Newberg, OR
George Fox University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Fox University

Ruben

A christian liberal arts school where most of the people attending are not liberal, in fact, they are quite conservative.

As far as finding the right college, do not decide on a college by what the website says. Make sure you visit every college you are seriously considering. Also I would say that it is very important that you spend a significant amount of time at the college in question. See if the schools offer a preview of the school where you can stay the night in the dorms and experience some of the campus life with the students. Make sure to ask lots of questions of the students since they are the ones that go to school there. As for making the most of the college experience, it depends on what you want out of the college experience. If you want to get down to business and get your degree, then do that. If you want to party hard and make lifelong friends, then that is your road. All things considered, the one thing that you must do is live on campus if possible. You will miss out on so much if you don't live among your classmates and experience life with them. Campus life is a truly great experience and cannot be missed.

That the people here were rather close-minded.

Brianne

My classmates were very competitve and most of us were constantly trying to outdo the others.

I would advise parents and students to really get to know the college they are applying to. Talk with advisors about classes, find out just how much financial aid you will be able to receive, visit the campus a few times, and just get generally familiar with the college. I think it's important to know a lot about a school before you go there. Make sure the programs you want are not only offered at your school, but alsoe see if they are good programs. One of the reasons I chose my school was because their program for my major was exceptional and they hook up jobs for people in my field right after graduation. Having a job almost guaranteed when I graduated was a huge boost. So, it's important to really understand what your school is going to offer you. You are the one who is paying money to go here. They get applicants all the time, so your application is just one among many. Get as much out of a school as you can. Make it about you and you will find a school that gives you what you want.

I wish I had known how few scholarships I was going to get so that I could take the time to fill out more.

Most were ok but there are always weirdos

Most were ok but there are always weirdos

Think about what yhou want otu of your college experience. It is a good place to discover alot of facts about your self but it is good to have an idea before so you don't get half way threw and figure out that you have screwed everything up. also don't listen to your parents, they have there own dreams and ideas firgure out your own.

Choose based on what is important to you because you only get one chance.

Choose based on what is important to you because you only get one chance.

The small class sizes and accessibility of professors.

Nate

Pick a place you want to live and a university with the majors you are considering but don't get too hung up on knowing exactly what you want to study. Most people I know changed majors at least once. Just pick a place with alot of choices you like.

The small class sizes. I don't think I would have learned nearly as much if I didn't get the attention I recieved in GFU's smaller classes.

How little there is to do in Newberg. Without a car you stuck in the middle of no where. I wish I didn't sell my car freshman year.

Rob

Seek around. Overall you need to make sure that you can visit the school. Finding your fit is not in the brouchers that you get in the mail, but rather spending some time, preferably overnight, on the campus. And parents, during that time, let your kid do their own thing. Let them experience the college for what it will be like, without you. Ultimately, you, the student, are in college for you, not your parents. You need to be in a major that leads you into a career that you want to do, not what your parents push you into. They may pressure you with financial support, but if they truly care about your desires, they will let you blaze your own trail. It's your life. Follow your heart. Don't let anybody tell you what path you have to take.

I find it amazing that the professors here are truly interested in the students. It is not uncommon to have a meal at a professors house or to share a conversation over a cup of coffee. Also the Res Life program is a finely tuned system of building community from new freshman to seniors, crossing the boundries of class years and forming lasting relationships.

I wish that I had known that you need to be intentional about forming relationships. There is so much going on that if you are not driven to form relationships with people in leadership, you can become overlooked. It is much easier to gain positions of leadership if you know people in other leadership positions before you apply. It isn't always what you know, but rather who you know. Thankfully on a small campus where aministration is happy to meet students, this is not difficult if you try.

Mark

Being the former college of President Herbert Hoover. Is very well known in the Pacific Northwest among business. It has a very good reputation.

Go visit the college and go with what feels right, it usually is.

The administration feels out of touch with the students. The meal plan options are expensive and poor. And the housing selection process could work a little better.

Jacob

My entire school and everyone in it feels like my family, everyone is loving and supportive and anyone will drop what they are doing to help out.

Take the time to look around and go where you feel most at home. Look at the little things around campus because the little things matter when you are always there, talk to as many students as possilbe to get their opinions.

Andy

Finding the right college is all about feeling like you belong. Research the type of school you think you want to attend and apply to a variety of places before deciding on one. Also, before making a final decision, visit the campus and talk to students and faculty about the school and the college life on that particular campus. Finding the right college for you is kind of like finding a spouse. You can't rush into a relationship and when you find the right one, you just know it is the right fit. Every aspect should be considered from housing to education, food to activities offered, and campus size and location. I got lucky. I only applied to two colleges and was accepted to both but upon visiting the first one I realized that I did not want to go there because there was excessive partying. The second school I visited was radically different. Teachers are involved with students and even have them over for dinner from time to time. The entire University is founded on the principles of serving others and being good citizens.

I consider the worst thing about my school to be how far away it is from my hometown. It is only about 4 hours away but it is right on the brink to where I do not get to see my high school friends as often as I would like to.

I would say that the only people that would not feel at home at George Fox are those that want their college experience to be that of partying and getting high because George Fox has a dry campus policy against those acts. However, I think that those people SHOULD attend this school and I think that it is a good school for anyone to come to because of its strong moral code and its emphasis on community service.

Katie

A christ centered commmunity that provides great academics.

A christ centered commmunity that provides great academics.

It is important to find a school that is the right size for you. Some need the huge state school while some find the smaller colleges a better fit. I personally believe that a private school education is worth the money. You ahve smaller class sizes where you actually get to know the professor and in my opinion get more out of the class. Private schools, especially religious affiliated ones provide a great community to be a part of. Do your research ahead of time and make sure they have the major you want and how long the program is. A school with a good variety of majors is great in case you change you mind and switch majors once you have already started.

We dont get wireless internet in the on-campus dorms or apartments.

George Fox University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.