Wilmington, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of North Carolina Wilmington

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to relax and not be so anxious about leaving home. I would say that home-cooked meals are by far better than anything a dining hall or restaurant can provide. To be surrounded by family is something that I would miss greatly-appreciate it all now. Even though I know I missed many things about living at home, I would assure myself that I would meet people who would become life-long friends, and experience things that would make great memories. The most important thing I would tell myself is “You are stronger than you think.”

Anyone can attend this school and feel welcome. The atmosphere is very relaxed, and everyone is friendly. There is not a "kind" of person- everyone fits.

Shaunte

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, my first advice would be to not procrastinate and to apply for as many scholarships an grants; whether I felt like doing them or not! The second advise I'd give is to take as many oppurtunities that you can because they look good on your college transcript and can also shape you into a greater person than you are now! My last advise would be to be careful of the friends you choose to be around with. Know that they are not worth wasting your time when you could be doing school work!

The worst thing about my university is the rising of the tuitions each year along with new buildings being built on campus at the same time. The rising of our school's tuition is what i find to be the worst thing because not everyone has rich parents who can pay for their college fare. Due to the economy, finding jobs can be a rarity making it harder to pay for college on your own!

The most frustrating thing about my university is the fact that there are a lot of students on campus with different varieties of how they would like to get to their classes on such small sidewalks. Whether it is walking, skateboarding, biking, or rollerblading, these three ways of commuting to class, makes it had for us to get to class without getting hit or run over!

Calli

Knowing now what I know about college, I'd have a lot of advice for my high school self. First of all, I'd start by telling myself it's a lot more work than high school is. College takes drive and a lot of patience. I believe that college takes a lot of preparation. You need to be ready to begin each day. You need to have each class's homework done before the beginning of those classes. You will also need to learn time management. When in college, you need to be able to manage your time well, if you don't you'll have time for nothing else besides school. My advice to myself would also be to not stress. Stressing only causes more of a headache. College is a big change and one that you need to be ready for. Take some time before you begin a semester to prepare yourself. Another piece of advice I would offer is to take some time for yourself. All in all, college is a big change. I would suggest taking it slow and not sweating the small stuff. After all, slow and steady wins the race.

Coral

I really liked the layout of the campus. It was just the right size and everything was easily accessible. It also was very welcoming which helped solidify my choice.

For the most part I am extremely happy with how my undergraduate career went. But if I was given the opportunity to go back and talk to my high school self I would have a few things to advise. I would definitely focus on time management. I would tell myself to really manage my time more wisely. UNCW offers so many things in the way of classes, social events and opportunities. I would say try a lot in the beginning, but don't take on too much. It's great to be social, but also don't overload yourself on classes, clubs, sports, and friends because something will give. I would also tell myself to apply for more scholarships. Financially, the school doesn't offer as many scholarship for out of state students so search for as many as possible! Otherwise, just have fun, enjoy the experience, and make those long lasting relationships that help you make it through the tough times. I wouldn't change a thing about my undergraduate choices, so I would tell myself to trust my instincts and make the right choices. And good luck!

I love the community feel to UNCW. The school is extremely focused on making students feel welcome and it offers a wide range of courses for everyone.

olga

They are intrested in their studies and are very diverse.

They are intrested in their studies and are very diverse.

I would apply to all scholarships and grants early. I would research my options for colleges with more time and I would focus more on my school work.

A person that likes to go out and have fun. Someone that is looking for a great balance between academics and leisure time. Someone that wants to get involved and enjoys the beach and humidity.

Of course the beach is my favorite part of UNCW. But I also love the size the campus is constantly growing but the school has a close nit community and doesn't feel like a larger school. There is always something happening on campus. The only thing that I can think of that some people may not like is the lack of a football team. However I don't think we are lacking in school spirit. Everyone gets very excited about basketball games.

What are your classes like?

Being a Freshman and taking classes that are fairly random can be frustrating at times. I'm taking two science classes this semester which is pretty difficult. They aren't too hard by themselves but the tests do require studying. I'm also taking Intermediate French because I took it in high school and have found that French at UNCW is surprisingly fun.

As a Freshman this past year, I've been taking mostly basic studies courses that are slightly meaningless. However, I've thoroughly enjoyed all of them. I have only two lecture hall classes and one of those is a geology class. The class is prehistoric life and even with 100+ students the professor knows almost everyone's name. All of my professors are very accessible after class and love to help out with any questions you may have on the material. Club Randall (the library) is quite a popular place to be. It's fairly full at all times of the day to the extent that it can be almost impossible to find an open computer. But that's ok, because even if you don't bring your own laptop and can't find a computer you can rent a laptop for a few hours.

I would definitely agree that most of the people here enjoy the beach and it's the primary reason they chose to attend this school. However no one stays at a school just for the beach. I would also agree that most of people that attend UNCW are attractive but we are far from stupid or lazy. Classes are challenging despite the misleading location.

Kathryn

I would of adviced myself to be more patient and not so wrapped up in myself and my social life. I should of taken everything more slowly and not just to make my parents happy. I also would if asked myself not to drop out of highschool and actually finish as having a GED is fine but you miss out on so much experience.

University of North Carolina Wilmington administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.