek they probably dont think they are very important. last weekend I went home.you can go seebands and go to the bars on the strip but you dont have to drink. I go shopping or if there is a band playing off campus I want to see Ill go there,.

Andy

Being in the SEC and living in a college town, football games in the fall are the place to be on saturdays! There's so much school spirit and support for the football time, not to mention a lot of orange. It's a great way to bring the student body together! UT's size is just right for me. I like that's there are so many people on campus, it's hard to run into the same person twice. There's always someone to meet!

Sororities and fraternities are a pretty big deal on campus, but no so much so that if you aren't involved in one you can't find anything to do. There is always something going on around campus, athletic event, plays, bands, etc. You name it and you can pretty much find it here.

Academics at such a large school is pretty typical. Freshman classes are usually large, but once you pick a major and start taking upper level classes, class size is a lot smaller. You become friends with the people in your area and teachers really do know your name.

Lori

The best thing about UTK is I see new people EVERY day. It's a really awesome thought to see some friends from high school and then walk two more feet and see someone I have never seen before. The one thing I would change about Tennessee is to have the freshman dorms a little closer to The Hill..it IS a little far away. I think the size of UTK is just right- I don't think it needs to be larger or smaller. When I tell people that I attend UTK, most people say "GO VOLS!!!" Which is a great feeling! I love being a part of BIG ORANGE COUNTRY! Knoxville is DEFINITELY a college town. And I love it. School pride? I have never seen so much orange IN MY LIFE! Rocky Top is not just a song here..It's amazing. I'll always remember going to the football games. A UTK Football game is an experience all it's own.

Hillbillies? No way! That is FAR from the truth. I have met SO many new people from around the state and many other states. The people who have made it in to UT are very intelligent people.

The most popular groups on campus would have to be the greek community, SGA, and probably the athletic teams. I am in Delta Zeta sorority and I love it. Being involved in the greek community helps me become more active on campus. We are constantly working on our philanthropies and helping other fraternaties and sororities out with theirs. It is a great way to meet people and get involved on campus. It is pretty hard to leave the doors open in the halls because they shut as soon as you open them, but my suite-mates and I often leave our inner doors open! Althetic events are very popular here, we are very proud of our athletic department in all aspects! Guest speakers are often overwhelmed by how many students show up to hear them speak. The dating scene is big here also..I always see people holding hands or relaxing by the ampitheater between classes. I met my closest friends through my dorm hall and also through my sorority. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I am either studying for a test/quiz, or I'm at a date party! Traditions- FOOTBALL cookouts. People party mainly on the weekends, the school week is pretty busy so there isn't a whole lot of time to party. On a saturday night without drinking you can go see a movie and go out to eat on the strip with some friends! You can go clubbing without drinking too! It's also fun to stay in and watch a movie or go shopping at the mall!

A stereotype that I have heard about UTK students is that we are all just a bunch of hillbillies.

Dana

I think the best thing about UTK is that there is so much to do and be involved with. There are all sorts of clubs which is nice because there is something for everyone! Its a very welcoming school that wants it students to be involved. The school is just the right size. Its definitely a big school, but I like the big school atmosphere. There is always something going on and the campus is never dead. There are always people everywhere. There is a ton of school pride. The football team, the Vols and Lady Vols basketball teams, and lots of other athletic groups bring thousands of Tennessee lovers to the school. We are very proud of our athletics and so is the city of Knoxville. Every car has a Tennessee sticker on it somewhere and people are always sporting Tennessee spirit wear. No matter what the outcomes of any games might be, Tennessee is and always will be absolutely obsessed with Tennessee athletics.

I don't believe that anyone would feel out of place at UTK because there is so much to do and it is such a diverse campus. The different clubs and social groups create a very welcoming environment where anyone can find something that fits them perfectly! Everyone dresses pretty differently for class. Some people where sweats and a t shirt and some people decide to take two hours to get ready and show up in something much dressier. There is a good chance that if you're greek, you'll probably be wearing something that shows what sorority of fraternity you're in. A lot of people sport Tennessee spirit wear. Jeans and a t shirt are a very popular choice for class wear. Tennessee has students from everywhere. There is a big list of the different states and even countries that all the students come from in our Student Center. Most of the students are from Tennessee of course, but there are plenty of people from out of state.

People think UT is a very typical Southern school. They think it's very Greek as well as very preppy. We are ranked pretty high up on the Major Fraternity and Sorority Scene Schools according to Princeton Review. We also have a huge party school reputation considering we are always on the Top Party Schools list. Huge football school

Greek organizations are very popular groups on campus. We are considered one of the major fraternity and sorority schools and it shows. There are a lot of different ones on campus which makes it a very popular activity to be involved in. All of the sororities and fraternities are very different and each one has a stereotype, but they aren't very true. At the same time though there is one for everybody which makes it a much more welcoming Greek system. Almost 1,000 girls go through sorority rush every fall making it a very popular campus activity. I'm in a sorority here on campus so of course I consider them pretty important. I met my best friends through rush and being in my sorority and I absolutely love it. We participate in every campus philanthropy and activity, so being involved in a greek organization gets you involved with many other great opportunities as well. People party a lot on campus, but its just like any other college. If you know the right people you can party whenever you want. If you want to go out you'll easily be able to find something to do. A very popular party scene is the strip which is where all of our bars and clubs are. Some are 21 and up, most are 18 and up. The most popular nights to be on the strip are Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Lots of different groups will rent out bars and bring bands in order to raise money. Other than that, other nights of the week aren't so crazy at the bars, but you can always find somewhere to go and hang out if you really want to.

I don't believe they are completely accurate. There are a lot of Greeks because we have a lot of fraternities and sororities here on campus and there is one for everyone considering they are all pretty different from each other. This makes it more welcoming for people to join because not every Greek group is your typical sorority of fraternity. I don't really know why we are thought to be such a party school either. There is always something to do, but I think that every college campus is a party school if you know the right people. The strip is always busy with parties and bands at the different bars. You'll definitely be able to find something to do whenever you want to go out. The football school is definitely accurate. Tennessee loves it's football and Knoxville is a big football town. The entire city gets into it when there is a game, the crowds at games are incredible and our stadium is huge!

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.