Rochester, NY
University of Rochester

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Rochester

Thomas

The "college experience" is an extremely subjective term that I rarely use anymore. Back when I was in high school, to me the "college experience" included going to football games, huge lectures, frat parties, and just a lot of drinking . Before I graduated from high school, I decided exactly what I wanted to do with my life. I want to be a professional opera singer. Now, I attend one of the top music schools in the world and am at the top of my class. I work very hard and learn a great deal of new information every day. So, my idea of the "college experience" changed drastically. I've never actually done any of the things I used the think this experience included. When you are looking at colleges, you first have to decide what you want to get out of it. Because, you make the experience. It is whatever you decide you want it to be. If you have your list of goals and you find a college that meets a lot of or all of them, you've found the perfect fit. It is quite different for everyone. There is no cookie-cutter answer to this.

I attend the Eastman School of Music at the University of Rochester. Being a music school, the most frustrating thing is the lack of sufficient practice space for students.

A person who isn't talented and/or unwilling to work should not come here. It is very competitive.

Jill

Quiet reserved friendly helpful polite

Quiet reserved friendly helpful polite

The best advice that I could would be for the student to really follow their gut feeling when comming to a school. I chose the school I am attending because it was the best school that I applied too, however my gut told me I would be happier at another school. Now a year has gone by and for that entire first year I was miserable. The food was terrible, the classes were incredibly hard, and I did not like any of the people I met. I considered transferring many times throughout the year, but figured it would be easier to just stick to my school and get through it. I always wonder if I would be happier at the school I almost chose. I would also advise to take the first year and explore different majors. Don't just jump into a major expecting to like it. It may not be for you. I made that mistake and ended up hating all of my classes. I have since found a new major and enjoy it, but my first try was not right for me. Just go with your gut and you'll be fine.

The campus because it is very nice and has an underground tunnel system which is great in the winter.

Andrew

Do your homework, find out what colleges fit what you expect college to be and are strong in fields you want to major in. After that go visit them.

The people are very easy to get along with; you can meet and become friends with just about anyone. Students often work together to study for tests, work on labs, etc.

People who may have a few different ideas on what they want to do with thier lives, there is a lot of flexibility regaurding course choices and only one mandatory class which is a freshman writing course. The Science, Political Science, and History departments are very strong at this school.

Suhaniya

friendly enough, just dont trust them with your life

friendly enough, just dont trust them with your life

Location, quality, and tuition are all very important, but when making your decision, go for the college that has the best facilities to enrich your career goals. For example, if you are interested in research, find a school that has access to good on and off campus labs and is known for undegrad research. Also, despite pricey tuition bills, if its the right school for you, go for it. There are options such as financial aid, and grants but if those don't work out don't quit on the school. Take out loans and defer till after graduation because it pays to invest in your education.

get to know campus life a bit before classes start so you dont miss out

Skylar

Graduates of Rochester public high schools who enroll at the University of Rochester stand to receive up to $100,000

What are your classes like?

current science and technology research happening at Rochester

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Two minutes of time, looking at the U of R experience.

What's the Greek scene like?

We continue our tour of campus life with a look at the Fraternities and Sororities of the U of R.

Describe the dorms.

Take the first leg of our dorm tour as we introduce you to the Freshman dormitories

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

This is a mockumentary in the style of "Behind the Music" about the life of URBee, the mascot for the U of R

A place where a student has the freedom to focus on themselves and their futures.

I would want the students to personally know what they want without opinions from their parents (which may override what they want to do, even though that didn't happen to me). I would hope that students and parents would be open and on the same page for what type of school to look for. Don't be concerned about getting in- go for it! Try it! Be concerned about truly representing who you are on the application they give you. They are giving you their focus, their time, and a wonderful opportunity. Remember- they aren't there you see you fail; they want to help you succeed!

The most frustrating thing I found was with the financial aid given. I am a student of Eastman School of Music which is part of the University of Rochester. I am origionally from CA, and since things are so much more expensive there my family, on paper, looks more wealthy than we actually are- my parents are barely making payments now and we are really scared about figuring out a way to be able to send my younger sister off to college next year.

Matthew

I looked at over 30 colleges when applying; all of different rank, location and concentrations. Though not my first choice Rochester has been a perfect fit. It offered what classes I wanted to take. There is a good balance between class work, outside work, and social life. I remember the first time i walked onto campus it just felt right-might be corny to say-but you have to able to envision yourself there. Do an overnight trip and really get to know some of the other students, staff and faculty because they are the factors that make the difference, not the weather.

motivated, creative, outgoing

too much work and not enouhg play!

Tasha

I would advice students and parents to do alot of research about the college. I think it's important to go visit the campus and get a field of campus life. Furthermore, I think it would be a good idea to learn about the different academic departments and its professors. When you first begin to choose classes take a diverse amount of courses to see discover what truly interests you. When on campus become active in different organizations you may like and feel you can make a difference in.

An individual that loves to learn, be exposed to different cultures or topics, and enjoys to be involved. I think a person that has good time management time and communication skills would also succeed.

I honestly have nothing negative to say about my University, I absolutely love it!! If I had to pick one thing that I didn't completely love, it would have to be the food. I would like a larger variety of food, and possibly more healthy food.

Nathaly

Make sure you know what kind of school you want. Students, try to take any advice your parents give you because they want the best for you. Parents, respect their decision because they are not kids anymore, also, let them make their own mistakes. Just give them your support and give them some space, if they really want to go to school is because they know better.

University of Rochester is not an easy or a cheap school. So I think that anyone that really wants to do good and is willing to sacrifice in order to achive their goals should attend this school.

I always tell them how good worldwide my school is and how much they help in any way I need it.

Krista

Rochester's curriculum is great for anyone entering college unsure of their major because its lack of a core curriculum lets you explore your interests before you have to declare a major. My biggest disappointment in UR is that its administration's priority is very obviously public image over student satisfaction. The majority of its resources go toward trying to live up to its reputation as the small yet excellent research university recently deemed one of the "25 new Ivies," but in the process it neglects students' needs and ignores students' criticisms. This last year, there was a lot of controversy over the new meal plans that will take effect in the fall. The new plan changes meal plan requirements, making them based on residence rather than class year, so that ideally those with access to a kitchen will have smaller plans that those without. But the details of the plan are only changing which students will be bound by an expensive and unnecessary too-large plan.

Diversity has been a very popular topic on campus the last few years. UR is more diverse than many campuses, but many times groups won't interact with each other. This is something the student government, administration and student body are all working to improve.

I've had classes with over 300 other students and classes with only 5. Intro classes are generally large, but as you get more advanced and specialized, that will change. Rochester advertises the fact that all professors are required to do research as well, but it's important to look at this fact from another perspective: all researchers at the University are required to teach. Unfortunately, this rule makes it much more likely that you will have professors who are not meant to teach. I've been at this school two years and have already lost count of the number of professors I've had who, though they are very smart people, cannot teach.

Most people don't leave campus much, especially if they don't have a car, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. It means there are always people around campus, and it makes campus more lively.

University of Rochester administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.