Rochester, NY
University of Rochester

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Rochester

I would definitely advise parents not to pressure their children to tour more than three schools in their college search- I think that looking at ten schools myself, I am able to say that it was really far too many... and quite overwhelming, to say the least! I was told that the college a student gets into can and will eventually become the school that they always really wanted in the end, and I find that to be a beautiful truth that I myself encountered in coming to the University of Rochester. I think also that parents should really encourage their child to explore where their curiosities take them, and not place so much emphasis on being practical in what one studies. People my age are pressured to grow up far too fast for my tastes, and are often steered away from taking courses that challenge the way they've always been taught to think about themselves and the world in which they live. Learning how to think critically about our world is paramount in our college education, and I think that there will always be enough time to find a career in years down the road.

Students who enjoy a rather small campus would enjoy this place. Many students will for the most part all know one another and if you don't like getting lost in the crowd this might be a good option to look into. The schlly.

Kirk

Make sure they really do good in school. Personally the first year is going to look like you don't really need to do as much work because you got into the school. No, stay 110% focused. One key in my college life is money, try to save money now and keep in good contact with your money offices on campus and do try to build and wonderful bond with counselors, they do have miracles up there sleves. Oh yes, GOOD LUCK!

I'd have to say that the learning enviroment and as well as the social life of campus is a great place to want to learn. Over the past couple of years I've learned to bascially learn how to live on my own. The facultiy at the school are very considerate and most do have the drive to want to teach the material.

Money is really a key factor. I've been struggling since the time I set foot on this campus and the Bursar and Financial Aid office haven't really been there to be a huge help. If more help could have been there for me, this school would have been just too perfect.

Thomas

The "college experience" is an extremely subjective term that I rarely use anymore. Back when I was in high school, to me the "college experience" included going to football games, huge lectures, frat parties, and just a lot of drinking . Before I graduated from high school, I decided exactly what I wanted to do with my life. I want to be a professional opera singer. Now, I attend one of the top music schools in the world and am at the top of my class. I work very hard and learn a great deal of new information every day. So, my idea of the "college experience" changed drastically. I've never actually done any of the things I used the think this experience included. When you are looking at colleges, you first have to decide what you want to get out of it. Because, you make the experience. It is whatever you decide you want it to be. If you have your list of goals and you find a college that meets a lot of or all of them, you've found the perfect fit. It is quite different for everyone. There is no cookie-cutter answer to this.

I attend the Eastman School of Music at the University of Rochester. Being a music school, the most frustrating thing is the lack of sufficient practice space for students.

A person who isn't talented and/or unwilling to work should not come here. It is very competitive.

Jill

Quiet reserved friendly helpful polite

Quiet reserved friendly helpful polite

The best advice that I could would be for the student to really follow their gut feeling when comming to a school. I chose the school I am attending because it was the best school that I applied too, however my gut told me I would be happier at another school. Now a year has gone by and for that entire first year I was miserable. The food was terrible, the classes were incredibly hard, and I did not like any of the people I met. I considered transferring many times throughout the year, but figured it would be easier to just stick to my school and get through it. I always wonder if I would be happier at the school I almost chose. I would also advise to take the first year and explore different majors. Don't just jump into a major expecting to like it. It may not be for you. I made that mistake and ended up hating all of my classes. I have since found a new major and enjoy it, but my first try was not right for me. Just go with your gut and you'll be fine.

The campus because it is very nice and has an underground tunnel system which is great in the winter.

Andrew

Do your homework, find out what colleges fit what you expect college to be and are strong in fields you want to major in. After that go visit them.

The people are very easy to get along with; you can meet and become friends with just about anyone. Students often work together to study for tests, work on labs, etc.

People who may have a few different ideas on what they want to do with thier lives, there is a lot of flexibility regaurding course choices and only one mandatory class which is a freshman writing course. The Science, Political Science, and History departments are very strong at this school.

Suhaniya

friendly enough, just dont trust them with your life

friendly enough, just dont trust them with your life

Location, quality, and tuition are all very important, but when making your decision, go for the college that has the best facilities to enrich your career goals. For example, if you are interested in research, find a school that has access to good on and off campus labs and is known for undegrad research. Also, despite pricey tuition bills, if its the right school for you, go for it. There are options such as financial aid, and grants but if those don't work out don't quit on the school. Take out loans and defer till after graduation because it pays to invest in your education.

get to know campus life a bit before classes start so you dont miss out

Skylar

Graduates of Rochester public high schools who enroll at the University of Rochester stand to receive up to $100,000

What are your classes like?

current science and technology research happening at Rochester

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Two minutes of time, looking at the U of R experience.

What's the Greek scene like?

We continue our tour of campus life with a look at the Fraternities and Sororities of the U of R.

Describe the dorms.

Take the first leg of our dorm tour as we introduce you to the Freshman dormitories

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

This is a mockumentary in the style of "Behind the Music" about the life of URBee, the mascot for the U of R

A place where a student has the freedom to focus on themselves and their futures.

I would want the students to personally know what they want without opinions from their parents (which may override what they want to do, even though that didn't happen to me). I would hope that students and parents would be open and on the same page for what type of school to look for. Don't be concerned about getting in- go for it! Try it! Be concerned about truly representing who you are on the application they give you. They are giving you their focus, their time, and a wonderful opportunity. Remember- they aren't there you see you fail; they want to help you succeed!

The most frustrating thing I found was with the financial aid given. I am a student of Eastman School of Music which is part of the University of Rochester. I am origionally from CA, and since things are so much more expensive there my family, on paper, looks more wealthy than we actually are- my parents are barely making payments now and we are really scared about figuring out a way to be able to send my younger sister off to college next year.

Matthew

I looked at over 30 colleges when applying; all of different rank, location and concentrations. Though not my first choice Rochester has been a perfect fit. It offered what classes I wanted to take. There is a good balance between class work, outside work, and social life. I remember the first time i walked onto campus it just felt right-might be corny to say-but you have to able to envision yourself there. Do an overnight trip and really get to know some of the other students, staff and faculty because they are the factors that make the difference, not the weather.

motivated, creative, outgoing

too much work and not enouhg play!

Tasha

I would advice students and parents to do alot of research about the college. I think it's important to go visit the campus and get a field of campus life. Furthermore, I think it would be a good idea to learn about the different academic departments and its professors. When you first begin to choose classes take a diverse amount of courses to see discover what truly interests you. When on campus become active in different organizations you may like and feel you can make a difference in.

An individual that loves to learn, be exposed to different cultures or topics, and enjoys to be involved. I think a person that has good time management time and communication skills would also succeed.

I honestly have nothing negative to say about my University, I absolutely love it!! If I had to pick one thing that I didn't completely love, it would have to be the food. I would like a larger variety of food, and possibly more healthy food.

University of Rochester administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.