William Paterson University of New Jersey Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for William Paterson University of New Jersey

Justin

I find William Paterson to be a great school to attend. I am a communications student and I was sold on the communications department here on campus. The radio station is fun to get involved in with a variety of shows to take part in or possibly pitch. The music variety is excellent to listen to as well. When it comes to the TV studio and club, the students are motivated with a professor who is exciting to learn from as he is knowledgeable at what he does. If there is one aspect the school needs to improve, it is the dining hall. The food over there can be middle-of-the-barrel at best, atrocious at worst! Thankfully, there are nice spots to eat around campus such as a local smokehouse and a QuickChek that is a walking distance away. Also, the campus is diverse so it is not hard to meet new people/make new friends. It can get rowdy in the residential buildings beyond quiet hours but the dorms are great to sleep in. In general, a superb university to attend courses and to create many enjoyable experiences prior to the post college life.

I love the campus and saw some old friends from high school. Sure Nursing and Performance are competitive, but WPU is the best college in New Jersey. One of my parents is a former alumni / graduate of William Paterson and introduced me to a few professors.

William Paterson University is overall a great place to learn, especially if you are involved in the communications, nursing or education programs. The school is pretty much known for those programs and most people get jobs right out of college. I would recommend looking at this school if you are interested in these areas of study.

Esilona

William Paterson University often gets a bad reputation due to its location, but despite neighboring town Paterson and their crime rates, the school is in Wayne and closest to the safest parts of Paterson. As a resident, I don't have to deal with the traffic on a daily basis, but even when I do go back and forth between home and school, there's many ways to bypass the traffic. Now that its location is out of the way, the academics here are better than the school's reputation would make you think. I've never really heard of anyone having trouble with registrar, but I have heard of many having trouble with financial aid. There's many ways you can get help though to pay for school and there's plenty of scholarships you don't even have to apply to. I received a large scholarship without even applying just based on my academics and involvement in high school. I made a last minute decision to go here on decision day after being stuck on my top school for five years, but after visiting that school again this fall for a football game, I realized that William Paterson University is where I belong. I have many opportunities to get involved and make a positive name for myself, all I have to do is apply myself.

Christine

WPUNJ is overall a pretty good school. While it might not have the "big brand" of Princeton or Rutgers, WPU is affordable (with plenty of scholarship opportunities and an excellent Honors College), beautiful (especially in the fall), and in close proximity to major shopping centers and NYC. The campus encourages student involvement, and there are plenty of clubs to join -- from Her Campus WPUNJ to Card and Board to the Pioneer Players.

Rebecca

As a music ed student at William Paterson, I've made some great connections. The music teachers in particular are incredibly helpful and dedicated, and often have professional careers outside of teaching, so they can share their experience and connections with you! Everyone in the program is really friendly and I've met more friends than I can count on both hands. The upperclassman are always happy to help out if you're struggling with music theory homework fifteen minutes before class, or having trouble with a difficult run in a new jury piece. There's always a party happening, and there's a fair amount of recreational drug use, but it's easy to avoid that stuff if it's not your thing. Housing is fair, depending on what building you're in. The honors dorms are awesome, but Overlook is kind of a mess most of the time. The food in the dining hall could use some work but the food court options are pretty good, and you can use pioneer express (school bucks included with the meal plan) at the Quickchek and CVS in walking distance, as well as a ton of diners and delivery places like pizza and chinese. Overall, I'm having an amazing time here, and I definitely recommend it to anyone who's looking for a real community during their time in college.

Niasia

Overall, William Paterson University is a great school. However like most Universities, it's what you make it. If you don't show up to class on time or at all, expect your grade to reflect that. Facility members won't go out their way for you, unless you might them half way. I'm sure that's not something to be surprised about, this isn't high school. The vibe on campus is copasetic at times, it's what you put in.

Przemek

Walking into a new school always causes some uncertainty. The idea of having professors that are hyped up to be more serious than the teachers we've had in the past, along with lectures, work, and a social life... it's just a mess that suddenly forms for new students. William Paterson knows how to alleviate the stress a lot. There are seminars, events, and even a mandatory class you must take during your first semester that helps you learn about the campus, its services, and the university's website. One assignment in particular that helps is a "Scavenger Hunt", which requires students to get signatures from workers in different buildings on campus. It familiarizes students with their school and simplifies the layout in theirs heads. Events are constant. There is even a "Free Time" scheduled on Thursdays where no students have classes to attend and in the middle of the campus there are different booths, games, and music. This allows students to socialize and meet new people, while also showing their school pride at the same time. It's just a unique way of getting students out of their comfort zone, in case making friends is difficult for them. Finally, the staff in each buildings consists of very kind people who are ready to support you in any way possible. If you need help finding your way around campus, want to talk about something in your field in more depth with someone, or anything else, then every building has someone that will willingly help. Many times you don't need to ask for anything. The staff with typically ask if you're looking for someone or something and assist you if you need help. Overall, the university puts a lot of focus on making students comfortable with the campus, activities, and so on. I would definitely recommend the steps they take to helping students to other schools.

Ra'eesah

William Paterson is a pretty cool school , getting involved is pretty easy but you really have to go for it. There is usually always something to do on campus so there is no need to stay in the dorms or go directly home after classes. The culture of the people on campus is pretty cool, very fun and interesting people.

Alli

I think William paterson is a great school and I have no complaints about it.

Machli

William Paterson University of New Jersey is a wonderful place and I can't wait to continue my education there.

While WillyP isn't always looked at as the best school on earth, there are amazing opportunities that they offer to encourage people who didn't think they were capable of more than average work. I came to WillyP from community college, not a star student at all, and now have my first scholarship to gain credits on study abroad (all-expense-paid) and an internship opportunity in Washington D.C.

Crystal

William Paterson University is a great school with amazing instructors. I've taken a couples courses there and got a certification in Phlebotomy. I understood it very well and if there were any questions, the instructor would always help. They are also very comprehensive and overall, it is great school with many opportunities.

Dillon

For an affordable public university that can prepare you for life in the future, William Paterson is a great option. They have great professors and advisors as well as plenty of things to do on and off campus. The jazz program is amazing here and there are always things the university is doing to get students involved and our University President is understanding when it comes to any issues that might affect a students day to day life. Now the food options here aren't the greatest, and the greek life is not that big here either, but if you can get past that William Paterson could be for you.

Jason

Will power. This is the driving force of William Paterson University. This college strives to help students with anything burdening them, whether it be financially, academically, or even emotionally. I have received many support from professors and counselors, especially from even students with free snacks and a good luck letter during finals. Its not a huge, well-known or famous college but its not just average either. This is my first college and so far, I'm having a great time here.

Charlene

Fantastic school with many opportunities. Civic engagement and community volunteers. Sports are loved and full of people enjoying themselves. Not an incredibley big party school but they are off campus and easy to avoid. Overlook dorms are noisy but easy to apply to other dorms. Food is ok and great in other places. Close to many stores and the mall and NYC. Great views of the city. Highly reccomended school. For music it is very good and there are many ensembles to join and be a part of.

Benewaa

Is a great school... you won't regret.

Andrea

The university is absolutely amazing. I fell in love with the campus after visiting the school for an open house. Every single person I have met at the school has been a huge help for me as I prepare to enter the college world. At first, I wasn't 100% sure where I wanted to go but after being at WPUNJ, I can truly say that i believe that this university will help me become a successful woman after I graduate.

A decent state university, with lower tuition than most. Over the past three years, several facilities have been renovated or built, and parts of the campus are woodsy and beautiful. There is a huge range of quality in professors and courses. Some are perhaps the best in their field; many are there for pay and resume. The effective professors are the kind that the student tries to keep in contact with; the apathetic, ineffective professors get fallen asleep on. William Paterson also tends to lean politically to the left. Conservatives are highly outnumbered in required social justice classes. Overall a decent experience.

Jeremiah

I am in love with my school. The people, professor, extra-curriculars make it very enjoyable for me. This is my second semester and I can honestly say I am looking forward to the next 2 years here. I am also a student athlete playing football and I have made bonds that I will have for the rest of my life with the players and coaches.

Michelle

I love WPUNJ. The campus is very clean and its easy to get around; the school provides various options for transportation for its students. The professors are very nice and try to help the student in various ways. The food could be better, but its edible. Many of the classrooms, if not all, are new and are maintained clean and organized. The bathrooms are all fairly clean and carry a dispenser for feminine products. The school has various resources for students to excel and pass.

Leslie

William Paterson University is my second home. Spending most of my time on campus has made my college experience so far amazing. I love the communications department for it has made me feel enthusiastic about getting my degree and working in my field. The people I have met and became friends with also make the college experience better on the daily basis. The scenery on campus is even beautiful and that's one of my favorite parts about dorming and being able to walk to my class from my dorm within 5 minutes. Overall, my experience here at WPU has been great so far and the resourses provided for us students are really benefitial during the process of earning our degree and preparing for our future.

Chris

Its a great school, affordable!!!!

Sandra

I love William Paterson University since I was a junior I took a Phlebotomy certified program and I loved it. The instructors were so nice and the size of the class was perfect. Everybody got to learn something new with no exceptions and the facilities are always well equipped.

Tiffany

My opinion on William Paterson University is Meh. The art program I think is fantastic-- however, living on campus is a not so fantastic experience. There's always litter in the lobbies, litter on the streets-- not to mention walking to the dorms are super sketchy and scary-- especially at night. There's not that much variety to food and I barely eat since I can be a very picky person. William Paterson has its downs but also its ups-- which is the art program. Thats pretty much it in my opinion. I plan to transfer to Montclair State University.

Anonymous

One of the more affordable schools in the area. Served its purpose as getting a bachelors degree. AND IF YOU LOVE YOURSELF AT ALL DO NOT TAKE SUSSANA TARDI FOR ANY CLASSES! I MADE THE MISTAKE OF TAKING HER FOR RESEARCH METHOD. THIS IS THE RUDEST MOST CONCEITED PROFESSOR I HAVE EVER TAKEN IN MY LIFE. SHE BELITTLES HER STUDENTS AND EXPECTS YOU TO NOT STAND UP FOR YOURSELF. IT GOT TO THE POINT WHERE I HAD TO KISS UP TO HER JUST TO GET A C- AND SHE ACCUSED ME OF BEING LAZY. THIS B*tch stirred up so much drama between me and my group mates, but will deny it. Her department is Sociology. On the other hand your first amendment rights on this campus is violated unless you’re liberal. Be careful of who you decide to be yourself around because people including liberal professors will judge you.

Vanessa

I am very happy with the education that I am receiving. Willy P have outstanding, well renown professors who are closely involved with the alumni. The library is very well equipped and the staff is trained to assist the users in the most effective way. Even though I am different than the majority of my classmates because I belong to a racial minority and also because of my age, I always feel fairly included . The environment is very safe and cafeteria is awesome!

Valerie

has a great school system they allow themselves to get to know their students and open with open arms , faculty is very helpful from full on support and studies , William Paterson is culturally diverse which I love and I feel comfortable with that because I get to be around people like me and learn more about people who aren’t like me which is great and could be a wonderful experience .

Kaitlyn

The campus itself is absolutely beautiful. All of the buildings are on the newer side and the small/large group studies rooms in a few of the newer halls are great for studying with classmates and friends. The professors are quite accommodating and let their students know what is expected out of them. There isn't an overwhelming drug or alcohol atmosphere on campus which definitely helps to make everyone feel safer. I am not a fan of the way they pick the the first semester's schedule for incoming freshmen, but the classes assigned are major-specific for the most part. William Paterson University overall overcame my expectations of what college would be back in June when I graduated high school.

William Paterson is a great school overall! I love attending and love all of my classes. The faculty and staff really want you to succeed and will help you out as much as they can to help you stay on track. The students are very friendly as well! The campus is very easy to navigate once you find your way around.

JaNaya

William Paterson University is a great school, the campus is beautiful and the people are welcoming. I knew it was the right school for me ever since I attended Acceptance Students Day. It is not too far from home and they want every one of their students to get involved in an extra curriculum activity. Since I am a business major, they have a 5 year business program. The staff is great, they are always ready to help their student and they always have different options to contacting their students.

William Paterson University was by far my favorite University I have visited. Touring the campus, with the very friendly and helpful tour guides made me fall in love with the campus. I am so beyond happy that I got accepted into this university! And I wait to attend here in the fall!

Pedro

it is a good schools and hopefully i can come back in the fall to start my freshman year

kimberly

My name is Kimberly Williams and I graduated from North Brunswick high and attending William Paterson university. Without a doubt William Paterson is a great school and provided me all the help and needs on my day of taking my placement test. The entire facility brings an excellent involvement for current students and students planning to attend. Not to mention the tasty Delicious various amounts of food they have. It was a great experience and I cant wait to start in the fall.

Tracy

It has a great art department, helpful and knowledgeable professors! A great reputable school!