Knoxville, TN
The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Harper

The best thing about UT is the environment. The campus itself, while big, is always clean aside from the constant construction. I find that the only reason people even know where UTK is is due to the athletics programs effectively establishing Knoxville as a college town. If I could change one thing about this campus it would be NO MORE CONSTRUCTION

The student body is great. There's a group or club for everything you could possibly think of. All things Greek have something to run it that you could apply for. We have a large intramural complex and 2 recreactional complexes. Students of all types and races play sports and enjoy clubs together

The only thing I can really go off about is the university's attendence policies.

There are 26,000 people here. There's some stereotype that every student falls under but it is impossible to say concretely that "these stereotypes are accurate"

Activities are always going on on campus. night time on campus brings events from different clubs on campus and then of course there are bars off campus. Greek life is small but influential. Greeks tend to be more involved in groups such as SGA simply because the rest of the student body is apathetic about it. The Clarence Brown theater on campus is professionally put on by hired outside actors which is good for acting students trying to gain experience. Essentially, this school is a party school so when weekends come around, partying is what 60% of the students are doing

Academics at UTK are very hit or miss. It's a lottery game trying to get into classes and russian roulette trying to find a professor that won't completely screw you over. For the most part, students bust their ass but if they don't get a good professor, it's all in vain. My department is great with a few exceptions. This school has an issue with treating its students like adults in the classroom. I don't understand why I'm paying this much money for an education, and they have the nerve to tell me if I miss more than 2 classes I'm going to fail the course and that there's no such thing as an excused absence

Stereotypically, we drink a lot and we don't go to class, but of course there are those who feel UTK students help out the community through philanthropy events and environmental improvements. UTK students, as well as all college students, will always get discriminated against because of the lazy stereotype

Chad

Best thing is the environment and football season.

Best thing is the environment and football season.

Most students wear jeans to class. Some will wear a collard shirt and others just wear a t-shirt.

I know my professors names. I frequently go to office hours to get extra help and ask questions. I often get together with friends in my classes to study for exams or work on projects. My friends do compete with each other, especially if they are in the same class, but it is in a friendly natured way. There are many unique classes to take about countless topics.

Athletic events are huge, everyone on campus goes out and hangs out with their friends to watch and pre-game for sporting events. Fraternities and Sororities play a huge role in social networking, I don't have many friends that are not in my fraternity.

Jody

It is a great community that can lead you in the right direction to start your career. A lot of people attend the university, so there is all sorts of diversity. It is not a college town, but much of what goes on in Knoxville is centered around the university. There is much school pride in its athletics, but maybe not as much as academics, though there is still much pride in academic programs. UT is one of the smallest campuses with the largest amount of people at it. I will always remember the great friends that I have made, and what UT has allowed me to become as a person.

A lot of diverse attitudes and personalities. Many different kinds of people attend this university and allow people to open up to multiple cultures.

There of course is the old standards of parties on the weekend, going to the bars, whatever. But there is also a lot involved on campus as well.

for the most part, but there are more dimensions that go unnoticed

Very challenging courses in the science department, that is all i know really because those are the classes that I take.

Partiers, Drinkers, it is in awful condition, run down

Katie

One of the best things about the University of Tennessee at Knoxville is the strong tradition. Whether it is singing Rocky Top or the alma mater at the top of our lungs during the football games, or simply walking up the 96 steps of the hill to get to class, UT is full of tradition. We have so much pride in our school which makes the atmosphere more like a huge community. I believe the size of our school helps the diversity of the student body and also presents so many more opportunities to its students. One thing that I will never forget is when we beat the University of South Carolina in football fall of 2007, and the entire student section stayed to sing Rocky Top over and over for about 20 minutes after the game!

I don't think any kind of student would feel out of place at UT. We are all here for a common goal, to better ourselves in education and social aspects of life. All students have their own groups they stick with whether it be Greek organizations, Student Government, Athletic Teams, ROTC programs, religious organizations, or other clubs. However, it is difficult to find people who only associate with their group only. It is so easy to co-mingle with the different groups, and I feel there is little animosity between them. Politically, I believe the student body a the University of Tennessee is extremely diverse.

no. only about 60% drink i think?

It is difficult with such a large student body to have that one-on-one contact that you had in high school with professors. However, it is very easy to talk to your professors outside of class, and they generally remember you right after your meeting. Students at UT are very competitive. There are so many organizations on campus that have to raise their GPA standards now because so many people apply, and they still have difficult times trying to sift through those applicants.

I am lucky enough to have lived in a dormitory that had community bath. In saying that I mean, all of the girls on my hall kept their doors open. We were a huge group of friends and none of us had the same agenda. I am in Pi Beta Phi, my roommate ROTC, one girl across the hall was on the rowing team, the other was a Zeta, down the hall we had a dancer, a Freshman Council member, and girls that were just there hanging out with us and our stress. Sure people party whenever they feel it necessary, but by no means do you have to party to have fun at UT. I can remember countless nights where my friends and I would sit in the hallway and just discuss life until 3 or 4 in the morning. Off campus there are lots of neat places to go--parks, movie theaters, the mall, etc.

people think that UTK students are all alcoholics

I think the best thing about UTK is the spirit. All the students are die-hard Tennessee fans, and they love to show it. The school pride is very abundant and extremely obvious. If I could change something, I would fix the parking. There just never seems to be enough, and yet we constantly get tickets. I like that UTK has a lot of students. It seems so big, and yet you'll walk to class and almost always see at least one person you know. It's a close community. When people hear I go to UTK, they either love it or hate it. There doesn't ever seem to be any indifference to my going to UTK. I spend most of my time when on campus in my dorm, classes, or the library. I would say Knoxville is most definitely a college town. There's no question about it. I don't really know anything about UTK's administration. All I've heard from or about them is from The Daily Beacon. If that's saying something, I'm really not sure. I think the most recent one was Crabtree's resignation, but I'm still not sure what happened with that. I can't really think of anything too unusual about UTK. Probably the same stuff other campus' deal with, too. The biggest complaint I hear about is air conditioning and parking.

Most of the groups on campus are pretty cool and not bothersome. However, there are some that are bound and determined to sway you to their thinking and will stand on the Pedestrian Sidewalk with pictures trying to make you feel bad. I'm not a supporter of those groups. There are such a wide variety of people here that I think it would be hard not to find someone you can connect with. You can find students dressed anywhere from pajamas to jeans and t-shirts to very dressed up. It just depends on what you want to wear.

I think the area surrounding campus is getting pretty shady. I don't remember there being nearly as many incidences of violence last school year as there have been this year. It's worrisome. I also wish there were more Lat Night T buses and operators. I know on a few nights on weekends, I've called the T up into the 80s and 90s of times trying to get it to come pick us up. Sometimes they'll answer and other times they won't. It really isn't safe to have girls wandering around The Fort at night, and yet it happens all the time because The T won't answer.

From around Memphis, I've heard that we are a bunch of party animals and soon to be alcoholics. I've also heard that our school is not very academic oriented.

Like any school, you can find the parties if you really want to. There's always someone having one, but there are also always people in the library studying and taking their classes seriously. And there are the people that are always studying and going to classes during the week and going to parties on the weekend. It just required finding a personnel balance between the two. College will be what the student puts into it. If you go to class and try to learn, you will. It's really very simple.

Some professors know my name and some don't. In lectures, it's a lot harder to have them know and remember you than in smaller classes. My favourite class so far was Psych 220 with Dr. Polio. It was a big lecture class, but I loved going. It wasn't necessary to go, but I went anyway just because it was interesting. He made going to class worthwhile. I think my least favourite class was Intro to Poetry. I love poetry, but the class was just boring. The teacher was monotonous and just dreadfully boring. Not a class I would recommend unless they come up with better professors. Studying is fairly common. The library is always pretty full. Class participation typically winds up being dependent upon the teacher. If the teacher encourages participation, then there is usually more participation. Intellectual conversations occur a lot. Nothing too overbearing, but definitely requiring strong mental capacities. I've never been competitive about grades, but I'm sure there are some people who are. I guess it just happens. Again, I have to use Polio's Psych 220 class. His class was most unique because it was so intriguing. Most lectures, you just sit, copy notes, listen to the lecture, and occasionally ask questions. With Polio, he pulled you into interacting with him and kept you interested. I really enjoy Psychology. It's been an interest since middle school and hasn't diminished. The teachers are usually pretty helpful, and there is such a broad range of fields within Psychology that one could find it extremely useful in most everything. I personally haven't spent time with teachers outside of class, but I know people that are friends with their professors. It seems really cool, and a better way for the teacher to get to know the students. Some of the academic requirements I understand why we have to take them. They fit into line with our major and help broaden our education. And yet, other core classes that are required I think are just bogus. There is no point to some of them. I don't see how they will fit into what I want to do with my life. Sure, if you were undecided, then I could understand taking a lot of different courses, but I've known what I've wanted to major in since day one. I just feel that the time that some of these core requirements take up could be better spent in different classes that could better prepare me for my future.

It seems that Greek life, Church life, and Athletics are most dominant. I'm in a sorority. I live on a sorority floor and we leave our door open. Athletics are VERY popular, of course. The dating scene is pretty easy. There's always someone around who you'll find attractive. I met my closest friends through living on the sorority floor.

Kathryn

The best thing about UTK is all the activities that are offered to every student on campus. There are so many ways to get involved and get closer with other students on campus. I love the size of my school. I spend time all over campus, whether it be for class, my sorority, other activities, or just for fun. Our school has so much school spirit, so sports events and other things are always guaranteed to be supported by the student body. I'll always remember how much fun the football games are.

There is not a very diverse student body at UTK. I think any student of a different race other than American may feel a little out of place, just because there are very few of them. However, all students here at UTK interact with all other students despite their race or ethnicity or religion. We have a lot of political supporters here at UTK and a lot of ways to find out information on current politics.

Depending on the size of class determines if my professor knows my name or not. THe majority of my classes are small so I have gotten to know my teachers very well. Class participation is very common and appreciated. In my major, graphic design, students are VERY competitive because the program is so demanding. I think the academic requirements are a little disorganized but okay for the most part.

The football and basketball teams are the most popular here at UTK, especially because our teams are so good nationally. Almost every UTK student can say they have been to an athletic event. They are one of UTK's best qualities. We also have very interesting theatrical performances that are advertised around campus. Partying on the weekends is a hobby as well. The bars on the strip are always packed on the weekends.

some stereotypes are that fraternities and sororities are only about social events and partying when really they are about sisterhood/brotherhood and philanthropies.

The best thing about UT is that it's a huge university with a small university feel. I think it's just right. People seem to get a positive reaction when I say I go here, like "oh I bet that's a lot of fun". I spend most of my time at my home on campus. I think that Knoxville is a college town when you're around the fort area and strip, but is more residential in West Knoxville. There is a HUGE amount of school pride.

UT is so diverse. You see different people each day. Students wear everything to class, but you can definitely point out who they associate by what they wear. I do not think different types of students interact which is upsetting. I feel that UT is comprised mainly of students from Nashville and Memphis (and those towns surrounding areas). Many students come from very wealthy financial backgrounds. Students are politically aware/active if they choose to be.

Favorite class by far was History of Rock and Roll with Wendell Werner. I learned more in that class than any other I've taken. He had a way of teaching in which I never got bored and learned tons without feeling I was being lectured. Least favorite-any science! They're impossible. I feel that students are pretty good about studying, but the library is also usually a social hot spot so that sends a lot of students there. I do not spend time with professors outside of class. I feel the requirements are geared to learning about the major, not learning through the major to get a job. I feel that students are competitive with their only social groups and affiliations.

Most popular are sororities and fraternities. Students in dorms do not leave their door open, unless in a sorority dorm. Athletic events are huge! The dating scene-college boys don't want to date. I met my closest friends through my sorority, and if I'm awake at 2am on Tuesday then I'm goofing off with them. People tend to party a lot. I believe fraternities and sororities are very important because it's an automatic way to meet people similar to you, and they open doors to new opportunities.

Party school, huge football fans

The social life.I would change the police force around UTK. My school could be a little smaller for more one on one action. They know it is a good school. Most of my time is spent in the classroom. College town. My administration could always be better.The biggest controversy is the police force and violence.Yes there is alot of school pride.THe one experience i will take with me forever is the school pride and the football games.The most frequent student complaints are with the UTPD and the KPD not being up to par.

I have done an ACE event with another race. No students feel out of place i dont think, there is to much to be involoved with.Students wear everything to class from a tshirt and shorts to dresses.Yes they do interact. The four tables would be filled with everyone. They are usually from TN. All financial backgrounds are here i feel.

Sororitys and frats are most popular then football and basketball.I am involved with Delta Zeta. No students never leave there door open.The football and basketball games are most popular.i meet my closest friends from my sorority.If i am awake at 2 a.m i am with my friends goofing off.Booms day is what comes to my head that happens every year.People party every night. I went out last friday and saturday i went bowling. I shop off campus.

The professors in my college know my name. My favortie class is speech disorders and my least is acoustics. I study non-stop 5 out of the seven days of the week.Yes class participation is normal.Yes many intellectual conversations are held outside of class.Yes students are competitive. the most unique class i've ever taken is history of rock. My major is speech pathology and i lvoe it. I do not spend much time with my professors outside of class. Utk's academic requirements are hard. UTk is geared towards getting a job.

We drink alot and party atmosphere. We have a large campus and community.

UT is a great school with amazing resources, programs, and activities. The only real problems I have with UT are the large class sizes (for some courses, they reach up to two and three hundred), and the constant renovations and construction (although this will eventually benefit our school in a big way). One of my favorite spots on campus are the ampitheatre outside of the Humanities and Social Sciences building. There are large grassy steps perfect for studying, relaxing in the sun, and watching performers. Another place I love is the very top of The Hill. Right outside of Ayers, on of UT's oldest buildings, there is a huge, open, grassy lawn with benches and a perfect view of campus.

UT is very diverse, but there has been a large influx of students are from Tennessee with the HOPE scholarship.

UT is often not categorized in a league with other top state schools such as UVA, UGA, USC, and UNC. It's students are, in effect, typically stereotyped as not being as smart as students in those other universities.

UT is known for it's thriving spirit in all it's endeavors, especially football! There is nothing in the world like the UT campus on a game day. UT also has one of the best student activities on college campuses: Volapalooza. Every year, on the last day of spring semester classes, the Campus Entertainment Board puts on a concert completely free to students with a big name musical act.

Academics at UT are fairly typical of any college campus. Some of the classes are very large, and that makes it difficult for professors to relate to students.

No! UT has amazing test scores and offers resources unparalleled by any other university. Each year the standards for entering students are raised.

Katherine

Football is the best thing. Air conditioned class rooms. Just Right. I don't really see any kind of reaction. Communication Studies building or Neyland Stadium or Thompson Bowling. COLLEGE TOWN! I think that we lack in areas of administration, but where we don't lack, it takes over for where we do. I know there was a bomb threat in humanities or the shooting in the fort. if that is what you are talking about as a controversy. I would say we have a TON of school pride. I think people think it is weird that we have a "drunk bus" system. Football games I will always remember, or the nights on the strip. Complaints: The Hill (where I say change your major) Big Orange Screw and needing AIR in the rooms.

I don't really have any interaction with those social groups. Anyone who feels out of place here should just go home, because there are TOO many things offered here for them to feel out of place. Some wear their PJs if they have morning classes, but its usually casual unless you have a presentation or something. Yes, I think I interact with different types of students in class that I don't know if I would outside of class. I don't really know about the 4 tables... maybe: Frat boys, sorority girls, the GDIs, and then the computer geniuses?? I think that some people can fool you about their financial backgrounds. UT students are from ALL over. I think for the most part the older students who have already gotten to vote are more politically aware. I would say we are in the south so we're still conservative, but we're leaning a little towards the center. Some kids speak of money outside of school, but I don't talk to them.

When I was a freshman it was that we were a good party school, but after working for the admissions office with Orange Pride I found out how we were actually competing academically too.

I would say the most popular thing to do right at the beginning of the school year is be in a frat or a sorority. Then as football comes along, its cool to know about football, and then basketball, then baseball. Its all about the season. I'm involved in a sorority. I use to the OVER active in it, but now that I am a senior I have stepped down. I never left my door open because I didn't know anyone in my suite, but friends always left theirs open. Athletic events are POPULAR. If you want to find a date, you probably can, if you want to be single you can. I met my closest friends through my sorority and through my boyfriend. Seeing how its Tuesday now, if I am up at 2am its probably because I can't sleep... but I would say you're probably studying because its Tuesday and there is nothing else to do on a Tuesday. Torch Night happens each year, along with homecoming events. People party every night. Even though I am in a sorority after four years I don't really see an importance, like I"m not going to push my kids to do one if they don't want to. Yes my friends I have are close to me because of my sorority, but after putting so much time and effort into it and so far as a senior I've got nothing but "senior privileges" out of it I don't really see the importance. But it will return the favor one day. Its all what you put into it. Last weekend I went to the bars and had some drinks with some friends. You can do ANYTHING you want to do especially in Knoxville on a Saturday night. If you want to drink, drink. Shop, shop. Play laser tag, movies anything, do it. There are so many opportunities. I use to recruit for the football team so I could give a list.... Off campus you can shop, go to the movies, go to a park, EAT, laser tag, chuckie cheese, go to Gatlinburg.

Some of my professors know my name, some don't (and I like to keep it that way). Favorite class is probably some PE class or Child and Fam Studies with Dr Kohne (sp?) Well some study a lot some don't, it depends on their major. In bigger classes students don't participate as much as smaller ones. It depends, if I am having a "class" conversation its usually right as I'm walking out the door of the class. I don't see competition in my major. History of Rock with WENDEL. I'm a communication studies major, I take a lot of speech classes. No time with the professors because you usually don't need to. I think that UT is good about academic requirements, if not they should lower them so more people could get in. The education here has not taught me how to get a job, in fact I graduate soon and I have NO clue where I'm going to be.

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.