Edmond, OK
University of Central Oklahoma

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Central Oklahoma

Amy

UCO has been given milliions of dollars to develop their Forensics Science program in addition to assembling an impressive group of staff and faculty. The new Forensic Science building is positioned across the street from the new OSBI Forenics lab. Grad school students are afforded the opportunity to obtain internships at the OSBI. I can foresee that the Foresic Science Institue at UCO will help to propel Oklahoma's OSBI Forensic Lab as one of the nation's future leaders.

When I was growing up the value of education was never emphasized. It took me several years coupled with several unfulfilling low paying jobs to understand the importance of a college degree. If I could travel back in time and give myself advice I would say this: College is a must not a choice. It is one of the single most important decisions you will make in life and it is important to obtain a college degree before you do anything else in life. It will afford you options you would not otherwise be afforded. Find a major you're interested in; one that is in demand and specialized. Surround youself with likeminded friends. Make good grades in high school, participate in different school clubs, and volunteer in the community. Take AP courses, and if available take a few college level courses. Visit colleges you are interested in going to and once you graduate from high school either move to a college dorm or join the Greek system. But either way and above all do the full college experience and have fun!

The University of Central Oklahoma has offered me an avenue to use my Psychology degree in an interesting way and that is applying it to the field of Forensic Science. They have a stellar program with the most impressive group of instructors I have ever had the honor and fortune to be around.

Juanita

Dear Juanita *May 2006, Wow! Congratulations on your graduation. I know that you are proud, but this is just the beginning of your life. You will soon be headed off to college and I wanted to give a few tips; but before you just shrug off what I have to say, just know that I've been there and I really hope you take my advice. Be sure you have an idea of what you want to do, it'll be less stressful later on if you don't have to keep switching your degree choices. Be careful to budget your spending, I know you'll be living on campus for a couple of years, but keep your mind clear for the future-you'll need some money then. There are always unexpected expenses that spring up at the worst possible times. Study a little every day instead of cramming the night before the test. Not only will you retain more information, it's much less stressful. Stay close to your family, just because they live close, doesn't mean you can't drop by once a week, or call to say hi. Remember these, and you'll do fine.

The University of Central Oklahoma is for students wanting to learn in a great environment; surrounded by helpful teachers, diverse students, and a not too small-but not too big town. There are people from all over the world at UCO, you'll fit right in-whoever you are.

Honestly, if you're just going to school to have a good time with Mom and Dad's money, don't choose UCO. There isn't a lot of "partying" that goes on. Most of the students here are serious about getting a good eduction for their future careers.

Jalessia

College is a whole different world comapred to high school. As a senior in high school I would tell myself to fill out every scholarship I can. College is more expensive than I thought it was. Go to all the orientations your freshman year. The more you learn the more comfortable you will feel. Staying on campus is one of the best things you could ever do. You will meet some of your life long friends there, and these are the people that will keep you sane throughout college. Get to know all of your professors. Sit on the front row in class. Be the teachers pet. These all will help you out in the long run. Getting involved on campus is another thing I would mention. Joining different groups and organizations will help you deal with homesickness, meet new people, and get more connected with your school. College can be overwhelming, yes I know. However, it's a great experience you don't want to miss out on. One last thing: STAY FOCUSED!

I love my school so much. They are very good about letting students know what is going on around campus and they have so many opportunities for different people to get involved. No matter where you are on campus, there's always someone there to help you with any and everything. Also, the teachers are great beyond words and they really care about their students.

We have a very diverse group of students at our school. I would recommend it to any and everyone. No matter who you are or where you came from, they make you feel at home.

Ashland

We are best known for our outstanding students who want to change not only our campus and ourselves but our community.

If I could go back in time to my high school senior self, I would encourage myself to try and pratice new study habits. Since being in college I have had to adjust my study habits, for me each class requires a different way of processing information. Another thing I would tell my self is that change happens and I would just have to go with it; people change and people grow. Also I would tell myself to take each day as it is enjoy it and don't wait to long to try new things.

One thing I wish I had known before I attended college is that as a college student you have to be flexible and willing to make changes in your study habits and living habits.

Garrett

Life is strange sometimes. You might not find yourself where you thought you would be, but I think you'll find you're happy just the same. Still, know this: There is nothing wrong with taking a semester off if you need it. The time lost that semester will be far less costly than burning out mid-semester. Also, don't get too wrapped up in your studies. Take time to make friends and be with the ones you care about. Finding a healthy balance can be very hard sometimes, but don't stop trying to find it because having it will prove to be invaluable. Lastly, (and this may sound strange) don't be afraid to be selfish sometimes. This is your life, and, while it might not seem like it now, you know what you want from it. Be honest with yourself and others about your wishes. That may mean making uncomfortable changes in your life at times, but when you emerge from those strange times, you'll find that you're a much better person than you probably ever imagined you could be. Stay true to yourself. You're a good person.

The best thing about UCO is the students that attend. I really didn't think they were anything remarkable until I started to meet a lot of the friends my former high school classmates and my sister were making at their schools. I feel as if the students who attend UCO know themselves and what they want much better than many of those students. It may sound silly to say this, but on the whole, students at UCO are wiser than students I've met from other schools.

Someone who is interested in changing their life for the better. UCO is a moderately inexpensive school and their motto of transformative learning has truly been just that. Students who understand that the value of an education is more than just projected earnings (but who might not be able to afford another school) will find exactly what they're looking for here. They'll probably even find that they're happier here than they would have been elsewhere.

Gregory

If I could go back and talk to myself my senior year about college there would be a long drawn out talk. My younger self probably wouldn't listen, but I would keep talking to him until he understood he needs to do all his homework to get a little higher gpa. Then I would tell him to focus on studying habits and time management skills. I would tell him that paying for college isn't impossible, and if he would just sit down and talk to dad he wouldn't have to join the US Navy. I would then tell him that he needs to join the US Navy because its going to turn him into the man he is going to become and give him an edge when it comes to college. Then some other things I would tell him would be spend more time with Crystal, she turns out being a really cool girl. Don't sell your guitar to buy the girl the dress for prom, she will just leave you two weeks later. Then I would tell him to keep his chin up, because life might be hard right now, but it gets better.

The worst thing about my school is....well, their really isn't any thing bad about my school. You get an education from a school that has many merited staff at an affordable price. There are small classrooms, so the teacher knows your name, and overall its great learning environment.

The most frustrating about my school is the lack of challenge in the first year classes. If you know the subjects, than it is very easy. If you are a student that is older and returning from the workplace you may find it lacking in the stimulation department. Even so though, It just means a higher gpa going into your junior and senior level classes. So overall, you won't hear many complaining.

Zane

The advice that I would give myself is to be self motivated and show up to class everyday. While attending the University of Central Oklahoma I have notice that being self motivated and showing up to class can lead to success as a student here.

Someone that is committed and focused on becoming a better person should attend the University of Central Oklahoma. Being committed to attend class daily and paying attention are very important characteristics of being a student at UCO.

The people and the atmosphere is what I usually brag about to my friends. The people that I have met up here are very friendly and easy to talk to. The University of Central Oklahoma is a beautiful campus and has several things that the students can do here.

Cindy

It was the first school with an emphasis on teaching education. Because of this, it is still considered one of the best universities in Oklahoma for an education major. The campus is beautiful and the instructors are very helpful. Classes are smaller than other Oklahoma Universities, which enables a more direct approach from instructors. Advisors are very informative and helpful, as well as very professional and kind. You are treated like a person and not a number. It is clear that a wonderful education will be received.

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to follow my instincts and follow my original dreams. The transition to college life really is not that scary and there are far more frightening and difficult things out in the work world. Having a bachelor's degree while looking for a job would open more doors of opportunity in the working world. A college degree offers a whole other level of respect in the workplace and leadership positions might possibly arise quicker than without a degree. The opportunity to fully experience college life is wonderful. I would tell myself, "Experience Greek Life, get involved with campus events, join an organization, study hard, and have fun. It really is the best times of your life and enjoy them."

Anyone that is interested in being a teacher, should definately consider attending. If you prefer smaller classes with the opportunity to participate, this university could be for you. The university has a diverse group enrollment of students and there are plenty of opportunities for the person that loves to get involved with organizations or volunteering. Leadership opportunities are available, as well.

Kari

The most importnat thing I could tell myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now, is my academic achievements in high school in no way predict my academic achievements in collage. Once in collage, I can be as successful as I want to be because I am in charge of my life and coursework and the pace at which I chose to complete my education. In high school I made good grades, but never had the opportunity to excel because my home life was consumed with raising my two baby brothers. When I entered collage I did not consider myself an intelligent person, but to my surprise, with dedication to my studies, I found I could master any course I took! Now, as a junior, I am considering applying to medical school to become a doctor. In high school I never would have dreamed of a medical career as a possibility! High school success should not dictate your success in collage, nor should it be used to measure your true potential.

This school seems to have a large amount of adjunct teachers. While there are some that take their job as an adjunct seriously and are quality teachers, most just meet the minimum requirements to get a little extra cash. If you are serious about your future and need to learn the material in order to do well in more advanced classes, this can be detrimental to your educational goals.

Students expecting a university setting seen in popular movies should not attend this university. The population is relatively small compared to other major universityies in this state. This is also not a football collage. Academics are the main focus at this university. Athletics are just recreational and not highly emphasized. Being the president of one of the many academic clubs will make you a more recognizable student than being the star quarterback or head cheerleader.

Stacy

I would tell myself to look ahead farther than just the next semester and see the big picture and what all was required for my chosen career goals, not just my degree. I would also want to tell myself to look at more colleges before choosing one and that it was more than just a school, but a preparation for life and a home away from home, pick a place you can live and learn.

I wish I had known about ratemyprofessor.com.

The worst thing about my school is that some of the professors don't really seem to know how to teach the things they are supposed to be teaching, but it is just a few of many, most are very good.

University of Central Oklahoma administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.