Newberg, OR
George Fox University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Fox University

Kindra

Take it seriously and know whats important to you and whats not. Be sure you know what you want and need and apply to the school that comes the closest even if it seems out of your range financially. It is surprising once you start chipping away at it, how quickly the tuition gets covered. I'd also recommend looking at a minimum of four schools and visiting each one of them. The on campus visit tells you a lot about the students and faculty that you can't find out any other way. I'd also recommend getting involved in as much as you can from the start. Volunteering is a great way to meet people. Don't be afraid to ask for help. I have a severe learning disability and was intimidated about attending "college." I was surprised how much help is available and how accomodating my professors are if I just sit down a talk to them ahead of time. I'd say you shouldn't worry if you are nervous or even a bit fearful - that's a good thing because you can almost gaurantee that everyone is. Be authentic and transparent and hang in there.

I think the tuition is too high and a lot of people who might like to attend can't afford to. There is financial aid available but the debt may or may not be worth it depending on the degree obtained. I also think they could do a little better job at student retention.

Someone who is focused on their education and desires a close knit "community." Someone who wants to interact with their professors and other students. It is difficult to just be part of the crowd. Someone who wants to be involved in serving the community at home and abroad.

Dani

Don't feel like you have to find the "perfect fit" school, because chances are there will be things you love and things you don't like so much. However, that's part of the growing experience. I once heard that there are 3 ideal things in college: good grades, sleep, and a social life, and that you can only pick 2. I've since discovered that this is usually true. College needs to be about balance, but also pursuing the things you really enjoy doing. Do care about your grades, because that's what you're paying money for, but don't forget about your friends either, because they really do make your experience more positive. Get involved; even if it's a pain at first, you may get to meet people and have experiences that you otherwise wouldn't have. Get to know your professors and ask for help if you need it, because it will make things much less stressful in the long run. And of course, avoid all-nighters if you can; they can be good bonding experiences, but it's not worth catching mono over!

I do not think that there is anything I strongly wish that I would have known now that I did not know then. Everything that I have learned about this school has had to be learned through experiences, such as how difficult certain classes or professors are, or how best to budget study time, etc. I feel as though I am a different person in some ways since I have attended George Fox University, but I do not think that this was anything that I could possibly have known ahead of time.

I don't like to make distinctions as to who "should" or "should not" attend a school, because I think that anyone can make or break their college experience by how they choose to go about it. For instance, some people may say that non-Christians shouldn't go here, and while the school is strongly Christian, I also know of non-Christians currently attending this school that really enjoy it. There are majority views and opinions here, but I've been able to enjoy my schooling even though I do not always fit the stereotypical political or religious views.

Nicholas

Start Early, and Visit Campuses. The earlier you start the easier it will be for you. Some schools have deadlines for housing appications, and some will charge you for late registration. Starting early also allows you to do campus visits, some even have weekend stays. By visiting a campus you can get a feel for the community and what your potential experience could be like, don't necessarliy take everything for face value though, the food service at my schools was notorius for bringing out the best food when we had campus visits, or weekend stays.

specifically What I wanted to Major in, its difficult to catch up if you change.

The Food Service is the worst. Deffinitely Don't Det your Moneys Worth

Ruben

A christian liberal arts school where most of the people attending are not liberal, in fact, they are quite conservative.

As far as finding the right college, do not decide on a college by what the website says. Make sure you visit every college you are seriously considering. Also I would say that it is very important that you spend a significant amount of time at the college in question. See if the schools offer a preview of the school where you can stay the night in the dorms and experience some of the campus life with the students. Make sure to ask lots of questions of the students since they are the ones that go to school there. As for making the most of the college experience, it depends on what you want out of the college experience. If you want to get down to business and get your degree, then do that. If you want to party hard and make lifelong friends, then that is your road. All things considered, the one thing that you must do is live on campus if possible. You will miss out on so much if you don't live among your classmates and experience life with them. Campus life is a truly great experience and cannot be missed.

That the people here were rather close-minded.

Brianne

My classmates were very competitve and most of us were constantly trying to outdo the others.

I would advise parents and students to really get to know the college they are applying to. Talk with advisors about classes, find out just how much financial aid you will be able to receive, visit the campus a few times, and just get generally familiar with the college. I think it's important to know a lot about a school before you go there. Make sure the programs you want are not only offered at your school, but alsoe see if they are good programs. One of the reasons I chose my school was because their program for my major was exceptional and they hook up jobs for people in my field right after graduation. Having a job almost guaranteed when I graduated was a huge boost. So, it's important to really understand what your school is going to offer you. You are the one who is paying money to go here. They get applicants all the time, so your application is just one among many. Get as much out of a school as you can. Make it about you and you will find a school that gives you what you want.

I wish I had known how few scholarships I was going to get so that I could take the time to fill out more.

Most were ok but there are always weirdos

Most were ok but there are always weirdos

Think about what yhou want otu of your college experience. It is a good place to discover alot of facts about your self but it is good to have an idea before so you don't get half way threw and figure out that you have screwed everything up. also don't listen to your parents, they have there own dreams and ideas firgure out your own.

Choose based on what is important to you because you only get one chance.

Choose based on what is important to you because you only get one chance.

The small class sizes and accessibility of professors.

Nate

Pick a place you want to live and a university with the majors you are considering but don't get too hung up on knowing exactly what you want to study. Most people I know changed majors at least once. Just pick a place with alot of choices you like.

The small class sizes. I don't think I would have learned nearly as much if I didn't get the attention I recieved in GFU's smaller classes.

How little there is to do in Newberg. Without a car you stuck in the middle of no where. I wish I didn't sell my car freshman year.

Rob

Seek around. Overall you need to make sure that you can visit the school. Finding your fit is not in the brouchers that you get in the mail, but rather spending some time, preferably overnight, on the campus. And parents, during that time, let your kid do their own thing. Let them experience the college for what it will be like, without you. Ultimately, you, the student, are in college for you, not your parents. You need to be in a major that leads you into a career that you want to do, not what your parents push you into. They may pressure you with financial support, but if they truly care about your desires, they will let you blaze your own trail. It's your life. Follow your heart. Don't let anybody tell you what path you have to take.

I find it amazing that the professors here are truly interested in the students. It is not uncommon to have a meal at a professors house or to share a conversation over a cup of coffee. Also the Res Life program is a finely tuned system of building community from new freshman to seniors, crossing the boundries of class years and forming lasting relationships.

I wish that I had known that you need to be intentional about forming relationships. There is so much going on that if you are not driven to form relationships with people in leadership, you can become overlooked. It is much easier to gain positions of leadership if you know people in other leadership positions before you apply. It isn't always what you know, but rather who you know. Thankfully on a small campus where aministration is happy to meet students, this is not difficult if you try.

Mark

Being the former college of President Herbert Hoover. Is very well known in the Pacific Northwest among business. It has a very good reputation.

Go visit the college and go with what feels right, it usually is.

The administration feels out of touch with the students. The meal plan options are expensive and poor. And the housing selection process could work a little better.

George Fox University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.