Wilmington, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of North Carolina Wilmington

Cassidy

University of North Carolina-Wilmington is not only situated near the beach, it is rich in Civil War history. The college itself promotes a strong sense of community involvement and community commitment. The school is making very great progress and is developing strong prorams even though the school has only been around for 66 years.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to be prepared to give up food. Some days my class schedule is very hectic and does not allow for time to eat. I would also tell myself to push for getting my driver's license before coming to school. Though there are people who are willing to provide transportation, I do not like having to rely on others to get things done. Having a license would also give me a little more flexibility to go places, such as the aquarium and Downtown Wilmington more frequently, assuming I had access to a car.

I brag about the proximity to the beach and the stong community connection that the school is striving to build, even though it is only 66 years old.

Kacy

I wish I had known just how relaxes everyone would be on campus before I came to UNCW. I was very nervouse about going to college and knowing how nice and relaxed everyone really is would have helped me a lot.

I think I have always felt the thing that UNCW lacks the most is school spirit. There is no sense of camaraderie when is comes to school functions and I think this is because it's seen as a communter school. Since most students live off of campus, there is not a lot of things going on during the weekends for everyone to come together.

Nicolette

I would tell myself to work as hard as possible but don't sweat it if you come up short once in awhile. One bad grade isn't the end of the world and there's always time to improve. Also, something that never gets old: Be yourself. Never feel that you need to change to achieve acceptance.

I would inform my former, younger self that life is not always what we expect and it throws different difficult situations at us at the worst times. The important thing to remember is to stay true to yourself and always know who you are and never let anyone affect the way you view yourself or your decisions. Also, that you're going to make mistakes, it's inevitable. When this happens don't beat youself up over it: learn, accept and move on.

Coming from a Community College the difference is very obvious. The one thing I brag about most about my school now is that my peers are on a completely different intellectual level now. They are always eager to learn and better themselves.

Sebastian

Over the past year I have learned a lot about myself. I would like to convince myself from an earlier time that the career path I chose is the right one for me. I would tell myself the following. When people say, "The sky is the limit," I feel a strong urge to guide them towards my career path. Ever since I was young I fantasized of flying, as most people do. As high school graduation loomed closer, I could not decide what I would do as a career. I decided to follow my dreams and started pilot school. Another huge factor in my decision is the fact that I am fascinated to meeting people and seeing new places. Being a professional pilot is the perfect career for me because it allows me to follow my dreams, meet new people, and see new places. For me, the sky is not the limit, the sky is my office.

Lydia

If I could go back in time to my high school senior self, I would say one thing: “Relax!” College is not this big scary experience that I thought it was going to be. Coming from a small town in North Carolina, I was somewhat apprehensive of moving to a college town, sharing a dorm room with a complete stranger, walking down the hallway half-naked to take a shower, and every other experience that comes along with being a college freshman. But the thing is, everyone is in the same boat as you. Every other kid there is scared out of their mind and worried that somehow they’re going to mess everything up (which will never happen, you future college students). After a few weeks there, everyone is best friends and you’re comfortable enough to finally relax and take a deep breath. College is one of the best experiences of your life and I just wish I could have realized how much fun I was going to have instead of worrying for months before move-in day. So, to my past-tense self: have fun packing for college and get ready for the time of your life!

There are many activites and clubs so you are sure to find something you are interested in.

Cessely

UNCW is a beautiful campus with a friendly, laid-back atmosphere and quirky lovable professors.

I would tell myself to sign up for more honors and AP courses. It really makes a difference if you can get your basics such as English and History out of the way so you can dive straight into your major. This is especially helpful when you are not a hundred percent confident about your choice of a major. I would tell myself to apply to more universities as well. I only applied to three universities, but this was because I was afraid that I would not be accepted; however, I now realize that despite this fear I should have applied to multiple schools to broaden my options. I love UNCW, but I believe there are other universities that I could have attended that could offer a better program for my major.

Anyone who enjoys basking in the sun, the great outdoors and socializing with random fellow students, professors or faculty is a good fit for this university.

Bethany

I think the best thing about UNCW is the environment of the University. I have never had a teacher that would not help a student. Everyone is friendly and excited to be here. It makes learning and a college experience so much more meaningful.

I would go back and tell myself to get involved. There are many clubs that I could have become a part of and making a lot more friends. Having more obligations would have helped me meet new people and feel more a part of this university. It makes the experience richer and more than about going to class and getting good grades. It is about rounding your education, learning about different people, and helping others. For me, it would have made the transition from living at home to out on my own a whole lot better than coming here and not making an effort to be involved on campus.

The most frustrating thing about UNCW is housing. They don't have enough housing for the incoming freshmen or the people who want to stay on campus during their college years. They do a poor job with giving students what they sign up for.

Although my school is not very diverse, I think that the environment is extremely friendly and most people are very open to meeting new people and trying new things. UNCW is right near the beach, which is definitely a huge appeal to students. I think that Wilmington is a perfect city because it has the beach for a more calm and relaxing area, but it also has the city for shopping and going downtown. UNCW is getting harder to get into and I feel as if it is growing to be a reputable and prestigious school.

When I was in high school, my main focus about college was the social aspect. I could not wait to have that freedom that came along with going to college. While these expectations were accurate, I would advise my high school self to be more expectant of the heavy workload and the busy schedules that were to come. Suddenly, I had less free time than I expected and this took me off guard. Also, I would advise myself to care less about what people think of me and my reputation. College differs from high school because it is much bigger and more impervious to cliques and rumors. College gives students a real chance to find their place in the world and figure out who they are without having to worry about silly high school drama and gossip. I wasted most of my freshman year on caring too much about others' opinions and I ended up losing my true self. I would definitely advise myself to focus more on becoming the person I want to be instead of trying to be someone that I thought others would like.

This school is not as ethnically diverse as other schools. Most of the students are caucasion, so someone that is not caucasion would have to be okay with the little diversity that this school has. Also, because this school has a great social environment, but is also very academically established, the student would need to know how to balance his or her academics and social life.

Emory

UNCW is a very friendly southern school, located conveniently near the beach, city, and town.

Knowing what I know now about college life, if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to actually study. Being a straight “A” high school student, I thought I had everything under control and didn’t think that it actually pertained to me when adults said “College is a lot different than high school.” I realized early on that the way things are graded are a lot more harsh than in high school, mainly because there are less grades being recorded. Because of this, every fraction of a point counts immensely. I would tell my high school self to not get distracted so easily and spend a lot more time in the library, and that as rough at it is at the time, it will pay off at the end of the semester.

I would say the huge variety of UNCW's dining options makes it hard to stay healthy; however, I suspect this is the same for any university.

Garrett

I wish that I had known that the beach was as close as it was. I would have brought more beach supplies and my car. The rumor of not being allowed to have a car for the first year is not true.

People that love the beach should attend the school. Other people that should attend the school should include: people who care greatly about the environment, surfers, and people that lve other people.

University of North Carolina Wilmington administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.