Mobile, AL
University of South Alabama

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of South Alabama

The University of South Alabama is the perfect balance of small college campus versus large college campus, where everyone knows one another but the opportunities and activities are endless.

Thinking back to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to be overwhelmed by the amount of students that will be attending classes and on campus. I knew everyone in high school. While my college is not entirely too big, the sheer amount of students that are on campus at any given time is mind blowing to a high school student. College students crowd every place available: the library, the cafeteria, the classrooms, and they even parade in the streets like they are impervious to oncoming traffic. It can be difficult to get used to the huge student body. Also, students range in age from newly graduated high school students to people old enough to be my grandparents. College students are going to come from everywhere, from every walk of life, and have drastically differing views about the world. This experience can be daunting, but in the end, it is a rewarding experience that will not only benefit your future career, but also personal and professional relationships .

The worst part of attending the University of South Aalabama is the parking. We have four different parking zones, and each student is assigned to one parking zone for the entire year. It is an extreme problem that the university refuses investigate. Some zones have too much parking space while others have too little and often students cannot find adequate parking and are forced to park elsewhere. The university cracks down on this illegal parking by writing tickets. They need to either build more parking lots or do away with the assigned parking.

Elisa

I think our buildings are definitely unique. They've been doing a lot of construction and upgrading at South in the last couple years, and I'm really impressed. South also has a lot of really awesome nature features. We have a big beautiful bell tower and Alumni Plaza, Glenn Sebastian nature trails, a disk golf course, a man made swamp, and pretty much the best Rec Center ever! The new buildings look very modern and cool, while the older buildings still shine with history. Did I mention we actually have alligators in our swamp?

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

I feel I've changed a little, and it's mostly for the best. I've had times where I slipped up in school, but coming back from the consequences helped me out in the long run. I've definitely learned more about what I want to do and what I want to focus on. I've also learned that procrastination is a demon that I will be fighting for the rest of my life haha!

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

Is once every 2 hours too much?? I call my mom so many times that she's had to tell me to calm down because I'm running her cell phone bill up! It really depends on how close you are with the people back home (and their minutes!) They'll usually give you really good advice when you need it the most!

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

Absolutely NOT! We have these flyers all over South with information taken from a survey they did here. They say roughly 60% of students drink 0-3 drinks (a drink is 1 shot/mixed drink/beer). There are many people that are not ashamed to say they aren't drinking because they are the DD, or they just don't like the feeling. I've even seen people who don't drink partner up with people who love to drink so they can play beer pong without having to drink the beer! There are so many more things to do at parties besides drink, like making friends (NETWORKING!). Don't be afraid to get out there because you're scared someone will judge you for not drinking. Some drunken idiot might say something, but I guarantee that most people will respect you for standing your ground.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

Freshman year, I struggled with time management. These classes are designed for students to put effort and interest into them, because after all, you are paying to take them. You realize how easy your classes were in high school, because you always knew what to expect. Learning to take time and write out my schedule saved me from a downhill path in college.

I wish someone would've told me that even though it's a pretty tough year, be prepared for sophomore year, because it WILL make some of your freshman classes look like cake!

Why did you decide to go to this school?

At first, I never really considered the University of South Alabama, simply because it was in the town I grew up in. I wanted to get away from Mobile, and at the time I started seriously thinking about college, USA didn't have a marching band. When USA got a football team and marching band, I considered it a backup plan. A couple high school wrecks and problems like overdrawing my bank account made me realize I probably wouldn't survive without my mom. I ended up choosing USA because of proximity to my mom, marching band, and it was also my cheapest option.

There is always something happening on campus. From fundraisers to hiking trips to swimming and kick-boxing lessons, there is always something to do. Our football games are always packed, and the crowd at the basketball games is decent. USA's career center is constantly hosting webinars and workshops. There are many music venues, clubs, cafes, and lounges in the area, and did I mention the campus's recreational center? It's free to all students and includes a weight room, indoor track, indoor and outdoor pool, hot tub, all the exercise equipment you could ever think of, and a rock wall!

The atmosphere at South is very diverse. There are students from all over the world, in addition to all over the country. There are people of many different races, religions, financial background, etc. There are many different personalities, also. Some students show up to class in their pajamas, some in jeans and v-necks, and some in business attire. Almost everyone you meet is friendly. Going back to the residence area, however, there is a small problem with the loud, music-blaring, thug-types that is beginning to compromise the learning environment in that area. I do believe that it won't be a problem for long, though, because the students here are determined, and like to start petitions for things like this.

The academics at South are awesome! The classes are small, professors know your name, and participation is encouraged (sometimes even rewarded!). I have never felt like a lost little kid, and I've always known where to get help. The professors make it known that they want you to succeed. There are many academic organizations and honor societies on campus, and countless other rewards for successful students. I just found out today that I was nominated for the International Scholar Laureate Program (ISLP) Delegation on Business next June 2012 in my choice of Australia, China or the US! The class schedule here is very convenient, and most professors understand that students have jobs. I'm currently working on a Marketing major with a concentration on International Business, as well as Foreign Languages and Literature, Spanish. The requirements are not easy, but I feel that it's worth the effort. I absolutely love my classes!

Thomas

For the most part, the professors will not learn your name unless you frequently communicate, which is a good idea. My favorite class that I have taken this far is Criminology tought by Mrs. Stephanie Fisher. She was a great interactive teacher who made learning fun! My least favorite class has been Judicial Processes, I left that class feeling as if I could have taught myself all of the information on my own, because I did! Most students study around 5 hours a week in my opinion. For the most part class participation is common, in fact several of my teacher's will call on you suddenly to discuss the topic at hand. My major is Criminal Justice with a minor in psychology. I spend time with professor's outside of class on a need to basis. For example, if i have a question about the topic we covered, or a question regarding a study guide I will email the professor. Overall, I typicall send one or two emails to each professor every other week or so. I feel the academic requirements in general 4-year programs are excessive. I have taken numerous classes that I believe have no relation to my major or minor and is simply a waste of time and money. However, the education here is geared to both getting a job and learning for educational purposes. Some classes focus on one or both.

Keri

Academics at the University of South Alabama are superb. Every professor I've had has taken the time to know students' names, even in large lecture hall classes. Not only do they know your names, they truly care about your success in their class. Professors at the University of South Alabama have required office hours, but they will also tell you that if you can't make those hours, they are willing to make appointments for your convenience. I've enjoyed all my classes, but my favorite has been general chemistry. My professor incorporated group discussion and class participation into every class period. This was very beneficial on test day. She also gave us several bonus opportunities, one being a shadowing experience in her research lab. South students have high ambitions, but we are not so focused on our own goals that we can't help each other. As a member of the honors program, I have the opportunity to connect with classmates and upperclassmen which comes in handy when I need help with homework or I'm trying to decide which professors to take. My major is biomedical sciences, which is heavy in chemistry courses. The benefit of the biomedical sciences major is the 3rd and 4th year classes being very similar to first year medical school courses. This major is really best for pre-health professional students. Professors are very involved, even outside of the classroom. One of the biomedical sciences professors even has a halloween party at her house every year for students! We also hold potlucks and pancake breakfasts to network with professors. The University of South Alabama is very reasonable with its academic requirements. First and second year is spent taking general education courses, and you have a choice of many different courses to meet this requirement. The education you receive at the University of South Alabama will prepare you for success in the workforce. When employers see your degree from South, they know you have outstanding training.

Overall, South Alabama is an awesome school in terms of academia and educational facilities. However, there are a few kinks that need to be worked out when it comes to the aspect of housing and residence life on campus. Nevertheless, South is still a wonderful campus to be involved with.

Football games, baseball games, and anything going on with Jaguar Productions are the most popular activities on our campus. Students enjoy many activities from creating their own personalized bumper stickers to glassblowing demonstrations. We also have a HUGE variety of student organizations at South. In terms of partying, South is a dry campus, so no partying is allowed on campus.

The students at South are very diverse, even down to the fraternities and sororities. There is a wide range of international students. Majority of the campus is very kind and friendly when it comes to accepting such diversity. Here at South, we accept differences, rather than rejecting them.

Frat brothers, sorority sisters, foreign students (many of them)

Jay

When you step off campus what do you see?

USA is on the west side of Mobile city. The area immediately surrounding the campus is mostly residential, so there are many neighborhoods nearby. However, there are several business chains at the nearby intersection, including fast-food, deli restaurants, a few bars, and a tanning salon. Aesthetically, the campus and immediately surroundings are very pleasing. It seems like more of a small town in this particular area rather than a city.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to attend the University of South Alabama primarily because of the location. I grew up in Grand Bay, AL, which is not far from campus. My family still lives there so it's convenient when I want to visit them. Also, I am applying to the College of Medicine at South. It is much easier to get accepted the Med School if you also complete a bachelor's degree at South.

One of the best things to get involved with is Greek life. There are organizations for both men and women, and they are very involved on campus. I am a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon at South, so I speak from experience when I say that it is a great idea to go Greek. We encourage good academics, we do community service, and we are leaders on campus. This is how I met all of my friends and continue to meet new friends every day.

There are a few large lecture hall classes, with about 100 students, but most classes have about 30 students. The upper level classes tend to be smaller classes. This makes it easy to get to know your professor, because he/she does not teach 500 students per semester. I often go to my professor during office hours and talk about facts in or related to the course that catch my interest. This gives endless opportunity to improve oneself professionally. One of the toughest classes I've ever taken was Organic Chemistry. The professor, Dr. Rogers, was one of the best I've had yet. A year after finishing the course, I still drop by his office from time to time to chat.

One stereotype of students at the University of South Alabama is that we are below average or mediocre students. USA accepts almost any student who graduates high school, so students from other universities may look down on us as lacking exclusivity. In truth, the school is open to most applicants to give people a chance at success. Even those who did not perform exceptionally in high school still have a second chance to prove themselves. Those students who put in extra effort in high school are rewarded with awesome scholarships. This is a much better incentive than just denying students a chance at great professional careers. The academics at USA remain very competitive with larger universities, and in some cases are better.

Brandon

I do not beleive the stereotypes are completely true at USA. It is not a white people school but a very diverse campus with a mixture of various ethnicities, religions, and cultures. Also it is not very dangerous. There is a police force that is located on-campus that patrols 24/7.

What do students complain about most?

Many times students at USA complain about the fact that there is nothing good to eat in cafeteria and that they usually serve the sames things all the time. The fruit is many times old unless it is the freshly cut fruit.

What are your classes like?

The classes are like your typical classes. They are generally fairly large in the core classes like Biology, Chemistry, History, etc. The classes more directed towards the majors in the upper levels are relatively small offering more personal relations with instructors and much rapid pace of learning.

Describe a typical weekend.

A typical weekend would include going home to the coast. Many people go home to visit family because the majority of students at USA are residents of mobile or local areas.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The best place to get work done is NOT in your bed in your dorm but rather in the library. There is no better place than that on campus.

My favorite campus tradicion is the teepeeing of the trees during hollhomecoming week. The school provides tissue paper for the students to go roll the tress in honor of the festivities. It is always highly attended and is a blast!

When you step off campus what do you see?

Whwn I step off campus I see stores stores and more stores. The campus is greatly located in the heart of the city of mobile. There are restaurants and stores all around the school. There is actually a bookstore across the street from the school where people can rent and trade in books also.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Sports is very big at USA. The campus takes much pride in their football team that was undefeated for the first two years of their existance. About 15 to 20,000 people usually show up for home games. The basketball games are also very popular at USA. Soccer is not too popular nor baseball. However, the USA students are very supportive of their sports teams. Many people show up for games.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

A day that I will never forget would be the day that a few friends of mine went to the Bell Tower after a bible to eat the dinner that we have bought from the Delta Deli (A restaurant on-campus) The tower is very beautiful and there are fountains around it. It was very nice and we have a good time.

Something that is unique about my campus is that it has a state of the art recreation center that includes everything from indoor and outdoor pool, indoor track and soccer field. It has racketball rooms, pingpong, basketball court, volleball nets, work-out weights, and free classes for all types of work outs.

What's the dating scene like?

The dating scene is very much invisible for the most part on campus. I never see any two people always together save a few couples that I know of personally. I know that people do date, but the invisibility of couples walking around campus causes me to believe that many people are enjoying the single life on campus.

Describe the dorms.

The dorm are very nice here. They are actually not considered dorms because they include restrooms in each room. They have dividers to provide privacy. Spacious desk to work at and big closets for clothes. Some of the residence halls have separate rooms and/or kitchens. The new dorms called Stokes Hall are single person rooms where they share a bathroom with one person. They are designed almost like unfurnished hotel rooms. They are very luxurious.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

USA was my second choice until I came to visit the campus. After visiting the campus I knew without a shadow of a doubt that this was the campus for me. The moderness of the campus, the facilities, and the Spanish program that they offered attracted me to this school. The one thing that made me choose south was that the residence halls included a bathroom inside the room rather than down the hall.

I am involved with The Gathering and Xi Alpha Christian oraganization. I am also the president of the Spanish Honor Society. Students never leave their dorms open. Athletes are not very popular here because the sport teams are relatively new. I am studying if I am up at 2a.m. on a Tuesday. I met one of my two closest friends here at my local church and the other in the cafeteria of USA. People party quite often. Fraternities and Sororities are not very important but are popular on campus. To have fun without drinking could involve going to the movies, or having movie night in the dorm room, or go bowling.

There are many races and religions on this campus. I have not seen nor have I heard of an racial prejudice nor religious persecution. People are relatively respective of the individuality here on campus. People where shorts and t-shirts for girls and jeans and t-shirt for guys mainly. Usually the same type people interact all the time. Most people are local from Alabama, mainly montgomery. People don't talk about how much they will earn. Many people hope that they will even be able to get a job after graduation.

The academics are very good at USA. About all my proffesors know me by name. My favorite class is Spanish and least favorite English. I study many hours each day. Class participation is not very common in the classes. I rarely see students having intellectual conversations outside of class. The most unique class that I have taken is Portuguese. I believe that the school is geared towards learning for its own sake.

A common stereotype that is associated with my school is that it is a dangerous campus because crime rates seem to be high although crime is everywhere and not necessary unusually higher here. Another stereotype is that USA is a "white" school, but it is definately far from that. It is very diverse.

Alyssa

Honestly, I would give myself the advice to never give up on myself and never lose confidence and to always, ALWAYS try my best no matter what or who gets in my way.

The best thing about my school is the atmosphere. Everyone is friendly and helpful.

I wish I had known how hard it would be for me to get a job and make new friends.

Ebony

Many people feel their is minimal involvolvement in community service, organizations, etcetera (besides sports) on our campus. In actuality, there are many chances to get involved from donating books to illiterate children to chances talent shows, poetry readings, and bake sales to fund student organizations. Of course there are athletic events to look foward to, but there is so much more.

Drew

I believe that the school has very challenging teachers with a great student body. One main problem is that the student body does not back South Alabama as a school. South has a strong city-based pride, but the student pride lacks. This is proven by the attendance of students to Athletic events such as basketball games and football games. The biggest disappointment about this school is that it is a dry campus, which completely destroys any type of social aspect that could be held on campus. It is well known that college kids love to drink to have fun, and because of the dry campus, it takes all of the social aspects off of campus. Which also plays a danger factor when you consider the people who live on campus having to drive(probably impaired) back to campus after a social event is held off of campus, but I digress. What I love most about the school is its ability to expand, with our new president not afraid to spend the money to improve the landscape of our school and to implement new buildings to the school makes for the student body school spirit to increase. South encourages the usages of new ideas, which makes for a great learning environment, such as the new idea of Jag Bikes, which I think failed due to the lack of thinking of how to keep the bikes on campus. But having the encouragement of new ideas helps the learning environment.

When it comes to activities and groups, it is mostly well known throughout the student body that the Greek Life here cannot be taken seriously. Most of the guys in frats are ego-maniacs who were probably once at a division 1 school but dropped out due to the vast amount of parties and beer. Who then try to live out their dream at South Alabama. Due to this preconception you can find the best unifying activity to be any intramural sport. You have friends who come together and play sports, you have the free-agent system which helps people make new friends who have the same interest as them and you also have a great director who is friendly and interacts with players. I usually hang out with friends off of campus, who attend South Alabama, but because South Alabama lacks the social aspect of a college(due to the dry campus), any "fun" activity is always held off of campus. The biggest activity would have the be the Halloween party conducted by one of the off-campus frats, TKE. I met my closest friends through High School.

Most student are here for one reason and one reason only. And that is to get and education and then get the heck out. Which creates a school that lacks a social life, which makes the college semi-uninteresting to student coming from out of town. You most certainly can find the exuberant school-spirited students in the lot, but it's definitely not the majority of the student body. The attendance to athletic events lacks from the students, I have seen it in any sport that I've gone to watch, although our I have seen an increase in attendance to our new football team's games. Having the lack of social life makes the student body very friendly when it comes to academics. I have never felt so welcomed when it comes the point when I need help on a subject. Most students won't think twice when you ask them for assistance and will enjoy giving the help.

Any professor that I have had I have looked up to as a mentor. I believe since they're at a medium sized college that they feel the need to take a serious pride in the way they teach so they will be taken seriously. Which is exactly what I was looking for when I was going to college. These teachers do not stop at teaching you the course that they signed up to teach, they love giving you life lessons and also will answer any curious question that you might have on another subject. I have nothing but the utmost respect for any teacher that I have encountered at the University of South Alabama so far. And i hope that it will continue that way. The way most of the teachers run their classes makes for the students to have the need try hard to get a good grade, and learn something in the process, or fail if the student won't take the class seriously.

Due to the fact that South is a local, public College, people who generally decide to stay in Mobile to attend college are people who are wanting to focus on their education. They are not worried about attending a big college for the social aspect. But because of the high acceptance rate of the University of South Alabama, first-year drop-outs are very common. But I have found in my Sophomore year that the educated people are usually the only ones that make it to their second year.

University of South Alabama administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.