Richmond, KY
Eastern Kentucky University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Kentucky University

Patrick

I would tell myself to look at organizations to get involved in ahead of time and learn how to get involved.

Troy

I would tell myself to study study STUDY!!! I never had to study in high school, and now that I am in college thats all I have to do in order to be successful!

Nothing at all. I really can't think of anything I absolutely hate. The only thing that I might not like somewhat is the choice of food. We have a food court, but it doesnt really have a good choice of food. There are only 5 food stations, with food that really gets old fast!

BreAnna

It is a smaller school, I have never had a class with more than 50 people in it including biology lecture.

Be responsible and remember to keep a balanced social life as well as academic life.

EKU is very friendly. My department is particularly small and I get to know my professors very well!

EKU has a beautiful campus. There is a lot of school pride, and it's located in Richmond so there are two malls (fairly small but with good stores). On campus you will find a Chik-fil-a, a mexican restaurant (Zoca), grilled food (Grill Workes), Einstein bagels, Java Cafe, and a Quiznos. Everything you could ever want it found on EKU's campus.

EKU's student body is very diverse and anyone will fit it here!!

NO, they are not accurate. EKU is an amazing college full of wonderfully bright professors, staff, and students. AND, it is not a "party school", you only party if you want to and I have been going here for months and have not attended one party nor have i been invited to one. It's your decision whether you want to party or not!!!

Since EKU is a small campus most of the professors learn their students names, and have office hours if you want to meet with them outside of class to discuss problems you are havings. There are always hundreds of students at the library studying and it's very easy to find people making study groups.

People say EKU is a huge party school. People say that EKU is a bunch of hicks from KY

Nathan

The most unique feature about this campus is the living arrangements. Here Fraternities and Sorities live in dormitories together, they also can house you with people that are in your current degree program, you just do not find many schools were the housing arrangements are taylored to fit.

If I could go back and talk to myself in high school I would have stressed the point that college life is about having fun while doing good in class. I would also have explained that professors expect excellence out you rather than letting you slide like some high school teachers do. I would have reminded myself that hard work got me that grades in high school and to make sure that I carried them over with me as I made into college. The point would have been made that I was becoming an adult and remind myself that my parents wouldn't be there to get me up in the morning and help me along the way. Time management would have been part of the discussion. I would have also chosen to have come to EKU straight out of high school because that is where my occupational choice would lead me to in the future anyways.

The only downside that I can see towards EKU is their attendance policy. They only give you a certain amount of days that you can miss and if you go over, no matter what the reason, you recieve an automatic F for the course.

Jo

The best thing about EKU is that they care about you. Some schools are so large, they can not fully interact with every student. However, at Eastern, if you need to talk to somebody, just set up a meeting. The professors get to know you, and it helps you succeed in school. The worst thing is the parking. Parking is horrible here! There are never enough spots, and you find yourself driving around all over the place until you find one. Or somebody leaves. You find yourself parking your car until you absolutly HAVE to move it, because you know the hassel it is to get one.

These are false. Granted some students may be better off with money and drive a nicer car, it does not mean every EKU student is a rich snob. Also, we are not all partiers. Yes thursday night is typical here (like it is at ALL other colleges) but I bet EKU students just as much/little as every other college student. You have some fun when you need to, and you do your work when you need to.

Some stereotypes that I have been hearing are that we are rich snobby kids, driving around in porsches. I also hear that Eastern is all about the parties, and everybody is always drunk or high.

Alex

EKU is the perfect size. It has the big school feel, with athletics and nationally ranked programs, while still having a small campus size. EKU has very affordable tuition and offers TONS of scholarships, and you only have to write one essay that applies to all of them. NICE!!!!

Eastern has everything from the VERY wealthy to not so wealthy, just like every other university. People range in political viewpoints, which will be apparent come election time. As far as race and religion go, everyone is pretty much accepted regardless. There are big performances on Powell Corner dealing with Religion-LGBT, and I have never seen anyone do anything to bash or downplay it. Most students wear jeans, sweatshirts, basic college clothes. Of course you have extremes on both ends. If you are looking to be around alot of people go to Powell Corner or upstairs Powell around lunch time!!! CRAZY BUSY!

NOT AT ALL! EKU has tons of majors and lots of nationally recognized degree programs. My roommate is an Occupational Therapy major, which is amongst the top 25 programs in the nation, not to mention Criminal Justice, Forensic Science, Pro Golf Management, and many more!!! EKU has students from all across the country, that come from very diverse backrounds. This is very well accepted on our campus, and it seems like everytime I am at Powell corner, they are advertising new multicultural affairs programs. There are tons of clubs that ANYONE can join/start! As far as party school is concerned, I think it depends on the students personality. School is pretty much you want to make of it. If you want to party seven days a week, you will find it, regardless of what school you are at. The old "RICHMOND BAR SCENE" is pretty much nonexistent now. Not that there aren't things to do... there are just more mixers and parties now.

Like I said before, tons of programs and pretty good professors. Free tutoring is nice, and they have a writing center. In my experience, professors are always at their office hours and respond to emails. Since class size is small, you pretty much have to show up... but it's college, go figure. Use ratemyprofessors.com before picking your classes. It really helps!! Best Class: Dr. Gunderson's classes.. POL 280 (International Relations) or POL 415 (Terrorism and Political Violence). They are hands on and he gets you involved. They count as Gen. Ed's now too!!!

There are like 200 clubs on campus and you can always start your own! Everything from religious organizations, wakeboarding, greek life, student govt, etc. There are lots of dance/theatre productions, and small music concerts. There are big performers every year too... OAR, Corey Smith, One Republic, etc. They always have something going on for Thursday nights at Powell... like bingo, movies, and more free stuff. On weekends I play in intramural events (Dodgeball, soccer, flag football tournaments), greek life stuff, and work. If you put in the effort, there is no way you won't make friends... just don't sit in your dorm alone all the time. One thing I do wish that was different at EKU was school spirit. Athletic events are free, and we still rarely fill the stadium. The football team is actually decent, but my favorite is Hockey games! They play at midnight on Saturdays against like UK-UofL.

* Small school with little to offer. * No diversity. * Suitcase College * Party School

Joanna

People are not very friendly.. they're stuck up... most of them HAVE ALOT more money than my family did. Its the kind of place where you literally have to PAY for your friends. If you're not in a sorority or fraternity its HARD to make friends....

Not very diverse (in three words), and they're not open to alternative lifestyles... and in Kentucky THAT MEANS THAT YOU ARE NOT CHRISTIAN! LOL... keep in mind that this IS THE BIBLE BELT OF THE US... and most people are OLD FASHIONED!

I hated this school.... I couldnt believe at the end of the year that I had taken out LOANS to go there.. even after my in state tuition kicked in. I would NOT recommend it for out of state students.

Yes! + most of the students Have to go to college and drive around their porche boxters because their parents own a very successfull horse farm and they have little interest in academics. + Most of their students have never even seen a gay person, and there always seems to be an invisible magnetic field pushing people away from the PLAG tables at social events and gatherings. (Most guys do alot of gay bashing out in public) + I had 2 Male professors in my FIRST SEMESTER who displayed HIGHLY sexist behavior while teaching in their lecture style classes including: 1) refusing to call upon women who raised their hands, 2) segregating the class into men on one side and women on the other, 3) When you stuck around after class to ask questions neither of the men would look you in the face and spoke very demeaningly towards me as a woman, 4) That same man was givin A's to Charlie brown when his english resembled a 1st grader's skill level (English Lit), and I was mysteriously... for the first time in my life as a straight A english student in private highschool and in tradeschool (and published poet at the age of 14)... was barely getting C's. + THE FOOD in the cafeteria (upstairs Powel) is good the first few weeks.... I got food poisoning at least 3 times during the year, and I ate there a majority of the time. + The girls dorm up on the hill (Telford Hall) was in TERRIBLE condition, and the WALLS ARE CEMENT in the dorm rooms... my heat was broken for 2 months at the coldest part of the semester... and I had NO HOT WATER for a long time after that! + If you're a criminal justice major without a car... take the bus ' pickups one stop time early to avoid a missed bus (which means they sometimes never show up when theyr supposd 2)..... if you end up walking its VERY far from Telford hall BTW....

The academics were ok... besides the two sexist professors that I had. I complained to the dean and he told me that there wasnt much that he could do.. and that I should talk to the professors themselves. In the end I dropped both of the classes.

SUCKS... besides when Ghost hunters came.. that was alright....you have to go out of your way to meet people if you dont trust that the university will give you a decent room mate or PAY for your friends via frats/ sororities.

+ That they're a bunch of hill billies that have never been off of the farm before. + That they are not very friendly towards Gay and Lesbian students. + that their male professors are sexist. + that the food in the cafeteria sucks. + Their dorms are falling down OLD from the 60's! + The "justice" part of the school is a mile away from the rest of the campus

Be as prepared as you can be, and make sure that any orientation or program given for future students, you attend. These always give information that most likely wouldnt be told to you otherwise, and they are always a large help. I would also say find a school that you can truly see yourself in and feeling comfortable. Otherwise you will not have fun and gain the college experience you should, so deffinetly look at more than just a few schools so you can be sure that you picked the right one just for you!

That a lot of people do not stay during the weekend, most pack up and go home. I also would have liked to known how big the greek system was. Lastly, I wish i would have known how to recieve a job when i truly needed one.

Anyone fits Eastern Kentucky Univeristy, whether your shy or outgoing there is a group for you and everyone ends up feeling like its home!

Eastern Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.