Conway, AR
University of Central Arkansas

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Central Arkansas

Rhiannon

Dear past self, This year you start college, and with it a new chapter in your life. It is an exciting time, and do not take a single moment of it for granted. I implore you to soak up every morsel of knowledge that a professor or fellow student throws your way, but do not be fooled by fancy degrees or a confident air; people are imperfect. Research what you are learning, and confirm its validity. The effect will be two fold; you will have a greater understanding of the subject and thus be better prepared, and you can know for certainty whether or not the information you are recieving is to be trusted. Information recieved will inevitably been doled out again, and it would be disasterous to lead others astray. Also, participate in more than classes. Get out of your own head, and engage with other students and professors. Many great minds, sensibilities, and personalities saturate UCA's campus. It can only be to your advantage to mingle your own with them. But most of all, do not forget to have fun. Academics is most important, but don't let the rest of the college experience pass you by.

I wish that I would have known not to be solely focused on the details of my school work EVERY hour of EVERY day. Though my work load has increased and I still maintain my GPA, I have managed to be more relaxed, sleep more soundly, and be overall more content in my second year at the university. A valuable skill for any new college student is to learn to put down their school worries when appropriate and leave them there to be picked back up when prudent. Quality of life is increased as one puts their mind at ease.

The worst, and perhaps best thing, about UCA is probably the emphasis on fraternity and sorority life. There is little to do for those of us who choose not to be invovled in those kind of social clubs. The strong emphasis and prospering greek life is really great, and, from what I can tell, a great way for those with the fiscal resources to reach out and meet new people. However, this leaves the rest of the student population without many choices to expand their social circles, form study groups, and create meaningful connections with one another.

Katelyn

College is hard work. In high school, I just kind of floated by. This is the real world and you have to work hard. The past couple of years have been hard for me because I haven't worked as hard as I can/should. I got slapped in the face recently with the fact that if I don't start stepping it up, my future career will not exist. Don't think college is all fun and games. While you can still have fun, you have to set your priorites straight and stick with them.

Someone who doesn't like working hard. This is not a school where you can just do the minimum to get by. You have to actually work, attend class, and study. Something I am still learning how to do. This can be a challenging place academically but because of that, it has made me a better student.

Jaime

The best advice I would give myself is to listen to your mentors. The month I graduated from high school, I got a job in a hospital. My emergency department manager encouraged me to get on the waiting list for the nursing program. I was young and nieve and did not want anything to do with nursing, I wanted to become a paramedic. Not listening to her, I continued on and got my paramedic license. I've been a paramedic for 13 years and have not enjoyed one day of it. It was truly not the field for me. I just spent the last five years, going to school part-time trying to get pre-requisites for a nursing program. I completed everything this last spring and went and talked to the academic advisor, only to be disappointed that they changed the program requirements and I was told I would need to complete three more pre-requisites. Frustrated, I gave up. I was tired of the politics and competition trying to get a spot in the nursing program and changed my major. To this day, I wish I would have taken my mangers advice, and tried for nursing in 1994.

Make sure you meet all deadlines and keep up with turning things in to colleges. You want to have to the best opportunity to be accepted and to go to your choice college. Also, don't worry about making new friends. You're going to find two amazing people to hang around with, and they will be your best friends. It doesn't necessarily get easier or less busy, but you do have more freedom.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to prioritize my needs and wants more wisely. When I was in high school, I was sure that college would be nothing but a bigger school with more people. I soon figured out that I was surely wrong. Going to college is usually a "make it" or "break it" for students and if a person is not careful, it is very like to associate with the wrong crowd, forget about studying and eventually flunking out.

One thing that I would consider being the worst thing about my school is the social parties (although they are not affiliated with the campus itself) many people choose to not go to the University of Central Arkansas because they think of it as a party school. In actuality, the University of Central Arkansas is not a party school, it is all about the people and who they choose to associate with.

One thing that I brag about most when I tell my friends about my school is the professors and instructors. Unlike, many other colleges that I have heard about in Arkansas, the University of Central Arkansas is a college that is focused on two things, education and succeeding in life.

Courtney

UCA is a big campus and was made for people to commute on foot, meaning the parking lots are on the edges of campus. It has a great community feel but if you want convenience you won't find it in our parking lots. It has become very apparent to me that finding a parking spot is a big part of my day.This is a great college town so i love to get out and explore but coming back and having to search multiple parking lots just so you can go to your room can be exhausting. If you wanna come here get used to walking, but in my opinion it is worth it! The perks of UCA is that it is on the outskirts of Conway, Walmart is nearby, there are many places to eat on campus, and everyone here shows their bear pride, DO IT LIKE A BIG BEAR: GRRRRR

This Campus is truly beautiful. There are so many people on campus to take care of the buildings, plants, holiday decoration, and much more. When i first got here all the plants were so alive and the tall brick buildings are well kept and have large columns. We have a fountain that provides a nice place to study and a key role in Christmas decorations. During the holiday season it is lit with purple and white Christmas lights. The landscaping is beautiful with many types of flowers, grasses, and trees. When walking through campus it almost feels like your at a park. There is always wildlife on campus, I probably see at least one squirrel everyday, and some days i see many. This campus is well established and I love that even though it's in a large urban area it still has a rural feel to it!

Describe the dorms.

Living on campus is a great experience because of the social atmosphere, but the facilities are not five star. I live in Carmichael, an all girls dorm, so there is a lot of drama. But the worst part is the community bathrooms, some girls are really gross and keep the bathrooms disgustingly dirty, the maid that cleans it everyday is off on the weekends so the bathroom becomes a pig sty! Last year a girl in this building had a miscarriage and left it in the toilet and on the bathroom floor for someone else to find. The rooms are pretty small but you have the option to bunk beds giving you much more room. When choosing an apartment know that off campus apartments can sometimes be cheaper than "on campus" apartments and be the same distance from the main campus, the main difference is UCA's ownership of the apartments and the transportation to main campus is through shuttle for apartments such as Bear Village.

What are your classes like?

Most of my classes have over 70 students, coming from a high school with 52 in our graduating class this was definitely a change. I'm taking General Education classes right now so i expect for my classes to decrease in size by junior year. My biology class has over 150 in a large lecture hall. With a class of that size it can be hard to concentrate so try to get a seat in the first three rows, because after that you lose focus and it's hard to hear most professors. Also there is a no attendance policy in most Gen Ed courses, but try to attend as many lectures as possible it will help your grade tremendously!

A lot of the students here are laid back, especially at 9 am! This campus has few problems based on race, ethnicity, religiosity, or sexual orientation. It seems that anyone from any background would fit in at UCA, our campus is like a huge melting pot. Most students do wear jeans and t-shirts, but there are a few who choose more comfort and wear PJ's or leggings and no one really comments on it as long as its not to scandalous. Almost anyone can be approached here and for my first three weeks of school I literally just sat down with strangers and had a conversation. This is the most expensive public University in Arkansas based on tuition so you need to be rich or on scholarship! There are many groups to join to be active in the community or with political affiliations. For instance there is the Young Democrats who meet around once a month. Many people are enthusiastic about their majors but few brag too much about how much better their major is than yours. Everyone is willing to tell you about their major if you need some help deciding on a career.

UCA is pretty challenging and a little overwhelming at first, but there are many people here to help. Every Professor I've had has been more than happy to help me understand their subject. There are also many opportunities for study sessions, and tutoring (which you have already paid for with tuition). A few of my classes have over 100 students but it seems like the professors remember you anyways, it's hard to learn everyone's name so i don't blame them, but they always try! If you plan to take Psychology I would recommend Dr. Brinegar. She has an interesting teaching method, that never bores me! There is a lot of competition here mainly because of the prestigious programs offered at this University, for instance my current department is Occupational Therapy, meaning you need good grades to get into the masters program. I like that this school gives you space to make errors but encourages your best outcomes.

There is a huge stereotype that UCA is a party school! The only parties here that are worth going to are parties at Hendrix College. UCA is more about academics than most people believe. There are many amazing Sororities and Fraternities here but their parties aren't exactly for those who just want to "have a good time" at college, UCA is a lot of fun don't get me wrong but if you want in just because of the fun you think you can have UCA may not be the school for you!

I would tell myself that college is very different from high school so I should let go and open up more. I was not the most popular kid in high school and I let that hold me back when I got to college, but I've come to realize none of that matters here. I can loosen up. People are a lot less judgmental and you have the freedom to experiment and be yourself. I would tell myself not to pick a major like math or business just because you feel that is what is expected. I can just do what I love (art/theatre) and my friends and professors will support me. I know that now and I wish I had known it freshman year instead of wasting my first year and a half doing something I hated.

For my major, it was difficult for me to find out the exact requirements. It wasn't clear from the online degree requirements page, what was needed for a B.F.A. as oppossed to a B.A. and the confusion made it hard to plan my semester schedules accordingly. I am further behind in my program than I would have been if the online resources had been clearer.

The program my major in is tailored to give students the experience they need to help them succeed. There is a sophomore major advancement interview to weed out the students that don't care or don't have what it takes and an intership is required for my degree. It's a good program.

Latoya

If I were to back in time, and be able to talk to myself; the advice I would suggest: 1st.--Don't be hesitant in wanting things. Be bold and take charge, accept the skills, and talents you have within yourself in the career you know you have the desire for. 2nd--Contine to be fair and just; give a helping hand here and there to those whom in need, because you never know when its your turn to receive the blessings from another "Pay it Forward". 3rd--Keep truth and honest to yourself, stay away from the bad and runaway from the evil, but stay very close to the good...What an advice I would give myself, if I would be able to travel back in time.....

University of Central Arkansas administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.