Richmond, KY
Eastern Kentucky University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Kentucky University

Alex

EKU is the perfect size. It has the big school feel, with athletics and nationally ranked programs, while still having a small campus size. EKU has very affordable tuition and offers TONS of scholarships, and you only have to write one essay that applies to all of them. NICE!!!!

Eastern has everything from the VERY wealthy to not so wealthy, just like every other university. People range in political viewpoints, which will be apparent come election time. As far as race and religion go, everyone is pretty much accepted regardless. There are big performances on Powell Corner dealing with Religion-LGBT, and I have never seen anyone do anything to bash or downplay it. Most students wear jeans, sweatshirts, basic college clothes. Of course you have extremes on both ends. If you are looking to be around alot of people go to Powell Corner or upstairs Powell around lunch time!!! CRAZY BUSY!

NOT AT ALL! EKU has tons of majors and lots of nationally recognized degree programs. My roommate is an Occupational Therapy major, which is amongst the top 25 programs in the nation, not to mention Criminal Justice, Forensic Science, Pro Golf Management, and many more!!! EKU has students from all across the country, that come from very diverse backrounds. This is very well accepted on our campus, and it seems like everytime I am at Powell corner, they are advertising new multicultural affairs programs. There are tons of clubs that ANYONE can join/start! As far as party school is concerned, I think it depends on the students personality. School is pretty much you want to make of it. If you want to party seven days a week, you will find it, regardless of what school you are at. The old "RICHMOND BAR SCENE" is pretty much nonexistent now. Not that there aren't things to do... there are just more mixers and parties now.

Like I said before, tons of programs and pretty good professors. Free tutoring is nice, and they have a writing center. In my experience, professors are always at their office hours and respond to emails. Since class size is small, you pretty much have to show up... but it's college, go figure. Use ratemyprofessors.com before picking your classes. It really helps!! Best Class: Dr. Gunderson's classes.. POL 280 (International Relations) or POL 415 (Terrorism and Political Violence). They are hands on and he gets you involved. They count as Gen. Ed's now too!!!

There are like 200 clubs on campus and you can always start your own! Everything from religious organizations, wakeboarding, greek life, student govt, etc. There are lots of dance/theatre productions, and small music concerts. There are big performers every year too... OAR, Corey Smith, One Republic, etc. They always have something going on for Thursday nights at Powell... like bingo, movies, and more free stuff. On weekends I play in intramural events (Dodgeball, soccer, flag football tournaments), greek life stuff, and work. If you put in the effort, there is no way you won't make friends... just don't sit in your dorm alone all the time. One thing I do wish that was different at EKU was school spirit. Athletic events are free, and we still rarely fill the stadium. The football team is actually decent, but my favorite is Hockey games! They play at midnight on Saturdays against like UK-UofL.

* Small school with little to offer. * No diversity. * Suitcase College * Party School

Joanna

People are not very friendly.. they're stuck up... most of them HAVE ALOT more money than my family did. Its the kind of place where you literally have to PAY for your friends. If you're not in a sorority or fraternity its HARD to make friends....

Not very diverse (in three words), and they're not open to alternative lifestyles... and in Kentucky THAT MEANS THAT YOU ARE NOT CHRISTIAN! LOL... keep in mind that this IS THE BIBLE BELT OF THE US... and most people are OLD FASHIONED!

I hated this school.... I couldnt believe at the end of the year that I had taken out LOANS to go there.. even after my in state tuition kicked in. I would NOT recommend it for out of state students.

Yes! + most of the students Have to go to college and drive around their porche boxters because their parents own a very successfull horse farm and they have little interest in academics. + Most of their students have never even seen a gay person, and there always seems to be an invisible magnetic field pushing people away from the PLAG tables at social events and gatherings. (Most guys do alot of gay bashing out in public) + I had 2 Male professors in my FIRST SEMESTER who displayed HIGHLY sexist behavior while teaching in their lecture style classes including: 1) refusing to call upon women who raised their hands, 2) segregating the class into men on one side and women on the other, 3) When you stuck around after class to ask questions neither of the men would look you in the face and spoke very demeaningly towards me as a woman, 4) That same man was givin A's to Charlie brown when his english resembled a 1st grader's skill level (English Lit), and I was mysteriously... for the first time in my life as a straight A english student in private highschool and in tradeschool (and published poet at the age of 14)... was barely getting C's. + THE FOOD in the cafeteria (upstairs Powel) is good the first few weeks.... I got food poisoning at least 3 times during the year, and I ate there a majority of the time. + The girls dorm up on the hill (Telford Hall) was in TERRIBLE condition, and the WALLS ARE CEMENT in the dorm rooms... my heat was broken for 2 months at the coldest part of the semester... and I had NO HOT WATER for a long time after that! + If you're a criminal justice major without a car... take the bus ' pickups one stop time early to avoid a missed bus (which means they sometimes never show up when theyr supposd 2)..... if you end up walking its VERY far from Telford hall BTW....

The academics were ok... besides the two sexist professors that I had. I complained to the dean and he told me that there wasnt much that he could do.. and that I should talk to the professors themselves. In the end I dropped both of the classes.

SUCKS... besides when Ghost hunters came.. that was alright....you have to go out of your way to meet people if you dont trust that the university will give you a decent room mate or PAY for your friends via frats/ sororities.

+ That they're a bunch of hill billies that have never been off of the farm before. + That they are not very friendly towards Gay and Lesbian students. + that their male professors are sexist. + that the food in the cafeteria sucks. + Their dorms are falling down OLD from the 60's! + The "justice" part of the school is a mile away from the rest of the campus

Be as prepared as you can be, and make sure that any orientation or program given for future students, you attend. These always give information that most likely wouldnt be told to you otherwise, and they are always a large help. I would also say find a school that you can truly see yourself in and feeling comfortable. Otherwise you will not have fun and gain the college experience you should, so deffinetly look at more than just a few schools so you can be sure that you picked the right one just for you!

That a lot of people do not stay during the weekend, most pack up and go home. I also would have liked to known how big the greek system was. Lastly, I wish i would have known how to recieve a job when i truly needed one.

Anyone fits Eastern Kentucky Univeristy, whether your shy or outgoing there is a group for you and everyone ends up feeling like its home!

Heather

There are many things that EKU is known for. The one in particular is the police studies program. EKU has an amazing policing program that is known throughout the state of Kentucky. Not only do they train new policemen there but those who have been employeed are able to come and take extra classes as well.

The best advice that I could possibly give to parents and students when looking for the right college is to simply do their research. Picking the right college is just like picking anything else in life. There are many different types with different emphasis. The best thing is to make a list of possible schools then look information up online and once the list is altered afterwards then you go and visit each school. By visiting the school you are able to get a tangible feeling of what it would be like to be involved in that specific community.

What I brag about the most to my friends about my school is the student to teacher ratio. I love the fact that EKU has smaller classes. There are an average of 20 students in every class. This gives the professor the oppertunity to get to know their students and help them to the best of their ability.

Seth

Look up their majoring they're interested in. Look up as many on campus organizationsas possible such as Gospel ensemble, Frat, or Sorority and etc.

The ones that are too lazy to go to class and wanting to complete their work.

Just trying to get from one class to another.

Noelle

Something that is unique about my school compared to others is that is rural enough to have that hometown feel, but also close enough to the city so if you were ever to need anything you can drive there in less than 30 minutes. My school is also very southern-friendly I feel like. I grew up in Ohio and I still wanted to feel at home, and I do here at Eastern Kentucky University.

Some advice I would give to parents and their students when trying to pick the right college is to always remember that the size of the school does matter. When I picked my school it wasn't too big and not too small, so that gave me the at ease-at-home feel, which I absolutely loved. Pick a school that when you are walking on campus you run into people that you have met along the way, but run into someone new, which could in the end be a friend that you keep for a lifetime. Making the most of the college experience depends on the school, the friends you meet along the journey, and the activities you become involved in. Without the people that I have met and without the school that I have chosen I would not have gotten the ultimate college experience that EKU has given me and the wonderful journey that I have been on with the most unique and wonderful friends that I will always keep and remember because of the memories we have made.

The worst thing about my school in my opinion is being far away from where I grew up. It's 3 hours from my hometown, so I always consider it close enough sometimes, but also far enough sometimes. It's also in Richmond, KY so when we do clinicals for nursing, the worst part is having to drive farther away than I'd like, but it's something that you always get used to.

Melissa

Some are here just to get a degree, others care about there grades and put alot of work into there school, and the rest do what is necessary to get by.

It can be very overwelming when it comes time to start thinking about your future. What do you want to become? what do you want to do with yourlife. I found that It was easier to pick a college that was suited towards what I wanted to to with my education. If you want to become a nurse, it may be a good idea to look into universitys or colleges that have well known nursing porgrams. You also have to keep in mind how far away from your family you are willing to go. My first year of college I was a little over 3 hours from my family. I liked the independance, but I wanted to see my family more. Most importantly, when you are choosing your school, pick the one that will make you happy. Don't choose your school because you have a boyfriend/girlfriend and they are going to that school. Don't let your parents push you into a decision. You should choose the school that you like, and that you feel comfrotable at. After all, it will be your home for at least the next 4 years.

Somebody who is looking to attend a big college, or somebody who dosent want to be stuck in a small town.

Willing to learn and in the same boat you are, and wants you to succeed just as much as they would.

EKU is best known for its integrity and committment to excellence. The students here are prepared to venture out into the world and begin contributing to society.

To find the right college to attend, you must find one that once you attend, you will not want to leave. Parting from friends, professors, and the environment of the college saddens you. It should help make you a better person by influencing you learn and also how you will become once you begin your career.

Regina

Eastern Kentucky University is a beautiful campus. My classes were easy to find and in the same area. But the best part is how much is cost compared to the University of Kentucky. Eastern Kentucky University is the best choice for single parents or anyone who is watching their money. In addition the class sizes are smaller compared to the University of Kentucky. These two reasons together makes learning a lot easier, not only am I able to ask questions in the classroom but I don't have to worry about how I am going to live in the process.

College students need your support. You are their cheering section! If possible choose a college close to home to save your student the cost of living on their own. Of course this isn't alway possible or wanted so the best thing parents and students can do is to listen to each other. Parents have already been through college and want only the best for their student. What ever choice is made parents alway support your student, whether your student knows it or not they need you.

For me the worst thing about Eastern Kentucky University is the fact that I have to drive 35 miles to get there, one way. If that was not enough, parking can be a challenge, there seem to be more parking permits than there are parking places.

Nichelle

Research, research, and more research. Doing adequate research will allow for a student to find the appropriate college for them. What seems important as a junior in high school, usually isn't the same as a junior in college. Parents need to help students research different colleges, allow for road trips, campus visits, etc. Students need to take the time to look out at different colleges. Determine what degrees are interesting to them and try to find a college that has them all, because as students, we are always changing our minds.

The best thing about EKU was the campus. It was small and easy to navigate. Perfect for new or returning students.

Eastern Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.