Long Beach, CA
California State University-Long Beach

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State University-Long Beach

Patick

If they have daughters attending the school, look out for me, because I will most likely make a pass at them

There are more beautiful women here than I have ever seen at one place. The sporting events are awesome. Great campus

A person who doesn't want to have fun while receiving a quality education at the same time, or who doesn't want to shell out the HUGE tuition

A diverse and fun campus filled with many people and activities.

A diverse and fun campus filled with many people and activities.

Men and women going to school to get an education so that they can succeed in life but also having fun along the way.

I would suggest that the summer before senior year of high school students and their parents should start researching the schools that interest them. Find out as much as possible about the schools and use that to help them decide. One of the best ways to figure out if the school is right for you is to take tours of the school. If the schools have programs where prospective students can spend the weekend at the school then I would recommend doing that. Also to make the most of their college experience I recommend joining a fraternity/sorority and/or a club on campus. The best way to get to know people at a new school is to get involved and join clubs. Also another way to get to know people is by working on campus. Not only is it convenient but also it is a great way to make friends.

Beatriz

The classmates I have had are great; we help one another and do study groups; they are friendly, collaborative, cooperative and want to be successful.

First of all students should attend workshops that couId help them answers that they have concerning college admission and requirements. They should also talk to any career counselors that they have on their high school. IGoing to the career center could help them be infoprmed of any deadlines and events that concern important information regarding requirements for admission. Secondly, as a first time student entering college, they should have an idea or know what they want to major in. It is important to know what the student's career choice is because they have to look for a school that has that major. The student also should make sure that it has programs for their choice of major, so they could get involved in. Students should also interacr with an academic advisor at the school they wish to attend so they could get informed of what are the requirements in enetering the institution and the the program of their major, if any. It is important to be aware of deadlines that regard a student's life career and their academic success.

The academic services/advising do a great job in helping the students. I think that this is one of the most important resources in this school or any school. The people in academic advising help the students choose their classes. This is a great aid because students will be able to see what are they classes they need for general educatioon and for their major. Without this advising students would be lost and not kknow what to do. The faculty at Cal State Long Beach want you to succeed and have a long life career.

Nina

They are very into the subject since I mosty took medieval history classes and were typically History Chanel nerds.

Finding the right fit for college is not always easy. Its important that one visits the college numerous times to get a real feel of what they have to offer. Talk to other students that aren't part of the tour. Then once you've found the right college, try everything that seems remotely interesting. You can always drop things that lose your interest in. Most colleges have a lot of information the first few weeks of school. I am generally a shy person when it comes to this but opening up at these first few weeks makes all the difference. I was also able to live on campus which forced me to make friends outside of those I went to high school with. Try not to be shy, you never know what will spark your interest. It could be something you never imagined you would like. I got a job on campus. Not only did I get a discount on my books but I also became knowlegable with running a business which was far from my major.

Jerry

CSULB has many resources to help you academically, psychologically, physically, and socially. Being a mathematics major, I would certainly like to see a complete replacement of the faculty in that department, because they just don't see to be trying anymore. The campus is spacious, but the admissions department insists on admitting every person with a pulse, which causes big problems. There is literally a line for everything. Most folks respond, "Oh that's nice," when I tell them what school I attend. Most math majors, however, pity me. I spend most of my time in the on-campus LGBT Resource Center. Long Beach is generally regarded as "too quiet" (in contrast to LA and the Bay Area), and affordable housing is scarce, unless you're willing to cram five people into an apartment or rented house. I don't see a whole lot of school spirit or wise event planning. The recent Ludacris concert was a fundraising disaster. Despite all this, the students are friendly.

CSULB is has a very healthy mix of backgrounds and affiliations. I am part of the LGBT community and I feel right at home there. It is a very progressive school, and at times, almost too politically correct. Students from all over LA and Orange County who have different economic statuses attend there. Most students wear their street clothes (whatever that means) to class. There is a confusing trend sweeping the city which involves pricey clothes and pricier sunglasses, and this has definitely translated onto campus. As shallow as most of the students may seem, they show an amazing realization that it's more important to be happy with one's career, rather than to work hard for a high salary. Most students seem to be politically aware, and most seem to be lefties.

Math majors: stay away! Go to CSU Dominguez Hills or a UC instead!

If the class is 20 people or fewer, the professor MIGHT know your name. Most professors in my department don't care in the slightest. If you go to office hours, that improves your chances of being identified. My favorite "academic" class here was probably Science & Society (a G.E. satisfier). My least favorite class so far has been College Geometry (Math 355). Class participation is minimal, unless the professor forces it. Strangely, students do, in fact, have intellectual conversations outside of class, but they mostly involve reiterating what a professor has already said. I suppose the students are competitive to a certain degree, but most folks I encounter have very low self-esteem when it comes to academics. One of the more bizarre classes I've taken has been the Ethnic Experience (a G.E. satisfier), because it was led by four professors who each did a part. I am specifically doing the mathematics secondary education option, which involves the single-subject credential program. I have very grave concerns for the quality of the faculty in my department. I would strongly suggest reading reviews in ratemyprofessors.com before taking a mathematics course there. The common sentiment among students is that CSULB does everything within legal limits to keep you there as long as possible.

Teams and clubs definitely have a presence on campus. I'm involved with the LGBT Resource Center, and we usually have social and informative events multiple times each semester. I don't really notice people talking about campus sports events, but then again, I don't care. Guest speakers seem to be very popular and typically have good turnouts. There is the annual Pow-Wow and the Kaleidoscope festival where thousands flock all over the Southland. Since I don't live in the dorms, I can't say what they're like, but the campus is generally very quiet late at night (believe me, I've been there 'til 2:30 AM... nothing). It's a commuter school, so everyone goes home. Fraternities and sororities are big and recruit constantly. There is even a gay fraternity! Very cool. Off-campus activities are generally non-existent unless you are out to see a movie or go to get some very excellent Cambodian food.

California State University-Long Beach administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.