Mobile, AL
University of South Alabama

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of South Alabama

Alicia

I think that South Alabama is just the right size. It's not a huge campus, but it is well known around the area. We have a great football team, who were, until just recently, undefeated. We also have a lot of activities to get involved in, a great rec center, and many different clubs.

What are your classes like?

My classes are all pretty involved. Everyone speaks their mind and asks questions. I love that because sometimes others will ask a question I hadn't thought about.

I would have to say that jocks being competitive would be the biggest stereotype. It seems true to an extent.

I would have to say that the fraternaties and sororities are most popular. I know several girls in sororities. I am in Psi Chi, which is the psychology honors program. We like to do things to help cancer relief programs and community service. Sports are also a big part of the experience here. Many people get very involved with the football team, basketball, and soccer.

South Alabama is extremely diverse. We have students from all over the world. We have many from Saudi Arabia who have come here for their education. I have learned new things about the different cultures because our school is so diverse.

The professors are always willing to help in and outside of class. Many of my professors know most of their students by name. I am in some upper level psychology courses and class participation is very common.

G

The University of South Alabama is a great place to learn, meet exciting new friends, and mature into a well cultured and educated adult--standing ready to meet the next level of challenges that life has to throw at you.

There is no better word to describe South students other than 'Diverse.' Students from many different cultures and backgrounds are in attendance at South. Several years ago the school could primarily be described as a commuter type of school, but this dogma has disappeared as is evident in the recently constructed campus cafeteria, recreation center, apartment buildings/on campus housing, and Greek housing. In a walk across campus you may find students peacefully protesting the deforestation of trees by swinging in hammocks, marching with meticulous precision during ROTC classes, studying flowers outside in botany classes, throwing disc golf frisbees into the pond, wading in the swamp to catch bugs in environmental classes, being taught literature under a shade tree, shooting azimuths in engineering classes, and your normal, diverse student walking to class.

One great thing I found very attractive about South is the smaller class sizes. These smaller classes tend to cultivate a more personal learning environment and I often felt accountable for going to class because of this. Furthermore, South caters to a broad spectrum of academic interests and intellect while still maintaining academic rigor in all major disciplines. Students interested in the sciences will be challenged enough to pass professional school entrance exams and students in many other disciplines make it into other top graduate programs just as often. For those interested in education beyond the collegiate experience, the Honors Program may be an option for you (http://www.southalabama.edu/honors/). For those who want additional training outside of normal classroom hours, South offers a number of tutor programs for many of the challenging classes on campus.

melinda

I’m you from four years from now. There are a million things I could give you advice on, but most of it I know you won’t listen too. I will tell you that in the next few years you will change colleges, fight with financial aid, struggle in classes, realize that living with strangers stresses you out, fight with friends and your personal life will be in turmoil. Not all of it will be bad; the good will be really good. I want you to look at the people you call your friends right now. Most of them you will not talk to in four years from now; you won’t miss them either. So all of these things you are trying to do to impress them are useless. When you get where I am now, you are going to realize that you aren’t happy with yourself. So my advice to you is to stay true to yourself. Don’t try to fit in a mold. You can’t go anywhere in life if you do not accept yourself. You can only accept yourself if you are true to yourself.

The worst thing about South is that students often don't know where to go for answers. Help is available for most problems, but finding the correct place to find help can be difficult.

Jarred

Medical and Engineering departments and Sports teams.

Medical and Engineering departments and Sports teams.

In the event that I am able to travel back through time to the year 2002 and speak with my former self about college life, I will tell myself that college is for learning, but without occasionally setting aside time for relaxation, one may experience "burning out" or even depression. Do not relax too much, however, because hard work and dedication to the task at hand (learning how to be a good engineer) is paramount! For some the "best" option is to take some time after high school to join the work force and gain valuable knowledge and maturity. For others it is to continue their scholastic journey while they still have the mindset of a student. Choose wisely and be fanatic about that choice!

Angelique

The University of South Alabama, in comparison to similar schools, has more scholarships and financial aid available to prospective students. In-state tuition is offered to students from all along the Gulf Coast. They also offer apartment-style dorm rooms and updated facilities. The range of degree programs is impressive, as is their medical school. USA holds a high ranking among its peers.

On the edge of embarking on this new adventure of college - the commencement of your adult life, allow yourself time to stop and really consider who you are and what your purpose is in this life. Be sure to make wise decisions about the future; decisions which are truly your own - not your parents, friends, or other advisors. Take into consideration not only the things at which you excel, but more importantly, the things for which you have a passion. For it is passion more than ability that will carry you through the rest of your life. Do keep yourself in balance, however. Do not allow the emotions of the moment to override the wisdom and intelligence that have gotten you to this point in your life. Enjoy college. Be involved in student activites, build life-long relationships, but do not ruin your chances of success with a lack of judgment or a moment of weakness. From this point on, every decision you make will effect not only your future, but the future of those around you. Be aware of your uniqueness; you were created with a special purpose in mind - it's up to you to live it!

The University of South Alabama is a welcoming place for all students. Though it has been several years since I was a student there, from my experience, there are only good aspects of attending this university. From the available degree programs, to student activities, to dorm options, there is something to meet the needs of each student. The faculty members are genuinely interested and available to their students. Academics standards are high. Student life is great. The campus has a great lay-out and is easy to get around. Facilities are new and well-equipped.

Crystal

Your almost out of high school, one of the most important rites of passage in society. You will soon be on a college campus with a great deal of freedom and enjoyment, but also more responsibilities. At this time in your life you will be responsible for every decision and every opportunity you consider. Along with education comes picking a major and career, many upcoming freshmen enroll with their mission of being the next doctor, engineer, or lawyer set in their mind; however it is alright to be undecided your first year, explore your options. College is imagined in the social light rather than the educational aspect in the eyes of high school students. The social events such as football games are fun and memorable, but joining different organizations is just as fulfilling in enjoying your free time. My early years of college I was not as active in organizations as I should have been and it became apart of my regrets. On true beginning of being an adult meet as many good friends as possible. Mainly, through all the excitement and chaos of college keep in mind the reason why your there and experience college to the fullest. .

In high school all that was spoke to me was to focus on my grades and get my degree so i could obtain a good career and be successful. No spoke of the mystery and difficulty of being on my own. I wish I would have known hot to budget my spending money better and made wiser social decision. More importantly I wish I had been informed that it's okay not knowing first got to college. The feeling of uncertainty in my future career brought my stress level to an all time high during my sophomore year.

Any person who is antisocial, rude, not compassionate, or not willing to meet different people and try new positive things.

Jacqueline

One of the most valuable attributions of this school was the caliber of diversity within the classroom; making the classroom setting all the more interesting and engaging.

My college experience has exposed an insatiable interest to further my schooling and pursue my field of interest since completing my undergraduate degree. I fully expected my college experience to be an accomplishment of one simple goal: receiving my diploma. That quickly became an afterthought when I realized I was no longer looking at my schooling as a "reaching the finish line" undertaking, but more of a "What will I learn today?" experience. December 2010 marked two years since the completion of my undergraduate degree, and my appetite for more schooling has increased ten-fold as I find myself reminiscing on past classroom experiences. I lend this desire to my acquired academia at the University of South Alabama. I am eager to begin schooling again and with hopes that an opportunity will grant itself a window for me in the near future to accomplish this goal. I can only hope it will hold the many positive facets that my undergraduate experience at the University of South Alabama has granted me.

Anyone who has slacked off in high school and has made the assumption that undergraduate school is parallel to that agenda will not enjoy the demands this school requires. I feel the assumption is made that this school is a common "commuter" school in that anyone can attend. Many are quickly granted that their notion is incorrect once they begin there studies here.

Rudolph

That its alot better than high but its a much easier way to get a job. Because most jobs now req. you to have a degree so thats why its valuable to attended college and i recommmend everybody who doesn't have a degree in anything to go or go back.

I have just finished my first semester of college and I have gotten a lot out of it College is a great experience. Its a chance to meet new and different people. The classes themselves are interesting and enrollimg in alioberal arts program at a 2 year college is a great idea for those who arent so sure about what they want to do. Even though I know what I want to do it still is a great program to be in.

University of South Alabama administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.